ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some threads back, another poster phrased it perfectly regarding today's media. I can't remember his/her exact quote, and I am being lazy for not scrolling through all the threads to find it, but I also share this person's opinion in that unfortunately, it is more important to today's media to get it out there quickly and to be first to report it than it is to be accurate.
I believe there is also a tendency for reporters to use other media reports as their "sources" without independently verifying the information. So one story gets a fact wrong, and it keeps getting passed around and never corrected. Certainly there are times reporters need to keep a source secret, but I think they are abusing that privilege. I am always suspicious when a news article makes a statement and then says "sources say." Instead of naming that source. It is lazy and dishonest, but they rarely get called on it.

I know that as more time goes on, without an arrest or named suspect or POI, the more likely it seems that the killer of these young people was someone completely unknown to them, but I just cannot yet make that leap. I have never had a strong sense that the killer is someone in any of their tight circles, but I have always felt, and still feel, that when the killer is identified, and I believe that they will be, it will be someone that will be recognized by someone who IS a part of some of their circles. For example, "oh yeah, that guy came into the restaurant a few times while K or X were working", or "yeah, that guy was checking K and M out at the club, and kept trying to hit on them", or "yeah xxxx knew that guy, and they had words about something", or "that guy works for xxxx, and delivered xxxx to the house", or something of the sort.

As to who may have actually been "the target", if there was one, and I believe the target was a person, and not the house, I initially had a strong sense that the target was either Kaylee or Maddie, because they were both single and attractive, and seemed to always hang out together, and then I began to think that Ethan and/or Xana were the targets, perhaps due to some animosity between one or both of them, and a third party, that perhaps boiled over at the frat party that night, as LE seems to hint that something may have happened there. Now I am back to not having any strong sense of who the target was, though I do strongly believe that at least a couple of the four who died just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also believe that if there was any campus "Greek" connection, it would have been associated with the frat and neither of the sororities that the girls were associated with.

I hope that the investigators who have worked this case so tirelessly, since the beginning, were able to spend some down time with family and loved ones over the holiday, and get some rest, and will return to work recharged, and with the continued steely determination to find and bring this heinous murderer to justice. JMO

Last edited:
I do think those mags have a way of getting to folks though, and IIRC DM pays for photos (I may be mistaken if so apologies to DM...).
I have never worked for DM so I can't confirm firsthand knowledge. However, secondhand, I absolutely do know they pay for stories, photos and videos, if accepted for publication, and there are even agencies that will negotiate with DM on your behalf.

My interpretation is that K and M were at least somewhat friendly with HG

IMO that doesn't preclude M being angry at him for the proceeding conversation caught on surveillance earlier. We don't have the ensuing conversation between the three of them from the surveillance earlier and the Grub Hub to give more context to that "FU Mister" and them taking off on him.

JMO
I don't think the FU is directed at HG. And i don't think it was real anger. KG is laughing pretty hard several times while they are waiting for the food.

What type of military programs does the UI offer if any?
I am sorry. Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I said medical student, not military.

As far as the knife goes, there are those who collect knives, including knives used in popular video games. Also it has not been established by LE that it was a military type knife, only that it was a fixed blade knife. All the rest is just speculation.

JMO

I believe there is also a tendency for reporters to use other media reports as their "sources" without independently verifying the information. So one story gets a fact wrong, and it keeps getting passed around and never corrected. Certainly there are times reporters need to keep a source secret, but I think they are abusing that privilege. I am always suspicious when a news article makes a statement and then says "sources say." Instead of naming that source. It is lazy and dishonest, but they rarely get called on it.
Very true. And it's very lazy. And although sometimes a reporter needs to keep a source secret, the higher-ups and legal department at publications should be verifying that source (MOO not asking for verification is akin to malpractice on those higher up the chain than the reporters). IMO "anonymous source" in print should come with a bit of explanation so you understand why they must remain anonymous ("who is a current member of the administration") so the reader has faith that the source would indeed have this information. And a news story should never be sourced only from "according to XYZ News" or whatever, because that's how we get into this game of telephone where the story gets more distorted with every telling.

I think you're trying to say this is a complex case, agreed....

Still going with my notion inside job with extended social circle.

Also something else not adding up for me.....if there's by all accounts, a defensive struggle with either E or X on the middle floor, there's no way the two surviving first floor roommates don't hear ANYTHING in the supposedly 'creaky, hear everything' house, not buying it.

Someone knows something

Moscow isn’t a ‘rural small town’ in the way that I would use those words. Maybe because I live 10 min outside of a city similar to Moscow?
To me ‘rural small town’ describes cities in the Dylan Rounds case, but I would add isolated to those. Moscow isn‘t isolated.
Interstate hwy 95
Major chains of restaurants/ businesses
30 min from Pullman, 5.5 hours from Boise
Major employers- I’m guessing
- university
- public school district
-city government/ services
- retail, shops, dining
- health care
- trade

How does this help us understand the killer and this crime? I’m not sure

JMO
I suppose what I am suggesting is that a short distance away from the city center a sparse density community may be found easily. The distance between major cities is long. Modern convenience and the supporting community of the university to the businesses doesn't define the sense of the culture isolated from it's surroundings. A liberal arts university with all the accomodations set within a conservative region.

This article from a previous Alumni and reporter seems to highlight the a less than ideal oasis where murder is not a stranger and how the national press from outside may skew the reality of the situation.

So much that is not known and how we may be influenced by what is shared.

Or maybe after the break up she was having a hard time and wanted to be home, MOO (really just a possible scenario) I do agree it’s a bit strange she was home at that time so close to end of school year
I've been thinking the same thing about the break up. I bet she found it really difficult in the first place to break up with her boyfriend of 5 years. Adding to that, they lived very close to one another in Moscow. I think it's difficult to sever ties with someone if you have the same friend circle and are always running into each other. She probably needed her space and decided to move back home to make a clean break from her ex and to make the move to Texas easier on her emotionally. JMO.

IMO that doesn't preclude M being angry at him for the proceeding conversation caught on surveillance earlier. We don't have the ensuing conversation between the three of them from the surveillance earlier and the Grub Hub to give more context to that "FU Mister" and them taking off on him.

MOO Someone saying "FU mister" isn't meant as angry or to be a retort to a rude or hostile comment, in fact just the opposite, in more of a joking back or silly way. If it was "FU Ahole" that would be different. Again just from my experience.

Also IMO, I dont necessarily think they took off on him or were trying to get away from him...there food was ready and I would bet the Uber had pulled up and waiting on them. There was no reason to hang out any longer, hot food in hand...time to eat.

@rsd1200

Good to see you on here.

I agree. This case has been discussed endlessly amid many rumors and speculation on SM. Maybe it is to be expected since we are dealing with a very social crowd of young people who live their lives on SM, with a cell phone glued to their ear. Makes me thankful for WS where there has to be a link.

Not like the last case we were on where everything was kept in one family. The good thing about young people who are very active socially and on SM, they very rarely can keep a secret for long. I expect when they are home with families and old friends something is going to slip that gives a break in this case.

JMO

Based on the tone and inflection, the voice sounds more irritated than being attacked. I would expect more urgency and fear. This just sounds like someone dealing with an unruly child or pet, maybe a boyfriend acting immature.
I believe it has been discussed and documented that the distance from the home is way too far with several buildings in between for any scream within a home to be heard through the body cam. A scream from a group of kids messing around yes perhaps.

I do think those mags have a way of getting to folks though, and IIRC DM pays for photos (I may be mistaken if so apologies to DM...).
I think that was said before in other cases, that DM pays for photos and sometimes interviews.

JMO

Based on the tone and inflection, the voice sounds more irritated than being attacked. I would expect more urgency and fear. This just sounds like someone dealing with an unruly child or pet, maybe a boyfriend acting immature.
I agree. But as I stated that may be what the neighbor thought was a scream since it occurred near the building he was in at around the time of the murders. Not trying to alibi the neighbors story, just pointing out what he may have heard.

JMO

I suppose what I am suggesting is that a short distance away from the city center a sparse density community may be found easily. The distance between major cities is long. Modern convenience and the supporting community of the university to the businesses doesn't define the sense of the culture isolated from it's surroundings. A liberal arts university with all the accomodations set within a conservative region.

This article from a previous Alumni and reporter seems to highlight the a less than ideal oasis where murder is not a stranger and how the national press from outside may skew the reality of the situation.

So much that is not known and how we may be influenced by what is shared.

Interesting read. Getting to know an area/region through the eyes of those who live, or have lived there, always helpful.

Good to see you here.

JMO

since they still haven't caught him or have any big clue as to who the killer is, i'd argue he didn't leave all that much.

That is assuming that LE does not know who the killer is and just does not have enough evidence to arrest yet hence the call for more info. We can never assume what the police know and what they don't.

JMO
I highly doubt that LE will keep a person that has killed 4 people violently just walking around and celebrating Christmas. If they even have the slightest, slightest suspicion on a suspect, they'd have already put him in custody and tried to get a confession or build a case on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
little red riding hood