IL - Five killed, 21 injured in shooting at NIU campus, DeKalb, 14 Feb 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oops! My bad, I just re-read the article and it says the father was the diabetic and "didn't want to go into relapse." Poor man. He lost his wife last year and now his son. :(

Losing your mom can be a trigger too.

I just don't understand why they think killing others at college is the way to go.

If you read his new blog this is the wrong guy.

MYSPACE
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=1455035&blogID=357150909

staecey, well, you could hear the hurt in her voice. i tore her ****ing heart out by not stepping up and being the man i can truly be. i'm really a little boy, hopelessly sophomoric and devoid of responsibility and never fortifying a foundation to base a self-sufficient life off of. sure i've got problems, but as g-pa told me last week, think of people in world war 2. dear john letters, their wives running off with a 4H (medically declared unfit for combat) so not only was your wife back home running off, but it was with someone who wasn't good enough to be sent to the meatgrinders that were europe and the pacific, where people were trained to die for the cause... i mean, that says something.

LIVE JOURNAL
http://emessiah.livejournal.com/125482.html

i love staecey. i know this cuz i'd give her up in a heartbeat if i had to, cuz it's really not about me it's all about her, and ~11-12 months into this whole dealy-o i mean i can tell you still to this day that she has come into my life nad affected me like no other. when she's around i CARE, i'd spend every penny i have, i'd give her my soul, i'd take a bullet for her.

Yeah, 2 of the newer photos are the exact same from the MySpace account. I still think it's him... The older high school pic looks like him too.

Except for the fact that the shooter is dead, and so can't be posting now? I think the news agencies just grabbed the wrong photo, is what it looks like to me. Blargh, and I read that guy's (sinicalypse) journal. :bang: That guy, the one giving the interview, YICK! Ladies, RUN FROM THAT MAN!!!

The following article (in pdf format)

JIM THOMAS, MARGARET LEAF, STEVE KAZMIERCZAK, JOSH STONE
(2006) SELF-INJURY IN CORRECTIONAL SETTINGS: "PATHOLOGY" OF PRISONS OR OF PRISONERS?*
Criminology & Public Policy 5 (1) , 193–202
doi:10.1111/j.1745-9133.2006.00111.x
can be downloaded from Prof Jim Thomas' web site: click here

IDK, I thought they did, especially the eyes and eyebrows.

The guy who is still alive (sinicalpyse) has a mole on his cheek, the other guy, the skinny faced, shiny forehead guy, doesn't. Different people.

The guy who is still alive (sinicalpyse) has a mole on his cheek, the other guy, the skinny faced, shiny forehead guy, doesn't. Different people.

Agreed, and while he may be strange, I don't think his blogs belong here and actually saw where he was being threatened on one site. I think his nicknames and his blogs should be removed.

I wanted to say something I have not said about why I am probably more disturbed about this than most people may be. My brother is attending Emory University in Atlanta, GA and it worries me that this thing could've easily happened there and can happen at any time. I talked dto him earlier today and he says he knows what to do if it happens there, but it still concerns me. As I have stated to some of you before, I am a grad student in the Computer science program here in Charleston, SC, and so as vigilant as I can be I cannot imagine it possibly happening here some day. I wish something that could be done so that we will never have to fear these random shooters on campuses nationwide, that bring us so much sadness and tragedy...

Agreed, and while he may be strange, I don't think his blogs belong here and actually saw where he was being threatened on one site. I think his nicknames and his blogs should be removed.

Me too!

Now people want to crucify an innocent guy that just happened to know SK just because he has some blogs that don't agree with their line of thought. :rolleyes:

I'm also a student, finishing up my BA in Management Information Systems. I'm graduating this April. I attend school here in Illinois, about 60 miles from NIU. I'm planning on attending grad school to get a dual Master's: an MBA and an MIS.

It's SO scary imagining that this could happen anywhere to anyone, but we have to live or lives. We can't hide in our homes, our safe, protective cocoons, in the name of fear or in the name of safety. Going on about our lives is the best way to overcome this tragedy.

He looks like he gets his eyebrows plucked or waxed..

Oh yeah. More than the average guy would do. I can see a man plucking a few to get rid of the unibrow but not as far as he went. I imagine the stories about this guy are going to be wacked. :eek:

I know this is the least important thing about this tragedy, but he did have the most perfect eyebrows I've ever seen on a guy. They even look good in his yearbook picture. I'm wondering things too, but it's not worth mentioning.

Losing your mom can be a trigger too.

I just don't understand why they think killing others at college is the way to go.
Imo, it has largely to do with the way media, and yes, us, as the general public reacts. While we, as a society, may react in horror and sorrow, we also broadcast it for days on end. Hence, someone who may be feeling sucidal/homicidal and/or be experiencing hallucinations, may see taking as many as they can with them as some sort of "final defiance" against the world whom they may perceive is causing their real or imagined agony. But what good is the message if there is no one to hear? In other words, if they were to just crawl somewhere, curl up and die, most of us would be none the wiser. Whereas, the media (and the public at large) has implicitly indicated that yes, we will publicize and feel great pain—for days, if not weeks on end—if you (being the general you) choose to gun down a bunch of people).

Accused gunman remembered as hard-working and gentle
By David Heinzmann, Eric Zorn and Jeff Long
chicagotribune.com
2:44 PM CST, February 15, 2008

"In this large class he stood out. So I tried to use him as an unpaid assistant," Thomas said. "He stood out because he was hard-working, he was bright, he would come up and talk about ideas behind what I'd taught."

Thomas said he was left dumbfounded when the news of the gunman's identity trickled out around campus Thursday.

"When I heard yesterday that it was a student in corrections and social justice, former grad student, I thought, 'Oh, my God, that's Steve. That has to be Steve," he said. "It's nuts, nuts, totally nuts. He was the most gentle, even guy."

[...]

At the time, NIU colleagues were troubled because Kazmierczak failed two classes and received an incomplete in another course. Thomas, however, believed Kazmierczak failed the classes because he already had shifted his focus to U. of I.

[...]

After he left DeKalb, Kazmierczak worked briefly as a guard at an Indiana prison about 80 miles from Urbana-Champaign.

Doug Garrison, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Corrections, said Kazmierczak worked at the Rockville Correctional Facility in western Indiana Sept. 24 to Oct. 9, 2007. Then, he abruptly left.

"He just did not come back to work," Garrison said. "He called up one day and said he was not coming back."

[...]

While in Champaign, Kazmierczak lived with his former girlfriend on the city's west side, several miles from campus. Thomas said the couple was no longer romantically involved but had continued to share an apartment.

Authorities in DeKalb confirmed Friday that Kazmierczak had recently stopped taking medication. Thomas said Kazmierczak had confided in him that he had served in the military and received a discharge for psychological reasons.
Full article: click here

Comment: Iow, what happened at the prison?

So...how long before the media asks the military to release his psychological profile and how much of a fight will the military put up in releasing it?

I wanted to say something I have not said about why I am probably more disturbed about this than most people may be. My brother is attending Emory University in Atlanta, GA and it worries me that this thing could've easily happened there and can happen at any time. I talked dto him earlier today and he says he knows what to do if it happens there, but it still concerns me. As I have stated to some of you before, I am a grad student in the Computer science program here in Charleston, SC, and so as vigilant as I can be I cannot imagine it possibly happening here some day. I wish something that could be done so that we will never have to fear these random shooters on campuses nationwide, that bring us so much sadness and tragedy...

This all started with the Charles Whitman shooting on the University of Texas Campus in 1966.

It seems like then, for a long, long time, we didn't have such shootings - but the past few years, beginning with Columbine, it has started up again and especially this past year we have had an inordinate amount of mall shootings and campus shootings.

I have no idea why, except to think people are more "alone", even though part of society, there is more stress, mental health disorders are not being followed and treated, and there are too many loopholes in gunlaws.

Last week a woman shot 2 at Louisiana tech. College. Did they die; I've already lost track of that one.

Unusual to have a woman shooter; once again this one is a man as it nearly always is.

My husband, an MD, suggested that this man could have been a Paranoid Schizophrenic who went off his meds. He didn't think it sounded like bipolar or depression meds. Just an educated guess.....

This is so OT, and I apologize, but I can't stop thinking about it.

The Evergreen State College in Olympia had a concert last night, the very day of this horrible tragedy. A fight broke out, and a campus police officer went to break it up and she detained the young man who started it. The crowd turned on her. When she called for backup, the students started pelting rocks at the responders. Chaos ensued.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/15310821/detail.html

The very people that are there to protect these student, on the very day that a madman opens fire in a lecture hall killing their peers in the Midwest, these students do this.

Not the same magnitude, but maybe its the selfishness of these students, and the tragic irony that I can't get out of my head.

Sorry, didn't want to derail, just vent a little.

Praying for the students, faculty and families of NIU.

Otter, that's terrible.:eek:
Hope they all were arrested and charged....

Otter, that's terrible.:eek:
Hope they all were arrested and charged....

Of course no one was arrested! Its freedom of speech at that school, IMO, to do things like that.

Should've cancelled the hip-hop concert, IMO, in light of the events of the day.

He evidently purchased gun equipment (magazines) from the same website that Cho (Va. Tech) purchased a gun from.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6
Back