GUILTY ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan, Tammy Daybell, Charles Vallow *Arrests* #76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll likely be swimming upstream of the current with this, but I’m a bit disappointed with the State who appears they didn’t guide the victim impact statements too much. The case defense cited with their objections had a lot in its appeal about victim impact statements that provided information that went well beyond the scope of the laws guiding them. And they argued on appeals that the Court heard information beyond the scope and there wasn’t a surefire way to ensure that info wasn’t taken into account at setencing.

I know that her charges can bring life imprisonment here, and I’m more disappointed in this because I cannot imagine the shock of being cutoff midsentence and having to think on the fly (especially if the State did not provide assistance to help guide what can be said and not said). Thankfully they all seemed to think in the fly but I cannot imagine how much more difficult that would’ve made the already very difficult situation

With Vicki saying the prosecution kinda left her on her own to write her letter to the Court, and told by them that they don’t really represent the victims, I cannot imagine the difficulty on navigating the waters mostly on your own. I would be foolish if I said defense including this stuff on appeal would be some win or slam dunk at a new trial or something, but if it gives them anything additional to be able to argue, because the State didn’t guide them, I feel even more saddened for the victims and all of their family. JMOO

I feel great sorrow for the Woodcocks, but I wished that Kay had made a a shorter (without repetition) statement. This is losing its impact for me. Just IMO.
Yeah me too. I tried to say this in my other post here but it seemed like it contained quite a bit of information that - at least per my amateur opinion in seeing the appeals case they cited with objections - that statements going beyond the scope of what is allowed under the law and I feel disappointed in that it seemed the State didn’t help them much. I can’t imagine how difficult it was to be cut off in real-time from your written statement and having to think on the fly. Maybe they did assist the victims more with their statements but at least from Vicki sharing her story on YouTube about this, it seems like she was left all on her own to figure out what to write

All Lori actually heard was... lalalalala... I was a good mother... I was a good mother.... lalalala... lalalala... I was a good mother... lalalala... lalala... do I have enough money for honey buns... lalala... I was a good mother... lalala...

imo

Theres no way she doesnt get LWOP right?
For the most serious of the charges, yeah essentially. Which is also why, in JMOO, the prosecutor using statements like if the Court’s “sentences any less than what is requested by the State” it will show the community that the lives of those lost aren’t valued. Not only are statements like that, made in mind with knowing the minimum sentencing provided already, have been used in numerous State appeals because, as defense argued, they’re prejudicial to the defendant. As some appeals have argued, and some successfully, you can’t really unring the bell if you tell the Court something like that and not know for sure if it impacted their sentencing at all.

Note - I’m not saying any appeal of hers will be successful if it even included any of these similar arguments; rather I am expressing some disappointment that the State would get close to saying statements like that to give the defense more room to argue in an appeal later on. If she’s facing a minimum sentence already, saying inflammatory things like that aren’t exactly “necessary” to convince the Court of anything. Wood and Blake have not handled cases of this magnitude before, but Smith has had murder convictions overturned and some sent back for new sentencing because she made similar comments, using more feelings than fact, that higher Courts later found numerous errors with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member