ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 41 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[…]

Two former classmates said Kohberger attended classes and finished the semester at WSU after the killings.

BK Norton, in the criminal justice graduate program at WSU in Pullman along with Kohberger, said they were in all four classes with him last semester and that Kohberger attended through the end of the semester.

Ben Roberts, also a graduate student in the program, said the same. He said he didn’t notice much change in Kohberger other than he seemed to be late quite often.

“He was starting to show up really tired,” Roberts said. “He’d always have a cup of coffee in his hand, and he kind of looked like he was riding the knife edge between worn out and completely exhausted.”

[…]

Showing up late and tired- not so abnormal for a student or grad student. Creepy..

It's actually very common for graduate students working on a dissertation or other formal research project to use social media as a source for surveys. It's not the highest form of research - the gold standard would be a randomized controlled trial. But what it looks like he was doing was qualitative research, not quantitative. Source: I have a master's degree.
So do I have a Masters degree In a very related field. I don’t think I could of have gotten that research project approved on the net. Specifically because of the topic- reliability issues, methodology and in general a statistical nightmare.

I was struggling with this as well. The answer is no. This type of survey is acceptable for a freshman composition or intro course (and commonly found for these types of classes on uni subReddits), but unacceptable for graduate research. I can't confirm obviously, but with the timing of the survey (published around or after graduation, and certainly after final rounds of a thesis or portfolio), I just get the feeling it was personal research with an academic veneer.
But done with review by the university's IRB? How could he access responses to a DeSales Uni email address unless he had authorized email access?

Just curious. At first I wondered if it might be a joint research project between WSU & DeSales.

Hmmmm....

"In a now-deleted post on Reddit, Kohberger — under the username Criminology_Student — asked ex-convicts to participate in a research project that "seeks to understand how emotions and psychological traits influence decision-making when committing a crime." The post goes on to read that the goal of the study is to "understand the story behind your most recent criminal offense, with an emphasis on your thoughts and feelings throughout your experience.""

Suspect in U of I Killings Allegedly Researched What It Was Like to Commit Crimes, Studied Criminology
I wonder if LE will uncover who exactly participated in this survey and other related correspondence - hopefully it was saved in the Cloud or on BKs computer. IMO there could be a lot of important information in the files/notes- and certainly potentially someone who may be charged with aiding and abetting depending on what information and guidance they may have supplied.

I'm extremely skeptical that such a "research methodology" would be considered rigorous enough to yield reliable & usable data.

Maybe he went rogue? How was he going to vet that the answers received were from the population (criminals) he was supposedly researching?

Weird & possibly unethical.
JMO
I think he probably used some truths like he was a grad student but it was not through the university channels of approval nor did they know he had th the survey. I most research from universities requires participants to sign disclosure statements prior to doing a survey and graduate professors are also inventoried. I don’t think this was a legitimate survey and that he was using it to for other reasons or he was unaware of the research procedures at the school.

Someone must have approved it. I am in Canada, not the same here…I don’t think it would be approved because there is no proof of convictions etc etc. If I were doing that kind of research, I would reach out to Correctional Services.
@Snoop Sister
Thanks for your response. Like you said, someone must have okayed it.

He may have developed a rage in high school when bullied because of his weight -- a rage against the beautiful, popular kids who mocked him
It could be.

There was Kryptonite somewhere, that’s for sure. Whether it was this or something else, we can only speculate.

Unfortunately many overweight people have been treated harshly, but the vast majority of them don’t kill four popular kids.

Whatever motivated BK to lose weight COULD have been enough for him to have gone on and lived a good life, but clearly that was not the outcome.

He may have been born with something that predisposed him to violence, or he may have stumbled into his Kryptonite along the way.

How tragic that four young people had to pay the price.

Unless BK confesses all, we may never know if this mass murder satiated his lust for power or revenge, or instead gave him a taste for it and a belief he could outwit LE, in which case he may have gone on to more murders.

JMO

Last edited:
This alleged killer Kohberger's parent's home in Albrightsville, PA is only around 20 miles from where convicted cop killer Eric Frein was from (Canadensis, PA).

Also, interesting to note that they both apparently attended Northampton Community College in PA.

He can't be vegan 'anything' if he has murdered. One of the main tenets of veganism is not harming or killing any sentient being. It's a lifestyle not a diet. The only caveat is self protection when defending one's life.
Didn’t Adam Lanza describe himself as vegan? Murdered 27 people.

I think he probably used some truths like he was a grad student but it was not through the university channels of approval nor did they know he had th the survey. I most research from universities requires participants to sign disclosure statements prior to doing a survey and graduate professors are also inventoried. I don’t think this was a legitimate survey and that he was using it to for other reasons or he was unaware of the research procedures at the school.
Well, he was using his DeSales Uni email for responses.

So does that mean a family member's DNA is in a database of some sort? I'm trying to understand familial, genealogical, etc. Regardless it has to be registered in a database. Is that correct??
When you submit your DNA sample to a site like Ancestry, 23 & Me etc., you give them permission to use your data.

JMO

ETA - LE stated they had been staking him out for four days at his parent's home. It is stated LE went through their trash to attain DNA samples. Perhaps his parent's DNA from the trash samples lead to the familial DNA match.

Last edited:
So do I have a Masters degree In a very related field. I don’t think I could of have gotten that research project approved on the net. Specifically because of the topic- reliability issues, methodology and in general a statistical nightmare.
I come at it from the legal perspective but it seems like a particularly poorly thought out topic/method because there's no incentive for participants to be truthful. These types of interviews often happen with imprisoned (forever) inmates while they are imprisoned and are not trying to lead functional lives.

Encouraging people who have been paroled to relive the feelings behind their crimes is sick. I hope this predatory behavior didn't cause or encourage anyone to reoffend.

It's actually very common for graduate students working on a dissertation or other formal research project to use social media as a source for surveys. It's not the highest form of research - the gold standard would be a randomized controlled trial. But what it looks like he was doing was qualitative research, not quantitative. Source: I have a master's degree.
@Kristina730 Thanks for your response.
I thought that questionnaire might have been a preliminary stage--- to locate candidates for further data gathering. Clearly not gold standard.

Maybe eligible for a Razzie Award?

So is he an incel or a bully can he be both ? Do the labels even matter ? Guess I missed the link to the bullying , and the links supporting your comment.

I do not derail the topic by any means. Bullying is a risk factor for crime. Not every bullies ends up as a criminal, but many of them do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme