ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a rural English village and you cannot do anything around here without being caught on a Ring doorbell.

However I wonder how much STUDENT accommodation would have a Ring. It would be complicated I think with multiple occupants, people moving in and out, Ring subscriptions to pay for etc. If it’s mostly student housing in that area would it be likely that landlords would fit surveillance systems or care about occupant’s safety? Not disparaging any landlords out there, just my own experience of being a student renter!

So I am wondering if there isn’t actually that much footage? Especially if they came in and left from the rear. MOO.

Landlord here. We used to have more student-level housing. We’d never give tenants a system like that. First, it’s unlikely to increase the rental value; students are looking for bedrooms/location and not much else. Second, it would create headaches for landlord with changing logins, roommate break-ups, etc. Third, students are *hard* on rentals; you don’t give students anything fragile or higher-end.

We have started giving them to our other tenants but largely because we want to do the installation ourselves instead of the tenant ruining a doorframe.

(The only tech we put in student housing is a sensor that detects water).

Last edited:
I know it's hard to imagine someone totally unconnected to any of the four and/or Moscow being responsible for this crime, but I caution everyone against completely shutting that door. Some of the most infamous and horrific crimes in our history have been perpetrated by mentally ill/evil people who really had no connection to the victim other than encountering at the wrong place/time. I'm not saying this is what happened at all, but it's always something that should remain a possibility in your mind even though it's hard to wrap your head around it.

True, if you run down each street in surrounding area of King Road using "street view" you can see a couple on residences/buildings, I saw a couple ring cameras on Walenta with unobstructed view in close proximity to edge of street, and one on corner of Nez Perce & Blake Bldg, unobstructed view sidewalk/street. Tree obstructions do appear to common and difficult to discern using the "street view" 360deg. AMOO
I hope LE have gotten tapes from those cameras. I think many residents wouldn't think to turn in the tapes on their own as the tapes would only show normal behaviors. But the tapes may indicate who was in the area then.

The thing about the blood on the foundation. First of all, it does look like blood, but I've read where the students were killed on the 2nd and 3rd floor and that looks as though it's a ground floor--due to the foundation. I can see in a very rare case where blood might leak along the edge of the floor and out from above the sill plate, but would it run all the way down from a story above?

Just me thinking aloud here.
The blood was located right under one of the bedrooms (where the couple was in).

About the 911 call (I’m so sorry to return to that!!) I don’t think it’s odd at all. I think it went down that downstairs girl/s saw one or more of the victims clearly dead and fled the house. That is exactly what I would do in that situation. You wouldn’t know if the perp was still there. I imagine she went back the way she came, as she felt that safest since she had just come from there. She would’ve been screaming, alerting other students (eg the frat house which is literally opposite). They used her phone to dial 911 as theirs was in their room.

I’ve been in an emergency situation and couldn’t hit the numbers on my phone as I was shaking so much.

I am going to try to explain MOO but I understand if this is taken down for insinuating a POI:
Rewatching the press conferences makes me think the police have in fact identified the suspect. It is thus deemed a “targeted attack.” Without the presence of a murder weapon, they likely do not want this POI to know they are a suspect. The suspect is likely closely linked and involved in the investigation, and is under surveillance guised as “protection.” This explains how they are confident that there is no threat to the community. Even with DNA evidence, police are looking to make their prosecution case as bulletproof as possible, thus, they are trying to get a confession from their suspect before identifying and arresting him/her. The POI therefore is likely someone the police have “officially cleared,” but will not divulge information about.

Finally, this individual would have decided to spare the dog’s life. They also would have taken steps to manufacture an allibi that would make them appear (to anyone without forensic evidence and who was not spoken to all notable individuals in the case) completely innocent. All JMO

the fact that it was a "party house" is also a huge complication. People were in and out of that house a lot so there's probably so much DNA of various people there. Which one is of the killer? that's going to take quite awhile to sort out.
I think the best hope is that they will be able to positively match blood/dna to each victim. The hope is there will be a 5th person's blood profile mixed in and then isolated....strictly blood. What can really be relevant with dozens and dozens of fingerprints, potential hair, etc.? Way too many visitors.

This might sound strange but a thought. Could it possible that this was done by someone in LE? Police, Sheriff? Someone who was again obsessed with the girl's. LE called out to the house for loud partying and would know the inside of the house. Would know where the girl's live and bar's they go out to. Perhaps had a short relationship with one of them. Relationship was short and jealousy can drive people to murder. Former military and became LE who would know to kill. LE can be a great cover and its happened in the past on many occasions. Braking up the wrong tree maybe. MOO

The FBI former agent (link in previous thread) said this kind of knife is considered a "relic" nowadays.
The perp might be much older than the victims.
Maybe a hunter who visited these areas, so no exactly local?

Moo

Last edited:
Bear in mind the perp may have parked their vehicle somewhere else and walked. Not disagreeing with your very valued point, just expanding on it.

....and this town is so small, perp might have walked home. I have Wyze cameras on every window with memory cards. Looking out the front window, I could tell what car passed but not the license. But, person walking by, yep.

He might have to be a ninja to avoid cameras.

I apologize if this has been mentioned already - it's hard to keep up with the activity of these threads.

I lean towards the killer being unassociated with the victims (and therefore will be much more difficult to apprehend), but does anyone else think it's strange that a reward for information has not been offered by LE? I personally hadn't thought about this, but I guess it could indicate that they have some idea of perpetrator and are just gathering enough evidence to arrest them. In high profile cases, especially a quadruple homicide where LE does not have any suspects, it seems unusual that a monetary award has not been announced for information? Just MOO, happy to hear other's thoughts on this / comparisons to other cases.

I also recognize that LE has stated they don't know if the perp is still in the community, or has fled - it would be strange to say this if they did have someone in mind.
I just cannot imagine LE or anyone asking for a reward for information for this kind of crime. It’s sick to even think you have to offer someone money for information in a case like this. Is this what the world has come to?!

Is there a way to see the admin update posts? I missed an entire thread from yesterday afternoon to today lol.

Also not sure if Moscow is this way, but a lot of smaller rural/hunting communities, most men (usually men) know what type of guns/knives/weapons people have. It's kind of a hobby thing. So the fact that no one has come forward to mention that they know someone (or someone's grandkid, etc.) that has that type of knife leads me to believe they're not a hunter. Unless obviously such tips have come in that LE are not releasing yet.

Last thought - if the perp was someone that was part of the campus or Moscow community (whether a student, person who worked in the area), it seems like they would have enough info to ID them. This was my first thought, that it was someone they knew or knew of them in the community. But bringing in the FBI and not appearing to have any leads me to think it's more of a random/transient/serial type. But it will be interesting to hear the next presser tomorrow.

I agree, men that get together know what each other owns. What we don’t know is if someone came forward and what they said. This could be one of the 600+ tips that is being run down. Lots of outdoorsmen and women and fishers/ hunters in this area of the country so having a knife is common.
In the early days I too was thinking maybe someone known, but 4 stabbings is deranged, tough to imagine these kids have a friend that becomes unhinged enough to do this to so many people. It has been long enough that the usual suspects don’t seem on my radar-
or LE is slow in working through the usual suspects.
Now it seems more random/ transient, serial type to me too the longer this lasts.
MOO

Prayers for family and friends of victims, for the school, students, community of Moscow, ID

A pre-cursor event that set the wheels in motion for someone to retaliate. This is a rage and retaliation kill. These college kids look so nice, friendly and fun. Somebody may have taken something the wrong way and reacted
But could you, in cold blood, kill four college students, in such a horrendous way, over some real or perceived slight? That had to some totally deranged person. And, I can't believe this is the first, or will be the last time, someone pi__es him off. Will he continue to kill them all. MOO. Katt

Regarding cameras, the neighbors camera shows the two girls being dropped off by a private party.

1. It hasn't been reported where they were dropped off and whether they used the first-floor door or went around to the second-floor sliding door. Does the neighbor's camera show the front of the house?

2. Are there any cameras for the back parking lot behind the house (up the hill) or for any of the houses on the street behind the woods, that the murderer may have escaped on?
If they have video of the girls being dropped off, it must have been close to the house, and that camera must have something from the time of the murders? Right like how likely would it be for the girls to be dropped off further away (makes no sense to me, speaking as someone who has gotten a lot of ubers/lyfts).

The FBI former agent (link in previous thread) said this kind of knife is considered a "relic" nowadays.
The perp might be much older than the victims.
Maybe a hunter who visited these areas, so no exactly local?

By the way, it was reported that the perp locked the bedroom doors - does it mean the door keys were left in the locks by the victims?

Moo
I think it's only speculation about the bedroom doors. There has been no statement by LE or relatives to that effect. Also, bedroom doors usually have button locks on the back that you just press and then close the door -- no keys involved.

I am going to try to explain MOO but I understand if this is taken down for insinuating a POI:
Rewatching the press conferences makes me think the police have in fact identified the suspect. It is thus deemed a “targeted attack.” Without the presence of a murder weapon, they likely do not want this POI to know they are a suspect. The suspect is likely closely linked and involved in the investigation, and is under surveillance guised as “protection.” This explains how they are confident that there is no threat to the community. Even with DNA evidence, police are looking to make their prosecution case as bulletproof as possible, thus, they are trying to get a confession from their suspect before identifying and arresting he/her. The POI therefore is likely someone the police have “officially cleared,” but will not divulge information about.

Finally, this individual would have decided to spare the dog’s life. They also would have taken steps to manufacture an allibi that would make them appear (to anyone without forensic evidence and who was not spoken to all notable individuals in the case) completely innocent. All JMO
I'm not sure if any DNA test results are back yet that could made LE fix on a POI.

....and this town is so small, perp might have walked home. I have Wyze cameras on every window with memory cards. Looking out the front window, I could tell what car passed but not the license. But, person walking by, yep.

He might have to be a ninja to avoid cameras.

Look on the map there is a creek to the side of the house and goes to the east, the perp could walk undetected there, being a window peeper and get obsessed then snap.
There were no curtains on sliding doors, most of the windows.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member