ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan, Tammy Daybell, Charles Vallow *Arrests* #71

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
no 2019, same date that Tylee was seen alive, according to Nate
From Nate's tweet it's unclear to me whether Lori told MG on Sept 22 that she saw Moroni that day or previously. Or perhaps it was an anniversary of the meeting. Lori did mention meeting Moroni before - wasn't he present when Lori and Chad fake-sealed themselves to each other at the Mesa Temple?

ETA: Sept 22 was a Sunday and a day during MG's visit to Lori. Did they go to the Rexburg temple together? It wasn't mentioned in any of the testimonies.

From Nate's tweet it's unclear to me whether Lori told MG on Sept 22 that she saw Moroni that day or previously. Or perhaps it was an anniversary of the meeting. Lori did mention meeting Moroni before - wasn't he present when Lori and Chad fake-sealed themselves to each other at the Mesa Temple?

ETA: Sept 22 was a Sunday and a day during MG visiting to Lori. Did they go to the Rexburg temple together? It wasn't mentioned in any of the testimonies.
I seem to remember there was a visit to a temple testified to by D Warwick (not that they went inside but he and MG could have arrived afterwards) when he pretended to see what they were seeing.

ah, now looking back at testimony I see that was next to a church

yes, see previous tweet in his thread

next, for clarity, on Sept 22nd visitation ( JJ death 22-23) , cross reference it to the other trial day's list of visits & scans ( to get any more clarity need to listen to audio for this witness)

At 6:36:

Reporter: "Has the state offered you guys a deal?"
JA: "We talked about agreements, but we weren't able to reach one."

I think there was way too much being made of this statement. It wasn’t a surprise or news & he didn’t betray any confidences or strategy when he said it. In June of last year it was reported that a pre-trial conference was set for Nov 9th for that very reason. I’m not sure whether it actually took place on 11/9 because they had that whole competency thing going again in October so that could have changed the date.

Last edited:
yes while I recall the DNA on the pick axe, those piercings in the illustration look elongated & the forensic path says she cannot say ( The ' Body Farm' databases of their trials & experiments?)
Hopefully somebody like Jo Scott Morgan will do a podcast of his thoughts on what he's heard

Update to that^

Just finished watching Nate Eaton's last show - he says that there will be a tool marks expert today ( Another forensic pathologist) and that yesterday's witness said that she is not a tool marks expert - just not her field.

Hopefully, this morning we'll get to hear how Tylee was desecrated & try to work out whether all the tools were Chad's ( not Alex's)

( this is the problem with relying just on live tweet feeds - we're missing loads. )

SPEAKERS AT THE TRIAL (UPDATED THROUGH 26 APR 2023)

LINDSEY BLAKE: STATE ATTNY (summary 1, audio Apr10)
Opening statements - "The defendant used money, power, and sex to get what she wanted. It didn't matter what it was."

JAMES ARCHIBALD: DEFENSE ATTNY (summary 1, audio Apr10)
Opening statements - "The evidence will show Lori was a kind and loving mother."

1- KAY WOODCOCK: STATE WITNESS, grandmother of JJ (summary 1, 2, 3, audio Apr10)
CV's life insurance (Feb 2019), JJ's disappearance (Aug 2019), wedding items on CV's Amazon account (Oct 2019)
X-EXAM: establishes that KW asked LVD to raise JJ

2- BRANDON BOUDREAUX: STATE WITNESS, ex-husb of LVD’s niece (summary 1, audio Apr10)
LE's initial involvement; attempted shooting from Jeep (Oct 2019)
X-EXAM: questions why MP thought BB was gay, questions BB’s observations of shooting

3 - RAY HERMOSILLO: STATE WITNESS, Rexburg PD (summary 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, audio Apr11, Apr12)
Jeep surveillance, welfare check & search warrants (Nov 2019), discovery of JJ & TR bodies (Jun 2020)
X-EXAM: questions whose weapons were in garage, establishes that LVD was in HI when TD died (19 Oct 2019)

4 - JARED WILLMORE: STATE WITNESS, Madison Co Sheriff (summary 1, audio Apr12)
CD & LVD prison phone call as bodies were discovered (Jun 2020)

--CD & LVD's AFFAIR (OCT 2018-OCT 2019)--

5 - JOE POWELL
: STATE WITNESS, Fremont Co Sheriff (summary 1, audio Apr12)
surveillance on CD & LVD (Nov 2019), exhumation of TD's body (Dec 2019)
X-EXAM: establishes that LVD was in HI when TD died (19 Oct 2019)

6 - MELANIE GIBB: STATE WITNESS, friend of LVD (summary 1, 2, 3, 4, audio Apr13) OBJ
CD & LVD's initial meeting (Oct 2018), CD & LVD's shared beliefs & affair; CD & LVD's phone call with MG (Dec 2019), MG & DW's visit to LVD's on last day JJ was seen (22 Sep 2019)
X-EXAM: asks about religious beliefs, emphasizes all LVD did for her children

7 - NATHAN DUNCAN: STATE WITNESS, Chandler PD (summary 1, 2, audio Apr13, Apr14)
shooting of CV (Jul 2019), CD's call to mortuary (Jul 2019), CD's blessing to AC (Jun 2019), "CV"'s email to CD & CV's emails to TD (Jun 2019), texts from CV to LVD (Jul 2019), texts between CD & LVD about CV's insurance (Jul 2019), AC's "2manykids" text to LVD (Sep 2019)

8 - ZULEMA PASTENES: STATE WITNESS, wife of AC (summary 1, 2, 3, audio Apr14, Apr18)
CD & LVD's initial meeting (Oct 2018), CD & LVD's shared beliefs & affair; "Idiot can't do anything right by himself" on night TD was shot at (Oct 2019), "I think I'm being their fall guy" (Dec 2019)
X-EXAM: asks about religious beliefs

9 - COLBY RYAN: STATE WITNESS, son of LVD (summary 1, 2, audio Apr18)
financial issues; prison phone call between CR & LVD (Jul? 2020)
X-EXAM: asks about religious beliefs, emphasizes all LVD did for her children

---CV's DEATH (JUL 2019)---

10 - MIKE SAARI
: STATE WITNESS, Social Security Administration (summary 1, audio Apr18)
social security payments

11 - CHUCK KUNSAITIS: STATE WITNESS, Rexburg PD (summary 1, 2, audio Apr18, Apr19)
bank statements, prescriptions, flights

12 - MIKE DOUGLASS: STATE WITNESS, FBI (summary 1, 2, audio Apr19)
timelines of financials

13 - SCOTT COWDEN: STATE WITNESS, Chandler FD paramedic (summary 1, audio Apr19) OBJ
AC did not provide CPR to CV after shooting (11 Jul 2019)

14 - AIREL WERTHER: STATE WITNESS, Chandler PD homicide (summary 1, audio Apr19) OBJ
following up with LVD after CV's death (11 Jul 2019)
X-EXAM: establishes that AC called 911, establishes that JJ & TR were both with LVD day of shooting

15 - SANDRA YNCLAN: STATE WITNESS, Chandler PD homicide (summary 1, audio Apr19) OBJ
interviewed LVD & TD after CV's death (11 Jul 2019)
X-EXAM: establishes that AC was not arrested after CV’s death

16 - APRIL RAYMOND: STATE WITNESS, friend of LVD (summary 1, audio Apr19)
*exclusionary issue - listened to Jason Lum’s interview with a cousin of LVD
LVD & TR's stay in HI, LVD was "done with JJ" (Feb 2019)
X-EXAM: asks about religious beliefs

17 - NATHAN MOFFATT: STATE WITNESS, Chandler PD (summary 1, audio Apr20) OBJ
CV’s death & inconsistencies in interviews (11 Jul 2019)

---MOVE TO REXBURG (SEP 2019)---

18 - SYDNEY WOODBURY SCHENK
: STATE WITNESS, JJ’s babysitter (summary 1, audio Apr20)
Babysitting JJ (18-19 Sep 2019)
X-EXAM: establishes that witness thought she would be babysitting JJ long-term

19 - JOSH WILSON: STATE WITNESS, Kennedy Elementary Principal (summary 1, audio Apr20)
JJ’s school attendance in Rexburg (3-20 Sep 2019)
X-EXAM: establishes that witness thought JJ would be attending school there long-term

20 - WYNN HILL: STATE WITNESS, BYU-I Dean (summary 1, audio Apr20)
TR never applied or enrolled at BYU-I

---JJ & TYLEE'S DEATHS (SEP 2019)---

21 - DAVID WARWICK
: STATE WITNESS, friend of LVD & husband of MG (summary 1, audio Apr20)
*exclusionary issue - listened to 45m of wife MG’s testimony OBJ
Introduced to LVD by MG in AZ (Aug 2019), visit to LVD’s in Rexburg (20-23 Sep 2019)
X-EXAM: asks about religious beliefs/visions

22 - BRUCE MATTINGLY: STATE WITNESS, Fremont Co Sheriff (summary 1, audio Apr20)
Seized electronic evidence from Daybell home (Jan 2020)

23 - BENJAMIN DEAN: STATE WITNESS, FBI analyst (summary 1, audio Apr20)
TD’s cell phone data, including raccoon text (9 Sep 2019)

24 - DAVE STUBBS: STATE WITNESS, Rexburg PD (summary 1, 2, 3, audio Apr20, audio Apr24)
Travel records, email, Fitbit, prescription, cell phones, insurance records; search for TR’s Jeep & welfare check (Nov 2019); wedding photos (Nov 2019)
X-EXAM: asks about forensic training, reiterates that only AC was at both locations on key dates

25 - NICOLE HEIDEMAN: STATE WITNESS, FBI (summary 1, 2, audio Apr24)
CD & LVD Google searches, temple visit dates (Nov 2018-Oct 2019)
X-EXAM: asks about search results

26 - NICK BALLANCE: STATE WITNESS, FBI (summary 1, 2, 3, audio Apr24, Apr25)
Cell phone data location ‘pings’ (Sep 2019)
X-EXAM: asks about FBI training, mapping cell areas

27 - SUMMER SHIFLET: STATE & DEFENSE WITNESS, LVD’s sister, representing TR (summary 1, audio Apr25)
STATE: LVD told her she knew where kids were and that they were safe (Feb 2020), video visit (Jun 2020)
DEFENSE: LVD’s childhood & family, LVD’s relationship with TR, LVD’s religious beliefs

--- FORENSICES EVIDENCE FROM JJ & TYLEE'S REMAINS (JUN 2020)---

28 - RICK SCHMITT
: STATE WITNESS, Rexburg PD (summary 1, 2, audio Apr25)
Yellowstone trip (8 Sep 2019), storage unit footage (Oct 2019), discovery of bodies (9 Jun 2020)
X-EXAM: asks how they know “C.Quint” at shooting club was AC

29 - STEVE DANIELS: STATE WITNESS, FBI forensics (summary 1, audio Apr25)
Excavation of TR & JJ’s remains (9 Jun 2020)
X-EXAM: asks about credentials

30 - DR GARTH WARREN: STATE WITNESS, forensic pathologist (summary 1, audio Apr26)
JJ’s autopsy: cause of death as asphyxia by plastic bag & duct tape (11 Jun 2020), TR’s autopsy: cause of death as homicide by unspecified means (Jun 2020)
X-EXAM: asks about credentials, how they determined cause of death

31 - DR ANGI CHRISTENSEN: STATE WITNESS, FBI forensics anthropologist (summary 1, audio Apr26)
Examination of TR’s bones

At 6:36:

Reporter: "Has the state offered you guys a deal?"
JA: "We talked about agreements, but we weren't able to reach one."

No, sorry, would take too long to re-find, he said it in week 1 but there'll be a news clip somewhere online

alternatively, the last link I posted to an STS commentary show - the one with Greg & Chris on panel- has Greg Skordas attorney discussing it. Hellis has also talked about it in her interviews

Thanks @indicolite22
At no time did he state "we did try and get our client to accept a plea".

For all we know the state wanted to deal and they said no. Maybe that's not the case but we don't know the terms nor who was initiating what.

Last edited:
Well, I finally caught up! Not that I feel any happier for it, the details of the children's autopsies are just so shocking and horrific. But it wasn't really addressed, or if it was I missed it - is it possible that JJ was still alive when they buried him? Or not at all possible? It might mean that he was kept in Chad's shed for a while. I would really like to have my fears laid to rest. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BanPokies1