ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Idaho and have been wanting to post regarding predators in this area, but felt I needed to comb all the threads prior to commenting. Thus it seems discussion on wild animals has faded, but I still feel my insight might be beneficial.

I hunt specifically for predators (Bears and Wolves) in an area very close to this one. Idaho has all three previously mentioned predators bears, wolves and Mt. Lions. We have a very large and healthy bear population, but our Mt. Lion and wolf populations are significantly smaller. In fact depending on what study you chose to believe there may be as few as 2500 wolves in all of Idaho.

In my efforts to hunt, it is by design and effort that I place myself in proximity to the animals. Despite the animals being around and statistically numerous it can be and is incredibly hard to encounter them in the wild (garbage dumps around town they always seem to be available.) I will spend weeks and countless miles hiking. I use knowledge of the area I am in and knowledge of were the resources available to the animals are and still struggle to encounter an animal. Surely it is possible an encounter occurred, but from my experience very near this area it is highly unlikely. Further most kill sights I encounter while in pursuit leave reasonable evidence of a predation.

In my experience in the terrain around this area it is also very possible that poor DeOrr could be tucked under a brush knot or a rock pile and without painstaking effort to crawl in and around it, be undiscovered. I am sure SAR has put a great deal of effort into exploring every possible place he could be hidden, but from my experience there are so many brush knots and rock piles it is possible some have been overlooked.

I hope this poor little boy is found and this is not a case where the family is left forever wondering the fate of their poor little boy.

One of my concerns is the fact that the dogs did not pick up any scent but they are going back to the campsite where Deorr's items are. Another concern of mine is the fact that the Sheriff stated that they are NOT ruling out foul play, that's a big statement to make.

ADMIN NOTE: Welcome to our new members.

If you haven't done so yet, please take a little time to review THE RULES forum, particularly Etiquette & Information.

In the meantime, I'll give you the run down on a few important ones.

• Rumors and gossip are NOT allowed on WS. If you read it on Facebook, leave it on Facebook.
  • Unless LE indicates that an individual is a POI/suspect, that individual is OFF LIMITS to sleuthing and speculation. Please keep your suspicions to yourself.
  • WS holds to a "victim friendly" policy, so the above applies even more strongly to family members, particularly parents and spouses, who in most cases are innocent, and suffering terribly when their loved one is missing or murdered. The last thing we want to do is add to their pain. Therefore, they always are granted the benefit of the doubt.
  • Brainstorming theories is encouraged, but must be based on fact. For our purposes, "fact" refers to information published in the mainstream media (MSM) or other acceptable sources, such as academic and professional publications.
  • When you state something as "fact", you must back it up with a link to an approved source.
  • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
  • Social media is a nightmare in terms of rumors. You can summarize information from an original post on a LE or MSM FB page. No copy and paste, no screenshots, and you must include link.
  • Comments and posts by the general public are considered rumor, and therefore, off limits. Again, leave them where you find them.
  • Mods have the right to edit and delete posts at their discretion if deemed inappropriate, or in violation of TOS. Complaints, questions and concerns should be addressed in a private message to a mod or admin. DO NOT post them in the thread.
  • If at any time, you have questions or need assistance, the mod team is happy to help you. Please use the pm system to contact us.

The above is only a partial list of the rules. You'll find others in the links provided. Please check them out, as it is your responsibility to know them.

One last note:

**LE has stated Deorr's parents are cooperating, and are not considered suspects. Negative comments toward the parents will be met with ZERO TOLERANCE, and result in a TIME OUT, no questions asked.**

:tyou:

Bessie

Bumping this for those who haven't seen it.

Northwest Montana. I'm sorry - no way is a two year old baby a match for something like this. It can stalk, and grab it's prey without a sound (most of the attacks I've heard about the people are silent when attacked) and can run far and fast with a two year old child in its mouth. Pumas then hide and bury their prey and return to it day after day until devoured: [video=youtube;NeWM1eiWil4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeWM1eiWil4[/video]

Northwest Montana. I'm sorry - no way is a two year old baby a match for something like this. It can stalk, and grab it's prey without a sound (most of the attacks I've heard about the people are silent when attacked) and can run far and fast with a two year old child in its mouth. Pumas then hide and bury their prey and return to it day after day until devoured: [video=youtube;NeWM1eiWil4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeWM1eiWil4[/video]

And if returning was unsafe they would know not to.

Northwest Montana. I'm sorry - no way is a two year old baby a match for something like this. It can stalk, and grab it's prey without a sound (most of the attacks I've heard about the people are silent when attacked) and can run far and fast with a two year old child in its mouth. Pumas then hide and bury their prey and return to it day after day until devoured:

Mountain Lions, or Pumas if you prefer are formidable animals for any human not just a child. Here is a link to an Animal Planet show on cougar attacks. http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/other/videos/after-the-attack-anatomy-of-a-cougar-attack/

Although, in all my years in the mountains I have only once seen one in the wild and that was when I was making distressed animal sounds. Though I will admit it may be the most scared I have ever been in the Mountains.

Although, in all my years in the mountains I have only once seen one in the wild and that was when I was making distressed animal sounds. Though I will admit it may be the most scared I have ever been in the Mountains.

I was going to ask you about that. I've seen a few videos of hunters who'd called up lions while making distress calls. That must have been awesome.....once you were able to breath. :D

Regarding distress calls, I'd imagine a toddler squealing or whimpering (if lost and afraid) would sound an awful lot like prey in distress.

Interesting. So maybe the friend is someone very powerful. Maybe connected to LE or the government.

I feel like one would have to be extremely powerful to prevent the media from even publishing their name. I don't think just being part of LE would do it, as we've seen their names published in other cases. How would great-grandpa know someone that powerful? Does he live in a wealthy neighborhood? Did he work in politics or law, where he would met powerful people? Did he go to an Ivy League school? Basically, how does great-grandpa run in the same social circles as someone that powerful?

mitchell's grandfather was ALSO on the trip? that was the mother's grandfather who was the 4th person???? right?

according to this the grandfather said the parents were setting up camp

The elder Kunz says the boy's parents were setting up camp and assumed Mitchell's grandfather, who was also on the trip, was watching the boy. The grandfather assumed the boy's parents were watching him, says Kunz.

They certainly have similar sound, but the difference is in the volume of the lungs. Typically we try to make distress calls in short duration to mimic the small lungs of a rabbit or fawn.

I have had my young ones in the mountains with me and have never had their sounds initiate an animal encounter, more often it encourages mass exodus.

Yes it was an amazing experience and one I am glad I have had. Despite my "hunter" status I actually spend most of my time just photographing animals, so I really enjoy encounters in the wild.

I share the frustration with the lack of information being given out. Coming from a camo-wearing family I want to point out that when people refer to "camo" it is assumed they mean the traditional green/tan/brown/black color scheme. If I am talking about my pink camo, I call it my pink camo. As an example, I have three pairs of gloves - pink camo, purple camo, and "camo".

Even the companies that design camo patterns make that distinction. The traditional colored items are called "camo" and the non-traditional are called "colored camo". See http://www.realtree.com/camo-guide and http://www.realtree.com/realtree-ap-hd-camo-colors

Thank you for the info. I assumed that little Deorr's jacket was most likely traditional camo, but since nothing has been confirmed, I wasn't sure. Wearing a camo jacket and camo boots would make it even more difficult for searchers to locate a person lost in the forest.

Thank you for the info. I assumed that little Deorr's jacket was most likely traditional camo, but since nothing has been confirmed, I wasn't sure. Wearing a camo jacket and camo boots would make it even more difficult for searchers to locate a person lost in the forest.

You know his poor parents are beating themselves up over this choice of clothing.

I went to an all-night Disney trip with my brother and his 3 kids last year, and I couldn't believe they didn't have them all in matching glow-in-the-dark clothing, spot lights on their hats, flashing bike lights, leashes, etc., head to toe. That place was so crowded and with so many pitch black corners and between buildings anyone at any time could have snatched one and been gone in a split second.

Possible? Yes of course, but based on the statistics that have been shared in previous threads, it seems unlikely. CDB also shared his opinion about encountering animals on the previous page.

I feel like one would have to be extremely powerful to prevent the media from even publishing their name. I don't think just being part of LE would do it, as we've seen their names published in other cases. How would great-grandpa know someone that powerful? Does he live in a wealthy neighborhood? Did he work in politics or law, where he would met powerful people? Did he go to an Ivy League school? Basically, how does great-grandpa run in the same social circles as someone that powerful?

I don't know anything about GGP. He could be BFFs with Obama. I have no idea why the press wouldn't be sharing his friend's name though. The only thing I can think of is it's a powerful or influential person with privacy concerns. Or a very private person whose wishes are being respected by the press and LE, and if that's the case I'm impressed by them for keeping it quiet.

It is not uncommon for little boys to mimic daddy and wear camo gear because dad puts his on when he goes to the mountains. I had never thought how dangerous this could be, until this thread. I think my poor kids are going to be unhappy campers dressed in their florescent clothing.

What's even worse is camo seems to be a fashion trend. My wife has skirts and casual clothing in camo. It never seems to help her blend in at the Mall though.

Interesting. So maybe the friend is someone very powerful. Maybe connected to LE or the government.

Just to clarify, what I meant was when I mentioned the "friend", I did NOT mean by name I meant when I just talked/mentioned "great-grandpa's friend".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr