Found Deceased IL - Benedetta 'Beth' Bentley, 41, Mount Vernon, 23 May 2010 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For weeks there has been curiosity about why JW didn't rent the car in Woodstock. It's because she didn't have a valid driver's license. Car rental places are fussy about little things like that.

JW got a ticket near Woodstock on June 23 for driving without a driver's license. Her California D/L had expired last November.

Hi CuriousOne2,
Welcome to WS. It sounds like you may know the parties involved to know that JW's DL was expired or perhaps you found a link for this? If so, please add the link or please make sure you are verified by Tricia, the owner of WS if you have first hand knowledge of information which can't be linked but you know the players. Tricia's post explaining verification is in the first post in this thread.

If true, that is an interesting fact regarding the DL. A little personal experience in that area. I've known of this happening, and last I knew, many years ago, in IL if someone is pulled over and their license has expired more than 6 months earlier they need to be bailed out of jail. I don't recall the exact details or statute, but my insurance agent shared that with me many years ago.

Interesting, depending on when in NOV JW's licensed expired, it would have been possibly after that 6 month mark the weekend BB went missing. It may just be an odd coincidence put tossing the info out here.

Cubby

How many times has any of us loaned a car to a friend and asked if the friend has a driver's license? I think that most just assume that, if a person we know well asks to borrow our car, we just fork over the keys.

Maybe no longer... Remember, you don't need a driver's license to drive a car. What you need, is a car.

This thing is almost like working a jigsaw puzzle that doesn't have a picture on either side. :banghead:

I think people might only ask if they are insured or have full coverage, if they ask. In this case BB knew JW had moved from California and would by law have to change her DL from Cali to IL in a specific amount of time. Especially working for an atty. Maybe there is a reason JW would not have or not been able to have it renewed or transfered? Just speculation again, but tossing it onto the table.

Cubby

Do you have a link to back up the statement there is no LE involvement and NO family involvement? Because we as civilians are not privy to the case file and every detail of every step SB is making. That not being shared with the public does not, imo, equal no involvement. If you are going to make a statement such as NO LE or family involvement, it needs to be backed up with a link supporting the fact.

TIA

Cubby

I think sad is just refering to the fact that noone has been in the media trying to get the word out. I can't even find anything since right after she went missing. I think the lack of a link pretty much sums up everything I could not find.

I think people might only ask if they are insured or have full coverage, if they ask. In this case BB knew JW had moved from California and would by law have to change her DL from Cali to IL in a specific amount of time. Especially working for an atty. Maybe there is a reason JW would not have or not been able to have it renewed or transfered? Just speculation again, but tossing it onto the table.

Cubby

IMO.... BB would have known JW didn't have a valid license. They were best friends. She knew JW had moved here from California, and more than likely knew she had no IL license.

I thought that was the reason she (BB) had to do the car rental, JW couldn't without a valid licenses.

That being said, BB more than likly didn't know at that time anyone other than herself would be driving the car. JW didn't like to drive according to what was said, so it wouldn't have mattered to BB that she didn't have a license.

BB didn't know she would not be the one returning the car! That decision was not hers. JMO

Do you have a link to back up the statement there is no LE involvement and NO family involvement? Because we as civilians are not privy to the case file and every detail of every step SB is making. That not being shared with the public does not, imo, equal no involvement. If you are going to make a statement such as NO LE or family involvement, it needs to be backed up with a link supporting the fact.

TIA

Cubby

Sorry Cubby, what I should have said was no reports in the media that I have seen recently of LE or family involvement. I will edit my post.

I think sad is just refering to the fact that noone has been in the media trying to get the word out. I can't even find anything since right after she went missing. I think the lack of a link pretty much sums up everything I could not find.

EXACTLY what I meant! Thanks!

IMO.... BB would have known JW didn't have a valid license. They were best friends. She knew JW had moved here from California, and more than likely knew she had no IL license.

I thought that was the reason she (BB) had to do the car rental, JW couldn't without a valid licenses.

That being said, BB more than likly didn't know at that time anyone other than herself would be driving the car. JW didn't like to drive according to what was said, so it wouldn't have mattered to BB that she didn't have a license.

BB didn't know she would not be the one returning the car! That decision was not hers. JMO

I completely agree with you. It is my opinion that something happened on Sunday night after BB made the last phone call to her husband, SB. What happened, who knows, but ... I believe JW & RR know exactly where BB is. At first I was sure that Beth was no longer alive, but now, I think there may be a possibility that BB may have gone into hiding. Notice how none of her girlfriends in the FB pictures are talking on FB? Why do you think that is? They aren't even on there praying for her safe return. RCM has made a few posts, regarding the fundraiser, but that's it. It's my opinion that maybe they do know secrets that they don't want to expose on FB. Could it be possible that BB was depressed and taking drugs? Could it be that she told a friend or two that she hated her life and wanted to start over? If that is true, that would explain why there is little to no media coverage, no family on TV pleading to find BB, no searches (that we know of), no new information released. They stated on FB that JW is not a suspect. That may be because they don't have evidence to charge her, or, maybe the LE has been told by family & friends that BB had a lot of issues going on and they think she may have taken off. Who knows, it's all so confusing. These are just the things that go through my mind when I think about this case. I just don't get why the friends aren't talking.

The 'no news blues'. I hear you guys, I really do. Especially after having focused much of my time at WS on the cold cases and older cases. By my mentioning that in no way did I mean to imply in any way one or the other is any more or less important.

the waiting can be frustating for us, who are mere advocates for the missing. With all do respect, at times like this, the goal should be to focus on ensuring Beth is not forgotten and her name, face and the circumstances known to be proven or disproven should be readily available.

I have a few idea's to put on the table as for idea's with progressing the search. I also would like to exemplify on the point that a foot search is only *part* of a search effort for a missing person.

Some idea's would be finding ways to add to the funds for increasing exposure by making available more billboards, or spending time to solicit donation of billboard use.
"study" other cases to learn more about what worked, what did not work. IIRC Lisa Stebics family or family spokesperson had her missing persons info on a Jumbo Tron at one of the major sporting events. It might have been a White Sox game. Missing girls Tionda and Diamond Bradleys family had something similiar done via the Chicago Bulls.

Beth went missing from Southern IL. The media focus, imo, should be there, and up north, but the main efforts in Southern IL.

In John Spira's case, the family had a huge vinyl banner made - several feet long and viewable to drivers directly across from the last known place he was seen.

It is important to get a business owners permission before putting up fliers. In some cases.....

There are so many proactive and productive things to do, more will follow this thread, and participate when the majority of the discussion is 'proactive' rather than complaining all the time. By no means am I discouraging venting - within TOS.... but SB is in a position few of us find ourselves in and wouldn't wish to find ourselves in. All while having to maintain his business AND care for 3 children. If the man is at a loss, what is going to help? Complaining about his actions or seeking various avenues which might help him. What have other family members with missing persons done. There are too many to list, but a general area here at WS is our Lighting the Way home area which lists numerous resources for the family and those sleuthing.

I hope this helps....

There is enough interest in Beths case, imo, she will not be forgotten.
Waiting stinks sometimes, but turn that anger and frustration into doing something positive. I do that sometimes... I get that I'll be damned if this missing person will be forgotten.

Also keep in mind. Too many hands in the pot is not necessarily a good thing and can quite possibly result in the opposite of what one desires.

Sometimes the best we can do outside of keeping the missing persons info available to as many as possible is to find reasonable facts to the table for LE once we can find enough supporting info to make those leads worthwhile for LE to pursue. I personally prefer that approach over tossing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

JMO
Respectfully,
Cubby

I completely agree with you. It is my opinion that something happened on Sunday night after BB made the last phone call to her husband, SB. What happened, who knows, but ... I believe JW & RR know exactly where BB is. At first I was sure that Beth was no longer alive, but now, I think there may be a possibility that BB may have gone into hiding. Notice how none of her girlfriends in the FB pictures are talking on FB? Why do you think that is? They aren't even on there praying for her safe return. RCM has made a few posts, regarding the fundraiser, but that's it. It's my opinion that maybe they do know secrets that they don't want to expose on FB. Could it be possible that BB was depressed and taking drugs? Could it be that she told a friend or two that she hated her life and wanted to start over? If that is true, that would explain why there is little to no media coverage, no family on TV pleading to find BB, no searches (that we know of), no new information released. They stated on FB that JW is not a suspect. That may be because they don't have evidence to charge her, or, maybe the LE has been told by family & friends that BB had a lot of issues going on and they think she may have taken off. Who knows, it's all so confusing. These are just the things that go through my mind when I think about this case. I just don't get why the friends aren't talking.

I agree with some of this. However I have not followed FB enough to know which of Beths friends are or are not actively participating in actively searching. They may simply not be 'online' people. Not everyone is..... I don't recall noticing a lot of interaction on FB between BB and her friends prior to Beths disappearance so that doesn't stand out to me.

I do think the time frame is wider than we have looked at. We keep focusing on the 4-7pm or so on Sunday. when in reality things could have been fine until sometime Monday, no? IMO the open timeframe is between that 4pm or so call, and when JW left to go back home.

JMO

I want to point out also, that a lot of people my age and older aren't on Facebook. We grew up as kids without computers or Internet (although I grew up with computers, my parents were educators, so we had computers from an early age. I was the only one though).

My friends that have busy lives do not spend time on the computer at all. They are more likely to diddle with an Iphone or Droid but not use it for Facebook. I wouldn't read too much into the silence on Facebook. These are people in their mid-forties. Unless someone is like me and disabled, where the computer is a way to force yourself to sit and take a break, often times the computer is for single people or people out looking for trouble(e.g. a online hookup), or to play games. Not to generalize, but I do live in the general area she is from and this is how the people I am in contact with are.

I do agree with part of what you said. Something happened after the phone call, and that JW and RR know what happened.

I don't agree that she is in hiding. If she did have some kind of issues, depression, marital, drugs, etc., wouldn't her family know? I don't think she would just disappear and leave her family guessing as to where she was. You wouldn't do that to the little boy. The older ones and the husband might understand, but not the youngest one. They all said she was crazy about her family.

As for JW or anyone not being named as suspect, maybe there just isn't enough evidence at this point. Maybe they are waiting for the right time!

I am not sure about the friends not talking. Could they have been told to keep quiet and calm down with all the talk. They were being pretty mean and demanding at times. Maybe they want to stay in touch with certain people in hopes that person will give up more than they have at this point. Just a thought. JMO

Since things are being thrown on the table, what about this.

Maybe Beth checked into a drug treatment facility?

If Beth checked in on her own and didn't want anyone to know she was there. The facility would not be allowed to release any information to anyone due to privacy rules. HIPAA

Maybe after 90 days, Beth will mysteriously come home??

What people do as and after they withdraw may influence chance of successful discontinuation. Most people are helped if they can live in a treatment facility for several months. Usually, doctors recommend at least three months and some suggest that six months is the optimum length of stay for heroin treatment. Some people will obviously not be able to stay this long in a facility, and if they are motivated they still can end addiction to the drug, especially if they work with narcotics anonymous groups or other outside groups for drug addicts.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-i-choose-the-best-heroin-treatment.htm

If Beth checked in on her own and didn't want anyone to know she was there. The facility would not be allowed to release any information to anyone due to privacy rules. HIPAA

If this were true, do you think they would be organizing this fund raiser, billboards, posters, etc.? Someone would have to know she planned to do this. Best friend, husband, someone. I don't think that no one would know. Like I said, the youngest son would have to be told something. He is begging for his mom and missing her so much, I just don't think she would do that to him. If she needed help, wouldn't it be easier to just say so than to disappear? I just don't think you would allow everyone all this heartache and pain. JMO

Those kind of treatment facilities cost big bucks, some $500.00 a day. Wont insurance only pay 14 days "in treatment".

Some heated discussion going on fb between JW and SG. It is under a post made by JW's sister LW.

It is down the page on the wall a little bit in the comments under a post made by JW's sister LW. You will need to click on the "View all Comments" link to open it and read them.

Okay found it, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member