ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot car death was actually my first thought, I posted about that yesterday, as to how it would fulfill the how/why statements.
What body fluids would you expect to find? I'd assume he was wearing a diaper that would catch urine/feces.

I have no idea what fluids you would find exactly but you would think if one lingered in a hot car and was dead that the death smell would have been hit on by a dog or LE could tell? IDK . I still don't think an accident like that would need to be covered up by he is lost in the woods scenerio but thats my opinion.

Police usually don't call a person a suspect unless the stop talking or an arrest is expect and they have now stopped talking, so LE has nothing to lose.

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/crim...-parents-suspects-his-disappearance/79301014/

Sheriff Lynn Bowerman told KTVB that Jessica Mitchell and Deorr Kunz Sr. have been "less than truthful" since the investigation began.

"They refused to give us any further information to clear up the untruthfulness and they've changed their story on numerous occasions," he said.

I'm not sure how I feel about Klein, but I do wonder if his public announcements have forced LE to make statements prematurely. Can you imagine all of the people breathing down LE's neck in this case?

Actually, I believe that the results from the FBI allowed Sheriff Bowerman to make the announcement he has made. SB had to have looked at the possibility that the parents may not had given him the true timeline from the beginning. I think SB had his doubts about the parents statements very early on, IMO. And even if he didn't, he is bound by duty to look at all possibilities and could not clear them from the beginning. All JMO!

Geez have the parents been charged, tried and convicted in the last four hours? From the comments here it sure would seem that way...

No but they are suspects now and some of the things we couldn't say or talk about before can now be discussed, especially things that didn't make sense if they weren't some how involved. Its not us to be the judge and jury, we just discuss as that is what we do here... others will get to do that if they are charged with something and if they have to go to trial.

I just updated the media thread with some of today's articles. Thought I'd post it here too to help people just joining get caught up.

January 25, 2016:
Sheriff announces that the parents, Vernel Deorr Kunz and Jessica Mitchell, are now suspects. He says that were deceitful during multiple polygraph tests and have been "less than truthful" with investigators during recent interviews.

"They refused to give us any further information to clear up the untruthfulness and they've changed their story on numerous occasions," he said.

Bowerman said. "They know something, I just don't know what they know. It causes me alarm. I believe they know where he is absolutely."

Lemhi Co. Sheriff: DeOrr Kunz' parents named suspects in his disappearance - Interview with Sheriff Bowerman in the video. KTVB, KTVB.COM 12:14 p.m. MST January 25, 2016

KTVB7 Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KTVB7/posts/10153793292073991

Sheriff on missing toddler DeOrr Kunz's parents: 'They know where he is absolutely' By KBOI News Staff Monday, January 25th 2016

KBOI2 Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/kboi2/posts/1117653141579724

UPDATE: DeOrr’s parents named as suspects in child’s disappearance
Updated at 10:42 am, January 25th, 2016 By: Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com

“Their timeline keeps changing, where they were at keeps changing, and movements and statements about DeOrr Jr. keep changing,” Bowerman tells EastIdahoNews.com.

EIN Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/EastIdahoNews/posts/577032575779820

DeOrr Kunz, Jr. Update: Investigators Take Closer Look At Missing Toddler's Parents
Starpulse.com Heather Tooley 1/25/2016 5:09pm EST

"He says the investigation is basically “centered” on the missing toddler's parents.
At this point the couple aren't under arrest and no warrants have been issued. Bowerman has met with prosecutors, the FBI. and the Bonneville County Sheriff's Office. Bowerman wants to take time and make sure they have a solid case before charging Mitchell and Kunz."

Thoughts and ramblings by me (in no particular order):

I have doubts DeOrr was ever at the campsite, there was no evidence of him being there and no scent for the dogs. AbbeyBabbey posted a scenario last week that could explain how they fooled Grandpa and IR into believing he was there.

I assume cadavers went over the vehicles and found nothing, but I believe (and someone can probably clarify) that there is no "smell of death" for a couple of hours after someone dies, so if he did die at the campsite he must have been disposed of pronto.

I read upthread the parents may no longer be together which would explain not being FB friends on JM's new page.

Interesting that the Sheriff has basically said they're both liars. He knew from the start hence the lack of continued searching. He tried to lull them into a false sense of security and has probably been watching and waiting for someone to slip up.

Finally, I think an apology definitely needs to be made to the mountain lion community ;)

IMO there's no way Bowerman has only just started to doubt the parents' story. I think he stood up for them in the media because he didn't want to scare them into lawyering up and not co-operating.

LE told the press that Lonzie Barton's mother was cooperative and truthful too, and it turned out she'd lied to them from the very beginning and they knew it (she denied even knowing Ruben when they first told her her son was missing).

The more interviews the parents have given to LE, the more they have changed their stories, the more evidence there is against them. Whereas if LE had named them as suspects right away they would have just clammed up immediately.

Remember Bowerman saying they searched the vehicles at the campsite, then they searched them again and again to make sure they hadn't missed any compartments or something... IMO they thought DeOrr's body might have been hidden in the vehicle by the parents. I don't know, but perhaps a cadaver dog hit on the vehicle after all, and LE have decided not to make it public.

Moo.

I just updated the media thread with some of today's articles. Thought I'd post it here too for people just joining to get caught up:

<snipped>

Many thanks for your continued efforts in this case as well as all others. Know that what you do is much appreciated.

I have to wonder why JM didn't have custody of her other children.

I think that they had to live with grandpa because JM had to have supervised access. I think that JM was neglectful and something terrible happened to lil Deorr, that's why DK looks so pissed in that first video. He makes the comment about only leaving Deorr for a moment and the person that Deorr was left with couldn't even keep him safe for a short time

JM was just to calm on the 911 call. I think that the reason we didn't hear DK's 911 call is because there is something on there that DK said that tipped off the sheriff from the beginning.

Poor sweet little Deorr those that were supposed to keep you safe failed miserably, in my opinion

Thank you, ClaireNC! You are always so helpful on every case I have followed with you. Your post helps keep the facts straight!

Hot car death was actually my first thought, I posted about that yesterday, as to how it would fulfill the how/why statements.
What body fluids would you expect to find? I'd assume he was wearing a diaper that would catch urine/feces.

Vomit is common in heat-related illness. But with such a small child, I'd think that most of it would end up on him and in the carseat.

I keep clinging to accident. I am just weary of reading stories about parents deliberately hurting their kids.

Thoughts and ramblings by me (in no particular order):

Finally, I think an apology definitely needs to be made to the mountain lion community ;)

Funny how I haven't heard a thing from the mountain lion community in a while. The only people still bringing it up are the ones who didn't beleive in it. Funny how that works.

Geez have the parents been charged, tried and convicted in the last four hours? From the comments here it sure would seem that way...

Flourish, I've read the announcements and I've been following along on the forum. I'm saddened and dismayed. No one knows anything about what happened to DeOrr. There's no evidence that he's dead or alive, four inconclusive polygraphs, no body, no evidence that a crime of any sort whatsoever has been committed. Yet, because SB thinks the parents have lied although he doesn't know about what, and he absolutely believes they really DO know the whereabouts of their son (though there is no evidence to indicate where he might be), he decides to (what the heck, certainy CAN'T hurt) call the parents suspects. Never, will I EVER, prematurely judge someone who is entitled to the very same rights as everyone else in our country in accordance to our constitution. I don't condemn those who can do so, nor do I expect to be criticized for being a citizen of this great nation who truly does believe that EVERYONE is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law of competent jurisdiction. This investigation if far from that point, and I intend to post accordingly.

I was out all day and am still trying to wrap my brain around this news. I haven't read all the posts here, because this thread has been flying!

So what happens now that they have been named suspects? I know they won't arrest them until they have a tight case. Why announce that they are suspects? Are they trying to draw out more witnesses? Trying to get DK and JM to talk? Is it likely that an arrest will happen soon??

Well ClaireNC if <modsnip>, perhaps this was LE's chance to move in and play one against the other, you know divide and conquer. If so, I hope it works.

I was out all day and am still trying to wrap my brain around this news. I haven't read all the posts here, because this thread has been flying!

So what happens now that they have been named suspects? I know they won't arrest them until they have a tight case. Why announce that they are suspects? Are they trying to draw out more witnesses? Trying to get DK and JM to talk? Is it likely that an arrest will happen soon??
I was thinking maube they stopped cooperating and so LE said screw it.

Funny how I haven't heard a thing from the mountain lion community in a while. The only people still bringing it up are the ones who didn't beleive in it. Funny how that works.

It was tongue in cheek, Gia. Hence the wink emoticon.

Well ClaireNC <modsnip>, perhaps this was LE's chance to move in and play one against the other, you know divide and conquer. If so, I hope it works.

Divide and conquer does sound like it may be a potential strategy here.

"We have not charged anyone at this time, because we want to get it right and avoid double jeopardy," said Sheriff Bowerman. "We are continuing to investigate, as we want to charge the proper people with the proper crime."

http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/par...ed-suspects-summer-2015-disappearance-n503966

I'm speculating, but the reason JM might have had to stay longer in jail for driving without a license was LE wanted/needed her to come down off something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member