ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This says quarterly maintenance inspections.

Property manager references "frequent inspections" that she performed.

Wow. So just out of curiosity: is this common in the US? I assume it must be.
It's just that I'm from overseas and something like that would be super odd here, like the rental property owner walking in and checking on the property before the end of lease, let alone monthly. Unheard of. Would be a serious violation of privacy and just creepy.

I know Radar Online may not be the most credible source, but this article states they are looking into the weapon being associated with the university's ROTC program. Quadruple Murder Breakthrough: Police Zero In On University of Idaho Reserve Officers' Training Corps For Possible ‘Rambo’-Style Knife
I feel like the "combat, 'rambo'-style knife' narrative exited and is now lapping the barn with no desire to come back in. Issued from ROTC stocks is plausible, sure... but also available from any hunting/fishing/outdoors/utility store for probably a lot cheaper than most would even think.

This Ka Bar knife pictured is a serrated blade, not spine notches on the top edge.
Some people are thinking the knife weapon used has notches on the spine. Those could be for thumb grip or decoration or other reasons depending on where and how they are made.

I haven’t seen any evidence they know anything specific about the knife excrept for estimated blade length and width based on wounds.
In the beginning they were simply saying bladed instrument, as compared to blunt I guess.
Has anyone seen any evidence of knife details?
IMO
I humbly disagree. If you look at the knife I posted the blade is not serrated. There is a serated edge on the top near the handle.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Here's the info on Murphy.

"On the night of the attack, officers located a dog at the residence that was unharmed. Police turned the dog over to Animal Services and it was later released to a responsible party."

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he didn't take enough credits to be a sophomore yet?!?!?
it's just a little strange though why would they be classifying him by his credits. its his second year at the school so he should be called a sophomore regardless of what his credits look like. just seems like an unnecessary discrepancy

It's just that I'm from overseas and something like that would be super odd here, like the rental property owner walking in and checking on the property before the end of lease, let alone monthly. Unheard of. Would be a serious violation of privacy and just creepy.
Yes. I rent a "nice" townhome in a "nice" area - periodic checks are in my lease, but I've only had 1 in the last 3 years. Typical Landlord + Tennant laws usually require advanced notice, 48 hrs is usually the norm.

However, for off-campus college housing - I've been in situations where the LL/caretaker lives in a unit on premises and micromanages tenants, but I've also been around other housing where the LL is some amorphous entity that is never seen and rarely heard from unless rent is late. It's a crapshoot.

No I don’t think this is common, but you don’t want a bunch of college students tearing up your investment.
Renting a home to College students who do not have full time jobs, may up and leave, aren’t good house keepers and are under 25 is a risk. You can’t sue them- they don‘t own anything.
If it is a nice place, great location then you can tighten up your agreement.
So, property owners can scare away the irresponsible by asking for a large security deposit. This makes them take care of a place better if they each have $1000 down to cover any damages, and sometimes also have to put down a month’s rent. So they don’t up and leave.

When they move out they get that money back if they have not caused damage that needs to be fixed before a new renter can move in.
IMO

I wondered too if the killer might be on other transport e.g. Greyhound and on foot (it was mentioned somewhere that there's a Greyhound station in the town) but then somebody pointed out that the killer would be covered in blood after the murder so unlikely to be using a bus. I think the blood would be similarly visible on a bicycle, or at least less well-hidden than if the killer were in a car. otoh more likely to be on a bike than on a bus.
@seasideForest, viable speculation, LE would definitely have to research possible one way bus tickets to Moscow or WSU, and possible one way car rentals out of Moscow or neighboring WSU campus locations (or vice-versa). Fact stated "crime scene/perp was messy" and I envision if getaway was in a rental vehicle, all radius locations may be worth investigating transportation reservations. Cameras at car washes and rental car locations have to be investigated for anything unusual. AMOO based on speculative theory perp came in from out of town.

Unsure if this was already posted as the thread/pages have wings. WS is doing a great job. Hope families and community get some answers soon.

Last edited:
Maybe you can ask whether this looks right.
View attachment 381670

Now I wonder if house was furnished or not. Were they sleeping together, did both rooms still have beds? And if they both were on 3rd floor, IMO for sure they were targeted. I think perp knew dog and layout of the house....and had escape plan.

LE still not warning public about a serial killer on the loose, so I think they are just waiting for more evidence.

And I dont think we know if dog was found inside, or outside of the house.

This is what confuses me. The victims were all violently stabbed in their upper body. It is described as a very bloody crime scene.

So the 911 call seems a bit odd to me. If I saw a person that I would first describe to police, 'looked unconscious' IMO that doesn't fit with a bloody crime scene.

JMO
Forgive me if I have any details wrong, I am trying really hard to catch up!
The only thing that makes sense to me is that those who first realized something was wrong were in shock, and unable to make sense of what they were seeing. It sounds like they described the scene, but neither witnesses nor the 911 call center were able to conclude that the victims were deceased prior to the arrival of police.

The KA-Bar knife is on Amazon. Not a hunting knife. It is described as a
"combat Bowie fixed blade knife", you can buy an optional "slip free" handle. Why would anyone "need" to buy a "nine inch combat knife" on Amazon?
"Why would anyone "need" to buy a "nine inch combat knife" on Amazon?"

I have one that I keep in my car. It has rubber, non-slip grip. "Always be prepared", I learned that in the Boy Scouts. A KBAR knife is a great tool and can also be used for self defense in a pinch. And a KBAR can definitely be used as a hunting knife, in my opinion.

It certainly is blood.
You can see in the image how that one part of blood is dripping over the pipe...
so it isn't coming from the pipe but from the space above the pipe.
It's a good question for law enforcement.
I personally don't believe blood can travel that far in cracks before coagulating. If I had a bucket of blood and poured it in the crack between the floor and the siding, I don't know if would make the 6 inch journey through through the siding.

ETA: I have no idea what heating oil looks like. So, I don't know what heck it is on the foundation. However, in the pic there is one streak that seems to be coming upward from the ground.

ETA: I'm also a former nurse. Blood will drip from gurneys onto the floor, but I don't know if nurses are experts with blood in cracks

.Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 14.29.53.png

Last edited:
it's just a little strange though why would they be classifying him by his credits. its his second year at the school so he should be called a sophomore regardless of what his credits look like. just seems like an unnecessary discrepancy
I work for a university and the school would more than likely identify his class standing by the credits he has completed. He would be in their system as a freshman even though this was his second year at the school. I agree it's confusing, but that's how most (maybe all?) schools would report it.

MOO, but my working theory is that the perpetrator is a burgeoning serial killer. This may have been his first attack — or at least first time killing multiple people. If he is fixated on (and enraged by) blond sorority-girl types, he could have decided to target the residents in that house after observing the girls coming and going over a period of days.

One thought strikes me, which is that 4 of the 5 housemates look extraordinarily similar to each other. Honestly, observing from a distance (and with visitors coming and going), the perpetrator might not have even realized there were more than 3 girls living at the residence.
I agree about the perp being an incipient serial killer. If he isn't caught, I'm afraid more horrific crimes will happen against young girls. I also agree about 4 of the 5 girls having a similar appearance.

Could someone point me to the original picture/article/source that contains the picture of the substance on the exterior of the house? Checked the media thread and could t find it.

TIA :)
The media thread is now showing the updated Daily Mail article but if you google Daily Mail + Idaho murders you'll find Blood oozes from home where four Idaho students were killed which is showing Nov. 16th early AM as publication date.
otoh imo Daily Mail is not a super reliable source for all facts, might spin a yarn or two sometimes on details. I read it's allowed on here partially because of the good photos it gets early on of scenes.

I humbly disagree. If you look at the knife I posted the blade is not serrated. There is a serated edge on the top near the handle.

I’m not following you, you are saying there is a serrated edge, but that the blade is not serrated. To me the blade is the entire cutting edge from tip to handle.
So I am seeing serrations on the blade, near the handle.

Some knives have notches on the non blade side, used as a thumb grip. They are not serrations as they are not on the blade side at all.
That is what some people call a Rambo or Bowie knife- those with notches on the non blade side- the spine.

Confusing, isnt it? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member