Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But what was the motive for taking the kids away? There were no threats to Tylee (ever) and not even JJ in the early September. The couple of emails that Kay sent to Lori by then were non-threatening. Did she keep in touch with the kids through Alex? What about after his death? Why did she spend all the kids' money on herself?

Also, what animals? There's no indication that Alex kept pets. They barely just moved to Rexburg. Would you offer someone your pet cemetery to bury their pet? And where was Chad during those two hours Alex was there? Burning limbs and burying a raccoon?

ETA: If the paneling found on top of JJ's body came from Chad's barn, then he can't deny his active involvement. The green bucket found in Tylee's grave might also be his.

I think they'll have to come up with something better.

I agree completely, plus once AxC died, CD & LVD didn't take any action - if he hid them, you would think they would be concerned at that point!

Last edited:
I wonder where JJ thought Tylee had gone after Tylee disappeared two weeks before JJ’s death. They probably told him Tylee had gone off to college. That’s sad because JJ was close to Tylee. Thus this leads me to believe the plan to kill the kids had to be in September to explain Tylee’s absence. With Tylee gone JJ would most likely act out more frequently- thus JJ needed to be killed. How sad.

Regarding Chad’s family, MG or any party other than the two principles, who really wants to believe their brother or friend is a killer? We all have dysfunction in our families but we don’t think they would actually turn into child killers. I may think my brother is a jerk but never would I believe he would kill anyone. Chad was a somewhat popular author and publisher, was married for years prior to LV, & did appear successful.

I don’t think MG, DW or anyone else (alive) was involved in the murders. I know I would probably give my friends the benefit of the doubt up until they were arrested. As humans we tend to want to think people we know aren’t capable of bad things. Just because we think some folks are weird, we still don’t think they are capable of murdering children.

I certainly hope MG gets an attorney now. I was very surprised she hadn’t secured one prior to her testimony. An attorney would have guided her on what and what not to say, as she was pretty raw on the stand.
We’ve wondered why kill JJ when MG (or anyone) was visiting. Why not wait until the guests had gone. At one point MG told police JJ had been w/her but left. It occurs to me when she was visiting MG may have known JJ was going away and LV would tell people he left w/Melanie so it wouldn’t look suspicious. Not that MG knew he was going to be killed—rather she believed he was going to be sent somewhere else secretly where he would be safe.

I haven’t been suspicious of MG, but I’m beginning to suspect she still hasn’t told the full truth. At least not publicly.

OMG he looks more and more ghoulish every time i see him since he's been behind bars.
The portion of his face from lips down, looks to be shrinking. From the lips up to hair line elongating, very bizarre? Pretty soon he will have zero chin!!

Last edited:
We’ve wondered why kill JJ when MG (or anyone) was visiting. Why not wait until the guests had gone. At one point MG told police JJ had been w/her but left. It occurs to me when she was visiting MG may have known JJ was going away and LV would tell people he left w/Melanie so it wouldn’t look suspicious. Not that MG knew he was going to be killed—rather she believed he was going to be sent somewhere else secretly where he would be safe.

I haven’t been suspicious of MG, but I’m beginning to suspect she still hasn’t told the full truth. At least not publicly.
I am of the opinion that she knew those kids were going to be killed. They were dark, after all, and she believed in that rubbish too.
They were not real children, they were not human.

I really think they're going to go down that road. Lori will claim she trusted Alex to take the children to someplace where other cultists would care for them, while Chad will claim Alex wanted to us his pet cemetery for animals he needed to bury. Since we know Alex' phone was pinging out there and Alex can't defend himself anymore (probably wouldn't, anyway), I think we can assume--barring actual DNA of Chad's found on the kids--they'll pin it all on Alex, and the jury will have enough question for reasonable doubt.

I sure hope it doesn't go down that way -- but I can see it happening, especially if they get a jury member who thinks along the same lines they think.

JMOO
I can’t imagine that Lori or Chad will testify. If they do I can’t imagine a jury will believe whatever convoluted story they would present. And I don’t think they or their legal teams can confer on a defense for both of them but IANAL, so what do I know?

But what was the motive for taking the kids away? There were no threats to Tylee (ever) and not even JJ in the early September. The couple of emails that Kay sent to Lori by then were non-threatening. Did she keep in touch with the kids through Alex? What about after his death? Why did she spend all the kids' money on herself?

Also, what animals? There's no indication that Alex kept pets. They barely just moved to Rexburg. Would you offer someone your pet cemetery to bury their pet? And where was Chad during those two hours Alex was there? Burning limbs and burying a raccoon?

ETA: If the paneling found on top of JJ's body came from Chad's barn, then he can't deny his active involvement. The green bucket found in Tylee's grave might also be his.

I think they'll have to come up with something better.
And way less complicated.

People are curious. How do you make sure they don’t listen to the news or read newspaper articles or get on the internet?
Anecdotally, everyone I know who has been on a jury has taken their oath seriously and abided by the rules. Also reading interviews of jurors after trials shows the same thing. People are respectful of the process. This is the bedrock of the rule of law.

Does anyone think LVD or CD has had a mental evaluation while in jail? Jmo
I don’t think it happens as a matter of course. But their respective attorney’s could request one. (and pay for it) I can’t imagine that Lori or Chad would want to be evaluated.
Since IANAL I don’t know if the State can ask for an evaluation.

I am of the opinion that she knew those kids were going to be killed. They were dark, after all, and she believed in that rubbish too.
There is no way to know for sure and I guess I can be as fooled as the next person, but I've met her and I don't want to believe that. It's just my opinion of course but I found her to be quite likable at the time which was a few years ago. She was wrong when she lied, but she says she is trying to make up for that and make better decisions going forward. Her life is never going to be the same again. Once this trial is over, all of the key witnesses will be recognized in public. People will always be a bit suspicious of them, perhaps. I don't envy any of the people connected to Lori and Chad.
I can respect why Clair Louise has that opinion but personally, I do want to believe the best of MG even though I don't understand her earlier silence at all. I wish she had explained further about that during her interviews. Maybe we will get more information during the trial.

There is no way to know for sure and I guess I can be as fooled as the next person, but I've met her and I don't want to believe that. It's just my opinion of course but I found her to be quite likable at the time which was a few years ago. She was wrong when she lied, but she says she is trying to make up for that and make better decisions going forward. Her life is never going to be the same again. Once this trial is over, all of the key witnesses will be recognized in public. People will always be a bit suspicious of them, perhaps. I don't envy any of the people connected to Lori and Chad.
I can respect why Clair Louise has that opinion but personally, I do want to believe the best of MG even though I don't understand her earlier silence at all. I wish she had explained further about that during her interviews. Maybe we will get more information during the trial.
Agree. MOO waking up to realize she was friends with crazy people, and that she was being used to cover the disappearance of a child is really a nightmare. She pressed them hard in December 2019 and cooperated with police, has given interviews and risked being killed also.

Last edited:

Lori told other people (JJ's school and her neighbor) that JJ was with his grandmother. I think it was only when that excuse didn't work with police that she thew MG under the bus.

The timing of JJ's murder is intriguing. My guess is that they had other murders scheduled and couldn't wait until after the visit, but hiring a nanny for one time only could also indicate a change of plan.

MG probably knows more than we have been told. One would expect her to be questioned thoroughly so I doubt she could hide much from the FBI. It's surprising that we learned as much as we did from her even before her first court appearance.

If MG knew they would be killed, why did she and Lori discuss leaving JJ with Kay after he was declared a zombie? MG was told soon after that the handover actually took place. IMO Lori and Chad ultimately didn't trust MG with the truth about the kids. Lori claimed on the recorded call (and in an earlier call) with MG that JJ had to be moved for his safety.

I am not as trusting as you, especially when children are missing. The fact that she lied about the missing children says it all to me. Why would you do that?

I am not as trusting as you, especially when children are missing. The fact that she lied about the missing children says it all to me. Why would you do that?
LVD had hidden children before, was experienced presenting rationale for it, and remember her explanations to the police at around the same time sounded semi plausibe, that vindictive family members were trying to take the kids.

The kids weren't missing to MG because Lori knew where they were. The lie was about JJ only. I don't think MG knew that Tylee was gone as well. If MG suspected at the time that JJ was dead, there's no way that she'd tell the police that he was with her just a day earlier. She lied to cover for Chad and Lori's lies. She must have believed their story at first that JJ was in danger from Kay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member