ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess:

1) They waited too long to begin press conferences. As early as hours after the murders, rumors were flying about multiple stabbings of students in specific sororities and a specific fraternity and those rumors very quickly made it home to families of students. Many students and their families were confused by the suggestion that remaining students were not at increased risk combined with rumors of stabbings of multiple students and no word of a suspect in custody. Rumors filled the lack of information. Family members of victims began voicing displeasure. University was in turmoil and students, professors and families needed meaningful guidance from a trusted/official source. LE apologized for slow start in publicly sharing info and committed to regularly doing this moving forward.

2) Sharing the most up-to-date case information on Wednesday is the last chance to widely share before a long holiday weekend and can help students, professors and families think through their plans for resumption of classes after break.

JMO.
It would be amazing if they announced an arrest. Sort of like what they did with the Delphi case. Probably not, but one can hope.

Not to my knowledge, there is a complete article regarding the little dog, its owners, with a full description of what happened to him- quite beyond the ability of animals without thumbs as per the article.
IMO
I had not paid attention, misunderstanding completely. I’m so sorry for them and little Buddy.
There was a rabbit, too? Missing cat? Neighbor’s dog traumatized and he is locked and loaded!!

Speaking of questions- what questions would you ask?

I’ll start.

1. Have you found any evidence outside the home?
2. Do you think digital forensics will help you find the suspect?
3. How many search warrants have been issued?
4. How many IN-PERSON interviews have been conducted?
5. Has the BAU completed their profile?
6. Has a geofence warrant been requested?
7. Where in the house was Murphy found and was he crated?
8. Are you closer to knowing if one or more perps?
9. Has information been released that you wished had not been?
10. Do the families have a liaison or protection?
I Would Press L.E For A detailed explanation As To Why they Ascertained This was A crime of passion And A one time event, IE not serial, Earlier today in the CNN interview All the investigator said was It was because 2 girls were left unharmed, This Didn’t make sense To Me.. Did anyone see the short interview in question?

“Autopsies were conducted on November 17th and the Latah County Coroner confirmed the identity of the four murdered individuals and their cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing. The coroner stated the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.”

Why is this information following Autopsies credited to the coroner? The coroner did not do the autopsies, she is not an MD or an ME. Autopsies were completed by a forensic pathologist= who has not been named, and the autopsy reports have not been released.
Is it because the Coroner made a public statement?
Did the info released by the coroner come from the ME?

IMO
Autopsies appeared to be performed at the Spokane County Medical Examiner’s office, possibly by Chief Medical Examiner Veena Singh. Source: Four UI students stabbed to death, Latah County coroner rules

1. Are reports of skinned dogs related to these murders?
Detectives are aware of a Latah County Sheriff’s Office incident of the report of a skinned dog and have determined it is unrelated to this incident. Contact Latah County Sheriff’s Office for further details.
Detectives are also aware of a Moscow Police incident of the report of deceased animals left on a resident’s property. This was determined to be wildlife activity and unrelated to the incident.
The first statement is about the little dog killed and skinned, said to be unrelated to the murders.

The second statement is about dead animals left on property, said to be attributed to wildlife.

These are two incidents- there is no statement that the little dog was killed and skinned by wildlife. There is a full article and interview with the owners.

One incident is coyotes shot and left on the porch of frats and sororities. Exactly how can that be attributed to wildlife?
IMO

Last edited:
We know the coroner described the lethal wounds as being in the chest/upper body, so your comment is that could be consistent with someone trained, yes?

These were mostly weak upper body strength young women, and all or most were actually likely asleep. They may have been somewhat intoxicated. So the perp could simply have been lucky in not waking any victim to the point of arousal and ability to fight back at much. Training would help the killer in doing the evil, but I would think a couple of deep plunging wounds on victims not awake or barely awake that would easily be fatal is instinctive if you are going to murder someone. Best attacks on people is no warning, no escalation, simply the most aggressive and powerful harm from the get go.

I think instinct is to stab at thorax anyway. When people are stabbed elsewhere it is because they are fight back or fleeing.

Hey everyone,

Members can NOT state information as fact without MSM or other approved source link. So, things like "I read the other day ..." or "I heard ..." or "So and so said ..." are not allowed unless backed up with a link.

No link, no post !!

I don't think they know.

MOO: Initial investigation was sub-optimal (substandard), due to overwhelmed small town police force. (Initial statement made, which I won't repeat and has been retracted)

ETA: I had originally used the word "botched" to describe the initial investigation, but I don't believe it was completely botched and I was using slang. I do believe some timely evidence may have been lost. (Not at the crime scene, but around the town)

So, they are trying to "catch up". Hopefully they have enough evidence to catch the perp. I'm sure the initial investigation compared with local police files/reports etc.

Pardon me, for I stay far too many pages behind; skipped entire threads as they zoom by quickly. All of this post is simply thoughts and opinions of my own this evening.

We hope LEOs have found a clue and then some. It is likely that, not unlike the rest of us, the police force experienced shock and awe, initially, then became rapidly overwhelmed with the sheer magnitude of their task, including but not limited to fact the audacity of someone capable of murdering four beautiful young people being among the community. This is not supposed to happen nor is it expected nor acceptable. Moscow has a small pop of 26k.

It has been seven years since the city of Moscow, ID had its last murder. 7 yrs. Local LEO, although, unexperienced in mass murders, they are trained in procedures. The PD also must weave positions for the big shots, FBI, etal, to arrive along with two pro criminal profilers. Oh, to be a fly in that room...

How did the Idaho4 killer so quietly enter and depart the residence and consequently, the neighborhood? How long did this crime take to complete - @otto or anyone handy with stats on this. tia

Where, precisely, was Murphy during the killing spree? Murphy lived in that house long enough to know when something wrong may be happening to its Master unless Murphy was locked away/sent outside. M would prance all through the blood. That's typically what a dog would do. Odd that the Idaho4 killer didn't hesitate to cut up four people with a sharp edged weapon but didn't lay a blade on the dog, thankfully. But, still interesting.

The first statement is about the little dog killed and skinned, said to be unrelated to the murders.

The second statement is about dead animals left on property, said to be attributed to wildlife.

These are two incidents- there is no statement that the little dog was killed and skinned by wildlife. There is a full article and interview with the owners.
IMO
I understand that, but I’m just showing that LE says unrelated to this case. I’m going to trust they know why it’s not related, even if I don’t.

I don't think LE has down played these murders at all! I think they've been pretty open as far as holding press conferences and giving the public as much info as they can without giving anything away that they need to hold close to the vest.
I think we need to remember that LE doesn't REALLY have to tell us anything.
I think LE has downplayed the murders by telling the public in the beginning that there was no cause for concern as the murderers were specifically targeted.
We are talking about 4 young people brutally murdered by stabbing inside a private residence.

While LE may be doing their best to maintain an investigation, it is untrue that LE does not have a responsibility to the public to inform them for their own safety.
Maintaining that balance is tough- but necessary to maintain trust in LE.
Next Mon all of the students will either arrive back in town- or stay home and finish the semester online. I‘m guessing families will be watching for news of an arrest.
I have two kids in college- I sure as heck would be
IMO

Makes perfect sense, And Would make sense It was planned And targeted As LE has mentioned several times, Also falls into the crime of passion theory As He would want to be very careful, But Why leave The other 2 females alone? He would’ve had to be familiar with who was living there And if in the house already Knew when everyone arrived home, So there must be A reason Why the 2 girls living downstairs were left alone.. Interesting…

Why? They didn't want to think their friend was dead, so they probably just said, "I see some blood and cannot wake them up!" 911 dispatch uses "unconscious person (or party)" as their lingo when they're unsure of the state of an individual or group. I don't think it's too confusing.
If you assume the timeline is close to correct, these poor souls had been deceased between six and seven hours when the roommates awoke, and eventually contacted LEO’s. I won’t go into details about the body and death, but a murder this brutal, with that much time elapsing, a central heating system circulating air throughout the home would have told them something bad had happened. Correct me if I am wrong, but snow on the ground should show the HVAC heater in the house was on. You are correct in regards to how 911 dispatch words things, with the knowledge there are many people listening on scanners. I have a patient who is a 911 dispatcher, and if it something LEO‘S don’t want turned into a circus, she will actually call the officers, detectives, etc on their cell phones, to keep it off the scanners. We live in a somewhat rural area, so that may be more common here than in a big city.

There's still some things I'd like to know. The first reports I heard regard X and E attending an event at a sorority was that they arrived around 8 but left just after 9 pm. I haven't read anything regarding their attendance anywhere else until they were murdered in the home in the early morning hours.

I would also like to know where the surviving housemates went for the evening before they came home. It appears they were in the house, in their own rooms on the first floor with the doors locked at the time of the murders. But whose to say whether or not someone knew where they lived and followed them at a later time. The focus has been on M and K because they became victims but they may not have been the original targets.

In regards to the dog, Murphy. Poor little guy, he's just a pup and I don't think he'd have been crated while K was out. He might have been but if he was crated it's more likely he'd be kept in her own bedroom. If he was in her bedroom, I get the feeling based on her interactions with the dog, she wouldn't have crated him. I think he was in the general area of the second floor where the sliding doors are and he either was let out or got out when the assailant entered the building.

If all the victims and survivors in the home had jobs, the hospitality business especially, I think everyone they worked with should be scrutinized. I specify the hospitality business, like bars and restaurants because there is interaction between servers and kitchen staff but in my experience most of the socializing with serving staff is with each other and not workers like dishwashers etc. Restaurants are one of the easiest gigs for an ex-con since there is very little oversight and staff can be hard to find.

I think LE has downplayed the murders by telling the public in the beginning that there was no cause for concern as the murderers were specifically targeted.
We are talking about 4 young people brutally murdered by stabbing inside a private residence.

While LE may be doing their best to maintain an investigation, it is untrue that LE does not have a responsibility to the public to inform them for their own safety.
Maintaining that balance is tough- but necessary to maintain trust in LE.
Next Mon all of the students will either arrive back in town- or stay home and finish the semester online. I‘m guessing families will be watching for news of an arrest.
I have two kids in college- I sure as heck would be
IMO
We can agree to disagree. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads