GUILTY ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan, Tammy Daybell *Arrests* #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At one point JP says he meets the criteria to become death penalty qualified but chose not to do so. He also said he started a year and a half ago (middle to late 2022) to try to get another attorney to join the case and that after going thru the state’s list of death qualified attorneys he started looking at out of state attorneys and still came up empty. And he said that in October of last year that he had identified a private attorney who would consider becoming death penalty qualified to join the case which has not yet happened. JP knew in Aug 2021 that the state was seeking the death penalty. So I have the following questions going through my mind…
1) Why didn’t he start in Aug 2021 trying to find a death penalty qualified attorney to assist him? That was a full year before he says he started looking. Why did he waste that year?
2) Once he did realize that getting a death penalty qualified attorney to join the case was problematic (late 2022 to early 2023) why didn’t he get himself qualified since he says he meets the criteria? (Especially after CD was declared indigent a year ago and JP could have been paid by the state if he did get qualified.)
3) Why did he ask the court to find CD indigent in Jan 2023 and not step down then to allow the court to appoint the 2 death penalty qualified attorneys at that time?
4) Shouldn’t JP get in some kind of trouble for changing his reason for requesting to be allowed to depart the case for different reasons in court today than he put in the motion he submitted?
5) What about JP saying in the motion that CD wanted JP to resign from the case and the Judge saying in court that CD wants JP to remain? Isn’t that again contrary to what JP said in the motion? Can he really just put what he wants in a motion and then change that information in court?

I think the Judge should have at least admonished him but also think he should have reprimanded him.

I agree with the Judge’s decision to deny JP’s motion to withdraw but I also think it will be one of many grounds for appeal they will come up with after the trial - though I suspect that JP won’t be handling the appeal.
IMO JP was hoping to get the DP off the table from the start and stay on as a public defender when the funds ran out. Before Chad became indigent, he likely could not afford a DP qualified attorney.

At present there are no DP qualified attorneys on Chad's team. It is not a requirement if Chad has a private counsel (paid or unpaid). Two DP qualified attorneys are required if he asks for a public defender instead of the private attorney.
So what happens then if Chad tries to fire him?

I'm confused, isn't there one DP qualified attorney on Chad's team, and if so, why isn't that enough? Why are two required?

(c) Attorney Qualifications. Attorneys appointed pursuant to Idaho Criminal Rules must be selected from the Idaho State Public Defense Commission Capital Defending Attorney Roster.

......two qualified trial attorneys must be appointed to represent an indigent defendant.

So what happens then if Chad tries to fire him?

Chad can't fire him.

The judge always has to approve that request from the defendant. The defendant would have to file a specific motion for this....Motion for new counsel.

He can't, because the judge just ruled against JP's motion to be dismissed from the case.

If Chad filed a motion for new counsel the motion would be denied.

2 Cents

More questions on my mind…

There are 33 attorneys on the Idaho Public Defender’s roster of capital defense attorneys. Are all 33 really too busy to take on CD’s case? Or do they just want nothing to do with it?

I know capital attorneys also have other cases but it seems odd to me that all 33 for a year and a half have told JP they were too busy to take on this case. I could see them saying that now with only a few months left to the trial but no one could work it into their schedules a year and a half ahead of trial?

Also, JP mentioned it today and I’ve heard several people say that Idaho has an unusual amount of death penalty cases going on and therefore there is a shortage of death penalty attorneys available but I am only aware of this one and the Kohberger case. Does anyone know a number of death penalty cases on-going or upcoming? It seems odd to me that in 40 years Idaho has sentenced only 11 people to death - 8 of whom remain on death row - and now with 33 death penalty qualified attorneys on their roster, they cannot find anyone for this case.

Scott Reisch's opinion: JP's ego got the better of him when he told the court that it's not about the money, so the judge made him stay on the case. If Chad get's the DP, they would claim that JP was unprepared and unqualified, resulting in Chad getting another trial.

This whole motion doesn't make sense to me. I can't see what the purpose was.

Why would Prior and CD be presenting a motion to take Prior off the case, if they both wanted him ON the case, regardless of the finances? No one else was asking for Prior to go away.

i watched the hearing. Prior said "I'm not getting paid" -- and the court agreed that he should get paid -- which would have been a perfectly solid reason to allow him to leave the case. But then he added "I want to continue, whether I get paid or not," and CD chimed in "Even with the limitations he has outlined, I want Prior as my attorney, not someone else." All throughout, the judge kept trying to get either Prior or CD to say they wanted Prior removed, and neither would say it. Those statements by Prior and CD saying they want Prior to continue - in light of the rule that the defendant gets to pick his lawyer that is private pay, as long as the lawyer is willing to do the work -- forced the court to deny Prior's motion.

But if those statements by Prior and CD are true (and there is no reason for them to lie about it), then what was the point here? Why would they themselves bring this motion to force Prior off the case? What was their plan if Prior HAD BEEN taken off the case, even though they both really wanted him to stay? It all makes no sense to me.

Prior crying poverty didn't change anything. The state by law could not pay Prior, who was a private pay and private selected attorney. He previously had some side resources made available to him by the state, and still does. Even though he may not be getting paid personally, he can hire someone else of his choosing to be 2nd chair, plus whatever experts are needed, including a mitigation expert, and the court had previously said there are resources available for those costs.

I can come up with 4 possibilities, but they all seem far-fetched. Was this some sort of elaborate game being staged, where Prior was trying to make the state think he won't be prepared? Or was it a ploy to get the court and state to agree to delay the trial, in the interest of the defendant getting a FULLY prepared defense? Or to give money to Prior? Or was it a move to lay the groundwork for an appeal, on the basis of the court forcing a sole attorney to work alone and lacking the time to fully prepare against the sizable workforce of the state of Idaho? Those are the best I can conjur, but to me none of those really seem to fit the drama of "I have to quit this case."

Last edited:
JP did try to find a second chair unsuccessfully. Not sure what his chances are of finding one on his own this late. IMO, JP's motion was also a consequence of DP removal being denied. Perhaps he was hoping for a compromise that would let him stay, get help and get a delay.

Last edited:
Lori's old lawyer offers his opinion: It's about saving costs for the county. The court could have appointed a qualified co-counsel like in Lori's case.

So, what's this war we are talking about? The "side" that spends the least money wins? WTF?

This man has no sense of the bigger pictures. The war could be for justice. It could be for public safety. It could be for defendants' rights. There are several.

But the big picture is not getting through this legal process as inexpensively as possible.

The cheapest options I could think of are dropping the charges or setting Chad loose with angry, homocidal prisoners with reputations to build. But we don't do either because of the real foci, above.

This attorney is not the academic type, IMO.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back