Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom arrested* #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM

Great observations, thank you.

On the one point I snipped out, in an earlier thread I asked the same question about the rental car keys because I was picturing Lori going through CV's pockets as he lay on the ground dead or dying. I was pretty convinced by another Web Sleuther that CV would have had the car running because it is Phoenix in July and he either had JJ in the car or expected to put JJ in the car momentarily. It hit 114 degrees that day so even at 8am it would be too hot to leave a child in a car without the A/C on. MOO

Good point. Phoenix is much hotter than where I am in the Pacific Northwest.

So, CV leaves the car running and puts either the dog or JJ in the car first and then goes back inside to get the other one of the two. IMO, having already half-loaded the car, or at least having left it idling with the AC running, he's obviously planning on getting JJ off to school. Seems most unlikely CV - with no prior history of physical abuse or violence against others - would decide THAT is the time to enter an argument, much less a physical fight, inside Lori's home with her dangerous brother present while either the dog or JJ is sitting outside in a running car in the heat.

It does, however, seem like a ripe time for such an event on behalf of LV for AxC - who: (1) has a prior conviction relating to violence against one of Lori's estranged husbands, (2) cares so much about JJ that he neglects to mention JJ as a resident of the home when talking to police, and (3) likely knows all about the $1 million life insurance proceeds payout Lori would expect as an outcome from such an event.

RSBM

Other wild guesses about the investigation:

Did they test anyone for gunpowder residue? Nah.
Did they check the bat for fingerprints? Nah.
Did they check the gun for fingerprints? Nah.
Did they sample the blood in the sink to find out whose blood it was? Nah.
Did they bring AxC, LV, and TR into the house separately and have them walk detectives through what happened where and when? Nah.
Did they trace bullet trajectories? Nah.

Did LE on scene start cleaning up the blood before detectives showed up? Heck yeah.

MOO

Is it known that "Nah" is the answer to those questions?

Watching and listening to the body cam video/audio of the police interview of Alex as well as that of the officer walking through the home and speaking from time to time to other officers, my impression was that they were not buying the story Alex was telling or the manner in which he was telling it and they were not pleased with all that had already happened in terms of the scene getting away from them (LV and TR leaving in the middle of events leading to the shooting, AxC shooting rather than calling police, AxC taking his time calling and not administering CPR, LV attempting to interrupt the questioning of AxC, and the presence of a minor child at the scene - TR).

From what I observed on the video, it seems they quickly declared the scene a crime scene, taped it off, and were keeping others out. One officer mentioned that CIV or CIB (Criminal Investigations Bureau?) was on its way. One of the officers inside could see CV was gone and the EMT's administering CPR were not succeeding in attempts to revive him and declared, "Bag him" as though he'd been long gone. And more than one officer mentioned the multiple shots used to kill Charles. And the officers didn't seem to be mentioning the number of shots offhandedly, their manner seemed to imply it was "overkill." None of the officers seemed willing to simply take AxC's or LV's statement about who the victim was at face value; they were actively looking for independent verification (CV's ID and his wallet which likely contained it).

So, at least early signs were that they recognized there was something much more serious than they were being told and they were attempting to protect the scene, presumably to gather evidence from it.

Does anyone know how long the officers processed the scene before turning it back over to LV?

Last edited:
Justin Lum Fox 10 Phoenix

NEW DETAILS: Remember the $1M life insurance policy Charles Vallow had? We know he removed Lori Vallow as beneficiary. But in our exclusive report tonight, we reveal more from Charles’ proactive warnings. Learn the specific accusation he made against his wife months before his death.
"Justin Lum Fox 10 Phoenix If you think my report is strictly about Lori Vallow allegedly threatening to kill Charles Vallow, you are mistaken. There are details in what we are exposing that have never been shared publicly. So again, if you assume and say “that’s not NEW.” — unfollow please "

(His emoji's may not load ha ha)

"Justin Lum Fox 10 Phoenix Rebecca McCartney Great question. Not only will I post the aired story, I will provide the specific time it airs so that people can stream us online at fox10phoenix.com. I will also be posting the full documents later tonight."

There's something wrong with Tylee's police statement.

[Tylee] = [redacted] in report
[Charles] = [her stepdad] in report

First is this version:

[Tylee] said she kind of stuck the baseball bat out there and [Charles] grabbed it and tried to take it but she held onto the end. [Tylee] is motioning like she held the end with both hands and that he grabbed the other end with two hands. [Tylee] stated eventually she fell and he took it into his hands and held it like he was going to do something with it. I asked that, when she fell, he ended up with the bat and [Tylee] confirmed that. [Tylee] said she fell to the ground and then she saw [Charles] take a step back so she thinks her uncle grabbed him and took him back so he couldn't do anything. I confirmed that she saw her stepdad take a step back and she indicated yes, that he was really close and then went back. [Tylee] advised her mom told her to go with [JJ] and then she ran out the door.

