Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a mandated reporter. Most of the rules are made to ensure that I report with the legal time frame. I think it is important to note that I have been trained that if a child is in imminent danger that I am to always call 911. I have had my fair share of wait times on the line with the DCFS equivalent in my area. If you are mandated you can not remain anonymous. If you want remain anonymous, you can wait on the line I guess. I also have follow up forms to complete within a time frame as well.

As ridiculous as it is to be have to wait and to have this system be so understaffed which can result in child endangerment, it is important to note each and every state holds the purse strings to fund this agency. If the system was not understaffed with high turnover and the least amount of education needed to hold a position, the system would be different. There is a tremendous premium placed on budgets and parent's rights/family reunification. If we want it changed (especially in states with high opiod and drug use that results in child injury and death) it is time to change it through laws and funding. That is not to say that the DCFS employees didn't massively underperform for this child and others. They did, but their hands are tied by budgets, the legal system and those who underfund them. IMHO.

Thank you for these fine words, kaen.

This tragedy really emphasizes that funding the war on drug abuse should not just be restricted to the access and distribution of drugs , but Child and Family services need as much to be funded.

The cause and effect nature of drug crimes and abuse and neglect of children is a massively ignored part of this epidemic.

Totally agree. Can’t even add another sentence. It’s too painful to imagine the state AJ was in at this point

OMG I hope they didn’t leave him alone to die! But I bet they did.....they don’t care, only about their drugs. These ‘parents’ are so flippin cruel and I just want to throttle both of them. I was so sad when I read that ‘mom’ left her oldest son alone when he was sick, with no food or medicine. I mean, FGS, what ‘mother’ can do that to her child? I guess her leaving A.J. to die alone will not surprise me either.

I swore after Lucas’s case I would stop following these cases but here I am again. Here we all are, thankfully. We care.

I am a mandated reporter. Most of the rules are made to ensure that I report with the legal time frame. I think it is important to note that I have been trained that if a child is in imminent danger that I am to always call 911. I have had my fair share of wait times on the line with the DCFS equivalent in my area. If you are mandated you can not remain anonymous. If you want remain anonymous, you can wait on the line I guess. I also have follow up forms to complete within a time frame as well.

As ridiculous as it is to be have to wait and to have this system be so understaffed which can result in child endangerment, it is important to note each and every state holds the purse strings to fund this agency. If the system was not understaffed with high turnover and the least amount of education needed to hold a position, the system would be different. There is a tremendous premium placed on budgets and parent's rights/family reunification. If we want it changed (especially in states with high opiod and drug use that results in child injury and death) it is time to change it through laws and funding. That is not to say that the DCFS employees didn't massively underperform for this child and others. They did, but their hands are tied by budgets, the legal system and those who underfund them. IMHO.

I am a mandated reported, as well. I live in a,small town and I hop in the car and ride over. Most of the time, I've got photos for show and tell.

Yes, everything is underfunded. I've got friends working "off the clock", to keep up the paper trail. Sometimes when we have girls dinner night, we do a ride by in a vehicle they don't know. Some think we're crazy....

I’be read enough court of appeals regarding terminations of parental rights that are published online to know that it doesn’t matter how much time, resources and programs are thrown at these shatbags they typically don’t change or comply. And more often than not child services is doing their part, but the law prevents anything from being done to protect the children.
jmo

I am a mandated reported, as well. I live in a,small town and I hop in the car and ride over. Most of the time, I've got photos for show and tell.

Yes, everything is underfunded. I've got friends working "off the clock", to keep up the paper trail. Sometimes when we have girls dinner night, we do a ride by in a vehicle they don't know. Some think we're crazy....

Thank you!!

I’be read enough court of appeals regarding terminations of parental rights that are published online to know that it doesn’t matter how much time, resources and programs are thrown at these shatbags they typically don’t change or comply. And more often than not child services is doing their part, but the law prevents anything from being done to protect the children.
jmo

EXACTLY !!!

Sure I could have called in the incidents to the 1.800.,line, But, he!! No, I provide any and all information to seek justice.

The ER Dr, who heard the comments, mommies coulda done it, should have been a show stopper. It would have been for me. Pick up the phone call CPS, they have an on call person 24/7, call LE and refuse to discharge the child. A Dr. is legally afforded that right.

The neighbor who at Halloween was told by mom, he scalded his hand, did NOT report it!!!! NO reports around Halloween. If that had been YOU or I, I believe most of us would have I called someone!!!

I hear your frustration. Over my career, I have made over 40 calls to Protective Services, before and after mandated reporting was the law. Of my peers, I am often the first to make the calls because I want to ensure child safety. I do believe that abused/neglected children who are school age or in Child Care settings are much more safe because of mandated reporting. As we have more early childhood programs funded in states kids like this sweet boy would be more likely in care and have incidents reported. A bruise on a hip as described would be noted in a care setting.

I have also made reports outside of my mandated role. While I don't want to disparage the woman who saw him at Halloween, I am shocked that a person could have seen a scalding injury and not make a report, especially if you knew this family from the neighborhood.

Doctors, especially, pediatricians are often more reticent to call..... one side of the issue (After the Hotline Call) and the other (this review states four specific reason for low pediatrician reporting--- To Report or Not Report: A Physician's Dilemma).

It takes education of all who are in contact with children and it takes money, unfortunately.

Assuming both parents will get a long prison sentence, possibly life, will the parental rights be taken away for this newborn?

Why will the baby not be taken from JC immediately after birth as is done when girls are giving the baby to a chosen adoptive couple? JC has no rights to spend time with this baby that she has put through hell in utero. JC will never raise this child, thank goodness! I pray this baby will be given to a foster couple looking to adopt a baby so the baby goes home with its future mom and dad.

Let’s prepare for this baby’s birth and get her started on the right path the minute she enters the world.

Is there knowledge if this child is Andrew Freund Sr or the othe guy who lived in the house but is now in prison? Guess if it is the guy in jail, that totally changes the story as he may want the baby and refuse to give his parental rights up. What a twisted messed up family!!
And the guy who’s in jail could very well get her when he gets out, if he’s the daddy. Seen it happen, sadly! IMO SMDH!

From ttps://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-aj-freund-crystal-lake-abuse-20190426-story.htmlthe
talking heads are busy busy busy and the slackers are working overtime to minimize their culpability in these cases! (working?:rolleyes:)

BBM
..She agreed there were plenty of warning signs in AJ’s case.
“I always remind people that it was the parent — not DCFS — that killed the child,” Glick said, speaking generally about cases in which parents are convicted of killing a child. “They don’t have a crystal ball, but there are things we can do when we review these cases that can objectively lead us to change. Was there something missed? Was there something better that could have been done?”

So much they could have and should have done. They don't even understand that simplistic concept!

She continued, “The answer is there. I’ve always preached that we have to medicalize DCFS with intensive onsite training and have supervisors who know what they’re doing (in cases involving serious injury). You have to look at the age of the child, the location of t bruises and the history of the parents. This is all about critical thinking, and these kind of cases take a lot of time and expertise.”

BINGO....most definitely about "critical thinking"! Anyone there capable of it? Not Before, during or after the torture and death of many. This is criminal.
So we are to be consoled because 2 workers were reassigned to administrative duties and relieved of their...whatever they were doing while AJ suffered. Administrative duties? Why aren't these two (plus more) on trash duty or cleaning toilets at their office?

Sweet! Government jobs!
When one snags a government job it is next to impossible to get rid of them. Not like an agency wants to because the number of workers determines, in part, their funding dollars.

I have a strong opinion in this case in particular: Anyone who dropped the ball in this investigation is an accessory to the torture and murder of little AJ Cunningham. I also believe we shut down these wasteful, ill staffed government agencies and start privatizing them with "critical thinkers", people who are educated, trained and have a desire to protect the innocent. Again, my opinion, but I do not stand alone.
edited for error in formatting

Last edited:
Here is what I found and posted earlier (and it is unbelievable):

In the bolded (by me) part of the DCFS report published today, it states that JoAnn was a foster parent and Andrew's removal was in a home of a cousin. I know that unfounded reports should not taint a person's ability to parent if indeed the report is unfounded, so I get why they would expunge a record. However, in the space of a year and a half, there were three reports of drug use/abuse and supervision issues. It took Andrew being born to get some action. What if the foster child had been harmed? This could have been avoided. Just unbelievable.

......OVERVIEW -
PREVIOUS HISTORY
The Department’s first interaction with this family began in 2012, prior to Andrew’s birth. JoAnn Summerkamp (maiden name Cunningham) mother of Andrew was a DCFS foster parent who had two prior unfounded cases in 2012. The first case was for Inadequate Supervision and the second case was for Risk of Harm and Environmental neglect. In October 2013, JoAnn gave birth to Andrew Freund, whose toxicology screen tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. Andrew was removed from his mother’s care and DCFS was granted temporary custody of Andrew. He was placed with his cousin in what is called a relative foster home.

TIMELINE
06/07/12 DCFS received a hotline call alleging inadequate supervision. The allegations were that JoAnn is abusing prescription drugs and neglecting her foster child. The report was unfounded and expunged.

12/24/12 DCFS hotline received a call alleging environmental neglect and injurious environment as to her oldest son. The report alleged JoAnn is abusing prescription drugs and has mental health issues. The report was unfounded and expunged.

10/16/13 DCFS received a hotline report alleging substance misuse by neglect, afterJoAnn gave birth to Andrew on 10/14/13. Andrew and JoAnn tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. The report was indicated forSubstance Misuse. Andrew was removed from his mother’s care during the investigation.......

From the DCFS Memo published by ‘Maybe Mommy Didn’t Mean To Hurt Me’; A.J. Freund Told Doctor About Mysterious Bruise Five Months Before His Death
Dear God! How can this get worse?

"A new timeline released Friday detailing state child welfare investigators’ interactions showed that four months before his parents allegedly beat him to death after forcing him to take a cold shower, the boy told a doctor during an emergency room visit that “maybe someone hit me with a belt,”

“Maybe Mommy didn’t mean to hurt me,” AJ told the doctor on Dec. 18, after DCFS received a hotline report alleging “environmental neglect” of the boy and his younger brother, as well as “cuts, welts and bruises” to AJ."

All I can say is...sad, sad, heartbreaking. :-(

I hear your frustration. Over my career, I have made over 40 calls to Protective Services, before and after mandated reporting was the law. Of my peers, I am often the first to make the calls because I want to ensure child safety. I do believe that abused/neglected children who are school age or in Child Care settings are much more safe because of mandated reporting. As we have more early childhood programs funded in states kids like this sweet boy would be more likely in care and have incidents reported. A bruise on a hip as described would be noted in a care setting.

I have also made reports outside of my mandated role. While I don't want to disparage the woman who saw him at Halloween, I am shocked that a person could have seen a scalding injury and not make a report, especially if you knew this family from the neighborhood.

Doctors, especially, pediatricians are often more reticent to call..... one side of the issue (After the Hotline Call) and the other (this review states four specific reason for low pediatrician reporting--- To Report or Not Report: A Physician's Dilemma).

It takes education of all who are in contact with children and it takes money, unfortunately.

It takes guts to report. You know how much paperwork, the questions, the liability of reporting takes.

Yes, its always money.

Anyone know of a study that shows deaths related to children in/out of children services by state?

I don't know, but another issue is that children in Foster care turn up "missing", and no one ever reported it. This happens often. And the foster parents say, "We called and reported it." They never contacted the police though...or minimized the incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member