Found Deceased ID - Zeke Best, 10-months, abducted by homicide suspect bio father Jeremy Best 41, Victor, 30 Nov 2023 *father arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Idaho does not have an insanity plea. And personally, I would find it difficult to give a family annihilator a pass.

James Holmes, Colorado Movie Shooter, was found "sane" to have a trial.

I always find people who appear to be insane, quite interesting, as in the case of Brian David Mitchell, he was definitely not clinically insane, he just manipulated people to believe that he was.

Which of course, leads to the question of "sanity" and someone who kills a ten month old baby. Which, normal people can't even wrap their heads around, no one "sane" would deliberately kill a baby.

I have no doubt that this perpetrator will manipulate the legal system for years. Too bad there isn't a way to fast track perpetrators like this.

This is an inaccurate interpretation of mental health laws.

The 72-hour hold is AFTER involuntary commitment.

Here's how it actually works:
Person is deemed to be in a mental health crisis. Paperwork is usually filled out by either a physician, a mental health professional (social workers, for example), or law enforcement. They are then taken to an emergency room by law enforcement to receive a psychiatric evaluation. I am not aware of any state that allows a 72-hour hold prior to this evaluation being completed. Generally, it has to be done as soon as possible and the absolute max is 24 hours if the person is there against their will. Once that evaluation is done, the person doing the evaluation has to determine if the individual meets very specific criteria to be committed against their will. THIS is the 72-hour hold. If the person is committed to a psychiatric facility, then they board in the ER until a bed opens up and then they're transferred to a psych ward (which is locked). At the 72-hour mark on the psych ward, the treating physician must either discharge the patient or file for a formal court hearing to get a judge's order to keep the patient longer.

The caveat to all of the above is if the patient voluntarily commits him/herself or wants to be admitted.

IMO, it sounds like JB didn't meet criteria for involuntary commitment, which results in same day discharge.
Thanks for the clarification on the laws. My thoughts are…

1) mental health laws need to change
2) he should have been arrested and taken to jail for public nudity - he likely would have had to stay much longer than they kept him at the hospital

either way he should not have simply been released and sent home to his family in that condition and being naked in a store should have been a pretty good indication that intervention was needed here

2) he should have been arrested and taken to jail for public nudity - he likely would have had to stay much longer than they kept him at the hospital

either way he should not have simply been released and sent home to his family in that condition and being naked in a store should have been a pretty good indication that intervention was needed here
When Best was taken to the hospital for a mental health check was Kali advised since she was his NOK? What did she have to say about it? Did she have any concerns about him being released and coming home? There must have been stuff that led up to that day with him.

I agree about taken in by police. But being naked in a store is not a sign of dangerousness from a mental health standpoint. Hindsight is 20/20.

‘They Shared a Soul’: Family Opens Up About Slain Idaho Woman and Baby Found Dead Alongside Suspect Husband

The mountains called to her — and she lived her life to the fullest in the open fields of Idaho, says the family of Kali Jean Randall, the 38-year-old mother who was allegedly murdered by her husband last week.

“She was someone with a wanderlust spirit," Meg Fischer, Randall’s cousin, tells PEOPLE, "and that's why she came here to make this her home.
[snip]
“[Zeke] was just a perfect match for Kali,” Fischer says. “It was like they shared a soul. They were just at their very core so, so similar, and just so sweet.”
[snip]
“[He was] so gentle,” says Brian. “Besides looking like his mom, they were two peas in a pod.”
[snip]
“Her life before [the killing] — she lived fully,” she says. “The fact that so many people remember her with such fun and joy speaks to what she contributed to this earth.”

I agree about the arrest. And that’s likely a local decision/community practice. Mentally ill people who break the law are arrested and taken into custody all the time. AFAIK, there’s no law against arresting them in Idaho. It’s perceived as “not compassionate,” but really, a psychiatrist at a jail does the same thing as a psychiatrist at a locked ward - they just might get MORE time to treat the mentally ill patient at a jail.

He did break a law.

However, we do not know what he told ER personnel about his name and family. Did he even have ID? No one is required to give next of kin at an ER. To me, I’m thinking that Best was probably also incoherent or at least uncooperative (hence the police were called).

IMO

VICTOR – The Victor community came together Thursday night to grieve during a candlelight vigil in memory of Kali Randall, her unborn baby and 10-month-old Zeke Best.

Karlin Bilcher, a pastor at Church in the Tetons, remembered Kali’s smile and love for the outdoors, saying she was always the first in line on a snowy day at Grand Targhee Ski Resort.

“I knew her laugh, I knew her smile, I knew her strength,” said Bilcher. “I knew her beauty from the inside and the outside.”

Bilcher says Zeke was a beautiful baby known for his chubby red cheeks.

“There are no words to describe that beautiful bundle of chubby red-cheeked joy,” said Bilcher.

Bilcher told the audience that he officiated the wedding of Kali and Jeremy last year, and is struggling from the experience and tragedy of Kali and Zeke’s death, along with her unborn baby.

The more I read about Kali and how others experienced her the sadder I become. She sounds like someone I would have been drawn to. A soul sister. I felt that. Such a needless loss of someone who clearly had a positive effect on so many. :confused:

A Christmas card photo is shown in this article of the family ,taken a couple of days before Kali ,Zeke and unborn baby were taken too soon.

The article also says that people close to the family saw no warning signs. The Christmas photo, taken not long before, shows a happy family.

:(

The more I read about Kali and how others experienced her the sadder I become. She sounds like someone I would have been drawn to. A soul sister. I felt that. Such a needless loss of someone who clearly had a positive effect on so many. :confused:
I felt the same after reading her Facebook & Instagram. For those who may not have had the opportunity to see the shining beauty of Kali Randall.

The article also says that people close to the family saw no warning signs. The Christmas photo, taken not long before, shows a happy family.

:(
As a mental health professional, this is one of the ugliest truths about mental health care- sometimes, there are no "warning signs" before a breakdown. Just like with physical health, in how we can usually have signs of declining health, but there are stories of people having heart issues but not knowing until they suddenly drop dead at 22, despite seeming healthy.

As a mental health professional, this is one of the ugliest truths about mental health care- sometimes, there are no "warning signs" before a breakdown. Just like with physical health, in how we can usually have signs of declining health, but there are stories of people having heart issues but not knowing until they suddenly drop dead at 22, despite seeming healthy.

Atypical onset psychosis is a research interest of mine. Plus, with some mental illnesses, there are long periods of remission.

I think this is either an atypical, sudden onset psychosis OR it's related to drug use. Here's an article on a new form of psychosis that's unpredictable.

Here's a quote from that article:

This report aims to illustrate the possibility of an acute onset of psychosis after COVID-19 infection in a patient without previous history of psychiatric disorders and to highlight the need for early screening and intervention in such cases.

Most of my work has been in psychiatric wards of jails and in inpatient units of various kinds. I haven't been doing fieldwork since COVID, so I'm just following it through others' research. I think it's very hard to know when to do "early screening" and in this case, it seems that Mr Best was behaving normally right up until a few days (maybe even 1-2 days) before the murders.

It seems to me from his mug shot, that this was not brief - not a reactive psychosis - but was ongoing. IMO. It just makes no sense to me, in either case - unless we posit some form of psychosis.

IMO

I know from personal experience that it may seem there were no warning signs that a psychotic break was imminent. It’s also possible that those who know JB intimately may reflect on their memories and find a few signs that were missed — things they couldn’t have possibly recognized as a warning sign without the benefit of hindsight.

When I was a senior in high school, I came home from school one day to find my dear sweet mother a complete mess. She was frantically pulling out papers from all sorts of random hidden places and tearing them up into little pieces. When I asked what was wrong, all she would say was, “I don’t know, Jennifer, but something is very, very wrong.” She said it over and over and over again. I was like what does that mean?? Is it Granny? Did something happen to dad? And she just kept saying I don’t know, I don’t know. My dad was coaching a junior high school basketball team at the time, and they had a game that night. I tried to leave to go find out what my dad knew, but she panicked and wouldn’t let me leave the house. (This was 1999 and before everyone had cell phones.) I screamed and cried and begged my mom to tell me what was going on. In my mind, I thought something terrible had happened to somebody in our family and she just couldn’t bring herself to tell me. It was an excruciatingly long afternoon waiting for my dad to get home that day because she was acting like a total lunatic, and I hadn’t the slightest idea why. At some point, I got a phone call from a college recruiter. She became so paranoid while I was listening to the man give his spiel that she yanked the phone out of my hand and hung up on him. I didn’t know who this bodysnatcher was inhabiting my mother’s body, but this was NOT my passive, easygoing mom.

When my dad finally came home, he convinced her to go to the hospital—where she stayed for the next 2-3 weeks. She was 51 years old when she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and experienced her first manic episode. It’s extremely rare for the onset of bipolar to occur at that age. It never once occurred to me that day that she might have a mental illness. But after I did some research about bipolar disorder and learned the symptoms of mania and hypomania, I came to realize that my mom had been gradually building up to that break for a long while. They were mostly simple, small things that would mean absolutely nothing to anyone who didn’t really know my mother. Like she randomly agreed to buy me a car one day, out of the blue — and without consulting my dad first — when we had never even talked about me getting a car before and she’s the most frugal person I’ve ever known. She also bought me $300 worth of clothes that same day. At the time, I just thought I was having a really lucky day. I now know that shopping sprees and frivolous spending are hallmarks of manic behavior. There were other small things that were uncharacteristic of my mother that went unnoticed until she was diagnosed. But in hindsight, there were a lot of aha moments that made a lot more sense.

It’s incredibly hard to explain. But when someone you love and know better than you know yourself starts to behave in uncharacteristic ways, the last thing you suspect is mental illness. Especially when that person has no history of mental illness. It’s almost unfathomable. Thankfully, the most violent thing my mom has ever done is dump a cup of coke on my dad’s head.

All that is to say… I think it’s difficult to know what happened here. His mental state may have appeared out of nowhere or there may have been warning signs that went unnoticed to the fault of no one. He might have an undiagnosed mental illness or even a brain tumor. Or he might have been experiencing a drug induced psychosis. We just don’t know and the public may never know.

Regardless of the reason for his current mental state, I personally believe he is going to be devastated once he realizes what he’s done to this precious family.

“So let’s grieve together,” Evans said. “And let’s give one another the space to be shocked, to be pissed, to appeal to God, to be angry with God, to find peace in God, to question God, to want to take action, to want to wait, to blame, to pray, to be afraid, to be speechless, to vent, to lament, to speak up, to be silent, to pull our families close to us, to need some time alone. Let’s not tell each other how to grieve. Let’s just grieve.”
Victor community holds vigil Thursday evening for Kali and Zeke Best

29608585.jpeg

Idaho community remembers mother, her unborn baby and Zeke Best during candlelight vigil

Dec 14

VICTOR – A man charged with the murder of his wife and her unborn child will no longer appear in court Monday. He’s also been placed on a conservatorship.

According to a release from Teton County Prosecutor Bailey Smith, Best’s preliminary hearing has been vacated “by order of the court, and proceedings in this case are suspended until a capacity determination is made pursuant to Idaho Code 18-210.”

Smith tells EastIdahonews.com that the mental health competency evaluation ordered for Best by the court has not yet been completed, so the hearing had to be vacated.

Newly filed court documents also state that Best’s examination has not yet been completed, citing “extraordinary circumstances” pursuant to Rule 5.1 of the Idaho Criminal Rules. Rule 5.1 states that every defendant charged in a complaint with any felony is entitled to a preliminary hearing, unless indicted by a grand jury.

On Wednesday, documents were filed showing that a woman named Patricia Best petitioned to have Jeremy placed on a conservatorship due to him being “incapacitated.”

According to Best’s attorney, Jim Archibald, the conservatorship is to make sure someone is watching over Best’s property while he is incarcerated.

“Someone from Jeremy or Kali’s family needs to watch over and protect the property while the case is pending,” says Archibald. “All of the family is out of state. Neighbors and local friends are watching over it now.”

<modsnip - quoted post was removed> My late grandmother developed psychosis after a stroke. She wasn't violent, but she wasn't rational at all after that. The beliefs she held and things she said were very strange.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asazel