ID ID - Connie Johnson (still missing), 76, & dog, Ace (found safe), Fog Mountain, 2 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If not understanding her radio call was due to her having a poor signal, I wonder if they could chart out areas surrounding the camp where one would be likely to lose signal. Maybe that could narrow down their search area if it is unusual to have bad signal on the radios.

IMOO

If not understanding her radio call was due to her having a poor signal, I wonder if they could chart out areas surrounding the camp where one would be likely to lose signal. Maybe that could narrow down their search area if it is unusual to have bad signal on the radios.

IMOO

Surprising in this day and age of fairly easily accessible GPS location devices, such as The Spot, that she didn't carry one with her. I tend to do solo nature trips (so far to populated areas, campgrounds etc.) but wouldn't plan a trip off grid anywhere without one of these devices.

From what her daughter told me she was very comfortable in the area. It is very remote takes a long hike to get where she was after a plane trip. Her one daughter feels that something quick happened to her because she had jobs in the woods and tough terrain for over 20 years. The dog is being well cared for by a friend of the family. There will be a celebration this late spring/ summer out at the hunting camp and then where she lived most of her life.

From what her daughter told me she was very comfortable in the area. It is very remote takes a long hike to get where she was after a plane trip. Her one daughter feels that something quick happened to her because she had jobs in the woods and tough terrain for over 20 years. The dog is being well cared for by a friend of the family. There will be a celebration this late spring/ summer out at the hunting camp and then where she lived most of her life.
Thank you so much for that info. I've been thinking about Connie lately, and wondering how the family and Ace are doing, too. It's still puzzling in that, if something did indeed happen quickly, I'd think she would have been closer to that hunting cabin. I hope and pray we'll know some day.

This is just soooooo sad.
IMO, for the dog to leave, Connie was not around.
Do you think the same?
I have BC & Aussie’s, they are like Velcro to their owner.

I would think most dogs would return home if possible, but I'm no expert. What does everyone think? What are some possible scenarios where the dog wouldn't be able to or maybe even try to find his way back home? I'll start.
1) If she had a vehicle, they may both have been involved in a submerged vehicle accident.
2) Harm by someone else, with that person keeping or harming the dog.
3) Connie got lost and injured and the dog has stayed behind with her - although I would think by now he would have abandoned her :-(
4) ???

Being familiar with the herd breed, I think she must have left, with someone, for some reason, leaving the dog behind. People pay major money for herd dogs & generally, imo, train them or buy them trained. Otherwise, they are useless, they will run run run, after any moving object. I can’t see her, at her age, tolerating her “bestie” not behaving. I know in my heart she wouldn’t want to risk losing him. He’s gorgeous, I’d be happy to foster him.
The herd breed watches every move their owner makes. I bet his heart aches for his “mom”. Jmo
I would never expect a trained, well cared for BC to leave his owner’s side unless the owner died. So sad. Bet Ace only left her when he knew he could do nothing for her.
Moo

Last edited:
I’ve let her daughter know that people have her in their thoughts

Oh tysm! How is Ace? I want him! He’d fit right in at my place, lol.
I just know in my heart he didn’t leave his mom until it was necessary for his own survival. Unless, she sent him for help & he didn’t know where to go.

I feel awful that she's never been found. I can't imagine how her family and friends feel right now. We can guess that perhaps she had a heart attack or some other health issue that caused her to not return to the camp. Yet, it's bothering me that she ended up so far away from the camp that no trace of her has been found? No shoe, coat, anything at all.

Last I knew Ace was doing well and in a very loving family that has kids. I don’t think he would have left Connie unless he knew that she was gone.

I so agree. And, I know she would not ever risked him being loose in the wilds if he did not mind. It’s just too risky.

OT with a lighter story. I once had a neighbor, in MI, that raised border collies. He had a special one, Gus, Gus was allowed in the family room/breezeway only. My friend, Ron, was a FT farmer, he went in daily at noon, to eat lunch, bringing Gus with him. Sadly, one day, Ron sat in his recliner & died of a massive heart attack. When his wife brought his coffee & lunch to him, she of course found him & called for an ambulance. Before the ambulance arrived, Gus jumped in Ron’s lap and died. Yes, really.
The two were inseparable, Gus would even go to the barber shop with Ron. After the grieving process, everyone realized, the two had such a bond, one could not live, w/o the other.
Ive since heard of this happening, many times.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scc79535
Back