ID ID - Lewiston Civic Theater Murders / 5 Related Cases

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Still why did he try to break into those 2 girls apartment the night he killed them?
Its hard to say(If indeed he did)
He might have been looking for souvineers or maybe petty cash or just the sick thrill of breathing in the personal atmosphere of someone he just killed.
Keep in mind that if investigators theories are correct(and I think they are) He didnt get to finish doing his thing.
Who knows what kind of sick scenario he had in mind for Brandy and Kristina...he had plenty of time to play with Kristen David before he killed her and dumped her dismembered body in the Snake River.
He may have had something similar or worse in mind for them.
(You can see the path of escalation he was on:'Whats more challenging then a 12 year old girl? A college age girl! What coud beat that? Two College age girls at once!' He was definitly cranking up his act.)
He in all likelyhood was interupted by the unexpected arrival of Steven Pearsal at the Theater...after that it was all damage control.
The two girls wouldnt have immediatly have been connected to the Theater.But Pearsal sure the hell would be.
He had to get the bodies as far away from him as possible and prepare for the inevitable questions as the only person everyone knew was there at the Theater that night.
He would have a day.Perhaps two.
He had to face the possibilty:he might get caught.
Perhaps breaking into the apartment and stealing lingerie or photos or whatever was his sick way of retrieving something from his botched escapade.

But didn't one article say his hand was bleeding and it was a result of him being hit with a golf club after he tried to break into the girls' place or the place next to them

But didn't one article say his hand was bleeding and it was a result of him being hit with a golf club after he tried to break into the girls' place or the place next to them
yeah,and when detectives first interviewed him he had an injury to his hand.
He claimed he hurt it working on the set at the theater.

It boggles my mind how LE dropped the ball on this case. They should be looked into for negligence

There was no DNA comparison in those days, then to re process evidence they had to have had non degraded samples....I think they have a tough road myself, but I will bring myself up to speed on the case.

Circumstantial cases are very expensive to prosecute, so unless they have direct evidence against the person who is considered the POI on this thread, I have to wonder what they have been running down and processing behind the scenes.

I've done a little reading up on this. For such a small town, there have been a lot of "disappearances". From what can tell LE does not seem to believe any of the others are conected to the Prime Suspect. In 1986-87 there was a serial killer operating in the Spokane-Coeur d'Alene area. My understanding is that there is no serious suspect. Makes you wonder what our guy was up to during that period. Lewiston was less than 100 miles away.

The bodies of Brandi and Kristinawere found about 50 miles North-East of Lewiston in an area called Big Bear Ridge. Like much of the Idaho-Washington border area, the country is an unusal mix of steep canyons and flat Mesas given to wheat fields. The canyon bottoms tend to be pretty developed as that is where the rivers drain and the farmland offers little cover for hiding a body but there are many places where the roads follow the sides of the canyons and a body could dropped down the sides into brush aand trees. That is the type of dump site the women's bodies were found at and it would likely be a similar area that Pearsal's body was hidden at. There are so many places that would work and the rough terrain would make it hard to search. Still, finding Pearsal is vital to any prosecution of this case.

I still haven't found any evidence that the Prime Suspect was involved in finding Kristen's body but he is linked to the case by the fact that they knew each other from the Civic and a witness saw someone in a truck like the one he drove stopped by a girl on a bike the day she disappeared. I also haven't found any information on this "break-in" at the girl's Apt. Did that really happen?

I've done a little reading up on this. For such a small town, there have been a lot of "disappearances". From what can tell LE does not seem to believe any of the others are conected to the Prime Suspect. In 1986-87 there was a serial killer operating in the Spokane-Coeur d'Alene area. My understanding is that there is no serious suspect. Makes you wonder what our guy was up to during that period. Lewiston was less than 100 miles away.

The bodies of Brandi and Kristinawere found about 50 miles North-East of Lewiston in an area called Big Bear Ridge. Like much of the Idaho-Washington border area, the country is an unusal mix of steep canyons and flat Mesas given to wheat fields. The canyon bottoms tend to be pretty developed as that is where the rivers drain and the farmland offers little cover for hiding a body but there are many places where the roads follow the sides of the canyons and a body could dropped down the sides into brush aand trees. That is the type of dump site the women's bodies were found at and it would likely be a similar area that Pearsal's body was hidden at. There are so many places that would work and the rough terrain would make it hard to search. Still, finding Pearsal is vital to any prosecution of this case.

I still haven't found any evidence that the Prime Suspect was involved in finding Kristen's body but he is linked to the case by the fact that they knew each other from the Civic and a witness saw someone in a truck like the one he drove stopped by a girl on a bike the day she disappeared. I also haven't found any information on this "break-in" at the girl's Apt. Did that really happen?
Yeah it would be nice if his presence at the discovery of Kristen David's body could be confirmed...I heard about it as it was in an email sent to another person who has been pursuing this case for decades.
What gives it weight for me is the person who wrote the email placing him there is one of his biggest supporters and most steadfast in proclaiming the POI's innocence.
As far as his involvment in other murders frankly I would be surprised if he wasnt.
And yes this area has an inordinant amount of unsolved murders and disappearences.Though Im sure our POI isnt responsible for all of them of course....that trend has continued since he left the area.
Yes all of those gullies that run down into the valley from the prairie are narrow deep and choked with sage and brush and there are hundreds of them.
And lets not forget you dont have to go too far east and you can add timber to the equation.
I remember when we were crawling around that canyon by Kendrick where the two girls were found looking for any sign of Pearsal it wasnt a matter of looking for a good place to conceal a body it was 'Which of the 8 million good places I can see at a casual glance should we start at?'
And that is one relatively small area.

You know I remember around this same time period there were some strange murders in Pocatello Idaho. Late 70s early 80s. Several people dumped in the same area. Let me see what I can find.

Here they are. Really strange. http://missing87975.yuku.com/topic/3758#.TtSdomFmNtI Abduction cases not glowing moment for local law enforcement
August 16, 2006
Idaho State Journal Editorial

Between 1978 and 1983, four girls were abducted in Pocatello in three separate incidents. It's believed they were all murdered, though the remains of one of the girls was never positively identified. No one was ever charged in the cases. Local authorities were little prepared to deal with the incidents. In the case of 14-year-old Linda Smith, who was abducted from her home in 1981, police did not initially believe her younger brother's statements that a man had entered their home and kidnapped her. Smith's body was found the following year on Pocatello's east bench.

Also troubling is that law enforcement never revealed the existence of a fifth victim, a black teen-age girl; until questioned by the Journal for a recent story on the abductions. The black girl's skeletal remains were found in 1981 along with the remains of Tina Anderson, age 12.

Anderson and Patricia Campbell, age 15, were abducted from Alameda Park in 1978. Remains authorities believe to be those of Campbell were also found in the Oneida County gorge where the skeletons of Anderson and the black girl were located. Anderson was identified via dental records.
Authorities said DNA testing was the only way they could identify the remains believed to be Campbell, but they wanted her family to foot the bill.

As for the black girl, no one seemed to care much about her identity. Making local law enforcement appear even worse is that until earlier this month, no one even knew where the remains of the black girl and those thought to be Campbell were located. They ended up being found in the evidence storage area of the Oneida County Sheriffs Office. As more time has passed in these cases, hope of them ever being solved has all but ceased.

Campbell's family has hoped that her remains could be positively identified using DNA while her mother, Jeanette, now 68 and suffering from Parkinsons disease, is still alive. The abductions occurred well before Jeff Semradâ's tenure as Oneida County sheriff. He was elected in 1998. But Semrada's decided to help the Campbells achieve closure with the help of a university lab in Texas. The facility has agreed to do the DNA testing free of charge. The lab will not only figure out if the remains found in the gorge are those of Campbell, it will also match up the black girl's DNA with a missing persons database in an effort to identify her. And, the lab's going to double-check the remains already identified as belonging to Anderson to make sure that is the case.

For the Campbells, Semradâs help will go a long way toward restoring their faith in law enforcement. The family says that faith was shattered when Pocatello police said they could not begin searching for Campbell for 72 hours after she was reported missing because, after all, the girl could have run away. Hopefully, the Pocatello area will never experience another child abduction again. If one does occur, we hope our law enforcement community has learned something from the past.

Semrada said he's going to hold a meeting with the Anderson and Campbell families to update them on the case. He's also going to organize a gathering of all the involved law enforcement agencies to share evidence and make sure everyone's on the same page. Such moves are too late for Smith, Anderson, Campbell or Cindy Bringhurst, a 14-year-old who disappeared from a baby sitting job in 1983. Her body was found about a month later in Mink Creek. But better-prepared law enforcers will certainly make a difference in the future.

Published in the Idaho State Journal

Here they are. Really strange. http://missing87975.yuku.com/topic/3758#.TtSdomFmNtI Abduction cases not glowing moment for local law enforcement
August 16, 2006
Idaho State Journal Editorial

Between 1978 and 1983, four girls were abducted in Pocatello in three separate incidents. It's believed they were all murdered, though the remains of one of the girls was never positively identified. No one was ever charged in the cases. Local authorities were little prepared to deal with the incidents. In the case of 14-year-old Linda Smith, who was abducted from her home in 1981, police did not initially believe her younger brother's statements that a man had entered their home and kidnapped her. Smith's body was found the following year on Pocatello's east bench.

Also troubling is that law enforcement never revealed the existence of a fifth victim, a black teen-age girl; until questioned by the Journal for a recent story on the abductions. The black girl's skeletal remains were found in 1981 along with the remains of Tina Anderson, age 12.

Anderson and Patricia Campbell, age 15, were abducted from Alameda Park in 1978. Remains authorities believe to be those of Campbell were also found in the Oneida County gorge where the skeletons of Anderson and the black girl were located. Anderson was identified via dental records.
Authorities said DNA testing was the only way they could identify the remains believed to be Campbell, but they wanted her family to foot the bill.

As for the black girl, no one seemed to care much about her identity. Making local law enforcement appear even worse is that until earlier this month, no one even knew where the remains of the black girl and those thought to be Campbell were located. They ended up being found in the evidence storage area of the Oneida County Sheriffs Office. As more time has passed in these cases, hope of them ever being solved has all but ceased.

Campbell's family has hoped that her remains could be positively identified using DNA while her mother, Jeanette, now 68 and suffering from Parkinsons disease, is still alive. The abductions occurred well before Jeff Semradâ's tenure as Oneida County sheriff. He was elected in 1998. But Semrada's decided to help the Campbells achieve closure with the help of a university lab in Texas. The facility has agreed to do the DNA testing free of charge. The lab will not only figure out if the remains found in the gorge are those of Campbell, it will also match up the black girl's DNA with a missing persons database in an effort to identify her. And, the lab's going to double-check the remains already identified as belonging to Anderson to make sure that is the case.

For the Campbells, Semradâs help will go a long way toward restoring their faith in law enforcement. The family says that faith was shattered when Pocatello police said they could not begin searching for Campbell for 72 hours after she was reported missing because, after all, the girl could have run away. Hopefully, the Pocatello area will never experience another child abduction again. If one does occur, we hope our law enforcement community has learned something from the past.

Semrada said he's going to hold a meeting with the Anderson and Campbell families to update them on the case. He's also going to organize a gathering of all the involved law enforcement agencies to share evidence and make sure everyone's on the same page. Such moves are too late for Smith, Anderson, Campbell or Cindy Bringhurst, a 14-year-old who disappeared from a baby sitting job in 1983. Her body was found about a month later in Mink Creek. But better-prepared law enforcers will certainly make a difference in the future.

Published in the Idaho State Journal
Thanks Dr.!
Ive never heard of this case.Facinating.
Its obvious that LE down there werent any better prepared to deal with the depredations of Serial Killer then their counterparts up here during the late 70's and early 80's.
Compounding the problem here was that you have multiple jurisdictions in a relatively small area.Lewiston and Clarkston may be only seprated by a bridge but they are in different States Idaho and Washington and Asotin is south of Clarkston but apparently at that time they didnt communicate anymore then Clarkston and Lewiston.
Remains of two of the victims were dumped in Kendrick(Yet another jurisdiction.)
Also there was a severe case of Linkage blindness that prevailed for decades.
In this case as well reportedly some of the physical evidence wasnt as well looked after as it should have been.
It should be noted though that some present day investigators have tried very hard to rectify the shortsightedness of some of their predecors in this case.
Hopefully that is true in the Oneida County cases as well.

I hadn't heard of these Lewiston cases until reading the thread today.

I don't have much to offer, just that it does seem a large number of cases for a small town.

Reading the other case, Pocatello is noted for being the location of a Ted Bundy murder, also.

That Pocatello mess is insane and deserves its' own thread. If I were the grieving families I would have sued the mess out of that police department. And the cops didn't take the little boy sister when he said that a strange man walked into his home and took his sister-what did they think, he was telling a fairy story?
What the hell was wrong with those cops? Why weren't they on their damn jobs?
And what gets me is that there was a prevailing trend in the 70s and early 80s to label all missing teens as runaways-why was that-were there that many runaways?
Also, that perp most likely knew what he was doing by dumping those bodies in different jurisdictions.
Did the cops even try to sit down with the little boy to do a sketch of the abductor?

Wow, I live in North Idaho and have never heard of these cases until I happened across
this thread today, It is shocking that everybody seems to know who commited these
murders and yet LE had to just let him walk away free and clear. I wonder what the
chances are that he's never committed another crime in all the years since then?

I am starting to wonder if the last thing police want to do is say there is a serial killer in a college town?

I have set up a Thread for the Pocatello cases (which are very interesting and might yet be solved.) Unlike the Civic Theater case, the name of the Prime Suspepect has not been leaked.

Yeah you dont have to look at too many of these cases from the 70's and 80's to see that dismisising these victims as runaways was common coping mechanism for Law enforcement.
In Houston nearly 30 young men disappeared from one neighborhood over a three year period and it wasnt until one of the perpretators confessed and authorities were digging up bodies did they re-think the situation.
As far as being unwilling to follow through or connect the dots you have professional rivalries between certain officers and departments and agencies and when each has a piece of the puzzle and arent talking...
And sometimes its just being unwilling to stick your neck out when you dont have an open and shut case.
Noone wants tbe accused of wasting money bringing a suspect to trial and being left with egg on your face and seeing the suspect then file lawsuit affter lawsuit against the department or the city.
In the Lewiston case the POI even submitted DNA to the Green River and Spokane Serial killer task forces(who of course were very interested in him) through his lawyer with the condition the sample be destroyed afterwards and could not be used by authorities in the five cases he was under suspicion for.And he got away with it.
Apparently the D.A. was adament there would be no indictment as long as Pearsal was un accounted for and what with Authorities and the local media keeping a lid on his name he was free to go about his life continue to be involved in Theater productions and hang out with regular people like me who had absolutely no clue who they were giving entree to their lives.
For over twenty years.
I wish my friend Crecentcrow would write a book about what it feels like to have a member of your family murdered and then face such mind numbing indifference from the powers that be. For decades.

Kline excuse me? V got away with this BS? I am starting to wonder if he is well connected or if his wife is. I smell a huge effing rat!
Kline, I have a link to GREAT piece on that Texas case if you are interested.
Kemo, thanks for that thread. Will peep it!

The overall national crime rate has dropped significantly in the last 20 years but the phenomenon of the serial killer who preyed on "non high-risks" girls was unique to the 1970's and 80's and has faded away. Today, if a girl or young woman disappears "under suspicious circumstances", it becomes a National news story and seemingly unlimited resources are directed at the case. Similar cases, thirty years ago would have been written off as "another runaway".

This situation hit home for me when I was reading news accounts of the Texas "killing fields" murders. Laura Miller, the daughter Tim Miller (of Equusearch) was found a mile from her home; and obvious victim of a serial killer, yet most accounts referred to her as a "Texas Runaway". She was on a list of runaways and no one had bothered to "de-list" her.

Even today, there is a disparity in how a "missing white girl" is dealt with and anyone else who doesn't "fit the profile". Missing women and girls who are minority, lower social class, have "questionable" lifestyles or are otherwise not highly valued are generally given little attention or law enforcement efforts. Boys only seem worthy of serious attention if they are pre-adolescent; under 12 or so.

Still, the incidents of these sorts of crimes are way down. The publicity surrounding some of the high profile cases probably is a big factor along with improved forensic tools and a national data basis. There is probably less "running away" although I haven't found a statistics to back that up.

I think this is due in part to the fact as well, that even a 5 year old can tell you what a serial killer is

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back