ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm -- someone needs to get on this asap. Can you imagine how popular key-sniffing dogs would be?
I had a friend with a retired K-9 shepherd. He would go fetch a beer from the fridge. He played soccer. He did tons of tricks. His favorite hide n seek game was with keys. His owner would hide the keys (dangling from a leather fob) and the dog knew if he found them...it was time to go for a ride! I saw the dog find them inside cabinets, under the sofa, and other places. It was amazing.

-when we used to camp, we'd rough it , but, if I was taking Grandpa, in "declining physical and mental health" (according to the Sheriff) I certainly wouldn't choose a spot out in the middle of nowhere, in the event that something happened to him and I needed medical assistance immediately.
Actually, I am beginning to think GGF took them camping and chose this particular area because he was familiar with it. GGF may have been declining, but older people don't like to change their habits to fit their limitations. ;)

Just another random thought that may have already been covered here. New York Times article released June 28th...
states that prison escapees David Sweat and Richard Matt used pepper to throw off the dogs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/nyregion/second-new-york-prison-escapee-shot.html?_r=0

"It was not clear whether the men remained together the whole time, but they appeared to have been together recently enough that a discarded pepper shaker bearing Mr. Sweat’s DNA was found by investigators over the weekend near the spot where Mr. Matt was killed on Friday.

Mr. D’Amico, of the State Police, said the men possibly used the pepper to throw off the scent of the search dogs, a ruse employed in the 1967 film “Cool Hand Luke.”
“We did have difficulty tracking, so it was fairly effective in that respect,” he said."

Another press release from NewYork Post with details.
http://nypost.com/2015/07/22/shaw-*...cts-put-pepper-in-boots-to-evade-search-dogs/
Details provided by State Police Maj. Charles Guess to the Press-Republican of Plattsburgh show that David Sweat and Richard Matt went out of their way to confound searchers after their June 6 escape from Clinton Correctional Facility, near the Canadian border. After a panicky moment when their getaway ride failed to show, the two convicted murderers walked west from the prison toward deep woods.

Sweat carried pepper to throw off tracking dogs in the guitar case he packed with food and other provisions squirreled away while in prison.
“They put it in their boots, and whenever they made a significant change in direction or had holed up for a while, they used pepper liberally to throw off the dogs,” Guess told the newspaper.

Wouldn't they know if that had been the case though - that someone had used pepper spray? How well does it work?

Wouldn't they know if that had been the case though - that someone had used pepper spray? How well does it work?
Not pepper spray but real pepper. When Sweat had laid out the details of their escape he said he had been collecting it for months at the prison. Apparently he had a lot of it with other food and provisions in a guitar case. I just thought the timing of the news release of this high profile case reporting the pepper trick was interesting. June 28th...you know 13 days before Deorr went missing. Just another unusual coincidence that passed through this old lady's head who wants Deorr found. Alive.

Not pepper spray but real pepper. When Sweat had laid out the details of their escape he said he had been collecting it for months at the prison. Apparently he had a lot of it with other food and provisions in a guitar case. I just thought the timing of the news release of this high profile case reporting the pepper trick was interesting. June 28th...you know 13 days before Deorr went missing. Just another unusual coincidence that passed through this old lady's head who wants Deorr found. Alive.

So now we need pepper-sniffing dogs to go along with they key-sniffing dogs. :)

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/unit.aspx?ID=38

Outfitters & Guides

No hunting outfitters are available in Unit 29.

No pack trip outfitters are available in Unit 29.

That's not what I've found. There are two outfitters who have the units that surround Unit 29 and one of these outfitters also has Unit 29. They are as follows:

www.rawhideoutfitters.net/lion hunting.html
They have Units 28, 29, 32A and 36-B

http://saddlespringsoutfitter.com/
They have Units 21, 21A, 28, 30 and 30-A

People pay several thousands of dollars to hunt for mountain lions/cougars in these areas. The reviews are outstanding as are the successes in bagging their lion/s. so I don't think anyone should even "think" there are no mountain lions in the area where Little Deorr vanished, because they are certainly there. The seasons run August 30 to March 31 for one outfitter and November 28 to March 31 for the other. Take a look at these sites, read the material, and be sure to look at the photos. These animals are HUGE! Special thanks to my "friend" for helping me with much of this research :)

That's not what I've found. There are two outfitters who have the units that surround Unit 29 and one of these outfitters also has Unit 29. They are as follows:

People pay several thousands of dollars to hunt for mountain lions/cougars in these areas. The reviews are outstanding as are the successes in bagging their lion/s. so I don't think anyone should even "think" there are no mountain lions in the area where Little Deorr vanished, because they are certainly there. The seasons run August 30 to March 31 for one outfitter and November 28 to March 31 for the other. Take a look at these sites, read the material, and be sure to look at the photos. These animals are HUGE! Special thanks to my "friend" for helping me with much of this research :)

I hate that they kill all these beautiful animals...Just disgusting IMO

I hate that they kill all these beautiful animals...Just disgusting IMO

Here's what gets me even more though. From April until October the areas where these beautiful animals live also have humans living there too. Then, when the humans leave, the hunters, ALSO humans, hunt them down with bait and hounds. And somewhere in this mix of the hunters and the hunted, innocent people who are neither are attacked and/or killed. :(

Actually, I am beginning to think GGF took them camping and chose this particular area because he was familiar with it. GGF may have been declining, but older people don't like to change their habits to fit their limitations. ;)

That's a possibility, older people are often in denial about their limitations.

I'd assume fairly well. I have used black pepper as a deterrent for both my cats and wild animals. It keeps the cats out of my houseplants, and it keeps the squirrels out of my flowers and vegetables. If they sniff it, it makes them sneeze. They can't get a good snort of anything without sneezing, so they pull back. Eventually, they just give up.

But if someone had doused their trail with black (or red, I guess) pepper, you'd think there'd be a bunch of sneezing dogs, which would make it, if not obvious, at least suspicious. Right?

I think one can call the forest ranger for this camping area and find this out.

Good idea! :thumb:

and... Thank you to all the posters helping to answer my question!

:tyou:

Omg, they actually have Mountain Lion hunting season, how horrible. I shouldn't have looked at this. It makes me ill what people will do just to have a "trophy" on their wall. Disgusting egotistical maniacs, IMO.

It has been mentioned by one of his close relatives on SM that he is on oxygen 24 hours/day. I can't link because it is not a validated source, so consider it MOO.

I wouldn't think being on oxygen 24/7 would keep him from primitive camping with family. Oxygen these days is SO portable and I see people in all walks of life with portable oxygen units. Why couldn't he camp?

I wouldn't think being on oxygen 24/7 would keep him from primitive camping with family. Oxygen these days is SO portable and I see people in all walks of life with portable oxygen units. Why couldn't he camp?

I agree, especially after living in WV and seeing stubborn senior citizens do things like chop firewood, work on cars, and fish.

edit: I say stubborn because my friend's GP often said "Leave me the *** alone! I'll do what I want!" :)

My Dad was on oxygen 24/7 towards the end of his life. And although he could still do some things with us as a family, he had to forego camping. Altitude was a problem for him. As was being too far away from a hospital. If someone is forced to breathe from an oxygen tank, it usually means that their heart/lungs are severely compromised. So it is not good to be too far away from a hospital in case of an emergency. JMO

I agree, especially after living in WV and seeing stubborn senior citizens do things like chop firewood, work on cars, and fish.

edit: I say stubborn because my friend's GP often said "Leave me the *** alone! I'll do what I want!" :)

I'll probably be the most stubborn senior citizen of all. Definitely can see myself saying that! :)

Omg, they actually have Mountain Lion hunting season, how horrible. I shouldn't have looked at this. It makes me ill what people will do just to have a "trophy" on their wall. Disgusting egotistical maniacs, IMO.

Completely off topic and my first post, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules. These kinds of emotionally driven posts drive me crazy. Mountain Lion meat is great, so it's not all about getting a trophy. Also mountain lion populations need to be controlled just like other big game species.

I am aware that he is on oxygen. Something like COPD is chronic and does get worse over time. However, in the earlier stages people may be on oxygen but still be able to do a lot of the things they used to enjoy. While pneumonia is a concern with COPD, it is not something that you have to be near a hospital at all times. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr