Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another friendly reminder.

Who is waiting to be verified? Please copy this and add your name so when I talk to Tricia I can make sure I know who needs to be confirmed as verified. NEVER MIND. See updated list of who is verified in following post.

Also, unless you have a link to back up a statement - such as drug use (ie, via a conviction or charge and court records to back that up for example) it MUST be posted as rumor. There is a LOT of info floating around and it is very difficult for me to sort fact from fiction. It will be a little easier to sort this out once we have a list of WHO is verified, and for those who are verified to state how they know this info. Things such as this is what I am hearing around town, or this is what Beths friends have expressed to me, helps support those statements.

What I don't want to happen here is for WS to become a source of unfounded rumor so we need to be especially careful of sourcing this information. We also need to keep in mind we can comment about our opinion of JW's or the players actions but we can not bash them. There are still no POI's or suspects in this case.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you and let's bring Beth home!

Cubby

I'm a day late and a dollar short here, but I FINALLY have the list of who is currently VERIFIED in Beth's thread.

The following WS members have been verified for Beths case.

Paschein
CuriousOne2

AlwaysThinking
Hmm

Where was this quote? I couldn't find it. I think it's really interesting that she's talking.

It is under LW post from the 8th at 12:24 pm i think, then everyone begin to post and it grew to 100 last time I looked. I hope it is OK to post this information. It is all on FB.

R131313, I do not blindly believe the LE is doing everything perfectly, but at the same time, yes they have Jenn's story, but they can't do anything because there is no evidence. Just because the LE hasn't announced anything doesn't necessarily mean there is no urgency or direction. I am sure they suspect foul play, just as they suspect BB just took off. They have no proof...yet.

I agree, there is censorship on FB, why - I don't know. Gus hasn't posted in a while and I wonder if he has been blocked, or...perhaps he just has nothing to say at the moment.

I think JW's story COULD be believable, but her actions, what she says, what she doesn't say, all of it, does not sit right with me. I think if an innocent person was under so much scrutiny, they would and could, do a lot to prove they are innocent. For some people, some things are harder to believe if you know the parties involved. But that's just me, my little ol opinion. I just wish for the sake of Beth's family, Beth is found, and soon.

I agree. Beth willingly taking off makes no sense to me. Because I don't believe she would walk away from a decent amount of child support and possibly alimony for a few years. Why would Beth walk from a nice amount of child support AND very likely alimony? plus half their assets if she wanted to leave?

Yet, I also think a portion of JW's story could be true, and that Beth could have met with a guy she didn't know well who caused her harm. I'm having a hard time with some of JW's answers and reactions. Her reactions are not that of fear, worry and concern for Beth. (IMO). She has been TOO talkative about Beths personal life and alleged mistakes when she could have been breif about that to protect Beths family and much more forthcoming about the chain of events that weekend. I can understand an initial reaction of stumbling all over herself but this is going on 8 weeks now. Why hasn't JW been able to gather herself and come up with a reasonable statement answering the majority of the same questions she has been asked since Beth disappeared?

JMO

I agree. Beth willingly taking off makes no sense to me. Because I don't believe she would walk away from a decent amount of child support and possibly alimony for a few years. Why would Beth walk from a nice amount of child support AND very likely alimony? plus half their assets if she wanted to leave?

I don't disagree with this. BB walking off willingly, and having not been seen or heard from for this long seems like the least likely scenario. It is, however, not an impossibility, however remote the chances are. The angry reaction from the mods of the FB page, however, seems just a little TOO over the top. Again, that's simply my observation and interpretation of it.

Perhaps I am wrong to compare the two cases... but willing departure is often brought up in regards to John Spira, and his friends and family (excluding the business partner and ex wife, of course) seem more than happy to tell you all of the reasons why they don't believe he left willingly. I understand not believing that a person left willingly... that is completely reasonable. Making the subject verboten, as it were, seems to border on over-reaction... thus arousing my suspicions.

I also think a portion of JW's story could be true, and that Beth could have met with a guy she didn't know well who caused her harm.

Agreed.

I'm having a hard time with some of JW's answers and reactions. Her reactions are not that of fear, worry and concern for Beth. (IMO). She has been TOO talkative about Beths personal life and alleged mistakes when she could have been breif about that to protect Beths family and much more forthcoming about the chain of events that weekend. I can understand an initial reaction of stumbling all over herself but this is going on 8 weeks now. Why hasn't JW been able to gather herself and come up with a reasonable statement answering the majority of the same questions she has been asked since Beth disappeared?

I'll start by saying I don't know JW or BB beyond what we know from Facebook, etc... and I am not attempting in any way to side with JW... that being said...

I don't see, in her behavior, the actions of someone guilty of murder, either. Granted, she could be a sociopath and master manipulator, but her spelling, grammar, and sentence construction don't suggest someone of that intellectual capacity.

Certainly, she doesn't seem to have done much to help, but putting myself in her shoes, I can't say I blame her. Provided she is not involved, criminally, in BB's disappearance, and given the general trend here and on FB of constant insistence that she is the guilty party... I can't really see her getting together with these people for a long intense interrogation about what has happened. They, seemingly, have all already made up their minds, and I can't see what she is going to say to change that.

For the sake of fairness... although no one seems to buy it... I don't find it completely out of the realm of possibility that someone could ask to be dropped off somewhere random and not tell the person exactly why...

If, as some have theorized, these trips were "lost weekends" of partying and extramarital encounters (I did not originate this theory), including illicit and illegal activity, it could have been as easy as, "I'm meeting someone in Centralia, can you drop me off?". It's really not as impossible as everyone insists that JW really doesn't have any answers.

Maybe her statement is, in fact, the absolute truth. What then? If that's all she knows, what could she possibly do to clear herself of suspicion?

I'm not advocating for her innocence... I'm just saying, she has no way of proving that she is being truthful, and, as of yet, aside from her being the last person to see BB alive, there has been nothing else to suggest she is in any way involved in her disappearance beyond the hyperbole being angrily spread by the FB crowd.

R131313, I do not blindly believe the LE is doing everything perfectly, but at the same time, yes they have Jenn's story, but they can't do anything because there is no evidence. Just because the LE hasn't announced anything doesn't necessarily mean there is no urgency or direction. I am sure they suspect foul play, just as they suspect BB just took off. They have no proof...yet.

It could also be said that just because LE often operates outside of the public eye, it does not mean one should assume that anything is being done. We can only speculate...

Another thing one MUST consider in this case, as distasteful as one might find it, is that perhaps the reason the police don't have any evidence against JW is because their really isn't any.

Admittedly, at first, it seemed the obvious way to go with this case... to pin it on JW... but after 8 weeks, it might serve BB best to start considering all the available options.

If, by chance, JW is not involved, this collective single-mindedness only serves to keep the attention off of whoever IS involved.

I don't disagree with this. BB walking off willingly, and having not been seen or heard from for this long seems like the least likely scenario. It is, however, not an impossibility, however remote the chances are. The angry reaction from the mods of the FB page, however, seems just a little TOO over the top. Again, that's simply my observation and interpretation of it.

Perhaps I am wrong to compare the two cases... but willing departure is often brought up in regards to John Spira, and his friends and family (excluding the business partner and ex wife, of course) seem more than happy to tell you all of the reasons why they don't believe he left willingly. I understand not believing that a person left willingly... that is completely reasonable. Making the subject verboten, as it were, seems to border on over-reaction... thus arousing my suspicions.

Agreed.

I'll start by saying I don't know JW or BB beyond what we know from Facebook, etc... and I am not attempting in any way to side with JW... that being said...

I don't see, in her behavior, the actions of someone guilty of murder, either. Granted, she could be a sociopath and master manipulator, but her spelling, grammar, and sentence construction don't suggest someone of that intellectual capacity.

Certainly, she doesn't seem to have done much to help, but putting myself in her shoes, I can't say I blame her. Provided she is not involved, criminally, in BB's disappearance, and given the general trend here and on FB of constant insistence that she is the guilty party... I can't really see her getting together with these people for a long intense interrogation about what has happened. They, seemingly, have all already made up their minds, and I can't see what she is going to say to change that.

For the sake of fairness... although no one seems to buy it... I don't find it completely out of the realm of possibility that someone could ask to be dropped off somewhere random and not tell the person exactly why...

If, as some have theorized, these trips were "lost weekends" of partying and extramarital encounters (I did not originate this theory), including illicit and illegal activity, it could have been as easy as, "I'm meeting someone in Centralia, can you drop me off?". It's really not as impossible as everyone insists that JW really doesn't have any answers.

Maybe her statement is, in fact, the absolute truth. What then? If that's all she knows, what could she possibly do to clear herself of suspicion?

I'm not advocating for her innocence... I'm just saying, she has no way of proving that she is being truthful, and, as of yet, aside from her being the last person to see BB alive, there has been nothing else to suggest she is in any way involved in her disappearance beyond the hyperbole being angrily spread by the FB crowd.

I fully agree with your post. I do not know JW, Beth or any of the players in the case either. BBM. My opinion only, JW could request a poly be taken and make the results public. She could also willingly submit her phone records to LE. Perhaps LE could make a statement from there - even to reiterate JW is not a POI or suspect and is fully cooperating with the investigation. I am sure some of the suspicion arises from the lack of any statement from LE.

I do agree JW is getting an unfair lashing on the FB page.
She does deserve the right to speak and for people to remember:
she has not been named a suspect or person of interest in Beth's disappearance. This is also one reason we at WS try to keep it very clear what is rumor and what can be sourced as fact. I know Tricia gets threatened with libel suits often, so we do have to be cautious in how we present our opinion and facts/rumor/theories.

I think it is also possible IF Beth is out there, ok and aware of all of the attention to her missing persons case as well as what has been alleged about her personal life it may make it VERY difficult to find a way to make contact and call home, or call LE. Her business is all over the internet right now, with attention she probably would not have expected or wished, if say she just took off for a fun weekend which turned into longer and then even longer based on what she may be reading online. It would be difficult to come back to that and rebuild upon it. Especially not seeing much plea for a safe return no matter what from her husband and family, and friends.

One last thought on the FB page, kind of too many hands in the pot. It would be so much better to have ONE designated family spokesperson, similiar to how Shelia Bradley has been the main family spokesperson for the Diamond and Tionda Bradley case, and how John Spira's sister has been for Johns case. I've read some there but have not posted.

JMO

OT - have you ever looked at John Spira's thread here r131313?

It could also be said that just because LE often operates outside of the public eye, it does not mean one should assume that anything is being done. We can only speculate...

Another thing one MUST consider in this case, as distasteful as one might find it, is that perhaps the reason the police don't have any evidence against JW is because their really isn't any.

Admittedly, at first, it seemed the obvious way to go with this case... to pin it on JW... but after 8 weeks, it might serve BB best to start considering all the available options.

If, by chance, JW is not involved, this collective single-mindedness only serves to keep the attention off of whoever IS involved.

BBM. EXACTLY! We don't want to get tunnel visioned on one theory and one theory only.

JMO

Friendly reminder. It is against WS TOS to sleuth a minor. We do allow one exception if the minor is a missing child.
Outside of that NO sleuthing minors.

Thank you
Cubby

Actually, Dr Black studies suggest more psychopaths come from impoverished background, are uneducated low-class misfits. Although not all psychocpaths are the high school drop outs, many have professional careers, from any social class.

1 in every 25-30 you know today are psychopath, I believe Hare states it is more prevalent than depression, schizophrenia and BPD

Hare also states another characteristic is their unusual word usage, because they can't distinguish between neutral and emotional words.

Psychopaths will not only deny the past and trivialize it, but will avoid answering your questions directly, and even if they seem to answer them you can be sure that it's not the answer you were looking for. It has been said that even when they do give you a straight answer, the real issue will never be addressed by them, although they may even claim to be honourable when it suits them. But don't be fooled, for this is where the psychopath wants his victim he wants to shame you while at the same time fitting you into his plans; this is because "psychopaths show a stunning lack of concern for the devastating effects their actions have on others." R. Hare

When caught in a lie or challenged with the truth, they are seldom perplexed or embarrassed they simply change their stories or attempt to rework the facts so that they appear to be consistent with the lie. R. Hare

I suggest this book if you want to read more about forensic psychology I have marked it on Hare's chapter to open, but the whole book is very good read

http://books.google.com/books?id=9a8JBTvmlI4C&pg=PA107&lpg=PA107&dq=Hare,+R.+(1996)+Psychopathy:+A+clinical+construct+whose+time+has+come.+Criminal+Justice+and+Behavior&source=bl&ots=OlONdIOzna&sig=qHgmD2xBaKJAX7f55xXNCT3cFAo&hl=en&ei=P7w-TMH0EcSDnQechMnVBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Has there been any statement from the LE since the beginning of this case? I have looked and can't find a thing.

I feel like this case is already cold and I doubt the LE will have anything to say at the fundraiser.

If we do not get a statement from the LE soon this thread will begin to sound like "Groundhog Day".

Right now all we have is suspicions, innuendoes, and fund-raising.

Makes one wonder who the LE is watching... Are they watching JW, RR, or are they watching someone completely different? At this point I hope they are at least doing something.

MOO.

BTW

Why isn't Beth listed on the IL State Police Endangered Missing?

http://www.isp.state.il.us/crime/missing.cfm

She is listed on the Woodstock Missing Persons.... but ...

http://www.woodstock-il.com/index.a...E4}&DE={C12513A5-59C6-47AB-80F5-234CC64D955B}

The ISP doesn't really maintain it's online missing persons list.
There are a whole 9 missing persons cases listed on the ISP.
Clearly not a 'source' when looking for missing persons databases imo.

As long as Beth is listed on the Woodstock police site,
in NCIC and places like NamUS her case will be fine.

I haven't found her case listed on NAMPN
http://www.nampn.org/

or
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/index.php

Charley Project does not list cases until they are 6 months old.

Sadly we have missing persons cases here over 50 years old.
I'm positive Beths case will be resolved long before it is considered a 'cold case'.

JMO

... (LE) are the ONLY ones who have JW's official story first hand. They don't seem to be reacting with any urgency or real direction. ... the constant censorship of any theory other than JW did it, just doesn't sit right with me ...

While I agree that LE probably heard it first-hand from JW, we don't know what JW told SB before LE was contacted that first Monday night. So, LE heard something first-hand, but LE may not have heard it first.

...Here's another thing, if Beth was dropped off to meet this "unknown" boyfriend, and by Sunday night, Beth didn't call Jenn to pick her up, and Beth didn't show up at RR home, then did JW call Beth's phone, repeatidly, to find out where she was? Did she honestly just get in the rental car and drive back without a care in the world where her best friend was?...

What if the plan of Beth and JW was to meet back in northern Illinois, near Woodstock, on Monday afternoon? JW would not have missed Beth until she wasn't at the meeting point. And JW couldn't have answered calls from Beth's family on Monday in the car, because Beth wouldn't have been in the car to talk to them.

Going back to JW's 'story' about taking the train.

Why did JW initially tell LE that Beth was going to take the train back to Chicago. I mean, she TOLD LE this. ... When did she finally tell LE the the story she initially gave them about making plans for Beth to take a train was untrue?

Only the Woodstock Police (WPD) know "exactly" what JW told them on Monday night, May 24.

A May 27 posting on the Crime Stoppers Cases/ Press Releases/ Crime Alerts page of the WPD website reads, in part, "Beth Bentley was reportedly last seen in Centralia, Illlinois boarding a train bound for Chicago..."

Then a June 9 posting on the Crime Stoppers Cases/ Press Releases/ Crime Alerts page of the Woodstock Police Dept. website reads, in part, "On 5-23-10 at approximately 1730 hours she (Beth) was dropped off at the Centralia Illinois train station to board a 1800 hours train bound to Chicago with a final destination of Woodstock Illinois."

And then the story changed to Beth was dropped off "near" the train station. It's probably too late now, if JW has been back to that area in the past seven weeks, but what if a detective and JW were in a car tomorrow and the detective said, "OK, follow the same route that Beth and you took to the area of the Centralia train station and back."

Here's another question: Who drove the rental car to the train station? Has that ever been stated? Did they even go in the rental car?

... I know for fact the 4:15 call that BB made to SB sunday was from Mt Vernon too. ...

Large sums of money, most of this money they know where it went. Some of it has already been posted here let just say BB was a VERY good friend to JW, and a few others too. Most of that money is accounted for :(

About the 4:15PM call. It is claimed that Beth called SB about 4:15PM on Sunday. All that can be proven is that a call was placed from Beth's phone while it was in Mt. Vernon (unless the SIM card was switched to a different phone). Who received the call? Only SB? Did Beth speak to any other family member during that call? When was the last time that Beth spoke to any other family member or anyone else by phone that week-end?

Who but LE could know from what location a call was placed? And, if LE knows, why is it revealing it to anyone outside of LE?

Beth was reportedly a "serial texter, serial caller". Who did she text/call on Saturday or on Friday?

Are "large sums of money" missing? Has this been reported publicly? How much? From what account(s) is it missing?

The inference in the posting is that Beth gave some of the missing money to JW or spent it for her. And the sad face after "accounted for" causes me to think that, while it might be known where the money went, it is spent and not returnable.

So, what's gone? Where did it go? How long ago did it go?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record regarding the rental car, I'm still not sure how it all fits but my gut feeling is that it does somehow. IF something horrible happened on Sun (after the last known call)... AND the bff knows that the other person is deceased but for whatever reason, wants to detach herself from the situation and not have to face it or deal with it.... AND she has other modes of transportation home, WHY drive the rental car home? Why not just ditch it somewhere? I wonder too if there was a plan to meet up somewhere on Monday and we just haven't heard about it.

What if the plan of Beth and JW was to meet back in northern Illinois, near Woodstock, on Monday afternoon? JW would not have missed Beth until she wasn't at the meeting point. And JW couldn't have answered calls from Beth's family on Monday in the car, because Beth wouldn't have been in the car to talk to them.

Possible. If so wouldn't JW have calls to Beth's phone which could be pinged to determine from where and at what time JW was trying to contact Beth to determine why she didn't make it to the meeting point on Monday? JW could offer those records to LE. This could help substantiate her story of what happened that weekend.

Do we even know JW tried to contact Beth between the time she claims to have dropped her off at or near the train station and the time JW returned the rental car? Do we even know there was a meet up time?

... It just seems very eeeeery that the same exact picture of JW & BB in one of the four Match.com photos is the one & same exact picture JW has on her FB profile main page picture.

I too think it is very strange that single woman on a popular dating website would post a photo of her with a friend who was married, a family person, mother of three kids at home and wife of a local attorney. And even stranger that Beth would permit that, if she knew about it.

The photo is not a particularly flattering picture of Beth, IMO. If that is what she looks like day-to-day, that's the photo (cropped) that should be on all the missing-person fliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrebano