ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Kaylee's parents said she was "a websleuth", we don't know if they meant she was an actual WSer or if it was used in a more generic sense.
This is probably 'out there' - but if she was a websleuth - whether here or as a general term - could she have found something related to another case and been killed to keep her quiet? And the others were just in the way?

When asked, "So there were other roommates who lived at that residence. Were the roommates home at the time of the attack?" To which LE answers, "Uh, there was other people home at that time, but, uh, we're not just focusing on them, but we're focusing on everybody who was coming and going from that residence."
That's another odd response, IMO.
So he's saying there were other people at the home at the time of the attack - other than the two unharmed roommates.

So how many people were actually in that home at the time of the attack? Not throwing shade on the two roommates, but I keep remembering what LE said early on - "This is their story to tell."
Is someone being protected? The wording by LE is puzzling.

I wonder if the 911 call gives more information than the police want out in public right now.

I also wonder if them saying they were attacked while sleeping and bled out could mean 1 victim somehow made it to the kitchen or livingroom area before they died. And that's how the 911 caller saw just 1 unconscious person.

I wanted to add something for the locals here in addition to my post above describing my true understanding for the terror you must feel right now, with my own experience of having a brutal murder in my community with the suspect not apprehend (for a time).

One thing I also remember, was the craaaazy local rumors, like “I heard the killer did so and so...”, etc. I’ve later seen cases here where local rumors turned out to be correct, but in my case, none of them were. Not even ones from the wives and girlfriends of LE and EMS, who claimed to have firsthand knowledge.

So one that’s one thing to keep in mind. Should you pay attention to everything people say and do around you, and call it in to LE be on the safe side, absolutely, but just be careful about getting sucked into rumors. As they said in the PC today, keep the official sources at the forefront.

Last edited:
I wonder if the 911 call gives more information than the police want out in public right now.

I also wonder if them saying they were attacked while sleeping and bled out could mean 1 victim somehow made it to the kitchen or livingroom area before they died. And that's how the 911 caller saw just 1 unconscious person.
I don’t think you will be too far away with that theory.

First ½ of PC 11/20
(typed it up for my mom, but I figured I’ll post here as I go, too)

**Transcript below (NOT OFFICIAL – But I did listen to it at 0.5 speed, check over it while listening again, and know this is not PERFECT, but it's transcribed accurately enough to post here!)

**Starts from the introduction of Captain Lanier, which is ~3:30 min mark if watching the non-wait time version, which has Chief Fry starting right at 0:00

Good afternoon. My name is Roger Lanier.
I’m a Captain of the Operations Division of the Moscow Police Department. My last name is spelled L-A-N-I-E-R. I just want to first state that this tragic murder has shaken the community. It’s been very hard for members of the community, and it’s been equally difficult for our officers and for the investigators.

We will continue to put all of our resources towards investigating and bringing this to a resolution. Here’s what we’ve determined so far:

On the evening of November 12, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar and were later at a food truck in downtown Moscow. They arrived home at approximately 1:45am on the morning of November 13. Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were at the Sigma Chi house before also arriving home at approximately 1:45am. Two surviving roommates were also out in the community, and they returned home at approximately 1:00am and did not wake up until later that morning.

On the morning of November 13, at 11:58am, a 911 call was placed to the Whitcom Dispatch Center, reporting an unconscious person. The call originated from inside the residence and was made from the phone of one of the surviving roommates. Moscow Police Dept. officers responded and located four victims: two on the second floor and two on the third floor. The Latah County Coroners conducted autopsies, and detectives have been provided with the results of those autopsies. We know that the autopsies confirmed the identity of the four victims, determined the cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing, and determined that it was likely all four victims were asleep during the attack. Some of the victims had defensive wounds, and each victim was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault. Investigators have determined the two areas of interest within the city and have provided maps which are on our Facebook page and on our website, and these are areas that they have canvased for additional surveillance video and tips and have contacted several residents in the areas. The areas are generally south of Taylor avenue to Palouse River Drive and west of highway 95. Detectives have also canvased several other neighborhoods looking for evidence, looking for additional surveillance video, and contacting residents and speaking to them to see if they may have heard or seen something.

I want to address several areas of speculation, conjecture, and misinformation that has circulated on social media platforms and otherwise. We do not believe the following individuals are involved in this crime: the two surviving roommates, a male seen at the Grub Truck food vendor downtown, specifically wearing a white hoodie. A private party who provided rides home to Kaylee and Madison in early morning hours of November 13. Additionally, the identity of the 911 caller and the 911 call have not been released... so any information out there is speculation about that. Investigators are aware that multiple phone calls from Madison and Kaylee’s phone were made to a male subject. Any online reports stating that the victims had been tied and gagged are not accurate. Detectives seized the contents of three dumpsters on King Road and searched those dumpsters in an effort to find additional evidence, but nothing of note was discovered. Early in the investigation, local businesses were canvased in an effort to see if any fixed blade type knives may have recently been purchased. And currently, there are no suspects in custody, and we have not located a weapon. I want to assure you that every investigator involved will continue to put all of their resources and all of our partner agencies' resources into continuing this investigation. We do appreciate the community’s support, we understand how stressful it is, and we will continue to work through this situation.

At this time, I would like to turn the mic over to Col. Wills from the Idaho State Police.

Thank you, Captain. My name is Kedrick Wills, and I serve as the Director of the Idaho State Police
. And I appreciate your attendance this afternoon as we talk about this horrific, horrific crime. The murders of Ethan, Xana, Madison, and Kaylee are a tragic loss to all of us. Nothing we can do will bring back these young lives. But, we have an absolute commitment to working together to solve these senseless murders. And the way that we know how to do that is partnerships. And our partnership with a Moscow Police Department, with the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the University of Idaho to bring this issue to a conclusion and bring this to justice is absolute. We continue with the Idaho State Police resources here on the ground in Moscow and throughout Idaho. Whatever the needs are... that’s what we want to do. And the chief spoke about the Idaho State Police resources that are here, and he spoke about patrol resources, and we have those uniformed troopers here in Moscow and on the campus of the University of Idaho to help people to feel safe and to provide that sense - that security - to the people that are here, both the student body and the community at large. And we will continue to do that as long as necessary at this time. In addition to our forensics team that was here too, in addition to our investigative team and all the other state police resources.

We know that people want answers. We want answers, too. As was already mentioned, this is really, really difficult for those investigators, those dedicated professionals who are investigating this crime. And a lot of people have expressed their desire to help. And the best thing that most people can do to help is to stop with any kind of rumors and just seek official information that comes out of the Moscow Police Dept. Anything that we have that we can share from a law enforcement perspective, we will be sharing just as soon as we can. Because that’s how we think we can get this to a conclusion. Please, please rely on official sources of information, and please be patient. I understand that everybody wishes that this was solved already, but these things take time. It takes time to work through. You heard the stats of all the tips and interviews and everything that’s been done. This takes time for our investigators to work through. (Missed a sentence here)** We owe this to these young kids. These young adults. We owe it to them. And we are absolutely dedicated to make sure that that happens.

Thank you. At this time, I’d like to introduce the Idaho University President, Scott Green.

Reporters were told only one question.
Seemed to me it was more a show of unity and mostly for the poor, exhausted University President Green to lay out protocols and plans for the public and press.
I’m guessing that unless there is a big break somehow, as the President Green said twice, we should prepare for a long process.

I believe that they are aware of a suspect and just waiting for conclusive test results to come back.

I found it odd that none of the officials at the press conference gave safety tips to the public (lock your doors, go everywhere with a buddy, curfews, etc) This makes me think it was a targeted attack only and the public is not in danger.

I agree. They must have a pretty damn good idea of who it is IMO. And maybe they hope to have news for the community by Wednesday.

I just don't think they could publicly clear multiple people so fast, especially the roommates who obviously can't be alibied out and in fact were on the premises. I'm supposing the victims did inflict some wounds, making it easy to preclude them, and further getting killer's DNA and leaving some of theirs with him.

The complete lack of safety tips, as you said, the continued claim that it was targeted and no pleas to the public like "whoever did this has been scratched or recently wounded, behaving weird, please report" and not sharing peripheral profile stuff, suggests to me that they absolutely know who did this and even why they did.

Hard to understand how one person kills four people with a knife. If they were out partying earlier, I suppose it's possible they'd been drinking and were sleeping heavily (and might have been slow to react when wakened) - but are they absolutely sure there was only a single killer?
They were sleeping at the start of the attack. I don't think LE is sue of anything, but one person with a knife could kill multiple individuals even if they are awake. Multiple cases of that. So with sleeping victims it would have been easier.

My take from the today’s PC:

1. LE believes all 4 victims were targeted because of the totality of circumstances involved. LE is unable to say at this time that due to these circumstances if one individual alone was targeted.

2. Moscow LE is not lacking in resources (City, County, State LE are all involved as well as FBI).

3. The killer was not the 911 caller.

4. The 911 call was made from a roommates phone. LE will not divulge who actually made the call as it pertains to investigation.

5. Male subject who was called by both K and M has thus far been cleared. Everything LE has followed up on in relation to calls has been cleared and they believe there is no connection with this individual. (IMO! Chief James Fry appeared awkwardly uncomfortable responding to this question).

6. LE is not releasing information regarding who actually made the 911 call and will only state that the call came from a roommates phone inside the home.

7. We learned that other friends arrived to the home some time after the initial discovery. Chief James Fry is unclear to number of friends at the scene. (I find this this to be huge information and probably adds additional layers of confusion, witness accounts, evidence contamination etc, etc.)

8. LE has no idea if killer is located locally and state they are “looking everywhere”.

9. LE has no idea if these murders were done by one individual or possibly more.

10. Victims were found on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Let us all hope and pray that at the next scheduled PC on Wednesday LE has made much more head way!!
7. I don't think we learned that other friends arrived at the home some time after the initial discovery. It could be that friend(s) made the discovery themselves or were there all night or from some earlier hour.

I think it's easy to underestimate how difficult it might be to scream if you wake up with somebody's body weight on top of you and a stab wound anywhere on your upper torso. It might be too painful, or impossible, to scream, or even breathe for that matter. Jmo.
or there might be something over your mouth... a hand? a pillow?

I still have no idea. So they specifically cleared a few people and sorta but not really cleared another person, but did say the actual calls to J not related. Still say it’s targeted. I think all 4 were targeted since all were asleep so no need to kill anyone else if only one was the target.
I wonder if there was some sort of message left by the killer? Or could be the surviving roommates’ doors weren’t locked, so just the fact they were spared makes them think the 4 were targeted? Or could be so many things, because I think there’s a lot they’re not saying.
I don’t think a stalker though. And if it’s just a random serial thrill killer, that is not exactly targeted and EVERYONE is in danger as long as he’s still out there. So confusing.

If it had been me in college…I would’ve 100% been drinking that evening and passed out. I just assumed that’s why they were asleep and didn’t wake up easily….and why the roommates didnt wake up and that they possibly slept in until noonish. I have no idea if these kids drank but if they did, it could help explain a little.
Absolutely. It was so common (especially being in a sorority/fraternity) for a classic Saturday night to go down almost exactly as their nights did. If you were 21 and over, you would probably pre-game in the evening at your apartment and then hit the Corner Club (local bar they were at). If this was one of Kaylee's true "last college nights" with her friends, they probably really had a great night a drank a decent amount. Then you stumble your way to Maine Street to Grub Truck to get some food. By the time you get home, you've been drinking for a while and are ready to devour your food from the food truck. You are going to pass out pretty hard not too long after that so the idea of being in a pretty deep sleep seems likely.

I also don't think there is much suspicious about the surviving roommates not calling 911 until noon. They too probably had a party night and with being on the first floor which is almost a basement, they most likely didn't hear enough to wake them or cause concern. I slept with a fan in my face, a habit I learned from living in sorority with lots of women, to drown out noise. I'm not surprised at all no one noticed anything until noon.

When asked, "So there were other roommates who lived at that residence. Were the roommates home at the time of the attack?" To which LE answers, "Uh, there was other people home at that time, but, uh, we're not just focusing on them, but we're focusing on everybody who was coming and going from that residence."
That's another odd response, IMO.
So he's saying there were other people at the home at the time of the attack - other than the two unharmed roommates.

So how many people were actually in that home at the time of the attack? Not throwing shade on the two roommates, but I keep remembering what LE said early on - "This is their story to tell."
Is someone being protected? The wording by LE is puzzling.
bbm
That was a good question to ask.

Let's say the now-cleared roommates were in their rooms, sleeping.
If there was anyone else at the house other than the victims, what were they doing ?
I'd think LE would want to know.
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members