Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped for focus (I inadvertently cut out the reference to “a WS” who had calculated the max time they could get.)

free&Edna .... nice to “see you”....you are right for those charges it’s 5 years and or $10,000.00 but with the other charges, in way back posts it listed the other charges against these two.

That WS was me. I think each count was 12 years max, plus 5 and fines. I still need to find my original work. It added up to a loooong time in the slammer, pretty close to the equivalent of life at their ages. Still have my fingers crossed they will be charged for and convicted of murder.

Last edited:
When Chad runs of money for his private attorney, is he entitled to a public defender if he owns property?

Why is Chad's address on the Notice of hearing listed as Springville, UT?

Is that his parents house? Technically he moved out of his Rexburg home when his daughter moved in, arrest or not. Jmo

Is that his parents house? Technically he moved out of his Rexburg home when his daughter moved in, arrest or not. Jmo
I don't think it's his parents' home. Although he's currently residing in jail, he could still keep his old Rexburg address. His other children used to live with him there for a while.

ETA: Maybe it's a mistake. He was certainly not served with the notice at the Utah address.

Last edited:
Also I’m sad the motion to dismiss hearing isn’t until 10/29/20. So far away for an impatient person.

I wonder what kind of beating LV and CD's belief system will take if that date arrives and the world has not ended... probably a strategic choice on the part of someone.

As for MG's personal inner alert system, I believe she's flat out said that her heart sank when it was confirmed for her that the children were not with Kay because Lori had previously lied to her and said they were; and now she's got two people in rapid succession, LVD and CD, both hectoring her by phone to lie and stage situations like the "take photos of random kids and just say you're at Frozen 2 together" (how does that work anyway? Don't you have to be outside the movie theater? The background of a playground, side street, or church parking lot isn't going to cover it. You could only possibly, potentially take a random blurry closeup picture in manner of pocket dialing and say "No, I didn't actually take any pictures; but oh here, look, now that I checked my phone I DID take a picture, by accident. See? Proof!")

Of course, since we've learned in the interim "what Janis thinks will work to convince people that she in fact talked to JJ", we can also figure out where Lori learned this nonsense firsthand, and thus, know that this also has the ring of truth; and that MG did not make it up either.

Last edited:
I think the prosecution has a very strong case for conspiracy to obstruct the investigation into the missing children, but not a very strong case for conspiracy to murder, since the role of AC is very unclear, and the suspects could definitely blame it on him, and say he had some hold on them, so they covered up for him. I think the doubt about his role, and his ghost-like presence entangled in everything that happened, could leave a lot of doubt about what really happened, in fair-minded jury members.

IDK for sure, but isn't it possible if prosecutors laid charges of conspiracy to murder the children, and lost the case, wouldn't that mean the whole thing gets thrown out, and CD and LV walk free? Whereas, if they confine to the conspiracy to seriously hinder the investigation of an extremely serious crime, it will be a slam dunk, and they'll definitely go to jail? Perhaps this has been already stated and I missed it.

As well, prosecutors may be hoping to nail CD on the death of Tammy, if only they can find the COD. He was alone with her, after all. Similarly, they might be able to purse LV in a separate case for abetting the murder of her husband, since the circumstances are better known, Alex's statement is available to be picked apart, etc.

However, there are other possibilities: getting one of them to confess would be ideal.

Snipped for focus (I inadvertently cut out the reference to “a WS” who had calculated the max time they could get.)

That WS was me. I think each count was 12 years max, plus 5 and fines. I still need to find my original work. It added up to a loooong time in the slammer, pretty close to the equivalent of life at their ages. Still have my fingers crossed they will be charged for and convicted of murder.

I hope you are correct that they are potentially facing long sentences if convicted of the current charges but, I wonder... How is it decided whether the terms would be consecutive or concurrent? Is that the judges decision? And, would either L or C receive credit for time served? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just not sure how the justice system works.

I think the prosecution has a very strong case for conspiracy to obstruct the investigation into the missing children, but not a very strong case for conspiracy to murder, since the role of AC is very unclear, and the suspects could definitely blame it on him, and say he had some hold on them, so they covered up for him. I think the doubt about his role, and his ghost-like presence entangled in everything that happened, could leave a lot of doubt about what really happened, in fair-minded jury members.
There has been no indication so far that Alex could have been the ringleader or an ideologue who had a hold over others. On the contrary, evidence and testimony show that he was Lori's "protector" and a follower of Chad's doctrine. He did not stand to profit from murdering the children. Even if he did kill the children on his own accord, Lori's (non)reaction to it and continuous deception make no sense, especially after Alex's death. Alex's role in the group and absence of a personal motive don't speak in favor of him acting alone. (IMO)

Hey Everyone,
I want to thank Mark Johnson and Abby Lyle of Visuallaw.com
They were our guests last night on Websleuths YouTube Live.
Not only did Mark and Abby give us access to the Daybell property pictures but they opened up a bunch of their case files for us to look at and go nuts over. LOL

CLICK HERE to listen/watch to the interview. Then click on the description of the episode and all the links to the pictures are provided in the description.

Thanks again,
Tricia

IDK for sure, but isn't it possible if prosecutors laid charges of conspiracy to murder the children, and lost the case, wouldn't that mean the whole thing gets thrown out, and CD and LV walk free? Whereas, if they confine to the conspiracy to seriously hinder the investigation of an extremely serious crime, it will be a slam dunk, and they'll definitely go to jail? Perhaps this has been already stated and I missed it.

As well, prosecutors may be hoping to nail CD on the death of Tammy, if only they can find the COD. He was alone with her, after all. Similarly, they might be able to purse LV in a separate case for abetting the murder of her husband, since the circumstances are better known, Alex's statement is available to be picked apart, etc.

However, there are other possibilities: getting one of them to confess would be ideal.

I think I see where you are coming from? Comparing MG trusting in Lori.. and then the defense flowing it into the same way that Lori could have stated that she trusted in AC.*cough* just like with the brother/sister, MG was sister/sister trusting?

But, all this continued after Alex was dead. So how does that work from the defense strategy? (although she never was "caught not sharing incorrect information" afterwards)

I hope you are correct that they are potentially facing long sentences if convicted of the current charges but, I wonder... How is it decided whether the terms would be consecutive or concurrent? Is that the judges decision? And, would either L or C receive credit for time served? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just not sure how the justice system works.

Many states have written rules to follow if whether consecutive or concurrent, and many are up to judges as IIRC this state has.

As to time served, IIRC yes, time served is always done in all cases. MOO Many defendants are more accepting of conditions in their jails vs. prisons.... so delay delay is good for them. (e.g. if you go to prison, your family and others have further to travel to visit you *cough cough*, after the trial you are no longer presumed innocent so have less perks etc)

Last edited:
If they are convicted of the crimes presently charged, they’ll be in prison for the rest of their miserable lives. It’s not the death penalty, but it’s no trip to Hawaii, either. We may have to settle for that, as horrible as that ma seem to those of us who want real justice for the Daybell’s’ victims.
How will it be the rest of their lives? Isn’t it only 10 years max? And that probably doesn’t include time served?

There has been no indication so far that Alex could have been the ringleader or an ideologue who had a hold over others. On the contrary, evidence and testimony show that he was Lori's "protector" and a follower of Chad's doctrine. He did not stand to profit from murdering the children. Even if he did kill the children on his own accord, Lori's (non)reaction to it and continuous deception make no sense, especially after Alex's death. Alex's role in the group and absence of a personal motive don't speak in favor of him acting alone. (IMO)
Yes, we're all convinced but in court it's "beyond a reasonable doubt".

And, most importantly, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, the actions: who did what, when, where and how. The motives, attitudes, relationships, are just supporting that concrete evidence, and don't really need to be proven.

The small forensic evidence police have, phone pings, show Alex's very suspicious movements. I certainly hope they have or find much more concrete forensic evidence than that, eg emails, text messages or something.

Also, AC being dead, IMO, very much complicates a trial because he can't be charged, nor can he defend himself, or get a fair trial.

I think I see where you are coming from? Comparing MG trusting in Lori.. and then the defense flowing it into the same way that Lori could have stated that she trusted in AC.*cough* just like with the brother/sister, MG was sister/sister trusting?

But, all this continued after Alex was dead. So how does that work from the defense strategy? (although she never was "caught not sharing incorrect information" afterwards)
To me, this has nothing to do with MG. IMO she is a very minor player. Her part came months after the actual murders.

Who killed those kids, how and when, which person actually snuffed out their lives, and can we prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Not speculation or imagination or jumping to conclusions based on emotions, but hard, undeniable evidence is what a murder trial would be about.

ETA: as an example, a precise cause of death and proof that the defendents possessed that particular type of murder weapon is very important to a conviction.

Last edited:

In Idaho during joinder causes Idaho Court Rule (ICR) 14 provides that if a defendant or the State is prejudiced by a joinder of offenses or defendants, the court may order the State to elect between counts, grant separate trials of counts, grant a severance of defendants, or provide whatever other relief justice requires. The provision for other relief authorizes the use of dual juries in an appropriate case. State v. Beam, 109 Idaho 616, 710 P.2d 526 (1985).

so this means its likely LV and CD will both be in the court at the same time and the prosecutor will present their case against each of them, but LV and CD will each have their own jury to decide their case. From a defense standpoint, it becomes harder for CD to claim "CD didn't know Alex and LV did this" and for LV to say "LV didnt know, Alex and CD did this". For us this is good because having the trials separately allowed for a risk they could blame each other in their own trials, but then both get off scott free (or with a lite sentence) but since they'll be tried together (assuming the motion is granted) the defense teams will have to work together and come up with a strategy that works or makes sense for both. And i find it unlikely either jury would believe Alex did this all on his own. Now there is a chance their attorneys could still blame the other party, but theyll have to do it in front of each other and at the risk that blaming the other person means sending their spouse to jail (granted I doubt either of them would give this morale conundrum a second thought). Joinder definitely makes getting a conviction easier for the prosecution, which is why im confused LV's attorney would file a motion supporting it

Yes, we're all convinced but in court it's "beyond a reasonable doubt".

And, most importantly, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, the actions: who did what, when, where and how. The motives, attitudes, relationships, are just supporting that concrete evidence, and don't really need to be proven.

The small forensic evidence police have, phone pings, show Alex's very suspicious movements. I certainly hope they have or find much more concrete forensic evidence than that, eg emails, text messages or something.

Also, AC being dead, IMO, very much complicates a trial because he can't be charged, nor can he defend himself, or get a fair trial.

I agree... proving that L and/or C had an actual hand in the murders could be very, very tough. I keep hoping additional forensic evidence on the duct tape, trash bags, boards, etc will help to prove guilt but... I'm worried/concerned.

ETA As soon as anyone mentions "jury" I start to worry, lol... it's just because of personal experience (and some other things).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member