IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #4 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama's former COS David Axelrod is displeased with how this was handled.

IDK who was behind it, but the whole thing was handled poorly. JMO, Smollett was overcharged (ridiculous that someone was facing 40+ yrs in prison for making up this story. Rapists don't even serve that much time), but the whole thing shouldn't have been erased the way it was. Smollet's life going forward will be unpleasant. He'll have a lot of crazy people following him around, trying to harm or kill him. So, dumb move overall, for how this was handled.

ETA: I'm also not sure this was done to cover up for someone else. There weren't any other people involved besides the two guys who helped stage it. It was handled this way, most likely, because that's how powerful people do things - the way they want with no accountability to the public. Chicago has a lot of this, but this kind of corruption is at every level of government everywhere in the US and is non-partisan.
I am not sure we can say it was overcharged just by looking st the maximum prison time. Every crime has a pretty high max sentence.
If he was found guilty then he probably would have been given probation or a large amount of community service—-no one expected him to receive years of jail time

JMO

JS had a prior incident where he was stopped and gave his brothers name instead of his own. Then with the hoax attack, false police report, lying to investigators, lying on TV, and now his statement after yesterday's hearing where he says he has always told the truth, it seems JS has a real issue with lying and taking responsibility for himself. Maybe he is just very immature. But he is repeatedly failing to realize (or care) that his lying seriously affects other people.

I honestly don't think he cares about other people, Prairie.

People who have true empathy for others doesn't make up false hate claim allegations to begin with, knowing how inflammatory, and rightfully emotional people get about any hate crime being committed against anyone for any hateful reason.

I do think Jussie is very much a very self centered narcissist, but dismissing, and then sealing all of the evidence,against him, only has enabled him to continue his narcissism. Imo, one has to have a moral compass inside of themselves to make sure they always try their very best to do the right things in life. JS has no such moral compass, just like all the others who file false hate crime allegations, do not.

One has to be downright mean spirited, and cruel to do such a terrible thing, imo.

He knew what he had planned, and then carried out was not, only morally wrong, but legally wrong. He just didnt care that it was the wrong thing to do.

What amazes me most is how he blatantly continues to lies with ease.

That's scary to me, and makes me wonder how he can do this without any remorse. That seems to be more like someone who has the traits of a sociopath who never accepts blame for anything, and must see themselves as a victim rather that the victimizer. they truly are.

Enabling him like the prosecutors have done now, will never teach him anything about being accountable for his own wrongdoings. It will only convince him he doesn't have to be accountable for anything even something as serious as this making him believe he is untouchable.

It's very sad how he won't even do the right thing even now after all he has done already. He remains, arrogant, and totally remorseless, and I don't expect that attitude to change either. Sigh.

Imo

I am not sure we can say it was overcharged just by looking st the maximum prison time. Every crime has a pretty high max sentence.
If he was found guilty then he probably would have been given probation or a large amount of community service—-no one expected him to receive years of jail time

JMO
I think most people would have been ok with what would have likely happened had this case been plead out, instead of dropped.

Probation. Restitution. An apology.

Agree. The idea that he could be charged with so many felonies with penalties up to 40 some years in jail is way too much. He lied and hurt some people's feelings, but that's not a crime worth sending someone to prison for. There's no comparison to violent crime, mass murder, spree killings, etc.

He needs a sentence that is severe enough to discourage other people from engaging in this kind of behavior, maybe a bigger fine and more community service. It should remain on his record, as it would for anyone else who committed the same kind of crime. Some type of sanction should also apply if any officials behaved unethically in resolving this case. Otherwise, everyone needs to calm down and move on. JMO

Are those 40 years concurrent or consecutive?

Giving Smollett a pass for hate crime means that everyone else gets a pass as well. Should hate crimes be viewed as nothing more than "hurting some people's feelings" and should sentencing be limited to picking up garbage on a Sunday afternoon?

I think most people would have been ok with what would have likely happened had this case been plead out, instead of dropped.

Probation. Restitution. An apology.
This is exactly what I thought would happen. I was one of the few that believed an actual hate crime happened to him..at first..then evidence to something else came to light. A lot of people,including celebrities then backed away from him. Perhaps, in the long run,all of this is exactly what JS wanted. His name/case is on my local news at every newscast. They even include his name in their teasing blurbs for the ten o'clock news. I live 4 states away. I have all ready seen where the case is being discussed on a lot of media outlets. I won't be watching. MOO

Ummm

I disagree with this.

I would like to see the proof of it

I think JS is stupid and arrogant enough to have come up with this ridiculous plot all on his own.
I am not sure there’s any proof of it at this point

But it was discussed early on, that this incident was immediately rolled out by 2 high profile politicians as a reason that the new anti-LYNCHING law was necessary.

It seemed odd to me at the time that right when that law was being rolled out and publicized, coincidentally a young black man was strangled by 2 white men with MAGA hats and a noose

This is the most " people's reactions" informative and entertaining WS thread that I have ever seen. No sleuthing to be done at all hardly, and lots of fun "people watching."..... I hope it goes on a little longer.....moo

Maybe it’s somewhere in the past 50 pages, but I’m now wondering, 1) will the Fed charge JS with anything? and/or 2) will the IL prosecutor or others involved with her be investigated?
The federal investigation wasn’t affected by the prosecution dropping the state charges, so a federal prosecution remains to be seen.

I do think there is a good possibility that the handling of this case will be investigated.

The police union and mayor’s office are not at all happy with how this played out.

They have to do something.

Last edited:
Jessie’s lawyer says she “won’t rule out suing the city of Chicago”.
Dailycaller.com

Sorry. I tried to link and couldn’t bring it over.
Oh my Lord. I hope she does sue Chicago. Lets have some depositions and transcripts out there

I can’t wait for the city’s attorneys to question Jussie

JMO

Hi Katy!

The way I think about this is like I do in every criminal case.

They had more than enough evidence to prove his guilt, even Magats openly admitted that yesterday.

So it should have gone to trial either by jury or bench trial. Whatever his choice.

Then if convicted of all 16 counts it would be up to the judge what sentence they felt was appropriate.

That's what should have happened. Sunshine is always the best disinfectant. Sweeping it under the rug, and sealing the evidence up like its being housed in Ft. Knox is never the answer, and only adds more to the suspicions about how some prosecutors deal with some defendants, and dont do the same for others.

JS has no one to blame for the 16 felonies, but himself. They kept stacking up higher, and higher, because LE knew by then he was lying, and kept lying everytime he was interviewed.

Imo

Charlie De Mar‏Verified account @CharlieDeMar
Former Michelle Obama Chief of Staff Tina Tchen releases a statement about reaching out to @SAKimFoxx on behalf of Jussie Smollett.

D2sfzyXXgAANeci.jpg

The federal investigation wasn’t affected by the prosecution dropping the state charges, so a federal prosecution remains to be seen.

I do think there is a good possibility that the handling of this case will be investigated.

The police union and mayor’s office are not at all happy with how this played out.
I hope things are looked into. The problem is, Illinois is a mess (in many ways - financial, political), and Chicago is corrupt. Multiple IL governors went to prison. It’s my home state—been gone a long time—would love to see them clean things up. But don’t think it will happen. Been building for a long time. This JS case though—what a mess. It’s not right. I had no clue who he even was before this story broke.

1. Verified account 1h1 hour ago
    NEW: Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sr’s Rainbow PUSH releases statement on #JussieSmollett’s 16 hours of community service there: “When we first heard of Jussie Smollett’s crisis, we reached out to him and “Empire” to see if we could be helpful.” /1

2. Verified account 1h1 hour ago
    “Jussie met with us and has given of himself to our organization and the movement for social justice. We have members and supporters across the country and around the world.” /2 #JussieSmollett

3. Verified account 1h1 hour ago
    “Many of our members and supporters give of themselves and their time to help achieve the goals of the organization. Jussie is a member of our organization. He, like many other members, has given of his time and talent and continues to do so.” /3 #JussieSmollett
Dakarai Turner‏Verified account @Dakarai_Turner
“During this period of disruption to his life and livelihood, Jussie has spent time here helping to advance this important work. There was no court-ordered community service here.” /4 #JussieSmollett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member