IL IL - Diamond, 3, & Tionda Bradley, 10, Chicago, 6 Jul 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Missing children: Chicago's Bradley sisters vanished 20 years ago

...SBM

The girls' disappearance spurred one of the largest manhunts in the Chicago's history, and investigators have gone as far as Morocco to look for them.

Twenty years later, the family still has hope someone will come forward with information. Some 50 relatives – including the girls' mother, sisters, aunts, great-aunt and cousins – gathered at two balloon releases and vigils Tuesday wearing T-shirts and buttons with the girls’ faces on them.

More than a dozen family members gathered at a first, more somber event on a pedestrian bridge, near the apartment where the girls lived at the time with their mother, Tracey Bradley, and two sisters, Rita and Victoria.

...SBM

Soon after being questioned by police 20 years ago, the boyfriend said he got a lawyer – "I still have many lawyers on standby, just in case," he said. That has precluded investigators from talking openly with the man, who says the police, the FBI and the media all ganged up on him.

In an interview with USA TODAY in June, the boyfriend denied that he was involved with the girls being missing.

"I don’t know who did anything; I just know that I had nothing to do with it," he said of the girls’ disappearance.

Cook County sheriff restarts search for longtime missing persons

A team of three detectives will be dedicated to working the cases, and the list compiled by investigators using the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System database, has been posted to a website, www.cookcountysheriff.org/person/. People with information about any of the missing persons can contact the sheriff’s office at (773) 674-9490 or email CCSO.MissingPersons@CCSheriff.org.

Detectives will focus on any cases more than three years old, with a focus on individuals who have disappeared in the past 10 to 15 years, Dart said.

FEB 6, 2022
Lightfoot Says Chicago ‘Must Do Better’ Finding Missing Black Women And Girls, Whose Cases Are Disproportionately Ignored - KTVZ
[...]

Tionda and Diamond Bradley went missing almost 21 years ago. Their aunt has fought for them to come home every day since.

“I need to see boots on the ground,” said SBS. “Not just for Tionda and Diamond but for all these missing women and children. People don’t seem to care until it happens to them Its been 21 years of nothing but pure hell, clanging, all kind of making noise, trying to get help for them, roadblocks.”

They were 10 and 3 years old at the time. An age progression of the two sisters put out on the 20th anniversary of their disappearance shows what they might look like now.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, who joined the conference, admitted Chicago has not done its part to help.

“And in Chicago we just have to be honest and say we don’t have a good track record when it comes to finding missing Black women and girls, supporting families and survivors, solving homicides relating to Black women,” she said. “We absolutely must do better.”

[...]

When a person goes missing, their loved ones are left with the agonizing void of having something ripped away from them. Imagine the emotions involved if it was two young sisters who vanished at the same time.

That’s what authorities say happened 21 years ago to a Chicago family. Tionda and Diamond Bradley, two little girls, disappeared in 2001.

Despite the roller coaster of emotions, false sightings and hoaxes by people claiming to be their long-lost loved ones, the family isn’t giving up hope.

Two decades after the disappearance, Sheila Bradley-Smith is still monitoring tips for any information about her great-nieces. The girls were ages 10 and 3 when they vanished.

Source: Family of Chicago girls missing 21 years not giving up hope

Diamond Bradley age-progressed to 23 years old [left] and Tionda Bradley age-progressed to 30 years old [right].

DEC 30, 2022

Tionda and Diamond Bradley
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • Went Missing: July 2001
It’s been 21 years since Tionda and Diamond Bradley, aged 10 and 3, respectively, were first reported missing. But for their family, they’re still stuck in 2001, and time barely dulls the grief. The Bradley girls’ mother left their Chicago apartment July 6, but when she returned from work around 11 a.m., both girls were gone. A note said the girls had gone to the store and the park. Family members, though, say the note seemed “off” and that Tionda would have called her mom’s cellphone. The search for the sisters sparked the largest manhunt in Chicago police history, according to Detective Ed Carroll. Investigators eventually found a hair matching Tionda Bradley’s in the trunk of a car, but there was nothing conclusive enough to make an arrest. The case has been a roller coaster of emotions, false sightings and hoaxes — but the family says they are not giving up hope.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of the Bradley sisters should call the Chicago Police Department at 312-747-5789.

While at work, Tracey called home three times between 7 and 8 am but there was no answer. Sometime between 11 and 11:30 am, she returned home from work only to discover that Tionda and Diamond were gone. While frantically searching the apartment, Tracey found a note written by Tionda that said the girls were going to a store called Jewel Osco followed by a trip to the playground.

The note didn't clarify which playground, however, it was assumed that Tionda meant the playground at Doolittle Elementary where she was enrolled for summer classes but had not attended that day.

Tracey went to Jewel Osco and the playground, but Tionda and Diamond weren't there. She checked with neighbors and relatives but no one had seen or heard from them. Tracey and her sister, Faith, searched the neighborhood for seven hours before Tracey finally reported the girls missing at 7 pm.

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=0seXvD_0l0eOX4C00

A newspaper clipping of the casePhoto byUSA Today

What ensued was a massive search. Dogs, helicopters, and dive teams were deployed but the girls were nowhere to be found. 5,000 abandoned buildings were searched, to no avail.

Tracey later discovered that Tionda had left her a voicemail at 8:17 am that morning. Tionda stated that "George" was at the door and asked for permission to leave the apartment because he wanted to take the girls out to get them a birthday cake; their sister Victoria's birthday was coming up.

What remains unclear is whether Tionda was referring to her mother's boyfriend or a neighbor who was also named George and sometimes babysat the girls. However, the family believes that Tionda was referring to Tracey's boyfriend because the girls always referred to the neighbor by an unknown nickname. George Washington denied returning to the apartment after he dropped Tracey off at work.

A handwriting analyst for the FBI determined that the note was indeed written by Tionda, however, the family believes she was forced to write it because the spelling and grammar were perfect and did not match how Tionda usually spoke. They believe she was told what to write and how to write it.

George W. did not participate in the searches for the girls and it was discovered that he argued with Tracey shortly before they vanished; George did not believe that he was Diamond's biological father, and took a paternity test. The results arrived weeks earlier and proved he was her father.

Shortly before the sisters disappeared, George told Tracey that he was planning a camping trip for the four of them. It was supposed to take place a few days later. However, it was later discovered that the trip was fake. George had not made any reservations nor had he prepared for a camping trip.

On July 12, the authorities found a receipt in George's home for a pack of 42-gallon garbage bags, gardening gloves, neoprene gloves, and bleach, purchased one day after Tionda and Diamond went missing. 5 garbage bags were missing and the gardening gloves were nowhere to be found.

Several witnesses said they saw George burn something in a 55-gallon drum in his backyard, put it in his trunk, and drive away. Hair belonging to the girls was found in the trunk. George said he often took them to a drive-in movie theatre and had them hide in the trunk to avoid paying for their tickets. George denied owning a drum. He agreed to take a polygraph test, and it came back inconclusive.

George Washington was never officially named a POI nor was he detained in connection with the case due to the fact that all of the evidence against him was purely circumstantial.

While at work, Tracey called home three times between 7 and 8 am but there was no answer. Sometime between 11 and 11:30 am, she returned home from work only to discover that Tionda and Diamond were gone. While frantically searching the apartment, Tracey found a note written by Tionda that said the girls were going to a store called Jewel Osco followed by a trip to the playground.

The note didn't clarify which playground, however, it was assumed that Tionda meant the playground at Doolittle Elementary where she was enrolled for summer classes but had not attended that day.

Tracey went to Jewel Osco and the playground, but Tionda and Diamond weren't there. She checked with neighbors and relatives but no one had seen or heard from them. Tracey and her sister, Faith, searched the neighborhood for seven hours before Tracey finally reported the girls missing at 7 pm.

What ensued was a massive search. Dogs, helicopters, and dive teams were deployed but the girls were nowhere to be found. 5,000 abandoned buildings were searched, to no avail.

Tracey later discovered that Tionda had left her a voicemail at 8:17 am that morning. Tionda stated that "George" was at the door and asked for permission to leave the apartment because he wanted to take the girls out to get them a birthday cake; their sister Victoria's birthday was coming up.

What remains unclear is whether Tionda was referring to her mother's boyfriend or a neighbor who was also named George and sometimes babysat the girls. However, the family believes that Tionda was referring to Tracey's boyfriend because the girls always referred to the neighbor by an unknown nickname. George Washington denied returning to the apartment after he dropped Tracey off at work.

A handwriting analyst for the FBI determined that the note was indeed written by Tionda, however, the family believes she was forced to write it because the spelling and grammar were perfect and did not match how Tionda usually spoke. They believe she was told what to write and how to write it.

George W. did not participate in the searches for the girls and it was discovered that he argued with Tracey shortly before they vanished; George did not believe that he was Diamond's biological father, and took a paternity test. The results arrived weeks earlier and proved he was her father.

Shortly before the sisters disappeared, George told Tracey that he was planning a camping trip for the four of them. It was supposed to take place a few days later. However, it was later discovered that the trip was fake. George had not made any reservations nor had he prepared for a camping trip.

On July 12, the authorities found a receipt in George's home for a pack of 42-gallon garbage bags, gardening gloves, neoprene gloves, and bleach, purchased one day after Tionda and Diamond went missing. 5 garbage bags were missing and the gardening gloves were nowhere to be found.

Several witnesses said they saw George burn something in a 55-gallon drum in his backyard, put it in his trunk, and drive away. Hair belonging to the girls was found in the trunk. George said he often took them to a drive-in movie theatre and had them hide in the trunk to avoid paying for their tickets. George denied owning a drum. He agreed to take a polygraph test, and it came back inconclusive.

George Washington was never officially named a POI nor was he detained in connection with the case due to the fact that all of the evidence against him was purely circumstantial.
I never heard that they found the girls hair before

I don't remember hearing about the receipt and the drum before.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- There has been a possible break in a Chicago missing persons case that's more than 20 years old.

Diamond and Tionda Bradley were 3 and 10 years old when they went missing in 2001. Now, a woman is claiming that she is Diamond, who would now be 25 years old. She even went to the FBI.

ABC7 spoke with the Diamonds' great-aunt, Sheliah Bradley-Smith.

"A young lady reached out on Facebook," said Bradley-Smith. "She believes she is Diamond Bradley, my missing niece."

Bradley-Smith had many long phone calls with a young lady who lives in Harris County, Texas this week.

"She pretty much said that she remembered being in a car and being around Tianda for a while, but then she said she was taken away and never saw her again," Bradley-Smith said.

Tionda and Diamond Smith disappeared from their family's Bronzeville apartment in the summer of 2001, nearly 23 years ago.

Over the years, the family has encountered numerous false-tips. Most recently, there was a young woman in Texas, in 2019, who also claimed to be Diamond.

"It's been heartbreaking. It will lift you up, and give you the hope, and slam you back down to the ground," Bradley-Smith said.

This time may be no different. Bradley-Smith said there's only one way to know if this woman is, in fact, her youngest long-lost niece.

"I must admit, this is the first one that someone has been eager to go take a DNA test," Bradley-Smith said.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- There has been a possible break in a Chicago missing persons case that's more than 20 years old.

Diamond and Tionda Bradley were 3 and 10 years old when they went missing in 2001. Now, a woman is claiming that she is Diamond, who would now be 25 years old. She even went to the FBI.

ABC7 spoke with the Diamonds' great-aunt, Sheliah Bradley-Smith.

"A young lady reached out on Facebook," said Bradley-Smith. "She believes she is Diamond Bradley, my missing niece."

Bradley-Smith had many long phone calls with a young lady who lives in Harris County, Texas this week.

"She pretty much said that she remembered being in a car and being around Tianda for a while, but then she said she was taken away and never saw her again," Bradley-Smith said.

Tionda and Diamond Smith disappeared from their family's Bronzeville apartment in the summer of 2001, nearly 23 years ago.

Over the years, the family has encountered numerous false-tips. Most recently, there was a young woman in Texas, in 2019, who also claimed to be Diamond.

"It's been heartbreaking. It will lift you up, and give you the hope, and slam you back down to the ground," Bradley-Smith said.

This time may be no different. Bradley-Smith said there's only one way to know if this woman is, in fact, her youngest long-lost niece.

"I must admit, this is the first one that someone has been eager to go take a DNA test," Bradley-Smith said.
I remember this case and the speculation on how they disappeared. I do not take a Facebook or internet claim as being reliable, imo. It has to be so hard on the family. I wish it could be true but I stick with my original theory.
I would gladly eat my hat for them to still be alive.

A photo made in 2021 of what Diamond and Tionda Bradley may look like now. The sisters went missing from a South Side home in 2001.
1684548365709.png

'National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

New age progressed photos of the sisters were released by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children in 2021 on the 20th anniversary of their disappearance. The FBI’s website lists a reward of up to $10,000 for information relating to the girls’ whereabouts.

If anyone has information about the disappearance of the Bradley sisters, contact the Chicago Police Department at (312) 747-5789, the FBI Illinois at (312) 421-6700 or the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children at 1 (800) THE-LOST.

“It’s a lot of erratic emotions,” Bradley-Smith said. “I’m hoping that it is [her].”
1684548580988.png
Diamond Bradley

MAY 19, 2023
[...]

The age progression photo from Missing and Exploited Children mentions a scar that Diamond has on the left side of her hair in her hairline.

"When talking to her face to face, I can see the scars, that one and that one," said Sheliah Bradley-Smith, the great aunt who has been fighting to find the girls.

[...]

The FBI spoke with the woman for 45 minutes and did take her DNA.

Right now, the test results are pending. It will be compared with the girls' biological mother.

[...]

"This young lady over the years has been held captive, fed steroids to make her body growner than it was for sex trafficking, drug-induced, living on the streets after escaping," said Bradley-Smith.

And where is Tionda, who was 10 at the time the sisters disappeared together?

"I said what happened to Tionda. She told me they were in a car, I was with her in a car and was with her for a while where they had us at. I woke up one day and Tionda wasn't there, I didn't see her anymore," said Bradley-Smith.

[...]

View attachment 423497
ABC7 spoke with the Diamonds' great-aunt, Sheliah Bradley-Smith, who said that woman turned in a cheek swab and fingerprints to the FBI.

"She pretty much said that she remembered being in a car and being around Tionda for a while, but then she said she was taken away and never saw her again," Bradley-Smith said.

I'm always very sceptical when someone claims that they are a missing person, that said I hope this is Diamond.
I hope so to ,this case has had a lot of weirdness ,I followed this case on WS way before I joined here. I started following post and cases here in 1999 but it was a different here ,back then.
Anyway I always thought they didnt say something in the case they should have. Like a scary ravel of sorts. These little girls are stuck in my head as little girls . They are probably older than the podcasters now covering their cases. . Here we are though looking for people who are frozen in time. So so sad.

It’s been over two weeks since the TikTok video went viral and the DNA test was performed. That girl is clearly and obviously not Diamond Bradley. I really don’t know what’s going on with the update.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back