IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #3 *SMOLLETT ARRESTED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing the word "proffer" on the thread. What does it mean?

Its what the prosecution expect their case to be, so its a document containing a summary of their evidence so far and details of their investigation. Jussie's is here and basically summarises the case and what LE found when they investigated

I am pretty sure that the O Bros were the ones that actually created and sent the letter. But they were directed to do so by JS, in my opinion. But unfortunately, it will be a 'he said vs they said' situation. So I don't think JS will get charged with the letter.

That is what I think that the strategy is for the entire situation. Enough to make "reasonable doubt" for a jury. The Brothers did everything. Smollett is still a victim.

If the CPD charged him, they have more corroborating evidence than just what the brothers said. INMO.

Feds Dispute Police Superintendent's Claim Jussie Smollett Sent Letter

Federal law enforcement sources tell us they're still investigating the letter and have drawn no conclusions. Both federal and state law enforcement sources say the operating theory was that the 2 brothers -- Abel and Ola Osundairo -- may have mailed the letter because, when cops raided their apartment and seized magazines, there were pages missing.

When i had birds i kept magazines/newspaper for the bottom of the cage. I would imagine that they wouldn’t have newspaper w/ on line information.

How cops used surveillance cameras to build Jussie Smollett case | Daily Mail Online

Police tapped into Chicago's vast network of surveillance cameras - and even some homeowners' doorbell cameras - to track down two brothers who later claimed they were paid by 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett to stage an attack on him, the latest example of the city's high-tech approach to public safety.

Officers said they reviewed video from 55 cameras to trace the brothers' movements before and after the reported attack, determining where they lived and who they were before arresting them a little more than two weeks later.

[...]

HOW THE ATTACK WAS PUT TOGETHER
January 22: Jussie Smollett receives a letter at the CineSpace studio which threatens his life and has 'MAGA' written on it in red pen. He reports it to police

January 25: Smollett sends a text to Abel Osundairo asking him when he is going to Nigeria and if they can meet up face-to-face

Abel goes to the studio where he is working and Smollett drives him home. During the ride, he said he was 'displeased' with the reaction to the letter.

Once at their home, Abel's brother Ola gets in the car and Smollett tells them what he wants them to do. He gives them a $100 bill to buy the goods they will need to fake the attack

January 27: Smollett picks the brothers up then drives them to the spot where he wants them to fake the attack.

He then goes to New York.

January 28: Smollett is in New York City for a reading of the play Take Me Out.

The brothers are filmed buying ski masks, a red hat and gloves

January 29 - Day of attack

The attack was due to take place at 10pm on January 28 but because Smollett's flight was delayed, it was pushed back.

12.30am: Smollett arrives back in Chicago

12.49am: He calls Abel Osundairo and they talk for three minutes

Abel orders an Uber minutes later.

1.22am: The brothers arrive in the area of the attack

1.45am: Smollett leaves his building to go to Subway

2.04am: The attack takes place in the arranged location

2.10am: Brothers get a taxi from a hotel nearby

2.25am: The brothers arrive back in their neighborhood in a taxi

2.27am: Smollett's manager calls the police

2.42am: Police arrive at Smollett's building and he asks them to turn off their body cameras

7.45pm: Smollett calls Abel. The conversation lasts five seconds.

7.47pm: Abel calls back and they speak for 1 minute 34 seconds.

The brothers then board their flight.

January 30, 10:46am: Smollett calls Abel who is by now in Istanbul, Turkey.

They speak for 8 minutes and eight seconds.

[...]

I am pretty sure that the O Bros were the ones that actually created and sent the letter. But they were directed to do so by JS, in my opinion. But unfortunately, it will be a 'he said vs they said' situation. So I don't think JS will get charged with the letter.

I'm really not sure what to make of that. They for instance may have created the letter, but JS mailed it himself or had a 3rd party mail it. JS was aware to tell the O brothers not to bring their phones with them for the fake assault, so it would not surprise me at all to find out that he didn't trust the O brothers with so important a task as the actual mailing of the letter given the significant legal ramifications behind it. I'm very curious about where it was mailed from as it wouldn't surprise me if someone put it in say a business's outgoing mail at an office rather than anywhere near a USPS dropbox, mail center or their own mailbox.

That is what I think that the strategy is for the entire situation. Enough to make "reasonable doubt" for a jury. The Brothers did everything. Smollett is still a victim.

If the CPD charged him, they have more corroborating evidence than just what the brothers said. INMO.
Funny how, so far, the brothers haven't been blamed by JS. Blame has been placed elsewhere, but not on the brothers (yet?).

jmo

Just for chuckles wouldn't it be something if brothers didn't trust JS and recorded/video their calls or meetings. :D

Depending on Illinois State law if legal and admissable in court but what if....:cool:

My instincts tell me State is locked & loaded. KWIM .
They have PROOF with no room for DOUBT.

Is it a real word or a more like a nickname for the offering of evidence? I follow many cases and have never seen the term, though I know what the role of prosecutor is.

jmo
It is a a real word (a transitive verb) mainly used in US law.

from Merriam-Webster:
"Proffer" entered English in the 14th century. A more literary word than plain "offer," it adds or puts stress on the idea of voluntariness, spontaneity, or courtesy on the part of the one doing the tendering.

Eta: more from MW:
Verb

You may notice a striking similarity between "proffer" and "offer." Are the two words connected by etymology? Yes, indeed. "Proffer" comes from Anglo-French profrer,which itself is an alteration of the earlier "porofrir." That word in turn combines "por-" (which means "forth" and is related to our "pro-") and "offrir" (which means "to offer" and is an ancestor of our word offer).

How cops used surveillance cameras to build Jussie Smollett case | Daily Mail Online

Police tapped into Chicago's vast network of surveillance cameras - and even some homeowners' doorbell cameras - to track down two brothers who later claimed they were paid by 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett to stage an attack on him, the latest example of the city's high-tech approach to public safety.

Officers said they reviewed video from 55 cameras to trace the brothers' movements before and after the reported attack, determining where they lived and who they were before arresting them a little more than two weeks later.

[...]

HOW THE ATTACK WAS PUT TOGETHER
January 22: Jussie Smollett receives a letter at the CineSpace studio which threatens his life and has 'MAGA' written on it in red pen. He reports it to police

January 25: Smollett sends a text to Abel Osundairo asking him when he is going to Nigeria and if they can meet up face-to-face

Abel goes to the studio where he is working and Smollett drives him home. During the ride, he said he was 'displeased' with the reaction to the letter.

Once at their home, Abel's brother Ola gets in the car and Smollett tells them what he wants them to do. He gives them a $100 bill to buy the goods they will need to fake the attack

January 27: Smollett picks the brothers up then drives them to the spot where he wants them to fake the attack.

He then goes to New York.

January 28: Smollett is in New York City for a reading of the play Take Me Out.

The brothers are filmed buying ski masks, a red hat and gloves

January 29 - Day of attack

The attack was due to take place at 10pm on January 28 but because Smollett's flight was delayed, it was pushed back.

12.30am: Smollett arrives back in Chicago

12.49am: He calls Abel Osundairo and they talk for three minutes

Abel orders an Uber minutes later.

1.22am: The brothers arrive in the area of the attack

1.45am: Smollett leaves his building to go to Subway

2.04am: The attack takes place in the arranged location

2.10am: Brothers get a taxi from a hotel nearby

2.25am: The brothers arrive back in their neighborhood in a taxi

2.27am: Smollett's manager calls the police

2.42am: Police arrive at Smollett's building and he asks them to turn off their body cameras

7.45pm: Smollett calls Abel. The conversation lasts five seconds.

7.47pm: Abel calls back and they speak for 1 minute 34 seconds.

The brothers then board their flight.

January 30, 10:46am: Smollett calls Abel who is by now in Istanbul, Turkey.

They speak for 8 minutes and eight seconds.

[...]
I'm laughing to myself thinking about JS redacting the phone records:

So lets see here, I better block out that call at 12:49 A.M. to Able, better block out that call to Able at 7:45 P.M. and I should probably block out that call I made to Able when he was in Turkey and so on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214