Then it changes:

I asked her about when he grabbed the bat and asked her to tell me about that again. [Tylee] stated she kind of stuck it out, motioning with a two-handed hold. [Tylee] stated he said she would go to jail if she hit him with it and [Tylee] didn't really say anything. [Tylee] said she's holding it by the place where you hold it and he kind of took it and Tylee gets lunged forward and she lost her footing. [Tylee] indicated her mom said 'just let go' and [Tylee] said she kind of slipped and fell, kind of on her side, and after that her mom told her to go so she ran out the door. I asked [Tylee] if she saw, when she fell towards her side, did she see what he did with the bat. [Tylee] said no, that she wasn't really looking that direction because when she fell the door was more in her line of direction. [Tylee] said she didn't look back and I confirmed her stepdad was now in a different line of sight than what she was looking at. I asked about when she saw him take a step back and I asked that, she didn't actually see her uncle pull him back, but it seems like that's what happened. [Tylee] agreed and stated it didn't seem like he would have stepped back on his own and [Tylee] confirmed that made sense as to where her uncle was at the time, that her uncle was behind him . . .

It seems clear to me that Tylee was coached by Lori to say that Charles was acting in a threatening way with the bat. She didn't see anything except Alex standing behind Charles and Charles' feet step backwards after she fell.

I have an interesting question...how would this "self-defense" murder have gone down with Lori, Alex, Charles and Tylee if Tylee had not brought the bat out of her room that morning?

The statement reads "Tylee didn't plan to take it to do something, she took the bat to have something in her hands to feel safer."

With the false statement about Charles holding the bat like he's going to do something with it, I think all her statements about Charles need to be viewed with the same caution. We have to remember that Alex was there, according to Lori's narrative, for them to feel safer. Why take the bat? Also note the words "plan to", assuming those were the words Tylee used and not the officer's words. The sentence makes perfect sense without "plan to" and it shows (imo) what Tylee felt a need to deny. Why did Tylee think the officer might be thinking this was part of a plan? I think she is acutely aware of the need to bolster their story, that is just my opinion. The difficulty of this set-up going down the way it did if the bat hadn't been around, the standing and yelling in Tylee's bedroom doorway after Charles had already strapped JJ in the car, Lori having Charles' phone, the need to have Tylee outside to make sure JJ didn't come back in, the unlikelihood that Lori would have left any of this to chance - specifically having to get the bat into Charles' hands (without Lori telling Tylee to "just let go") to create the self-defense narrative, does make me wonder if there was sly suggestion, like Lori making a joke about it and making Tylee anxious, the evening before. The way this all played out just doesn't seem like chance.

link to Tylee's statement Justin Lum Fox 10 Phoenix
moo

I don't have any specific comments on the inconsistencies in the various testimonies, but I did want to point out that when a bunch of people are involved in a sudden and violent confrontation, it's normal for the accounts to be inconsistent and for them to be mistaken about what happened or what other people were doing. You just don't have time to see everything. It doesn't automatically mean that somebody is lying or that there's something nefarious going on.

That said, I think there are a lot more inconsistencies than would be explained by normal confusion and misperception. The question is, which ones are normal and which ones are lies.

What we have is a summary from the officer who interviewed them. Is it standard that this would have also been recorded like the other body cams we have seen? Or even by an audio recorder on the table (apparently I'm old, I don't know what else you'd use? A precinct smart phone?)?

If that's the case, I assume these recordings have been requested (by Justin Lum, etc.) but not released? Does anyone know what types of interview materials are typically generated, and when they might be released--only at trial? After the case has been closed?

Interestingly I see a murder trial preliminary hearing in Wisconsin (video available on Court TV channel) was held using Zoom, to cater for the courtroom closure. Let's hope they can use this for LV's up and coming court dates!

Interestingly I see a murder trial preliminary hearing in Wisconsin (video available on Court TV channel) was held using Zoom, to cater for the courtroom closure. Let's hope they can use this for LV's up and coming court dates!
Ain't technology grand? Depends if the court's IT staff - or lack of such... is up to the task. I did my first 5 person ZOOM a week ago... easy peasy.

Ain't technology grand? Depends if the court's IT staff - or lack of such... is up to the task. I did my first 5 person ZOOM a week ago... easy peasy.

What did use for a background? My wife zoomed and it was great looking at the various backgrounds people choose, and then her brother’s partner walks in during the conversation and she is partially cut in half. Good stuff. Moo

E-mails suggest Lori Vallow tried to lock ex-husband out of his life insurance account

93660132_1575773742585637_922591664176889856_o.jpg

94128071_1575773675918977_1643003519625592832_o.jpg

92549392_1575773682585643_1300009866613489664_o.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone else remember JJ’s nanny who spoke to police (and the media)? I recalled tonight how she mentioned about JJ’s medicine, Lori told her that she gives it before bed because it makes him very sleep. Lori also joked that if JJ was acting out and/or just being too rambunctious for her that she would give him the medicine much earlier to essentially force him to sleep. For some reason I remembered that tonight and just thought it was very interesting. Lori certainly was telling all sorts of lies to everyone, like Tylee attending BYU or that the nanny would work for them after they returned from Hawaii.

Does anyone else remember JJ’s nanny who spoke to police (and the media)? I recalled tonight how she mentioned about JJ’s medicine, Lori told her that she gives it before bed because it makes him very sleep. Lori also joked that if JJ was acting out and/or just being too rambunctious for her that she would give him the medicine much earlier to essentially force him to sleep. For some reason I remembered that tonight and just thought it was very interesting. Lori certainly was telling all sorts of lies to everyone, like Tylee attending BYU or that the nanny would work for them after they returned from Hawaii.
I don't think she was lying about JJ there. Lori's statements to the nanny indicated that Lori relied on JJ's medicine (Risperidone) to calm him down. She would not have wanted to be without. JJ disappeared five days later. There were 17 pills left in the bottle when the investigators found it. Lori would have run out soon. The prescription had not been filled since January. If she handed JJ over to someone, she knew they would need the medicine. Even if she forgot to give it to them, the amount that was left wouldn't suffice for long term hiding.

From the article at the link above:

"She told people that I’ve spoken with that Charles was gonna be dead any day," said Kay.

This was supposedly in February 2019. It looks like Charles could have been murdered much earlier and Lori would have been the beneficiary of his life insurance policy. Unbelievable how she tried to prevent him from changing it. Also, who goes around announcing their husband's imminent death?

Last edited:
Is it known that "Nah" is the answer to those questions?

Watching and listening to the body cam video/audio of the police interview of Alex as well as that of the officer walking through the home and speaking from time to time to other officers, my impression was that they were not buying the story Alex was telling or the manner in which he was telling it and they were not pleased with all that had already happened in terms of the scene getting away from them (LV and TR leaving in the middle of events leading to the shooting, AxC shooting rather than calling police, AxC taking his time calling and not administering CPR, LV attempting to interrupt the questioning of AxC, and the presence of a minor child at the scene - TR).

From what I observed on the video, it seems they quickly declared the scene a crime scene, taped it off, and were keeping others out. One officer mentioned that CIV or CIB (Criminal Investigations Bureau?) was on its way. One of the officers inside could see CV was gone and the EMT's administering CPR were not succeeding in attempts to revive him and declared, "Bag him" as though he'd been long gone. And more than one officer mentioned the multiple shots used to kill Charles. And the officers didn't seem to be mentioning the number of shots offhandedly, their manner seemed to imply it was "overkill." None of the officers seemed willing to simply take AxC's or LV's statement about who the victim was at face value; they were actively looking for independent verification (CV's ID and his wallet which likely contained it).

So, at least early signs were that they recognized there was something much more serious than they were being told and they were attempting to protect the scene, presumably to gather evidence from it.

Does anyone know how long the officers processed the scene before turning it back over to LV?

I did watch the video also, and your mention of CIB got me thinking about something that is bothering me. A woman arrives on seen and comes through the tape, the officer asks her about someone by name. She responds that she doesn't know if she's gonna "take it yet", she was given an address and wants to see and walks off. Did the address sound familiar to her? Was she with CIB? Who was she?

Well that's strange that he suspects Lori called his life insurance company and doesn't suspect it was a male pretending to be him. He would know if he'd given her permissions to make changes on his account, and in that case there would be no cause for complaint, so it doesn't seem like that's the case. Maybe he found out it was Alex and that's why he made the comment that if anything happened to him it would be Lori and Alex.

I think he trusted to the end that this wouldn't be the day they killed him because JJ was outside. I don't think he would have cared so much about getting his phone back otherwise.

moo

I don't think she was lying about JJ there. Lori's statements to the nanny indicated that Lori relied on JJ's medicine (Risperidone) to calm him down. She would not have wanted to be without. JJ disappeared five days later. There were 17 pills left in the bottle when the investigators found it. Lori would have run out soon. The prescription had not been filled since January. If she handed JJ over to someone, she knew they would need the medicine. Even if she forgot to give it to them, the amount that was left wouldn't suffice for long term hiding.

Actually, it appears Lori was not giving the medicine to him all YEAR if it hadn't been filled since Jan 2019 and he went missing in Sept 2019. Riisperdone is not a medication you take sporadically. It doesn't work that way.

Actually, it appears Lori was not giving the medicine to him all YEAR if it hadn't been filled since Jan 2019 and he went missing in Sept 2019. Riisperdone is not a medication you take sporadically. It doesn't work that way.
How long would a prescription last? I doubt she would withhold treatment that made HER life easier. When she left him with Charles she took the medicine with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead