Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom, arrested* #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the analysis. It answers some of my questions about her upbringing in CA. How strong would the church have been in CA back in the 70s/80s. Certainly not like Utah. AZ or ID, right?

Good question, I am not sure. California (in general), has always been more liberal.

If that influenced the Church back in the 80's I'm not sure. Maybe, someone here has better insight than we do. MOO

Indicolite22 posted on Thread #22, page 61, post 1204:
Melani's lawyer said after her court appearance (seen in Justin Lum's video) that the media should not be taking Charles' divorce statements that Lori claimed she was a god as fact. It looks like they are not only defending Melani, but Lori as well.

Neither of these lawyers are listed with Idaho Bar. Attorney Roster Search
Mr. Jarvis seems to specialize in criminal law, so it will be interesting how he pursues such a contentious family litigation.
Interesting tidbit here on Mr. Smith, Esq. : Garrett Smith | Mesa, AZ, Maricopa County Attorney

BBM

Freedom of Religion listed, hhhmmmm....

Any studies or articles about it that can be linked? If we post facts we need MSM or LE links.

Can I ask members (& perhaps mods) for a point of clarification here? It's not really about the specific issue referred to in the quote above, but just more generally.

To me the requirement to have a MSM or LE (or VI) link would seem to apply most directly to facts and assertions made about POI actions/background. It does not seem to make sense for more general issues of discussion.

For example, here are a few issues I've weighed in on over the past few days: the cultural reputation of Rexburg within the LDS community, LDS seminaries, and the difficulty of accessing the so-called "Zone of Death" through Yellowstone Park's main entrances/roads. I've asserted things to the best of my knowledge as facts, and I think the consensus of the board has generally agreed with me.

But my sources have been my own experience in LDS culture generally and the combination of a little personal familiarity with Yellowstone plus some Google searches for maps. They haven't been MSM or LE. In fact, I suspect, if we could only rely on MSM or LE for these types of issues, we'd still have no satisfactory answers to the questions that arose on these because MSM and LE probably never addressed those issues.

So my question is how broadly or narrowly should the MSM/LE sourcing requirement be construed? Thanks in advance to those who chime in.

Whoa...Jason Mow who did the preparing a people podcast a few posts up (thanks for posting! I don't know how to credit the person who did) with Lori and Chad and Melanie Gibb used to be a cop in PHX? Interesting considering how the Chandler police (mis)handled the Charles Vallow investigation. Insider influence? Jason Mow said he retired in 2017, but maybe he had friends?

Can I ask members (& perhaps mods) for a point of clarification here? It's not really about the specific issue referred to in the quote above, but just more generally.

To me the requirement to have a MSM or LE (or VI) link would seem to apply most directly to facts and assertions made about POI actions/background. It does not seem to make sense for more general issues of discussion.

For example, here are a few issues I've weighed in on over the past few days: the cultural reputation of Rexburg within the LDS community, LDS seminaries, and the difficulty of accessing the so-called "Zone of Death" through Yellowstone Park's main entrances/roads. I've asserted things to the best of my knowledge as facts, and I think the consensus of the board has generally agreed with me.

But my sources have been my own experience in LDS culture generally and the combination of a little personal familiarity with Yellowstone plus some Google searches for maps. They haven't been MSM or LE. In fact, I suspect, if we could only rely on MSM or LE for these types of issues, we'd still have no satisfactory answers to the questions that arose on these because MSM and LE probably never addressed those issues.

So my question is how broadly or narrowly should the MSM/LE sourcing requirement be construed? Thanks in advance to those who chime in.

Theres a big difference between stating something as fact vs opinion. If you state a fact, you need to back it up. Opinions need to be stated as that. Jmo

Whoa...Jason Mow who did the preparing a people podcast a few posts up (thanks for posting! I don't know how to credit the person who did) with Lori and Chad and Melanie Gibb used to be a cop in PHX? Interesting considering how the Chandler police (mis)handled the Charles Vallow investigation. Insider influence? Jason Mow said he retired in 2017, but maybe he had friends?
It's been mentioned... I believe that before he was a cop in Phoenix he was a cop in Chandler

He was a chandler police officer before phoenix. Medically retired in 2017

I do worry about his kids and OJ charges. They wouldn't know about things like that. MOO

Yeah. I get the impression that they don't think their dad would lead them astray. I'm a lot older than them and feel the same way about my dad, so I get their thinking. It would sure be awful if one of the kids went down for something because Chad was convinced it was okay or they'd never get caught since the end of the world is imminent.

I was under the impression they entered at the closest entrance from Rexburg which would be 90 so minutes north in Montana which is only different because it technically has 26 residents total in the YS park area but that’s slim pickings to make a pool on top of the judicial technicalities.
As for this being talked about previously, forgive me for not having been able to read every post on this site, i meant in the 1000’s of videos/articles about the case. I can’t find a single mention of the possibility of this being relevant. No need to be condescending.

@BigAl16 is an experienced member. I'm a new one and have learned to respect the seriousness of this discussion. For me, that means not posting anything until I have carefully reviewed the relevance to the entire group here. They/we are trying to contribute to the body of verifiable information on the disappearance of Tylee and JJ. I notice that @Gardener1850 posts carefully crafted comments that are really helpful and I bet it's because he/she weighs words and information carefully before posting. JMO we're not in a position to feel condescended to if we newbies don't approach this with the seriousness that experienced members do

I wasn't offended but I'm sorry you obviously are because I asked for a link based on TOS. Another poster has provided the links already. (TY @BigAl16 ) I just couldn't see why all religions should be accused of *advertiser censored* watching without any evidence.

ETA1 this is what your post said with no indication it was an opinion.

"A lot of religions view *advertiser censored* to the extreme to the point that it can be used as proof of being the cause of every problem in a person's life."

ETA2 I know how to Google thanks.
I know this has gone a little off topic, but I just wanted to point out that it is fairly obvious this was a communication/language issue between two posters, who hopefully now have seen where each was misinterpreted (by considering the bold portions above). One poster thought the other was claiming many religions WATCHED *advertiser censored*, when the poster clearly meant they REGARD it as an extremely damaging force. All because of the usage if the word VIEW which can be a synonym of either. I was pretty sure this was the case. :) Moo.

Is a student able to leave a public school campus to attend LDS Seminary?

It is amazing that this is currently allowed in government sponsored public schools. I grew up in South Louisiana in an all Catholic community. Our town continues to be comprised Catholics. We have 2 public elementary schools. When I attended in the early 60s, the schools would walk over to the Catholic Churches during lent to attend the way of the cross. We also had religion classes on morning a week. By the time I moved on to a Catholic school, the state department of education ended all religious services and religion classes.

To be clear, while this is coordinated with the school and they are released (so specifically not attending school by agreement) for the class period, they have things set up so that the school is specifically NOT teaching the religion classes. I *think* they probably manage to stay within the law, or at least no one cares enough to push it. It has a positive effect on school budgets and taxes since it means they don't have to have teachers for those kids during that time. (Obviously kids who can't afford to not have the actual school credits they could be earning that one period each year will need to not take the classes or have to make it up some other way.)

I've got plenty of serious complaints about the lack of seperation of church and state and how much this particular church runs things in state government in Utah, Idaho, and I suspect they have an oversized influence in a few other nearby states (AZ and NV, maybe). But the seminary program is kind of a non-issue in my mind.

Question regarding Lori's every morning "religious lessons". Is that what I call my morning devotions? Or is there more to it? Jmo

She was attending "early morning seminary". Which is considered an elective class as far as schools are concerned.

I attended in H.S. and can tell you what it was like back then.

It was typically around an hour, and was similar to what most religions would call "bible study".

Each year you would focus on one of the canonical scriptures the LDS church uses.
These include: The Bible (KJV), The Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, & the Pearl of Great Price.

If I recall correctly, the bible was taught over two years (old and new testament), The book of Mormon for one year, and D&C/Pearl of Great Price for one year.

We would study a section at a time, discuss it. Do fun activities, watch Church videos about the topics. Then have a test on it. These were not difficult tests, basically if you read the assignments you would easily pass the tests.

I can say this, it was one of the easiest classes I ever took. It was designed to give students an entry level understanding of the gospel.

I've talked to friends who attended Catholic school, they have a much better understanding of the Bible, the context and history of it as well.

Hopefully, that gives everyone a general idea of what Seminary was like back then. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor