ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree it’s definitely not as simple as buying a knife, but, if you really want a gun, there are definitely ways to get one. Maybe they knew they’d be subjected to a wide-cast net if they bought one recently, maybe their family would notice one was missing or they had unique guns that people could tie to them, or maybe they really wanted to use a knife because it’s an entirely different act vs killing someone with a gun.

This person really does give me the creeps because of the sheer brutality. I also think he was lurking and waited for them to go to sleep so it would be “easier” to accomplish.

It just really takes a strong constitution and a lot of stamina to murder 4 people like that. It’s a different kind of killer.
I suspect he's killed before. We don't know exactly how/where he stabbed each person, but he knew what he was doing.

A complete dumpster fire. I think they were totally in over their heads (no offense to them because these crimes don’t happen very often) and since we have half of the FBI there and their behavioral unit (which is also another sign it’s not a clear case) — things will hopefully be tightening up a bit.

My other theory about why they didn’t think there was a danger at first was because they thought, in my opinion, it was probably a murder-suicide. And then they never found the weapon. And then they realized everyone was killed the same way. And then, by that time they were really late to the investigation.

Yep. Whether they believed it to be an isolated targeted killing or a murder suicide is really no excuse IMO for LE to be making their original statements. There is no way they had enough to go on at that point to be trying to reassure people that all is well and there's nothing to be concerned about. From what that crime scene sounds like, they should have been preaching caution and safety.

Crazy case.

I hope the families, friends, and community get their justice asap.

Does anyone know the ratio of students, vs. grown towns people who live in the neighborhood? Like 80 percent college kids? I have no idea. And if it was known as a party house, I wonder how many noise complaints were filed by locals? I’m long out of college, so I have no idea how kids “party” these days. I saw a picture of a White Claw box. It may not even belonged to them. But if you go by one White Claw box, that’s mild partying in my opinion.
I do get tired of media harping on the “party” word. Heck, I was so boring in college, and yet I did my fair share of smoking weed.

My thoughts / speculation on the “uber” ride home, from most to least likely:
1. The girls took a Lyft (used ’uber’ as a general term, even to the sister. Uber has confirmed no official ride via their service)
2. The girls planned to take a ride-share, but instead saw a friend/acquaintance at the Grub truck and rode with them. Quite easy in fact to misremember ‘we took an uber’ when intoxicated when in fact they planned to Uber but instead rode with ‘Jane from class’ / ‘Sam from Chi Omega’
3. The girls rode with an ‘off-book’ Uber/Lyft driver. I’ve gone though their public Venmo accts - which both used at least on a weekly basis and no evidence of this. Could be they used cash app or Zelle for this, but I’d guess less likely
4. The girls took a ride from someone they didn’t know, as part of a campus service (e.g., when I was in both college and grad school at different institutions, both had ‘no questions asked’ safe ride services from students who would volunteer to drive you/your car home to avoid drunk driving). I give this one as a possibility just to show the range of plausible. I think this is unlikely.

IMO, the killer was not the driver.
I'd love to know how they got home, too!

"MOSCOW, Idaho – A "private party" drove two of the University of Idaho homicide victims home just hours before they were murdered in their beds, police said Friday.

University students Ethan Chapin, 20, Xana Kernodle, 20, Kaylee Goncalves, 21, and Madison Mogen, 21, were stabbed to death in their off-campus home in Moscow, Idaho, around 3 a.m. or 4 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 13, after they spent Saturday night out with friends.

Police initially said in a press release Friday that Goncalves and Mogen, who were close friends, took an Uber ride home from downtown and arrived at their home on King Road near campus at 1:40 a.m. They later changed their statement to say a "private party" drove them home, but it is unclear if the private party was someone the victims knew."

My thoughts / speculation on the “uber” ride home, from most to least likely:
1. The girls took a Lyft (used ’uber’ as a general term, even to the sister. Uber has confirmed no official ride via their service)
2. The girls planned to take a ride-share, but instead saw a friend/acquaintance at the Grub truck and rode with them. Quite easy in fact to misremember ‘we took an uber’ when intoxicated when in fact they planned to Uber but instead rode with ‘Jane from class’ / ‘Sam from Chi Omega’
3. The girls rode with an ‘off-book’ Uber/Lyft driver. I’ve gone though their public Venmo accts - which both used at least on a weekly basis and no evidence of this. Could be they used cash app or Zelle for this, but I’d guess less likely
4. The girls took a ride from someone they didn’t know, as part of a campus service (e.g., when I was in both college and grad school at different institutions, both had ‘no questions asked’ safe ride services from students who would volunteer to drive you/your car home to avoid drunk driving). I give this one as a possibility just to show the range of plausible. I think this is unlikely.

IMO, the killer was not the driver.
How about if the girls had already been with someone or someone’s at the bar and they waited in the car while the girls grabbed food?

I think we do. Highly likely it isn't a serial killer. Some speculate it could be, and there could be, a sexual component, but it has been reported the women weren't sexually assaulted, so I think you can infer it is likely not a serial killer.
Not all serial killers assault sexually their victims. In fact some of them derive the sexual pleasure from the very act of killing. Good example here is Dennis Rader.

From Thread #3

Of the four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death in a rental house last Sunday, some were killed in their beds, the Latah County coroner told CBS News Friday.

