IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinion | Jussie Smollett and a Perfect Crime (NY Times)

SBM

If you are inclined to believe that America — especially in the age of ****** ***** — is plagued by racism and homophobia, none of these extremely fishy details seemed to register. Indeed, many politicians and journalists seemed to suspend all critical thought in a campaign to indict not just Mr. Smollett’s attackers but the country as a whole.

SBM

This case is an object lesson in what happens when people in positions of political and cultural authority abandon critical thinking and pressure those who don’t abandon their circumspection under pain of being smeared as bigots. It also exemplifies the tendency of those arbiters to amplify “perfect crimes” that advance their political agenda — and to ignore crimes that don’t.

Consider some of the “hate crimes” that have garnered tremendous attention in the past two years.

A week before the 2016 presidential vote, a historic black church in Mississippi was spray-painted with pro-***** graffiti and set ablaze, prompting a national spasm of anxiety amid the prospect that the bad old days were back. The Republican Party was hounded for comment on the episode, and reporters attributed the event to the “tense” state of “American politics.” The person charged in this crime was, however, a parishioner, and an official said the arson was designed to appear “politically motivated,” but was not.

Shortly after *****’s election, a woman in Ann Arbor, Mich., insisted that she was approached by a white man who threatened to set her on fire if she did not remove her hijab. A Michigan lawmaker tied the case to the president-elect, who he said empowered “devastating racism, sexism and xenophobia.” But the police came to the conclusion that the whole thing was a hoax.

A week after the election, an Episcopal church in Indiana gained national attention when it was painted with homophobic slurs, swastikas and pro-***** language. The self-identified gay man who later confessed to the crime was the church’s organist. Investigators said he hoped to “mobilize a movement after being disappointed” by the election results.

A few weeks later, an 18-year-old Muslim woman alleged that a group of the president’s supporters attacked her at a New York City subway station and tried to rip her hijab off her head. New Yorkers rallied to her defense. Anti-racist demonstrations in Grand Central Station were organized, and significant police resources were devoted to investigating the case. She was later charged with misleading investigators.

All of these events occasioned deep dives by the press into the forces of racial animus Mr. ***** unleashed during his campaign. But there was no chastened soul-searching when the deceptions were exposed. And few entertain the possibility that the attention these allegations generate has created an incentive structure for prospective hoaxers.
Perhaps most damningly, the kind of scrutiny and anger reserved for incidents of racial hatred seem limited to episodes that confirm what social justice activists believe should constitute American bigotry. There have been no similar national paroxysms amid a sharp uptick in violence targeting New York City’s Jewish population. Maybe that’s because Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn don’t register for these activists as prototypical victims of violent prejudice.

SBM

Oh dear. Look what’s turned up here in Los Angeles. It’s a on a bus stop near Fox studios! Parody of the Oscar nominated movie Black Panther, but it’s a big photo of Jussie with the title: Black Prankster, and the tag line: “For your consideration - Best Fictional Story”

Wow!!!! Wonder who paid for that?

Helloooooo Gitana, Is Mr. Smollett possibly legally guilty of a "hate crime" in this situation ?...Take care...cody22

No. Because it wasn't about assaulting someone due to their ethnic or other status. It's fraud.

Unless there is a rehab facility with a separate comedian wing I don't see them signing on for the aftermath of this one.

I truly had not read about this story until I happened to be watching GMA when Robin Roberts interviewed him. I shook my head. You could see that she wasn't into it. Bless her heart, she didn't laugh. It reminded me of when Steve Harvey called the wrong winner on Trump-owned Miss Universe. The next week Harvey had a game show premier and the following week a talk show. I had never heard of him before that.

JMO

JMO

Nah. Steve Harvey had Family Feud for 5 years before that gaffe and his last talk show for three. He was host of Showtime at the Apollo for 10 years, is known for his stand up comedy and has had a host of other shows forever. I've known of him for a long time.

Never heard of Smollett before this though.

And/or wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions. And not wanting to believe that someone would do this and put every other victim at risk of not being believed. Call me naive but I will always believe the victim (generally speaking) until given proof not to.
For me, it was never about wanting to believe it, or wanting to disbelieve it.

I try to look at each event, each case, as a stand-alone event.

The facts themselves, made absolutely no sense. The facts made me skeptical, and eventually, became so overwhelming that the conclusion was apparent.

This was a work of fiction. Bad fiction.

I find it very fishy that he has been accused of faking this entire event and yet he isn’t coming out and fighting his corner.

If I was telling the truth and was being falsely Accused all over the media then I wouldn’t sit idly by and let my name be destroyed. He is making the entire thing worse by his silence and is basically admitting his guilt.

No. Because it wasn't about assaulting someone due to their ethnic or other status. It's fraud.

What about conspiracy to commit a hate crime? On GMA he identified two people as his attackers (who he earlier singled out as white). Knowing he was lying couldn't this be a hate crime? As I understand Illinois hate crimes include harassment, stalking, and intimidation. Seems to qualify.

And/or wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions. And not wanting to believe that someone would do this and put every other victim at risk of not being believed. Call me naive but I will always believe the victim (generally speaking) until given proof not to.

I don’t believe anything in the news until at least 48 hours have passed in order to give things time to shake out and settle. Even a dead body can appear to be a murder when it really is a suicide.

The toughest part of this case was bending over backwards into a pretzel, trying to be victim friendly, when the whole ordeal was preposterous. Yet, this psychopath Jussie doubled down to the end, with his ridiculous story, even shaming forward thinking people, who easily figured out his sham.

Thanks for the clip but it still begs the question: what was the motive behind sending the threatening letter? What did Jussie hope to accomplish with the letter? That has yet to be answered.

JMO

Its been asked and answered. Here on WS, by the facts from LE, and in some op-eds in the MSM.

Personally, I think he wanted to stay on "Empire" and get validation for that threatening letter, for himself and various activists. His social media speaks volumes.

When he did not get the validation he expected he upped the game.
To his expense, because it was a very poor strategy.

I think its as simple as that.

I think most didn't think he was lying until all the holes came out. There is no denying that, unfortunately, this was a hoax.
Even Al Sharpton spoke out saying if it was indeed a hoax, the perp should be punished.

If and when there's a Grand Jury Indictment, it will speak for itself. Until then, I think we can all figure out his motivation. Its certainly not some conspiracy theory. I don't think some politician forced him to do it...

moo

What about conspiracy to commit a hate crime? On GMA he identified two people as his attackers (who he earlier singled out as white). Knowing he was lying couldn't this be a hate crime? As I understand Illinois hate crimes include harassment, stalking, and intimidation. Seems to qualify.

I don't know about the street thing, but I think the letter sent to Empire could be considered a hate crime even if he was behind it.

Opinion | Jussie Smollett and a Perfect Crime (NY Times)

SBM

If you are inclined to believe that America — especially in the age of ****** ***** — is plagued by racism and homophobia, none of these extremely fishy details seemed to register. Indeed, many politicians and journalists seemed to suspend all critical thought in a campaign to indict not just Mr. Smollett’s attackers but the country as a whole.

SBM

This case is an object lesson in what happens when people in positions of political and cultural authority abandon critical thinking and pressure those who don’t abandon their circumspection under pain of being smeared as bigots. It also exemplifies the tendency of those arbiters to amplify “perfect crimes” that advance their political agenda — and to ignore crimes that don’t.

Consider some of the “hate crimes” that have garnered tremendous attention in the past two years.

A week before the 2016 presidential vote, a historic black church in Mississippi was spray-painted with pro-***** graffiti and set ablaze, prompting a national spasm of anxiety amid the prospect that the bad old days were back. The Republican Party was hounded for comment on the episode, and reporters attributed the event to the “tense” state of “American politics.” The person charged in this crime was, however, a parishioner, and an official said the arson was designed to appear “politically motivated,” but was not.

Shortly after *****’s election, a woman in Ann Arbor, Mich., insisted that she was approached by a white man who threatened to set her on fire if she did not remove her hijab. A Michigan lawmaker tied the case to the president-elect, who he said empowered “devastating racism, sexism and xenophobia.” But the police came to the conclusion that the whole thing was a hoax.

A week after the election, an Episcopal church in Indiana gained national attention when it was painted with homophobic slurs, swastikas and pro-***** language. The self-identified gay man who later confessed to the crime was the church’s organist. Investigators said he hoped to “mobilize a movement after being disappointed” by the election results.

A few weeks later, an 18-year-old Muslim woman alleged that a group of the president’s supporters attacked her at a New York City subway station and tried to rip her hijab off her head. New Yorkers rallied to her defense. Anti-racist demonstrations in Grand Central Station were organized, and significant police resources were devoted to investigating the case. She was later charged with misleading investigators.

All of these events occasioned deep dives by the press into the forces of racial animus Mr. ***** unleashed during his campaign. But there was no chastened soul-searching when the deceptions were exposed. And few entertain the possibility that the attention these allegations generate has created an incentive structure for prospective hoaxers.
Perhaps most damningly, the kind of scrutiny and anger reserved for incidents of racial hatred seem limited to episodes that confirm what social justice activists believe should constitute American bigotry. There have been no similar national paroxysms amid a sharp uptick in violence targeting New York City’s Jewish population. Maybe that’s because Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn don’t register for these activists as prototypical victims of violent prejudice.

SBM

I'm not inclined to believe we are plagued with homophobia and racism. I know it. I see it. Just reading it daily in youtube and yahoo comments alone shows a person how insane and widespread it is.

I just feel we need to use common sense. And I think it's sad that an agenda or belief system can cause people to abandon logic and all rationality.

If something doesn't make sense, it's fair to scrutinize it.

Its been asked and answered. Here on WS, by the facts from LE, and in some op-eds in the MSM.

Personally, I think he wanted to stay on "Empire" and get validation for that threatening letter, for himself and various activists.

When he did not get the validation he expected he upped the game.
To his expense, because it was a very poor strategy.

I think its as simple as that.

I think most didn't think he was lying until all the holes came out. There is no denying that, unfortunately, this was a hoax.
Even Al Sharpton spoke out saying if it was indeed a hoax, the perp should be punished.

If and when there's a Grand Jury Indictment, it will speak for itself. Until then, I think we can all figure out his motivation. Its certainly not some conspiracy theory. I don't think some politician forced him to do it...

moo

I didn't believe it the moment I heard his story. It just didn't make sense. I wasn't at all trying to be unfair though.

I'm not inclined to believe we are plagued with homophobia and racism. I know it. I see it. Just reading it daily in youtube and yahoo comments alone shows a person how insane and widespread it is.

I just feel we need to use common sense. And I think it's sad that an agenda or belief system can cause people to abandon logic and all rationality.

If something doesn't make sense, it's fair to scrutinize it.

Count me in.

The toughest part of this case was bending over backwards into a pretzel, trying to be victim friendly, when the whole ordeal was preposterous. Yet, this psychopath Jussie doubled down to the end, with his ridiculous story, even shaming forward thinking people, who easily figured out his sham.

I agree that it's hard :rolleyes:. But it's not nearly as hard as it is for an actual victim who is afraid of not being believed. And I have to believe that if we all show more restraint, we can make society more fair for people from all walks of life.

It gets exhausting, this era of barracuda behavior, where people all jump on one another the minute something seems to clash with our "gut". I think we are strong enough to extend compassion and some benefit of the doubt without getting suckered. Maybe it used to be called etiquette or civility, but maybe a better term is "boundaries".

It's simply an easy term for crimes with very specific motives. The motive is determined to be only hate toward a specific protected class - race, age, sex, religion, etc. It does not imply anything about other crimes. They know when it's a hate crime when the perp makes certain statements during the crime or after. Like this one: Man arrested for punching, pouring coffee on Sikh 7-Eleven clerk — because he thought the man was Muslim
Yet they claim it's a hate crime before any suspect is found and interrogated. Personally I think "hate crime" is a poor name, and it's too dependent upon emotions which isn't good in a justice system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj