ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reposting a link to an extended interview of Ethan's parents.

Ethan's parents said in the interview that they got the call from his siblings WHO WERE THERE IN THE HOUSE.

Could it be that the roommates called Ethan's brother(s)/sister because they really thought he was unconscious?

Could one or more of the siblings be the one who called 911??

Does any one know which victim may have driven the little white car - Center front of picture????

Kaylee’s Range Rover is the parked behind it ..

Reference-
Police searched the white car today as per Twitter ..

MOO: Perhaps that isn’t a victim’s vehicle. I believe that could be the vehicle of someone visiting one of the surviving roommates, and it’s possible that this person might have been an overnight guest. Again, JMO.

Edited to add: This doesn’t mean that there is any culpability, or that anyone is a suspect. I’m just making an observation about a vehicle.

Last edited:
I woke up feeling like this might just be a serial, random, thrill killer whose motive is just to kill. They keep saying “targeted “ but I think they might mean that in a really vague way. I think of targeted meaning personal, even if the killer doesn’t actually know them. To me, it means they would be targeted for a specific reason—their religion, wealth, revenge, crossing the wrong
people, greek life etc. But maybe they just mean targeted b/c the killer wanted to kill and they were there? Could be they even watched them for a while, stalking—possibly even on SM. That still says random to me, b/c it’s not really a REASON other than to kill, but who knows.
I am getting a feeling of a random total psychopath instead of a personal connection. Maybe that’s wrong, and once the evidence is processed we’ll find out it was someone they knew or at least in their orbit, but for now I’m going with the most rare of the possibilities—a psychotic killer. And he’s on the loose.
LE has done a good job of trying to be transparent here and give info that they can. I think because it’s a University (sensitive situation), they are doing their best to be upfront and informative without giving too much,
I also think they’ve been vague and even misleading on purpose—only they know what their reasoning is, but I think it’s for a reason. We’ll see, but I hope they catch this killer NOW b/c he could be a ticking time bomb. :(
Same thought. Of course they were targeted. They were the only home on the block to experience this.

That doesn't mean there won't be another targeted house in the future in the region. The question is how far away and how soon. If there is a lot of time and distance, it will be hard to connect them unless DNA is left behind.

It will blow open a lot though if the DNA results come back and match against any other crimes in the region. That would change the tenor of the narrative so far.

If they knew the entire house why did they leave two girls alive in a basement portion? You're a killer who knows who lives there and you've just made some identifiable enough amount of noise and you DO NOT go check to see if there were witnesses left in the basement who peeked out or called police?

Leaving two people alive smells to me like someone who didn't know that house, didn't know the bottom-most level was also a roommate floor.
I wonder if it's because of where the person was watching the house from? If the killer was watching the house from the wooded area on the hill side of the house (where the second floor is "first"), he might not have realized that the bottom floor was even inhabited? I'd imagine if you're watching the house from 1 angle where sliding doors etc.were,it would look like everything was happening in that main area,so that's where the people would be.

Ethan's parents said in the interview that they got the call from his siblings WHO WERE THERE IN THE HOUSE.

Could it be that the roommates called Ethan's brother(s)/sister because they really thought he was unconscious?

My mind just melted. That would explain the roommates' behavior! And also why police don't want to mention 911 caller. If it's a lookalike sibling...

In relation to the 911 call and the roommates (my heart goes out to them and the trauma they are enduring) - I can only imagine the shock they were in. I imagine that 911 call is very chaotic, with multiple voices on the call.

Summoning friends over could have been as simple as a text saying ‘Something is wrong, we don’t know what to do, please come over.’ Or maybe, as it seems they were was multiple housing with students nearby, one of them went directly over to a friends house to get help?

When you are in a situation like that, how you think you’ll react goes out the window. I was in a situation (not as serious as this) where I reacted quite calmly and a tad recklessly when I’d have assumed I’d have reacted with panic. The things we think we would do when met with a scene like that are quite often not what we’d do.

I just feel so awful for all their loved ones. A friend of mine was killed when we were in college and there was something so surreal seeing their face on news. So I can empathise with how hard it must be for them to be grieving and for it to be so public.

Hope this post is OK - it’s technically my first if you don’t count a botched accidental one and a reply sending a YouTube link!
I agree the shock the other 2 roommates were in to, unfortunately, wake up to the scene & then have it sink in that you survived it all. I would have passed out & the PTSD that is probably to follow is Unimaginable what they must be going through. It doesn’t bother me that someone else used another phone to call it in or even how they used the word unconscious. IMO its how LE is not disclosing anything surrounding the caller except it was made from another phone that belonged to the roommate & the caller is not the killer stated in the PC etc. If they are protecting the identity of the caller incase there is threat to their safety as the suspect is still in the area/serial killer situation
I wonder if LE would consider using forensic genealogy sooner rather than later in a case like this. Why not start that work to either confirm that a suspect you have in mind is likely, or at least possibly give you a direction in which to look?

I understand it is usually used for cold cases, but when a killer is on the loose and the community is scared, how can it hurt?

Why not have multiple DNA lines of investigation instead of linear?
I agree with you… I can also understand wanting to protect the identity of the caller for moral reasons, but LE has given details surrounding the call just not who called and it wasn’t the killer. IMO the suspect is still near to the community, watching, & LE have reasoning to feel it would happen again during the ongoing investigation

I wonder if it's because of where the person was watching the house from? If the killer was watching the house from the wooded area on the hill side of the house (where the second floor is "first"), he might not have realized that the bottom floor was even inhabited? I'd imagine if you're watching the house from 1 angle where sliding doors etc.were,it would look like everything was happening in that main area,so that's where the people would be.
I've said this before numerous times in here. I subscribe to this theory that they came from the back wooded area and the road behind. Police were seen in a news video squatting in the back wooded tree line and looking toward the house. They've roped off the perimeter with caution tape and it does extend into the trees.

Me too, I'm getting a total Ted Bundy Chi Omega vibe about this case.
I'm getting a more recent Elliot Rogers vibe!
Edit: But mostly because of the presence of that "church" and the misogynistic viewpoints, speculating on the kind of individuals that might be drawn to that ideology.

Thanks, I don't really understand why they are releasing critical evidence piecemeal in these updates? They didn't say this at the PC yesterday.

If this is true then my theory changes and I think I understand why they think the crime was "targeted." The roommates seeing someone on the 2nd floor and thinking they passed out - and there was not a gory bloody scene - then maybe the people on the 2nd floor were not attacked in the same way as the people on the third floor.

If one scene was different than the other(s), then you may think that person was the target.
RE: the “targeted” aspect - along the lines as @Alethea mentions about the two scenes being different, I wonder if something specific was written on a surface at the crime scene that was directed at, or could be directly linked to one of the victims. Just a thought and all MOO.

In relation to the 911 call and the roommates (my heart goes out to them and the trauma they are enduring) - I can only imagine the shock they were in. I imagine that 911 call is very chaotic, with multiple voices on the call.

Summoning friends over could have been as simple as a text saying ‘Something is wrong, we don’t know what to do, please come over.’ Or maybe, as it seems they were was multiple housing with students nearby, one of them went directly over to a friends house to get help?

When you are in a situation like that, how you think you’ll react goes out the window. I was in a situation (not as serious as this) where I reacted quite calmly and a tad recklessly when I’d have assumed I’d have reacted with panic. The things we think we would do when met with a scene like that are quite often not what we’d do.

I just feel so awful for all their loved ones. A friend of mine was killed when we were in college and there was something so surreal seeing their face on news. So I can empathise with how hard it must be for them to be grieving and for it to be so public.

Hope this post is OK - it’s technically my first if you don’t count a botched accidental one and a reply sending a YouTube link!
I agree the shock the other 2 roommates were in to, unfortunately, wake up to the scene & then have it sink in that you survived it all. I would have passed out & the PTSD that is probably to follow is Unimaginable what they must be going through. It doesn’t bother me that someone else used another phone to call it in or even how they used the word unconscious. IMO its how LE is not disclosing anything surrounding the caller except it was made from another phone that belonged to the roommate & the caller is not the killer stated in the PC etc. If they are protecting the identity of the caller incase there is threat to their safety as the suspect is still in the area/serial killer situation
agreed. it looks like a garage from outside.
agree… if entered from the slider side of the house, the back looks like a garage area or not an area where people would be staying. Has it been disclosed how the entry looks going to the survivors rooms? Ex- stairs like a basement off of the kitchen etc?

My mind just melted. That would explain the roommates' behavior! And also why police don't want to mention 911 caller. If it's a lookalike sibling...
Exactly....it makes total sense on the roommates behavior. If one of the siblings (or more) were called to come over.... then really it's their judgment call to contact 911 or not.

Just being speculative, but if the surviving roommates were indeed on the lowest level, and the others were not targeted specifically, then someone watching only from the back may believe only the top 2 floors were occupied at the time. Perhaps even those coming home late from a night out would use the 2nd floor entrance to avoid disturbing anyone on the bottom floor. However, if the bottom floor rooms could have been locked, then breaking into one of those doors might be risky and give one of those occupants time to respond or prepare. Moo.

Exactly....it makes total sense on the roommates behavior. If one of the siblings (or more) were called to come over.... then really it's their judgment call to contact 911 or not.
@Warwick7 I watched through the video but I don't actually hear where they explicitly say they were the ones in the house. What was the timestamp where that's said? All I hear them saying is that the siblings were the ones who told the parents about Ethan.

I get why is may seem weird for the roommates to call friends to check on the others, but I mean if the doors are normally locked if they are or they have an agreement they don't go in (imagine they could have have walked in on some hook-ups,etc) calling to see if other friends had a key or they were not fully awake and unsure what to do/panicking. These are younger kids who probably aren't thinking logically like we are, don't have the same life experiences, etc. Who knows what they were up to the night before and afraid of getting in trouble. I've heard it before on true crime "why didn't you call police first?" and they don't know and panicked.

But the roommates as of now have been cleared.

Re “targeted” …. could it be that the victims’ house was easier to enter than others nearby? I haven’t been able to sort out if it was unlocked or not…. but if so, it could be that all other houses in the immediate area had their doors locked & that was what made the difference… JMO

No idea if this could fit! but in my college town there was a burglar creeping in on people for a while, & LE kept telling the public to lock their doors & windows. Apparently that was the common denominator with his victims - he’d also tried to enter a number of houses but gone away when the door or window had even the flimsiest lock holding it closed IMO

Certainly could be, maybe the roommates hear his phone alarm going off, they pound on the door and get no response so call his brother who lives real close by

I think if someone was watching the house on only that night, sure they might not know there were others living downstairs. But if someone watched that house for a period of time prior to the night of the murders, it would be hard for me to believe they were unaware of the downstairs roommates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INSP MORSE