Coroner Cathy Mabbutt would not provide any further details. She noted, however, that earlier media reports stating all four victims had been murdered in their beds were not accurate.

Maybe she meant attacked in their beds, they may have not died instantly but struggled and moved themselves afterward.
All four could not have been in their beds if someone saw them from the front or back door and thought they were unconscious. Someone was out in the living area

Also, if the images of blood pouring out between the slab and wood of the outside of the house are real- that is a lot of blood on the floor. How does it get there through the mattress if they are in their beds? Someone was on the floor

In one of Kaylee's videos or photos (prob on her Instagram), it looked like she had a single serve/k-cup type coffee maker in the corner of her room.

Maybe other roommates had a similar set-up?

MOO.
Thx i didnt think of that! Shucks

Maybe, but not against 4 people.

That in and of itself takes an incredible amount of strength and stamina. Going through ribs and breastplates while fighting the victim off would be a feat in any circumstance, much less doing it 4 different times.
When you attack sleeping person, they are not fighting because they are asleep. And if you placed the first stab well, the victim may not be able to defend themselves after that. Also, there are many strong and fit women,

I apologize if it’s already been mentioned but it also makes me feel like maybe the girls had a regular Uber driver that had said they could call at any time and he gave a personal number. Maybe offered to give them a discount on rides if it didn’t go through Uber directly. They could’ve called and thought “hey this is our Uber driver” but the rides are not ever registered.
As a person who travels for work, I take regular rides to and from the airport. Many Uber and Lyft drivers hand out business cards with their cell number so you can text them for a ride. It’s very common.

Uber and Lyft both provide frequent reminders not to accept rides outside of their app due to safety issues.

That bothered me, too. I asked about it days ago. What could decling mean, I asked.. chose not too is what declined usually means in people speak. Did they hear something and were afraid to leave their rooms and asked a friend to go by who then reported seeing someone? And how would that be if the victims were purportedly in their bedrooms?

I am beyond tired of the amateurish style of communication. I can’t imagine how hard this aftermath is for the families. They must be bombarded for requests for information in the absence of clarity of LE. MOO

I did wonder that but not sure in practice it makes sense.

Two people who rather then hearing nothing, heard something but being too scared to do anything about it hunkered
down and left the house when they could. But not sure it works in practice as usually it would be first light and when the commotion stopped and you would imagine they would call LE.

Doesn’t correlate with the finding of the bodies at 12 by not the police

IMO it's not really comparable.

One slight woman, yes, but one whose presence in the home is to be expected, of course.
And, unless he had some extraordinary kind of penis, she just needed one good whack since there is no bone to saw through.

And one unsuspecting victim is far removed, IMO than four victims. That takes time, energy, work, and timing. Particularly since it wasn't a quick slice of one organ and done.

Jmo
Thanks for the laugh

If Ethan and Xana left the party at 9/10, maybe they went to The Corner Club and met up with Caylee and Madison? Could Caylee and Madison have texted them from the food truck asking them to pick them up and take them home? It seems now that the Uber is incorrect, and a private party drove the girls home.
<modsnip - not an approved source>

Police have a glaring Gap in the timeline for Ethan and Xana.. Confirmed at the party till 10, then home at 145?

Why the 4 hour gap? Two others were home, college kids don't go to bed before 10 on a Saturday. They would of been on camera at the bar. The neighbor also had a ring camera that showed them being dropped off. So wouldn't it show Ethan? I'm the only one who seems to have picked up on this 3hr 45 minute gap in Ethan's/Xana timeline

This massive Gap and the multiple calls over and over between two girls to the J guy tells me the answer lies in there imo.

Did Xana/Ethan piss someone off? Did someone get rejected by the two girls at the bar? Was there some drama between all 4 of them at a 5th person?

Just conjecture but as experts stated,4 ppl on different levels with a knife is very personal almost certainly imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumping in and out so this may have been discussed, but what is the status of the victim’s dog? I’ve read they let the dog out when they got home. Was the dog let back in? Is there any evidence the dog mentioned above that was picked up by animal control belongs to the victims or was it a random, unrelated dog? Is the dog missing, was it found running loose, in a fenced backyard, chained outside or was it in the house when police arrived? Was it injured?

There’s been a lot if speculation that the dog would have barked/attacked had it been in the house. But this was a typical college house where lots of visitors come and go, and parties/music/noise was common. Most likely a dog in a house like that is used to strangers and noise and probably quite friendly. It’s entirely possible the intruder was able to easily lead the dog to a different part the house (assuming it wasn’t already on the lower floor) and carry on. To me it doesn’t necessarily mean the dog was drugged or knew the killer.

Do we know the dog’s breed?
How do we even know for sure that they let the dog out?

How about if the girls had already been with someone or someone’s at the bar and they waited in the car while the girls grabbed food?
It is possible, they arrive from one side of the grub truck and it seems the guy with the hood is walking with them. After they get their food they leave to the other side of the food truck.

I don’t know the layout, I had imagined they got a ride to the bar, then walked from the bar to the grub truck, then caught a ride home.

Also, if the images of blood pouring out between the slab and wood of the outside of the house are real- that is a lot of blood on the floor. How does it get there through the mattress if they are in their beds? Someone was on the floor
That's assuming it is blood. Knowing Daily Mail's ways it is not impossible they snapped a pic of some rusty streaks on the wall and wrote it was blood, to have something sensational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper