IL IL - Dermot Kelly, 16, Oglesby, Jan 1972

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Happy Thanksgiving to All!

As you all know, Dermot's case is always tucked away in the back of my mind, because I grew up motivated and inspired by empathetic, inspirational people such as he, and several people in my life that were similar to Dermot in personality. OK. I'm obsessed with his case! LOL!

Really, when you think about it and study Dermot's case, he does reflect a sad and emotionally troubled teen that you will remember forever. Going through what we know about his case, I feel it is like we "Know" him even if we didn't "know" him. We could empathize and emotionally reflect on Dermot's quest for finding and seeking a better life of peace, love, and freedom, away from the home-life and school life that tore him apart.

Thanksgiving is a time for giving and being thankful for what we have, caring about each other. Dermot, I believe, sought within his heart those who believed in him, were willing to listen, help and learn about the life he wanted without criticism. Dermot's love of music, and interest in the hippie movement shows a kind, caring, loving man, who would be immensely thankful and grateful to be giving the chance to be loved and to find peace.

Holidays are a time when I think about Dermot the most. In his studies of the hippie movement and music of the late 60's, I would like to present a tribute to Dermot this Thanksgiving Day by linking to the song, "United We Stand" by "Brotherhood of Man." The words reflected in this song are so inspirational and so movingly powerful, in working to achieve peace and harmony throughout the world.

I think whatever happened to Dermot, or wherever he is right now, the words and music of this song emphasize and empathize exactly the kind of qualities and life that Dermot wanted in his quest to start a new life:

Peace be with you Dermot on this Thanksgiving Day:

United We Stand - Brotherhood of Man - YouTube

Satch

There are definitely some kids that would be better on their own - and by on their own I mean like in college - still "taken care of" by parents (ie some financial help). I talked to my fam once a week, the right amount to keep us all getting along. I did not get along with my mom at all until I left home. If only he waited two more years!

There are definitely some kids that would be better on their own - and by on their own I mean like in college - still "taken care of" by parents (ie some financial help). I talked to my fam once a week, the right amount to keep us all getting along. I did not get along with my mom at all until I left home. If only he waited two more years!

I feel the same way!

I always believed that Dermot is/was smarter than his years by a long-shot. The dynamics of the family structure in which he was raised, may have worked great for his four other siblings, or maybe not. The problem is that, it wasn't the right environment for Dermot to grow and expand on the things that he believed in and loved.

I think Dermot really wanted to make a positive difference to help those in need, but in order to fulfill those dreams, in his heart, and mind, he had to leave. Staying in such a rigid and strict home, Dermot could not set out to do the things he wanted to do without a constant rejection or resentment from his parents, the church, and the school.

In researching Dermot's family history, I learned that the father was very strict and short-tempered. There could be a possibility that Dermot may have been physically abused and painfully could not wait two more years. I think his father was harsh with him as Dermot became more and more comfortable with a liberal, free-spirited lifestyle. It is possible that the more Dermot moved toward the liberal life and goals he wanted, the further apart those ideas deviated from Kevin Kelly's conservative views as to what he demanded from his son.

For Mr. Kelly to not even include Dermot in his own obituary speaks VOLUMES that even after all these years, there was strong resentment from the father and not even a hint of compassion. Would it had been so terrible for Mr. Kelly to have said in his obit, "Reflecting on my dear son Dermot who is still missing. I hope you have found peace and happiness in your quest for life fulfillment, We miss you, and will always love you."

And somehow I think Dermot would not be surprised at all in being excluded from his Dad's obit. He might have said, "See? After all these years, Dad has never changed." But what's important here is that Dermot, I think would be a great listener or consoler for troubled kids. He could empathize with "Been there" and "done that." He would take the time to understand and help people. I think he would really empathize with troubled kids coming from broken homes.

There's such an uplifting sentiment about Dermot, whom I think would share anything with those who were willing to listen and support his ideas. If he could find people who cared and sought the kind of life that he envisioned for others and himself, I think Dermot and those he helped would endure a friendship of passion, compassion, and love, that would last a lifetime!

Satch

Merry Christmas Dermot! Thanking of you today, and the great empathy, passion, and compassion you have for life, people, and perseverance. Wherever you are, may you be happy and have found peace, where you are forever living carefree. You are very inspirational Dermot, and will always be in my thoughts for the remainder of my life!

Also a very special thank you to all the wonderful people who follow Dermot's case! Thanks for your support!

Jack

Here's a interesting and insightful question about Dermot:

Remember when we've been studying his case, how his teachers said that he was "extremely intelligent but capable of getting better grades?" He had about a B grade average.

I think there is enough circumstantial evidence showing how Dermot sought a life that was totally opposite in so many ways to what his parents and the school had in mind for him, and even demanded of him.

Two resisting opposites rebelling for control:

Parents, Church, and School-The strict Roman Catholic doctrine must be followed, very by the book, direct, do as I say and do as I do.

Dermot= The quiet interoverted hippie type with great empathy passion and wit who loved to question, think philosophically and help those in need, at least would be willing to listen and communicate with those who shared his views. The dreamer the drifter, the perseverer of a better life.

I think that it is possible that teachers may have also had some negativity about Dermot, because he was an intellectual "think outside the box person." I wonder if he could have written compositions for English or creative writing classes that may have questioned some of the values of what the school was teaching?

It could be possible that Dermot would have all the grammar, mechanics, and spelling correct, and his transitions of thought flowed logically, so the teachers and other religious personnel at Saint Bede, might have resented giving him "A's" in things because their way of thinking did not flow with how Dermot thought about what they were teaching.

Maybe Dermot had this B/B+ and maybe an occasional C+ from a really harsh grader, because they sensed opposing views, and maybe "rebellious" views in his writings. There's no evidence that Dermot was a bad kid. However, I think he would be the type who would be honest, truthful, and direct about his feelings. However, I believe that many of those feelings that Dermot may have chosen to speak or write about, may not have been about pleasant or happy things. I don't see him as one to lie, or con, or deceive people.

In researching the Hippie Movement, I learned that progressive followers of a better life are searching for peace, justice, and truth in society. They constantly evaluate, reevaluate, review and contemplate finding truth and searching for answers. This is one reason why I don't believe Dermot staged his disappearance, but that's a story for a future post!

I think there's a very strong truth that when teachers said that "Dermot, the B student was capable of better grades" maybe they were saying that "Dermot isn't writing the type of views and opinions that we want to hear." This poor kid is put down at school for this reason, and likely at home for this and many more reasons.

Have always been very proud and supportive of Dermot in his quest for a better life! In fact, even if a resolution to his case is found, who Dermot is, or was, and his determination and empathy are remarkable for a 16 1/2 year old man! I think Dermot would empathetically and communicably speak with the insights and empathy of a much older person.

Satch

I came across this case while looking into another case. In any case, there is a person with the same name, middle initial and I think the correct age 52-53 NYC. Also another one in a cabin in Maine somewhere. Just thought I would throw that out there for you as I came across some email addresses.

Reading up, attorneys are always ahead of and in control of any "story" - not saying anything bad in regards to the father but family reputations were extremely important in those days. That is a lot of information "given" by the family. I would be curious in the initial questioning if all those things were just speculations in regards to the rifle noticeable missing? The money statement is interesting. If this DK was seeking an alternative lifestyle which obviously was not at all in the social acceptability in those days in a Catholic conservative family and still in those types of families a struggle in this decade though much more widely accepted in todays day overall as a norm. Is it possible DK left and the story was a fabrication to cover for this matter? Just throwing it out there. I hope DK is alive and living a beautiful life - maybe in NY?

One last thing.. while I did find that and I know some of you mentioned Ireland - there are plenty there. But there is a guy on linked in who is high up in the corporate world who works for a company in Ireland. However, he attended college in Illinois. The picture is somewhat striking in comparison to DK actual and age enhancement.

I also believe he may be a doctor but works in the medical field. Truly, the pictures are striking.

Started school in ireland 1973.

One last thing.. while I did find that and I know some of you mentioned Ireland - there are plenty there. But there is a guy on linked in who is high up in the corporate world who works for a company in Ireland. However, he attended college in Illinois. The picture is somewhat striking in comparison to DK actual and age enhancement.

I also believe he may be a doctor but works in the medical field. Truly, the pictures are striking.

Started school in Ireland 1973.

I found a Dermot F. Kelly who is a songwriter in Ireland on Facebook. Would you be able to link to the picture?

Satch

I came across this case while looking into another case. In any case, there is a person with the same name, middle initial and I think the correct age 52-53 NYC. Also another one in a cabin in Maine somewhere. Just thought I would throw that out there for you as I came across some email addresses.

Reading up, attorneys are always ahead of and in control of any "story" - not saying anything bad in regards to the father but family reputations were extremely important in those days. That is a lot of information "given" by the family. I would be curious in the initial questioning if all those things were just speculations in regards to the rifle noticeable missing? The money statement is interesting. If this DK was seeking an alternative lifestyle which obviously was not at all in the social acceptability in those days in a Catholic conservative family and still in those types of families a struggle in this decade though much more widely accepted in todays day overall as a norm. Is it possible DK left and the story was a fabrication to cover for this matter? Just throwing it out there. I hope DK is alive and living a beautiful life - maybe in NY?

Welcome to Demot's case, Walker!

Great thoughts! I have little doubt of Dermot's father insisting to be in control of what went on in the Kelly home, believing that whether or not Dermot staged his disappearance, he HAD to get out of that environment.

However, I don't see Dermot as wanting to pursue a doctor or lawyer career. He would want to be as distant from what his family expected and often demanded as much as possible. Dermot does not strike me as one on a quest for money, fame, and power. He knew the stress and demands of success within his family and it built up as a part of his daily life where he just "couldn't take it anymore." This is the one thing, and probably the only thing that Dermot believed and felt and that his Dad told to reporters on which they could agree. If Dermot is anywhere, I picture him in a cabin someplace, or some rural area. It seems the Hippie Movement, music, writing, and philosophical thought were so much of who Dermot is (or was,) and whom he wanted to become. Respectfully, an introverted, empathetic, outside-the-box, introspective guy like Dermot, wouldn't want to be the social climber or the elitist success driven picture that was his family history.

If Dermot would have wanted the above type of life, he would have likely stayed. However, with his hopes and dreams so opposing and so opposite of family expectations, I can't him setting out for success in a corporate position. Dermot's is likely going to set out to find peace, love, and acceptance, to be free. He seeks a new life alone, or finds some social networks of people who think and feel as he thought.

Dermot could work in a homeless shelter or soup kitchen and seek fulfillment in his quest to help others, because he would find people who cared about him instead of likely stifling his dreams like his father probably did. Remember, he was very often upset and confused by inequalities in society. Family demands on one side. The life he wanted, almost in another place and time that was totally unacceptable to family expectations, (at least "Dad's" expectations,) if not demands.

Dermot could have sought a career as a youth counselor to help kids with the similar pains and set of circumstances that hurt him in his life. He'd be there to listen and help, provided that he would have the confidence that what was doing was not going to be criticized.. It might be hard for Dermot to open up to people for fear of what was probably a lot of rejection and negativity when he spoke within his family. (And maybe at his strictly disciplined Catholic School as well.) The music, readings, and writings of deep philosophical thought, interest in the Hippie Movement, and a quest to help others escape the pain Dermot had in his own life, were his life-long ambitions! Freedom and privacy, while helping others, inspired Dermot, and his love for those things has always had me literally obsessed about his case!

The date of his leaving home, January 30, 1972 is forthcoming and it will be a tough day for me and others involved in his case. Even if closure is found and is negative, (i.e we found out evidence that Dermot has passed away for sure.) I mean, how do you remove that time from your mind? You can't. It's impossible. That's why I hope that some kind of memorial or reflective remembrance could be set up for Dermot! There were great things about him, many inspiring things, and Dermot deserves to be remembered in a positive way.

Satch

Hey All,

Today is the 41st anniversary of Dermot's disappearance, and I wanted to do this commemorative tribute to him:

Dermot,

May you find peace and love on this day, and in your life's journey and your devotion to others in, seeking a better life! You will be forever missed! Wished I could have known you! I will never forget you!

Satch

Dermot Faulkner Kelly

Missing 30 January 1972

DOB: 27 July 1955
Age at time of disappearance: 16
Sex: Male
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Height: 6 ft 0 in. (at 16)
Weight: 150 Pounds (at 16)
Dentals Available and on file
DNA Available
Fingerprints not available

Investigating Agency:

LaSalle County Sheriff's Office
Ottana, IL, 61350
Detective David Guinee
Phone: (815) 433-2161

Agency Case Number: M04C1091

NCMEC Number 602923

Source:

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
NAMUS

I wonder if this case (Richard Griener) is related to the disappearance of Dermot Faulkner Kelly, age 16, who disappeared 13 days later (30 January 1972) from LaSalle, IL. LaSalle is only 60 Miles North West from Pekin, IL.

Dermot is also still missing.

That's what I thought for a long time. Sadly, I think the commonality of these cases is that they are both had tragic outcomes. I think with the dramatic conditions in Dermot's home-life, an ultra-strict father, and views that totally opposed everything that Dermot believed and wanted out of life, that he may have had conflicts with his father for years and deep pain. Dermot's family's views in his mind were so diametrically opposed, to the life he wanted to live. Dermot believed that as long as he lived in such an environment, this would create a constant conflict. He would be living in a state of constant turmoil and friction in that home, therefore, he had to leave. The horrifying thought of Dermot's jacket, shoes, and barefoot prints at the river haunts me to this day, and will stay with me for the rest of my life. The rifle found under the ice adds to the pain. I think Dermot most likely passed away in the river, and that his death was probably a suicide. The Charlie Project blog, for Dermot's case, the author also considers Dermot's case to be a probable suicide. This has always been painful for me. I am convinced that Dermot did not meet with foul play.

I would love to find someone who knew Dermot's pain and troubles, someone who knew him and remembered him, and could reflect on the things he wanted out of life. It's almost like we share a "kindred" spirit. This case gives new meaning to grief and sadness.

Satch

PS (I will comment on Richard's case at his thread.)

... I think with the dramatic conditions in Dermot's home-life, an ultra-strict father, and views that totally opposed everything that Dermot believed and wanted out of life, that he may have had conflicts with his father for years and deep pain. Dermot's family's views in his mind were so diametrically opposed, to the life he wanted to live....
... The horrifying thought of Dermot's jacket, shoes, and barefoot prints at the river haunts me to this day, and will stay with me for the rest of my life. The rifle found under the ice adds to the pain. I think Dermot most likely passed away in the river, and that his death was probably a suicide. ....
Interesting possibility. I would have to ask if the rifle found was known to belong to Dermot or to another family member? If not, it would definitely point to the possibility of another person being involved.

A difficult home life could lead to a boy committing suicide, but it more often would lead to him staying away from home, and turning to others, even strangers for recognition and support.

If he wanted to commit suicide, why would he take his clothes off and walk around barefoot in January? And if he shot himself with a rifle, how could he possibly have put it in the water afterward? And how would his body disappear?

That's what I thought for a long time. Sadly, I think the commonality of these cases is that they are both had tragic outcomes. I think with the dramatic conditions in Dermot's home-life, an ultra-strict father, and views that totally opposed everything that Dermot believed and wanted out of life, that he may have had conflicts with his father for years and deep pain. Dermot's family's views in his mind were so diametrically opposed, to the life he wanted to live. Dermot believed that as long as he lived in such an environment, this would create a constant conflict. He would be living in a state of constant turmoil and friction in that home, therefore, he had to leave. The horrifying thought of Dermot's jacket, shoes, and barefoot prints at the river haunts me to this day, and will stay with me for the rest of my life. The rifle found under the ice adds to the pain. I think Dermot most likely passed away in the river, and that his death was probably a suicide. The Charlie Project blog, for Dermot's case, the author also considers Dermot's case to be a probable suicide. This has always been painful for me. I am convinced that Dermot did not meet with foul play.

I would love to find someone who knew Dermot's pain and troubles, someone who knew him and remembered him, and could reflect on the things he wanted out of life. It's almost like we share a "kindred" spirit. This case gives new meaning to grief and sadness.

Satch

PS (I will comment on Richard's case at his thread.)

Sorry I just heard about the case looking into unidentified people in Oklahoma and saw this one.As I said I havent done much research but the dates fit and I havent seen a really good pic of Dermot yet.What do you think ?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1803umok.html

... I think with the dramatic conditions in Dermot's home-life, an ultra-strict father, and views that totally opposed everything that Dermot believed and wanted out of life, that he may have had conflicts with his father for years and deep pain. Dermot's family's views in his mind were so diametrically opposed, to the life he wanted to live....
... The horrifying thought of Dermot's jacket, shoes, and barefoot prints at the river haunts me to this day, and will stay with me for the rest of my life. The rifle found under the ice adds to the pain. I think Dermot most likely passed away in the river, and that his death was probably a suicide. ....
Interesting possibility. I would have to ask if the rifle found was known to belong to Dermot or to another family member? If not, it would definitely point to the possibility of another person being involved.

A difficult home life could lead to a boy committing suicide, but it more often would lead to him staying away from home, and turning to others, even strangers for recognition and support.

If he wanted to commit suicide, why would he take his clothes off and walk around barefoot in January? And if he shot himself with a rifle, how could he possibly have put it in the water afterward? And how would his body disappear?

The rifle found under the ice was believed to be Dermot's, with only one reported difference. It's telescope was missing and authorities believed that it had fallen in the water.

The weather conditions that day were at or close to negative wind chills. I believe -10 to -15 below. We have calculated the distance that Dermot traveled from his home at Point Lookout to the spot were the Vermillion and Illinois rivers meet. This is where Dermot's boots and Jacket were found, along with bare feet in the snow. The prints extended 20 feet or so out to the river bank but there were no return prints. Dermot's clothes were found a day later after he vanished, the rifle, three days later which divers found. A barge went through at the end of the week and the remaining cold temperatures prompted searchers to call off the search.

The water currents are very strong in some places at the river. The removal of the clothes, hastens the drowning process. Studies show that when people often commit suicide by drowning in a bathtub or river, they often always remove their shoes and if a jacket is present, take that off as well. It is possible that Dermot shot himself at the rivers' edge, fell in, and was swept away by a strong undertow.

Dermot walked about two miles in bone-chilling temperatures, and those close to the case estimated that he had to walk a good 20-30 minutes. The other possibility is that hypothermia set in. This is when people who are not dressed for the bitter cold are outside for periods of time and in their mind they begin to overheat, and will engage in a process known as "Paradoxical Undressing" Feeling overheated, they will take off their clothes, losing a sense of being cold and their bodies go numb. Their mind can experience hallucination when a person has hypothermia. Eventually the person loses all blood circulation and they fall asleep and die.

Dermot by the reports on his case had been despondent, likely for a very long time. He was very introverted, interested in emotional, philosophical things. He was also inwardly rebellious and confused to the values demanded by his home life and reenforced by the school and the church.
People say he didn't say much, but was an empathetic listener. His father was forceful and demanding, a former World War II veteran and prominent lawyer, who was hot tempered. I was told by someone close to the case that Dermot's Dad once attacked one of his law partners. This was an extremely success driven family, with what seemed to be positive results from the other children. Two of Dermot's sisters became physicians.

A poster who claimed that her Mother was Dermot's brother posted back in 2010. She said that Dermot's Dad was going through a job loss and that the marriage was failing and sometimes abusive. I also found out that back in 1946, the Kelly's lost an infant daughter. Dermot's Dad ran for Attorney General in the 1950's. Don't know the results of the election. He also took a polygraph test showing that he truthfully opposed legalized gambling in the county. In 1971, Dermot was sent about 90 miles away for weeks, for some medical treatment. I believe this treatment was conformity therapy. If Dermot had needed conventional help or care, why would he be sent 90 miles away for three weeks? Unless the "treatment?" was something controversial, which he could not get back home in Ogelsby

Dermot loved music, reading, and the Hippie Movement. A reson for the medical "treatment" could be that Dermot disclosed or was found out by his father that he was gay." And this would push Mr. Kelly to the breaking point of not being able to deal with an issue like that. Remember, Dermot's Dad was born in 1912. He was 60 years old when Dermot left home and there is just no way possible that I could see any way those two could ever get along. In a terrible fate, Dermot's Dad excluded him from his obituary. Even in the one published story about Dermot almost three years after he disappeared, everything is from the father's viewpoint. He treated Dermot in an objective, cold kind of way.

"I should have taken more time to understand THE BOY. I was too busy being a layer. Too busy to listen." His father is saying the things that he wants people to hear, but it doesn't seem to be heartfelt. More dutiful and purposeful, the military man and attorney in him looking for evidence. However, if someone referrers to their missing son as "The Boy," this indicates the father saw a deep personality or character flaw. The only thing on which I agree with Dermot's father is that Dermot was very upset about inequalities and hypocrisy in society and reached a point where he couldn't take it anymore. If Dermot was sent to some conforming therapy clinic for being gay, a strict taboo back in 1972 that's not love, that's control.

Google "Conforming Therapy." The most controversial forms began in the 50's lasting until the mid 70's These poor kids were given drugs and shock-treatment to "correct" the behavior. I looked up research and found that many of the people who participated in these programs were driven to suicide, or had such severe emotional pain that they never recovered for the rest of their lives.

You've got a loving, introverted, sensitive kid like Dermot who was always willing to listen and help. He would help kids with their homework even doing it for them. He was a great listener, a humanitarian. His Dad said Dermot would never say what he was thinking. But I don't think Dad listened. Dermot's language and emotions speak VOLUMES!

There's just something about him. I know that Dermot's Mother was very kind and loving. In her obituary, it said her first thoughts were always for her family. She listen Dermot as a survivor. I believe that she could not bring herself to talk about the river evidence. I don't want that kind of negative closure either. It's too painful! It's easier to think emotionally that Dermot ran away to join the Hippie Movement, going around helping people, shinning shoes, vending hot dogs. Dermot, unlike the per-determined life demanded by his family, didn't care about money fame, and power. His quests were freedom, peace, compassion, and love.

May Peace Be With You Dermot.

Satch

PS. For new members to the case this is Charlie Project's info on Dermot. (Doe Network's info is gone:)

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kelly_dermot.html

And a great article from a reporter whom I contacted about Dermot's case. Sadly, we share the suicide theory as most probably cause:

http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/display.php?id=449448

As I said before I am new at this as well as the entire story of Dermot but the first thing that jumps out at me as being odd is that he left the house at 1:15 and by 3 pm the police had been notified he was missing and a search party by 5. I dont know that I would notify the police that fast if my 16 ( I think is what he was ) year old was not where he was supposed to be within 2 hours unless I knew something was wrong.I am not saying I wouldnt be looking for my child but the first hour or so I would be mad at my child thinking he lied to me.It just seems very odd that this happened so fast.And as far as the clothing/shoes left and the footprints only going one way ............... what is to say he hadnt been there a day or week before and stashed warm clothing there so that he could change clothes and possibly hid a canoe out of the way explaining why there were no tracks coming back? Just a couple of things that jumped out at me at first

As I said before I am new at this as well as the entire story of Dermot but the first thing that jumps out at me as being odd is that he left the house at 1:15 and by 3 pm the police had been notified he was missing and a search party by 5. I dont know that I would notify the police that fast if my 16 ( I think is what he was ) year old was not where he was supposed to be within 2 hours unless I knew something was wrong.I am not saying I wouldnt be looking for my child but the first hour or so I would be mad at my child thinking he lied to me.It just seems very odd that this happened so fast.And as far as the clothing/shoes left and the footprints only going one way ............... what is to say he hadnt been there a day or week before and stashed warm clothing there so that he could change clothes and possibly hid a canoe out of the way explaining why there were no tracks coming back? Just a couple of things that jumped out at me at first

Yes,

That is a fast time frame, to only be gone about 90 minutes and the police called. Even more troubling, why would you let a "despondent troubled teen" who "you feared for his welfare," leave the house with a gun?

A follow up article, published about three years later, said that three days before Dermot left he told his parents, "I am going to make a new life on my own and do it completely on my own." He said nothing further. His parents said nothing. The only know communication that his father said three days later was "Wear Warm Boots." I think that Dermot's statement about wanting to make a new life on his own was a way to distance himself from the family. It could have been Dermot's "oral suicide note." Maybe he was sending out a message to see how his parents reacted. They said nothing!

It seems like a concerned parent would have said something. I think Dermot faced so much negativity from his family when he spoke about his "new life" that people thought, "Oh he's introverted and doesn't talk much." Well, maybe Dermot got fed-up with all the negativity and decided why start communicating if it leads to conflicts that are never going to get resolved if I am a part of this family?

The only reasons that I can think of with the quick call to police:

If it was true that Dermot was gay, and back in the early 70's, gay people were considered mentally ill, in society.

The father's strong influence with LE as an attorney to get LE on the case right away. (Most jurisdictions would not even think of begining a search until 72 hours had passed.)

For years, Dermot's Dad would travel around the country, or so he claimed with posters. People would sometimes say that they found somebody who looks like him, but noone has ever actually seen him.

It's also strange that reports show the family new how much money had on him, This was not a school day, where Dermot would take lunch money, so why would they know that? Maybe if someone wanted to borrow money, but when your child leaves for a short period of time. I find it odd that the family would know how much money Dermot had.

Notice that Dermot saying "He's going to go target shooting." is very vague. It allows him to go many places, as opposed to saying. "I'm going to Mike's house, or something." Some people who discount the suicide theory ask, "Why would Dermot say where he was going if his plan was to kill himself?" Could the family have had a strict rule where when you leave the house, you say where you are going? I know that growing up, we did.

Or could this have been a terrible accident? Did Dermot have shooting targets in his pocket when he left? It was very slippery that day and Dermot was not at all dressed for the bone-chilling weather? Was he oblivious to the cold even before potential hypothermia could have occurred? What was he shooting at? Did he slip and fall in the water and the current whisked him away? Did his gun fall in the water and Dermot not realizing how deep the water was, tried to get it, and the ice broke off from under him?

Note this is not some little creek or stream. The Vermillion River and Illinois River are used quite often for Whitewater Rafting. If you Google them on you tube, it can be seen how dangerous they are. Dermot would have needed more than just a change of clothes to survive out there. He would have to get to warm place, have food and lodging planned? Someone to pick him up. We would have really liked to have seen evidence of the Kelly's phone records or any of Dermot's friends to whom Dermot may have confided his plans to run away or talk of suicide.

Regardless of whether this was a suicide, drowning, or a staged disappearance I believed that Dermot left home because he had no other choice. He felt that his dreams were being squashed by his families high expectations. I believe Dermot left to save his family "the shame" of having to associate with him. I think Dermot saw himself as "The Black Sheep of the family." I have also considered due to his Dad's temperament, that he may have been abusive to Dermot. Every time I find out more information about his father in little bits and pieces, everything is a sharp contradiction to what Dermot wanted out of life. I had only wished Dermot could have waited two years and gotten a place of his own where he could call his own shots and do his own thing, a little studio flat with his records, music, writings, and books! He would have loved that!

Satch

Hello, I have been reading Dermot Kelly’s forum for a year or so and I finally want to post my thoughts. I have to warn you guys, I am blunt.

I find it very disturbing that Dermot was not listed in his father’s obit. I wonder if Dermot was Kevin Kelly’s biological child.

I wonder if Dermot actually left his house (alive) on Jan 30, 1972. I find it strange that LE and rescue units were dispatched so soon and found some of his clothing right on the bank of the river. That was easy! Dermot threw himself into the river, that’s the ticket!

Thank you to parakeet who posted this news item: http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc367/PineappleParakeet/kelly2.gif

After reading the new article, I am having a really hard time believing that Mr. Kelly actually retained an Indian guide to take him high atop a mountain in New Mexico, where Mr. Kelly thought he heard the sound of his son’s voice respond to the call of an Indian guide.

Mr. Kelly states he went to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, where a California psychic sent him. Mr. Kelly states he has traveled 30,000 miles to find his son. OK!!

From reading other posts here, I gather that Mr. Kelly was an ultra conservative Roman Catholic. I was not a Catholic in the ‘70s but…would a conservative Catholic actually listen to Indian guides or psychics? Nowadays, they, IMO, would be verboten! Cultish!

I have found Dermot’s name mentioned on this website: http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=374202

I poked around on this site but still have no idea what it is about. I just found it strange that the posters there are talking about Dermot and a possible a friend of his. His mention on this website might mean nothing, but I hope somebody can make more sense out of it than I can.

Snip from the site:
According to some posts online, Dermot Faulkner Kelly was one of the first 75 children listed with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. He is a real missing person. Dermot Faulkner Kelly disappeared from Ogelsby, Il on January 30, 1972. The connection to Illinois, the year, and the age is remarkably close to what RF tells us about the subject's friend.

Sorry I just heard about the case looking into unidentified people in Oklahoma and saw this one.As I said I havent done much research but the dates fit and I havent seen a really good pic of Dermot yet.What do you think ?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1803umok.html

Well, that's kind of spooky. It's this very UID who brought me to WS and to this thread. I've kept that page open in a second browser window while reading carefully through the entire thread. My thoughts:

Having lost both my parents, I would place very little significance on Dermot not being listed as a survivor on his father's obit. It's my experience that the task of preparing the obit falls on the surviving family members, not on the deceased himself. The fact that Dermot was included in his mother's obit was probably a final act of lovingkindness by her children, acknowledging the fact that Mom never gave up hope.

The rifle: I saw a couple of posters apparently thinking the rifle and the body should have been found together. Common sense tells me that a slender metal object would quickly drop out of the current and sink to the bottom of the river. A body would have much larger mass and a higher flotation factor and would be carried downstream by the current, so I would not expect them to be found together. Very odd that the telescopic sight was missing; did Dermot remove it ahead of time? Was it ever absolutely confirmed that this was in fact Dermot's rifle?

Social security number: I'm six years younger than Dermot. Back then, babies were not generally assigned SSNs, not until it became required to list dependents' SSNs on income tax returns, which happened decades later. I didn't get my SSN until age 15, when I took my first part-time job. Dermot may not have had an SSN before he disappeared.

A possible scenario connecting Dermot to this UID, assuming he staged his disappearance: Hitchhiking away from Oglesby, stopping to work odd jobs to earn money, winding up in St. Louis by June, where he worked briefly at Mallinckrodt, then moving on toward I-40 (a direct route and easy hitching to California), where he met with an unfortunate accident in Custer County, OK.

No wallet was found with this UID but, with the other items found on the body, it seems the mystery of his identity could have been cleared up at the time with a few phone calls to St. Louis. Seems strange to me. Also strange is that the profile on the Doe Network states this person was released from jail in St. Louis one day prior to the accident, but I don't see this info on any other website listing this UID. Where would this info come from? A bail receipt? With no name? Again, it seems like a quick phone call to St. Louis could have ID'd this young man.

Dermot's height, hair color, and eye color don't quite match with this UID. I don't remember any mention of whether Dermot had a driver's license. If not, his 6-foot height might have been a guesstimate by the family or, this info did come from his DL, he could have slightly exaggerated his height if self-reporting or he could have been wearing a bit of heel when being measured; a 2" heel on a boot would put a 5'9" inch person that much closer to six feet tall. As for the blonde hair, he doesn't look very blonde to me in the photo, and his eye color could have been misremembered by the family. I couldn't say for sure what color my brother's eyes are; I would guess blue.

Anyway, a connection to this UID seems within the realm of possibility, albeit remote. I wish there were a DNA profile available for the UID, but the body would have to be exhumed to get one. There are fingerprints available; is there any record of Dermot's fingerprints?

I wonder if Dermot actually left his house (alive) on Jan 30, 1972.

Hi Sulaimth,

In reference to your quote above, what do you mean? I agree with you that there is a possibility that Dermot leaped into the river. My fear is that he shot himself at the river's edge, than fell into the water.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back