Found Deceased IL - Benedetta 'Beth' Bentley, 41, Mount Vernon, 23 May 2010 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about JW's statements on June 10 that Beth never intended to spend the whole week-end with her, and the plan was never to take the train? It would be interesting to know where JW's story changed from "take the train" (if it ever was that) to "never intended to take the train" (June 10 (or earlier?)).

There is, of course, no way to know that what JW said on June 10th was even true. It's just what was said.

I don't recall JW stating Beth never intended to take the train. Did JW say that somewhere?
I think we've all come to the conclusion we can't rely on the accuracy of JW's statements so we need to explore other avenues.

jmo

Cubby - VERY possible....
If I remember correctly, doesn't JW have quite a bit of family in the California and Las Vegas area? Wonder if anyone has checked with them?

Wife and I rode Amtrak from Effingham to Chicago a couple of months back. We had e-ticket. Nobody asked for ID.

and an e ticket could have been arranged on someone elses phone other than Beths?....... It would be interesting to know if LE ruled out an E ticket being purchased on JW's, SS's, NR's or RR's phone. I hope those possibilities are being explored.

jmo

Cubby - VERY possible....
If I remember correctly, doesn't JW have quite a bit of family in the California and Las Vegas area? Wonder if anyone has checked with them?

California yes, Vegas I don't know.

and an e ticket could have been arranged on someone elses phone other than Beths?....... It would be interesting to know if LE ruled out an E ticket being purchased on JW's, SS's, NR's or RR's phone. I hope those possibilities are being explored.

jmo

Still, the website said we'd be asked for ID, and we weren't. I also observed people getting on and paying cash, w/o ID.

Sloppy procedures, I guess.

IMO it is possible he met her either at the Chicago or Woodstock train stations.

Not only an RSO but kidnapping charges. :furious:

Odd LE would say they could not place Beth on the train.
Especially if LE knows (if the following is true) that JW and BB lied about where they were going and said they were going to be in WI rather than Southern IL.

IMO it is reasonable to believe if they were lying to cover going to southern IL it is reasonable to believe Beth boarded a train 'laying low' to not attract attention to herself. I've never been on an amtrak so I know nothing about what they look like inside and how easy it would be to keep oneself semi hidden from view while on the train.

I'd like to know where this guy was from the time the train from Centralia arrived in Chicago early Monday am.

He's reportedly married. Could he have snuck out the house while his wife was sleeping to meet Beth? certainly.

I hope LE is watching this guy closely.

I am going to comment before reading the rest. But, I have taken the train from both St. Louis and Centralia. I have no idea how many times. Not as much from Centralia. I have taken this same train, but, only on weekdays.

There have never been many getting on. Never many on train. And I don't remember ever showing id on the train, and this is more than once, LOL, since 911.

The last time I took the train at Centralia, I picked up my ticket at a travel agency in Centralia near the station. I can't swear I did not, but, I don't believe I showed id. I reserved online and picked up there. I believe I had a printed email to show, but that could be misremembering.

There have never been many folks on the train. I boarded, found a seat and later conductor comes by, takes ticket, took part off and gave back. I normally throw these away after home, get cc statement, all is well.

I have always thought you could pay cash on board, but,I have never done so. I have paid cash on board Metra's in Chicago and never had to show ID. I last rode a Metra this past May, and paid cash on board with no ID.

The very last time I got the train to Chicago in Centralia, I got off in Bloomington. I had no interaction with other people no train other than happening to make eye contract with a few as they passed me either getting on or off and just a nod. I sincerely doubt that if LE had somehow come to me days later and ask me about any I could have helped, and, I fancy myself a good witness.

I have wondered since day one - how on earth they do know if she was on or off the train. But, then again,I have always wondered why someone would drop a BFF off at the Centralia station and just leave them as it is a pretty desolate place, in MOO, and I have seen IDC drop off inmates/former inmates/whatever (and they wait till they are on the train) so DH always waits with me, and we sit in the car.

Oh, and Cubby, re hiding - you don't really, but if the train is pretty empty, and the ones from Centralia in my experience are normally (as opposed to earlier in the day/early morning from St. Louis - they get pretty crowded in my experience and likely you will have someone sitting next to you before long for at least some of the way to Chicago, in my experience again, a lot of folks board in St. Louis and various points along the way and at Joliet a lot get off, I have had a lot of seat mates going to visit family at the prison - oh the stories I have ended up hearing!). I think by nature, if we can, we like space. I will find a seat well away from others and only see folks going past me to get on or off. And the conductor once or twice. After you deal with him once, you can turn and look out the window and really not see anyone else on board. I think when able people tend to leave each other alone.

Cubby and Wordfella,

You are both right.
Two separate convictions. 1 for 10years, 1 for 4years. Perhaps to run simultaneously.

IF BB or "anyone else" was actually in Union Station, there would be proof on video. After 9/11, that stations security would have been beefed up due to possible terrorism target. There is no way BB or anyone else walked through that station, and was not recorded on video.

Just my very strong opinion.

Now, what information or video LE has or has not, well..... we know the answer to that-they are not saying.

When you buy a ticket for the train you have to give your name. When I worked as a travel agent, they required legal names of passengers when making reservations. Amtrak should have a passenger list. IMO I don't think Beth boarded any train. Even if she was trying to keep a low profile she would have been noticed, her bag alone would have stuck out to someone. The whole call to the pizza place and the time she would of had to be in Centraila to board the train just don't add up. I wonder do police have the content of the text messages sent between BB and SS? If he was using a cell phone he could be pinged too. He sounds like a horrible person. I pray for some answers soon. I can't imagine what those poor kids and her husband are going through.

You give your name, but, I don't recall ever showing ID. I normally have paid with a cc or dc, but, I also think in the past I have paid cash for a ticket at the station in St. Louis.

But, I don't know what you do when you pay cash on board the train. I never had done that on Amtrak. On Merta - you don't give name or ID.

I am going to comment before reading the rest. But, I have taken the train from both St. Louis and Centralia. I have no idea how many times. Not as much from Centralia. I have taken this same train, but, only on weekdays.

There have never been many getting on. Never many on train. And I don't remember ever showing id on the train, and this is more than once, LOL, since 911.

The last time I took the train at Centralia, I picked up my ticket at a travel agency in Centralia near the station. I can't swear I did not, but, I don't believe I showed id. I reserved online and picked up there. I believe I had a printed email to show, but that could be misremembering.

There have never been many folks on the train. I boarded, found a seat and later conductor comes by, takes ticket, took part off and gave back. I normally throw these away after home, get cc statement, all is well.

I have always thought you could pay cash on board, but,I have never done so. I have paid cash on board Metra's in Chicago and never had to show ID. I last rode a Metra this past May, and paid cash on board with no ID.

The very last time I got the train to Chicago in Centralia, I got off in Bloomington. I had no interaction with other people no train other than happening to make eye contract with a few as they passed me either getting on or off and just a nod. I sincerely doubt that if LE had somehow come to me days later and ask me about any I could have helped, and, I fancy myself a good witness.

I have wondered since day one - how on earth they do know if she was on or off the train. But, then again,I have always wondered why someone would drop a BFF off at the Centralia station and just leave them as it is a pretty desolate place, in MOO, and I have seen IDC drop off inmates/former inmates/whatever (and they wait till they are on the train) so DH always waits with me, and we sit in the car.

Oh, and Cubby, re hiding - you don't really, but if the train is pretty empty, and the ones from Centralia in my experience are normally (as opposed to earlier in the day/early morning from St. Louis - they get pretty crowded in my experience and likely you will have someone sitting next to you before long for at least some of the way to Chicago, in my experience again, a lot of folks board in St. Louis and various points along the way and at Joliet a lot get off, I have had a lot of seat mates going to visit family at the prison - oh the stories I have ended up hearing!). I think by nature, if we can, we like space. I will find a seat well away from others and only see folks going past me to get on or off. And the conductor once or twice. After you deal with him once, you can turn and look out the window and really not see anyone else on board. I think when able people tend to leave each other alone.

THANK you for this info!!!!! I have never taken a train.

grapes is it possible Beth could have boarded the amtrak and given a name other than her own? Amtraks web page for the Centralia station indicates the station is not open on Sundays thus she would have had to purchase a ticket from the conductor after she boarded.

What kind of proof would Amtrak require to validate the name she gave was her own? and is it possible the conductor would not have asked for legal id like they do when boarding a plane?

tia

We were always instructed to ask for their photo ID..it had to be valid and a Government issued ID..such as drivers license or state ID card or a military ID. No ss cards, library cards..etc..had to have a photo. I am not sure how strict they are at the station. The few times we have taken the train from STL to CHI they have asked me for my ID when I went to the ticket counter. I am not sure but I didn't think you could buy a ticket from the conductor (I am not sure of this), maybe in small towns, usually you have to book online or call the 800 number..since the 9/11 stuff ALOT changed. They require legal names for a passenger list that includes seating info..this is in case of a emergency say a derailment and there are casulties they can identify who was on board. I would think if Beth bought a ticket from the conductor he would have remembered her. JMO..

We were always instructed to ask for their photo ID..it had to be valid and a Government issued ID..such as drivers license or state ID card or a military ID. No ss cards, library cards..etc..had to have a photo. I am not sure how strict they are at the station. The few times we have taken the train from STL to CHI they have asked me for my ID when I went to the ticket counter. I am not sure but I didn't think you could buy a ticket from the conductor (I am not sure of this), maybe in small towns, usually you have to book online or call the 800 number..since the 9/11 stuff ALOT changed. They require legal names for a passenger list that includes seating info..this is in case of a emergency say a derailment and there are casulties they can identify who was on board. I would think if Beth bought a ticket from the conductor he would have remembered her. JMO..

Wow, I have never had an assigned seat on the trains to Chicago. From Chicago out East (on Amtrak) I have had an assigned seat, but, never sat in after the conductor did the first ticket check. I went to bar car and stayed there till I got off (I never went all the way to East Coast or was on more than 3 hours. )

IF BB or "anyone else" was actually in Union Station, there would be proof on video. After 9/11, that stations security would have been beefed up due to possible terrorism target. There is no way BB or anyone else walked through that station, and was not recorded on video.

Just my very strong opinion.

Now, what information or video LE has or has not, well..... we know the answer to that-they are not saying.

likely but based on our knowledge of post 9/11 security do we really want to use that as a rule out? How many times does LE make grainy video available requesting the public to id a suspect or person of interest in a crime?

While I am not sure it is likely, if what was said about SS pressuring and being concerned about BOTH of them coming clean to their spouses there was surely a reason why SS wouldn't just go ahead and tell his wife himself regardless of what BB decided regarding telling her husband.

Pure speculation, but we do not yet have an alibi for SS after his wife fell asleep. I don't know if he may have driven from Woodstock to Chicago to pick Beth up. Maybe that was the plan.... JW knew BB made arrangements to get back to Chicago and the train story was planned between them as a cover so JW wasn't concerned until late Monday evening after she knew Beth was officially reported as missing.

SB knowing nothing about a train ride understandable.
JW and BB concocting a story until JW believed BB was due to arrive home and avoid calls to her while she was covering, reasonable.

IMO we would be foolish to not explore all possibilities.

IMO there is a reason why SS was so adament about Beth telling her DH. What was it and why couldn't he have just told his wife without being concerned what BB decided? What reason would prevent him from telling his wife if BB was not going to tell SB?

JMO

I have never traveled from a small town station, so I can not speak on how they conduct their boarding. Most of the trains that run short routes sometimes do not require exact seating. It has been a few years since I booked Amtrak. I only really do specialized packages and group travel. Usually you are booked first class or coach. For legal reasons they are required to have a passenger manifest. Now again I can not say how strict some stations verify info. Here in St Louis I was asked for my ID when I checked in, could have just been the window attendant too who knows. I always tell my clients to be prepared to show ID no matter the mode of transportation. You are right Cubby security video leaves alot to be desired..considering the advanced technology available today and that is the best they have! SAD!!!

Maybe I should have put 720 ILCS 5/11-9.1 in a separate post, and not under conviction #2. Someone was asking what the exact statute was.
:waitasec:

There seems to be some confusion when stating which charges SS was sentenced for and which were dismissed.

When discussing the online court records there MUST be a link to support the data being posted EACH AND EVERY time it is posted.

We need to do this so we are not posting libelous information for charges which were dismissed by the courts.

Any post discussing court records without a link directly to the court records being discussed will be removed by a moderator without notice to the member.

Please do not post without a link.

I am spending too much time editing mistated posts where charges are being discussed as having received a sentence when they were dismissed charges.

thank you
Cubby

likely but based on our knowledge of post 9/11 security do we really want to use that as a rule out? How many times does LE make grainy video available requesting the public to id a suspect or person of interest in a crime?

While I am not sure it is likely, if what was said about SS pressuring and being concerned about BOTH of them coming clean to their spouses there was surely a reason why SS wouldn't just go ahead and tell his wife himself regardless of what BB decided regarding telling her husband.

Pure speculation, but we do not yet have an alibi for SS after his wife fell asleep. I don't know if he may have driven from Woodstock to Chicago to pick Beth up. Maybe that was the plan.... JW knew BB made arrangements to get back to Chicago and the train story was planned between them as a cover so JW wasn't concerned until late Monday evening after she knew Beth was officially reported as missing.

SB knowing nothing about a train ride understandable.
JW and BB concocting a story until JW believed BB was due to arrive home and avoid calls to her while she was covering, reasonable.

IMO we would be foolish to not explore all possibilities.

IMO there is a reason why SS was so adament about Beth telling her DH. What was it and why couldn't he have just told his wife without being concerned what BB decided? What reason would prevent him from telling his wife if BB was not going to tell SB?

JMO

It wasn't a sexual romp that happened once or twice between Beth & SS. It was going on for months. So....it is possible that SS fell in love with Beth and wanted each to leave their spouse so they could be together. Now, since Beth was resisting his request for so long, why would he tell his wife if she wasn't going to tell her husband?

Like you said earlier, you can't see Beth leaving the current life she was living, to be with him. So he may have been trying to convince Beth to leave SB and be with him. Maybe she didn't feel the same way he did. Maybe she regretted ever sleeping with him knowing that IF it got out, the repercussions would be huge.

Just speculating

Wow, I have never had an assigned seat on the trains to Chicago. From Chicago out East (on Amtrak) I have had an assigned seat, but, never sat in after the conductor did the first ticket check. I went to bar car and stayed there till I got off (I never went all the way to East Coast or was on more than 3 hours. )

A little info about the train. My father is a conductor on Amtrak and actually works on this particular train. When I first heard about Beth I asked him about it. Although he did not work on the day that she was said to have boarded in Centralia, I had him check with his fellow conductors. He told me she DID NOT get on the train. This is coming from the Amtrak employees. As far as the possibility of being overlooked or hiding on an empty train car....I will check with my dad, but I highly doubt it. I have ridden the train many times and generally if there is an empty car, the conductors use it for themselves. He has worked this train for over 20 years so if anyone has any questions about Amtrak, let me know and I will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove