ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were unanswered phone calls, according to her sister. As to the other questions, I think it's
conjecture.

I can't tell if the link is hidden behind a paywall, if so, here's the info:

There were seven unanswered phone calls made from the phone of one of the victims, Ms. Goncalves, to her former longtime boyfriend in the early morning hours on Sunday, according to her older sister, Alivea Goncalves, based on phone logs she was able to download from the phone provider. The police said that Ms. Mogen had also made calls to the same number.

The first call to the man, Jack DuCoeur, was at 2:26 a.m., and there were six more over the next 26 minutes, with the final one at 2:52, Ms. Goncalves said.

SO, it's been allll speculation that the calls were about a dog, or about anything since they left no voice mails....very very odd.

WHY not leave at least one message....urgent to get in touch with J....but no message left?? NO text??

Cant say where my mind is going, BUT THANK YOU for explaining!

People seem to be viewing the victims as two separate pairs. With the assumption that it was the girls who were targeted and Ethan and Xena were somehow involved due to stumbling upon the perpetrator or being witnesses.

There is another possibility here not being discussed which is that one of the girls and Xena apparently worked together, and had done for a number of years at the same place. You would assume therefore that they are pretty close but that also they have their own group of friends, colleagues, customers etc… through their work.

I can’t get over the polices initially view this was a targeted attack. Whilst they didn’t have all the experts now working the case When they made that suggestion there had been experienced officers already working 24:7 on the case for days and knowing every intimate detail of the crime scene. I believe they still probably think it’s a targeted attack but have to cover all bases hence the more recent backtracking on risk to the community etc…

If so It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that it wasn’t the girls targeted, but perhaps for whatever reason one of them and Xena through something to do with their work connection. And it was actually the other two who were killed only due to being at the house that night.

I definitely think the fact that two of them worked together and police initially felt it was targeted would mean that potential line of enquiry would be getting discussed more.
As far as theories go, it seems to me that with what little information the public has, any or all of the four could have been targeted. Jmo.

Where thing's get murky for me and hopefully time will tell, was this targeted in the sense killer knew them, knew his way around the house, knew who was where.. Or did he see them get back maybe take the dog out and snap. Who know's someone that crazy could have seen the dog take a dump and they didn't clean it up. Obviously massive speculation but someone wound that tight it's not gonna take much to set them off. I also think it should be noted that being targeted doesn't automatically make it by someone connected to their circle. The way Kaylee and Madison we're so close and everyone speaking about them reiterates that point, I find it hard to believe someone with a connection wouldn't know they'd be together, especially since she was visiting. This is what keeps bringing me back to thinking it started on the third floor by someone unfamiliar with the house that's how E and X are in the crosshairs on the way downstairs, coming down from third floor to the second, unless you knew the house you wouldn't see the stairs to the basement, they're blocked by the hallway unless pass the Kitchen. 4 people are dead upstairs you walk out the sliding door, move that couch (if you even used it) back off the patio and you're out.

Their being on the first floor doesn’t make it seem more weird that they weren’t attacked, to me, anyway.

We don’t know yet how the killer came in. Especially if he came in the ‘second floor ground floor entrance,’ he might have just never gone downstairs. (I’m very familiar with hillside homes.)
Yes, around here we refer to them as "split-level" homes. Like you say - walk in on the second floor ground entrance makes the lower floor just feels like a basement to you.

That’s what I’m thinking. They said it was targeted, but the public were safe. The police also didn’t go into the house immediately when this is a low crime area. Hopefully if this scenario is true they have something close to the chest they’re keeping…very close to the chest.
Targeted is a wide definition though. Imo, it isn't an absolute that the perp was known to the victims. And LE has backtracked on the public being safe.

An example of this is a crime that happened near me recently. A 14-15 year old male, decided in the middle of the night, that he wanted to kill someone. So he took his knife, and for the next few hours jiggled doorknobs. He finally found an unlocked door and entered the home. Lucky for the homeowner, he woke up as this kid was about to stab him in the chest. Mayhem ensued, the husband and wife survived, but we're seriously injured and spent days in the hospital. This kid didn't know these people. But he did target them. And had LE not caught this kid, he would have been a danger to the public. Imo.

Hi all, just getting up to speed on this case and it seems like a pretty crazy one. So sad for the young victims and their families. I'm optimistic that the responsible party (parties?) will be found soon. Can anyone advise how I can watch the press conference this afternoon? Tia!

This is true but with such a high volume of blood from the victims, finding perp blood could be a crapshoot.
I am thinking this was more planned than spur of the moment and I would think the perp wore thick gloves and long sleeves. If a quick shedding and bagging of an outer layer of clothing happened and the perp took it along during an escape through the woods. It is possible there could be little DNA or maybe none !!

One of Kaylee’s sisters revealed in an interview that Kaylee and Maddie collectively called J ten times between 2:26am and 2:52am. In a different interview on Fox, host asked Kaylee’s parents about these calls. Answer was not comprehensive but included Kaylee’s dad saying she said “We have a dog together” in the context of why he needed to respond to her, and included her mom saying Kaylee asked him to come over. Dad described this as one of Kaylee’s last messages and his wording sounded to me like he had probably heard it himself (though I don’t know for sure) because he emphasized certain words as if recalling her phrasing and indicated when something she said was at the end of a particular message. That last part is JMO. Not impossible he could have been referring to a text message and/or the info was relayed to him rather than hearing a message himself.

And this is why I am confused. Parents saying one thing, and then information out there that no DMs were left. Also, if K asked J to come over, that means he lived close by.

EDIT: If parents listened to VMs, someone had the password. I dont think LE would have disclosed that type of information to them. Maybe parents were speculating about reason for calls.

Last edited:
And why no emergency vehicles (eg paramedics or emts)? I do feel more was said on that call so the police knew. Esp if they were outside when police arrived. I’ve not seen any discussion from neighbors about what kind of emergency vehicles were in scene other than police
I posted this earlier. There were emergency vehicles. I’m guessing more about the crime scene was said in the call. Police clearly got there first and I think right away they could tell all 4 were dead and told EMS not to go in, there was no need to render aid and they needed to secure the crime scene.

“Brian Nickerson, the fire chief of the Moscow Volunteer Fire and EMS Department, said police were the first to arrive at the home. The first responders from the fire and EMS department didn't go inside or transport anyone from the scene, Nickerson said.”

That's how I'd enter if I wanted to break into that house. There's a window, and a door in the back, and you could sneak up on the house unseen, and get a decent look inside.
Exactly and it looks like they may have tried to enter through the door where the evidence markers are
That's what I was thinking. They did say that the two surviving roommates had gone out separately that night, home by one o'clock. Perhaps they were out on dates or with close friends and one or more people stayed over? It was a Saturday night in a college town. Could explain someone else making the 911 call from inside the home with the roommate's phone but not the roommate making the call. They could have just grabbed the first phone they could find. Could also explain the sleeping in and why they didn't hear much of anything or didn't pay close attention if the girls downstairs had company that night and perhaps were socializing and listening to music, etc., until late. JMO.
My daughter is in college she sleeps with a rain machine on. She had 4 roommates at one point so it was the only way she could sleep.

How do you deduce this?
I reread the article, and i stand corrected! They didnt leave, just never reported to 911 till much later. Cant imagine being in their shoes, trama for life! Hope LE solve this quickly so friends and family can heal. News presser is at 3:00 pt hope LE has made progress

According to definitions, a serial killed is a person who kills 3 or more as separate events with time in between. A mass murderer is someone who kills many people at the same time as a single event. So, no serial killer. A mass murderer. Just for clarity.
I never have liked those definitions, because they merely describe a time/victim ratio, and not the motivational status of the people involved. I like to use the terms "recreational killer," and "disaffected killer," as they're more attuned to the different psychologies involved.

I posted this earlier. There were emergency vehicles. I’m guessing more about the crime scene was said in the call. Police clearly got there first and I think right away they could tell all 4 were dead and told EMS not to go in, there was no need to render aid and they needed to secure the crime scene.

“Brian Nickerson, the fire chief of the Moscow Volunteer Fire and EMS Department, said police were the first to arrive at the home. The first responders from the fire and EMS department didn't go inside or transport anyone from the scene, Nickerson said.”

I seem to recall that early on there was a post with a picture of some girls out front of the house with silver space blankets wrapped around them. Does anyone else remember this and can find the picture(s)? Would like to take a closer look at who was outside during the early moments when crime scene was being investigated.

Targeted is a wide definition though. Imo, it isn't an absolute that the perp was known to the victims. And LE has backtracked on the public being safe.

An example of this is a crime that happened near me recently. A 14-15 year old male, decided in the middle of the night, that he wanted to kill someone. So he took his knife, and for the next few hours jiggled doorknobs. He finally found an unlocked door and entered the home. Lucky for the homeowner, he woke up as this kid was about to stab him in the chest. Mayhem ensued, the husband and wife survived, but we're seriously injured and spent days in the hospital. This kid didn't know these people. But he did target them. And had LE not caught this kid, he would have been a danger to the public. Imo.
I agree. I mean, anyone who is capable of knifing four people to death, regardless of the reason, is a general threat to the public, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces