ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As it was a multiple stabbing, the killer would be drenched in blood (sorry for visual) and very very likely to have cut himself. Apparently blood is the consistency of motor oil, very slippery and easy for his hand to get accidentally cut too.
If he used a K-Bar-style knife, then the knife had a hilt. Many killers cut themselves when the hand slides down onto the blade, which can easily happen with the typical kitchen knife. A hilt would prevent that from happening, so I'm not convinced that he would have cut himself at all.

As for blood having the consistency of motor oil, I think that that could be an exaggeration. I've cut my hands more times than I can count (while working on my car, chopping vegetables, etc.), and I haven't noticed that.

I was part of a Greek organization - that depiction is not completely off. The “only hang out with x” is off, but there is definitely a code of protect your brothers that was mentioned. I often wonder how we would have acted in this situation. I realize the severity of the crimes, but would we, being young men 18-22, have been forthright with info? I’d like to think we would have, but we also lived a code to always protect a brother. It would not have been so straightforward.

A brother was murdered. How would your code have dealt with that?

Moscow police chief floats potential release of 911 call

"I think it'll be released when the prosecution believes that we can release that," Fry said of the call, which police have so far said little about, other than that it was placed from a surviving roommate's phone and that multiple people spoke with the dispatcher.

"That may be at trial," Fry told the Spokane-based KREM-TV in a rare sitdown interview. "That may be before then."

I think anyone who is positively identified in that bar video will be requestioned, especially if their presence at the bar at that time is not in concordance with a previously stated alibi. No one has been cleared; some people are believed not to be involved "at this time," per LE.
I think so too, I hope LE will call in those people again, LE was pretty quick to dismiss many people initially, I hope they will do some additional questioning.

I feel like "context" means the investigators are saying to the students, residents and perp(s), "We know what happened, we know who is plausibly capable and very likely guilty of this crime BUT we are still trying to understand WHY."

Motive is important when it comes to questioning, getting to a confession, or in a trial, getting to a conviction.
I agree, context has to mean motive.

But without motive how can they have plausible suspects at this point?

If he used a K-Bar-style knife, then the knife had a hilt. Many killers cut themselves when the hand slides down onto the blade, which can easily happen with the typical kitchen knife. A hilt would prevent that from happening, so I'm not convinced that he would have cut himself at all.
The K-Bar style (especially a high quality one) also has a nonslip handle, no need to describe what "substances" it was designed to resist slippage against, Im sure you know.

It's news to me. To whom would you even report that, the DMV?
CarFax and there are at least 10 other lesser known companies that provide vehicle data. If the car has been deemed a Total Loss the DMV will then be notified by the insurance company before it is sold as salvage at an auction. This ensures the title will always be a "Salvage Title" so if the vehicle is rebuilt and resold the buyer will know the previous history.

Last edited:
Agreed. And if this is, according to many reports and LE, a long-standing party house, the problem isn't eliminated by murdering the current residents.
Well, technically it solves the problem of it being a party house as most likely nobody will party (or live for that matter) there for many many years. Someone already mentioned here that with this kind of history the building would probably be razed.

This is just a digression though. Anyway, I don't think a loud house would trigger annoyed neighbour to kill the inhabitants. With time passing, I'm leaning more and more towards a serial killer with already developed MO (kills at night when victims are asleep, uses a knife, eluded Police for some years already, does his research prior to attack, knows his exit routes, uses "burner type" means of transportation)... Hate the idea but it seems more and more like a logical explanation to me. I really hope he makes a mistake soon. Just MHO.

IMO. Seems like this probably was planned for some time due to what appears to be very few leads and trails. Most likely the suspect had the ability or means to enter undetected due to having a key or some insider or other way in that others may not know about. Then possibly being able to hide undetected until the victims got home and fell asleep and later killing each victim while they slept. Then possibly using the same undetected way out as was taken in. Thus, the house should be searched for any connecting hidden passages or undetected ways in and out such as in the attic, basement, walls, etc.

@10ofRods thank you for confirming that what you stated about the heart and arteries/veins being intentionally avoided during the stabbing were only your opinion. It appeared that you were stating it as fact when I was reading it since I didn’t see any reference to it being your opinion.
Maybe she finished her credits over the summer, but the school didn’t offer a grad ceremony until the end of fall semester… that’s how it was when I graduated about a million years ago

That was the second complaint call in two hours, and was likely the same evening as the other noise complaint call that we have seen, when one of the surviving roommates came to the door. The responding officer told her they could hear the music before they even pulled up to the house.

It really does sound like that house was party central. I have really never given any consideration to the chance that they may have been murdered by an irate neighbor, or someone connected to a neighbor, but now I may not rule it out. It doesn't seem that the tenants were especially considerate neighbors, as far as noise goes. I wonder how many of their close neighbors were non-students. I hope they have all been questioned and interviewed. JMO
I agree that the irate neighbor hypothesis can't be ruled out. Having lived for years in a location where my expected peace was regularly disrupted by noise violations from the same business, I know how the stress and anger can build over time, especially when repeated appeals to the business owners and complaints to local LE seem to be completely ineffectual. My neighbors and I would vent to each other and, occasionally, fantasize about petty acts of revenge (none of which were ever carried out). But what if, in the case of 1122 King, a neighbor was already on shaky ground in terms of their mental health and/or did not have healthy/non-violent outlets for their rage. What if, over time, that rage manifested in an increasingly detailed revenge fantasy that, in effect, amounted to premeditation, if not planning?

To me, a complicating factor with this hypothesis is the (ostensibly) higher level of scrutiny that neighbors of the victims would face in the immediate aftermath of the killings. I imagine that the combination of living in close proximity to 1122 King and having made repeated noise complaints against the house/its occupants might put a person on LE's radar and/or raise suspicions among those close to the complainant. The ability to evade suspicion might be higher if the individual lived alone and didn't talk much with others about their frustrations. Another potential complicating factor is LE's persistent focus on the Elantra. If the killer were an irate neighbor, what would be the role of the Elantra in the crime? Getting to and from the crime scene on foot would seem like the preferred option in this scenario, though a vehicle may have been useful for getting rid of evidence. Still, if a neighbor was known to own/use such a vehicle and the vehicle suddenly disappeared after the murders, that would raise a huge red flag. Always the possibility the Elantra is a red herring, I suppose, or that LE genuinely thinks the occupants were not involved in the commission of the killings but saw something of significance. (IMO that is hard to buy).

New bar footage photo released.

View attachment 390428

Sorry, but I guess I should know...

But is the 3rd guy from the right with the black hat on backwards, white shirt underneath, grey jacket and black pants... the same guy that was seen walking with them at the grub truck?

Was that known already to be the same person?

Maybe she finished her credits over the summer, but the school didn’t offer a grad ceremony until the end of fall semester… that’s how it was when I graduated about a million years ago
Sometimes things are beyond our control with credit hours primarily because of accreditation. In grad school I was delayed graduation because of one credit, thus I completed in the summer and had to re enroll for one credit hour and technically graduated in December. Bummer.

I think anyone who is positively identified in that bar video will be requestioned, especially if their presence at the bar at that time is not in concordance with a previously stated alibi. No one has been cleared; some people are believed not to be involved "at this time," per LE.
I remember hearing weeks ago the CC could have been at capacity that night. I tried to find how many patrons that place was licensed for but couldn't find anything just to get an idea how many people would have been on camera and needed to be identified if that's what they were looking at.

I feel like "context" means the investigators are saying to the students, residents and perp(s), "We know what happened, we know who is plausibly capable and very likely guilty of this crime BUT we are still trying to understand WHY."

Motive is important when it comes to questioning, getting to a confession, or in a trial, getting to a conviction.

Just my opinion.
Agree, they are attempting to solidify the pattern so that a clear and solid story may be told in the case of each victim. The how, where, what, why, when of each well before and well after. That is the purpose of the request for more witness evidence.

IMO. Seems like this probably was planned for some time due to what appears to be very few leads and trails. Most likely the suspect had the ability or means to enter undetected due to having a key or some insider or other way in that others may not know about. Then possibly being able to hide undetected until the victims got home and fell asleep and later killing each victim while they slept. Then possibly using the same undetected way out as was taken in. Thus, the house should be searched for any connecting hidden passages or undetected ways in and out such as in the attic, basement, walls, etc.
A Google map view reveals a wooded area that curves from the back of the home to a main road. I would have parked near that area rather than near the home. I don't believe this type of home would have hidden passages. Its not an old manor or such. It is a basic home layout designed to maximize the bedroom count and space. I suppose behind the steps is a likely place for storage but in reality, for what purpose ? are you suggesting the perp dug a tunnel that leads out to the main road ?

So common motives for murder and how they would apply to this case.

Motive

Drugs-Sure they probably partake in typical college recreational drug use. Smoked a bit of weed most likely. That not likely to lead to this type of crime. Not like they were drug kingpins.

Sex- With attractive women you always have to consider as motive. No sign of rape or sexual assault though. Could be killer who gets sexual thrill out of the kill though.

Money-Broke college kids so not likely they have much cash. But people get killed for what would amount to chump change.

Jealous- Someone was jealous of there popularity and social status. Maybe some incel who was jealous they they had what he did not.

Revenge-They pissed off the wrong person.

Random Serial Thrill / Killer-Ted Bundy type killer. Like when he committed coed murders in Florida

Which motive do you think is more likely? Or another motive you like more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18