ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article seems to confirm many of our suspicions about the
surprising lack of progress for an arrest or POI

It's from Daily Mail though - always take anything they post with more than a grain of salt. "Source said" is their usual pathway to just make things up.

1. The 2 surviving roommates arrived home before the victims and were likely sleeping at the time of the attack.

2. The surviving roommates were in the basement throughout the night.

3. The roommates woke up several hours later and summoned their friends when a roommate was unresponsive.

I’m thinking the “additional” friends were called just prior to the 911 call or the friends we’re called simultaneously as one person was on the phone with 911. Either way it’s my assumption that these friends arrived before LE. Considering the ages of the two surviving roommates I honestly don’t find this odd. So much of young life is spent in groupthink and collaboration. I suppose if these girls were home those first calls would’ve gone out to their parents or neighbors but because no ones family lived locally the immediacy of friends was necessary.

Idaho State Police spokesperson Aaron Snell told the Statesman on Thursday that detectives visited several local hardware stores that may carry “fixed-blade type knives,” but that they weren’t solely asking about Ka-Bar knives.

….

Ethan Chapin, 20; Madison Mogen, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Kaylee Goncalves, 21, were stabbed to death early Sunday morning with an "edged weapon," according to police.

….

This article seems to confirm many of our suspicions about the
surprising lack of progress for an arrest or POI

"someone close to the investigation." The third year student with long hair who lives down the street?

Fuhrman has an alternative take; that is, they are staying tight lipped as investigation progresses: Mark Fuhrman: Idaho investigators have 'stayed on point'

I do agree there was some bungling, but don't think they bungled the entire investigation.

Why do you think that?
In my opinion this was a somewhat planned attack. The perp would not want blood all over them for his escape. I envision a tyvek type suit the killer could have carried easily even in a pocket. The killer could change into right before entering. This would also not allow any victims or potential witnesses to ID what they were wearing. It would also limit any of the killers clothing fibers or pet hair, vehicle, carpet or other fibers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122-110145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221122-110145_Chrome.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5
"someone close to the investigation." The third year student with long hair who lives down the street?

Fuhrman has an alternative take; that is, they are staying tight lipped as investigation progresses: Mark Fuhrman: Idaho investigators have 'stayed on point'

I do agree there was some bungling, but don't think they bungled the entire investigation.
MOO I think Team FBI is throwing the Moscow PD under the bus

This is one most chilling, disturbing and unconscionable crime. Who would do this to young people? I hope that the perpetrator is caught. This story chills me to the bone. Because this case is high profile, the motivation is there to solve it. This my first time on WS -glad that I can post my theories here

I agree. It upsets me to see people judging the phone call. These are young folks who just woke up to the most horrific experience of their lives. No one knows how they'd react in that situation. No one knows what the brain does to protect itself. Not wanting to believe what they were seeing. Not being sure of what they were seeing.
I couldn’t agree more. It’s easy to play Monday morning quarterback, but none of us know how we might have reacted in a similar situation. I can’t imagine what these students witnessed and how shocking it must have been. They will probably carry that trauma with them for life.

I'm kinda reluctant to think the red liquid is blood. I believe it would coagulate before it could get outside.

I live in Texas and insects, air and water do get through the siding space down there. However the only time water has come in is when we have torrential downpours. Hundreds of gallons will shoot out from a downspout and it will back up. Homes in Idaho are likely more airtight than here.
Well something did leak out and it could as easily be blood as anything else. I have cleaned up enough blood that it looks like blood to me. And it looks fresh. The fact is though no one knows what it is. And imo, that house is not built well. The way that front door sits right on the ground was my first clue. Whatever it is, nothing should have leaked there. I'm going to guess that the foundation is missing a gasket. Or the gasket has failed somehow. Imo.

Well something did leak out and it could as easily be blood as anything else. I have cleaned up enough blood that it looks like blood to me. And it looks fresh. The fact is though no one knows what it is. And imo, that house is not built well. The way that front door sits right on the ground was my first clue. Whatever it is, nothing should have leaked there. I'm going to guess that the foundation is missing a gasket. Or the gasket has failed somehow. Imo.
I'm wondering what it matters truly if it isn't blood. Or if it is blood? Does it change anything?

Nice well thought out post, redcedar.

I am wondering if it was a service provider: cable guy, plumber, electrician, mail, meter reader, trash-someone that comes to the house sporadically or intermittently. Perhaps somebody who recently performed service within the house (fixed the washer/dryer) who turned out to be somebody the young women didn’t like and they reported it and this person lost their job.
Well, according to the Behavior Science Unit of the FBI, you start with victimology such as whether the victims had led a low or high risk lifestyle, use of alcohol and drugs, etc. This gives the profiler clues as to whether a particular killer is an organized vs disorganized individual. I'm leaning towards a disorganized type due to the early description of the crime scene described as messy, chaotic, and sloppy but OTOH, I wonder if these words weren't intentionally used by the FBI in order to send the killer a message. Trying to draw him out. They may have wanted to use such a ploy as a way to criticize and anger the killer into making a huge mistake by contacting LE and boasting about the crime. (its just as likely that I have an overactive imagination too, Lol)
In my opinion this was a somewhat planned attack. The perp would not want blood all over them for his escape. I envision a tyvek type suit the killer could have carried easily even in a pocket. The killer could change into right before entering. This would also not allow any victims or potential witnesses to ID what they were wearing. It would also limit any of the killers clothing fibers or pet hair, vehicle, carpet or other fibers.
I hope that white suit also came in black. Lol

LE has stated that skinned dog is unrelated. This was noted this in previous thread.

I believe that it’s unrelated as well.

IMO, the perp is someone who is known to the victims, he/she’s most likely acquainted with the 3rd floor occupants. If the killer/s intended victim were E and X, he would have left after the deed was done on that specific floor. His/her point of entry was on the second floor yet he risked being detected and went out on his way to go up the 3rd floor whilst completely ignored the first floor. I also don’t believe that he went down to the first floor at all. <modsnip: No link to substantiate roommates hearing thud>

I believe the killer is someone who is somewhat familiar with the layout of the property, he knew exactly where his target would be. That’s just my opinion. I thought of other possible scenarios but given the circumstances, I always go back to the perp knowing one or all of them. But then again we’re probably only getting just a fraction of the details from LE and rightfully so. I think they’re being careful not to spook their poi. (LE has never said or mention of a poi but I believe they do have someone in mind, but that’s just my personal opinion).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else find it troubling when neighbors talking about seeing people in windows in the house often?It sure would have been easy for someone with bad intentions to watch and learn their routine.

Wow. So just out of curiosity: is this common in the US? I assume it must be.
It's just that I'm from overseas and something like that would be super odd here, like the rental property owner walking in and checking on the property before the end of lease, let alone monthly. Unheard of. Would be a serious violation of privacy and just creepy.
It is creepy. And occurs routinely in the United States. Main reason I bought a house!

Landlords are supposed to give 72 hour notice, but I have seen them state "routine maintenance", and storm in, basically spying.

This is one most chilling, disturbing and unconscionable crime. Who would do this to young people? I hope that the perpetrator is caught. This story chills me to the bone. Because this case is high profile, the motivation is there to solve it. This my first time on WS -glad that I can post my theories here
Welcome to WS! I have always found comfort in reading or posting here about some horrific crime cases over the years. I think there’s a certain satisfaction in being able to try to compare theories, and there are some very skilled experts who are WS members. Since none of my family or immediate friends share the same curiosity as me, it’s been great to have a place to come to where you know you can discuss the cases and know that rumors will not monopolize the commentary. Kudos to the mods who keep everything running!

What it actually says is they believe they were asleep before they were attacked. That leaves room for the possibility that any of them could have been asleep but awakened if they heard noise, if they had to use the restroom, etc. We also know that they didn't all end up in their beds. At least Ethan ended up on the floor, reportedly in the hallway outside his bedroom. In my opinion, X also awakened and fought the attacker and sustaining defensive injuries. If so, she could have ended up on the floor against the wall of the bedroom, which could account for the blood stains on the exterior of the house where located. (Although various media outlets reported that was blood, we can't be sure those reports were accurate.) In this photo, the corner of the house facing the camera front and slightly left is where the "blood" is located. Just on the backside of where the 2nd level meets the 1st level right above the sloping ground. If X ended up right against the wall there, it's possible enough blood could drip out if there were cracks where wall met floor there. We know that the floors are not carpeted, and the laminated surface may shed liquid that direction rather than absorb it. This is all speculation, but it seems a possible scenario. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F71lwea.jpg&hash=20f9344707c0989eda791e1d6b34cd8c
There have been many posts stating that Ethan ended up on the floor, reportedly in the hallway outside his bedroom. It doesn't mean it wasn't reported, but I have yet to read this other than as a theory. Can someone link a news or other report that states this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member