Identified! IL - Grundy Co, BlkFem UP17621, 18-23, body in ditch at U.S. Rte 6, Oct'76 JoAnn "Vickie" Smith

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are 25 exclusions listed on her NamUs:
Aleca Manning 1975 Maricopa, AZ
Alice Jefferson 1975 Christian, KY
Barbara, Jolly 1976 King, WA
Brenda Moore 1976 Travis, TX
Catherine Davidson 1973 Berrien, MI
Consuella Cash 1975 Los Angeles, CA
Debra Stewart 1976 Travis, TX
Estelle Perry 1983 Montgomery, AL
Francis Heath 1974 Ashley, AR
Ila Maynard 1974 Guilford, NC
Ivy Matory 1977 Los Angeles, CA
Jennifer Barton 1976 Travis, TX
Katrina Ashford 1972 Marin, CA
Mabel Andrews 1976 Orange, FL
Margaret Dash 1974 Pinellas, FL
Margie Phillips 1976 Lee, FL
Marion Hawkins 1975 Los Angeles, CA
Patricia Brown 1979 Cook, IL
Phyllis Gilliam 1971 Richland, SC
Sherise Magee 1975 Clark, NV
Shirley Scott 1974 Cook, IL
Susan Redding 1980 --, GA
Tracy Davenport 1973 Marin, CA
Violet Matory 1977 Los Angeles, CA
Yolanda Williams 1977 Los Angeles, CA

What is the namus number for Shirley Scott? Is she the girl missing from Englewood Illinois? There was a missing female named Shirley from Englewood Illinois that according to her mother was reported missing but police state that he was never reported. She looked IDENTICAL to this Jane doe but was ruled out. I am looking for more information on that specific missing person.

What is the namus number for Shirley Scott? Is she the girl missing from Englewood Illinois? There was a missing female named Shirley from Englewood Illinois that according to her mother was reported missing but police state that he was never reported. She looked IDENTICAL to this Jane doe but was ruled out. I am looking for more information on that specific missing person.

This is the Shirley Scott who was ruled out as being this UID. Shirley's Namus page is no longer available, just this stub information:

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP17621Female, Black / African American
Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs # MP53081
Shirley Scott, Female, Black / African American
Date of Last Contact July 1, 1974
State IL
County Cook

This is the Shirley Scott who was ruled out as being this UID. Shirley's Namus page is no longer available, just this stub information:

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP17621Female, Black / African American
Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs # MP53081
Shirley Scott, Female, Black / African American
Date of Last Contact July 1, 1974
State IL
County Cook

I had emailed the coroner assigned to this Jane doe about Shirley and this is what I got back.

Thank you for reaching out. I had entered the female in question, Shirley Scott in NamUs back in October of 2018. I am able to see her in NamUs, however, the status is pending, because the case actually belongs to the Chicago Police Department.

Ms. Scott was not a match to my Jane Doe and I unfortunately haven’t had any additional correspondence with her family. At this point I don’t believe there has been any closure.

I had emailed the coroner assigned to this Jane doe about Shirley and this is what I got back.

Thank you for reaching out. I had entered the female in question, Shirley Scott in NamUs back in October of 2018. I am able to see her in NamUs, however, the status is pending, because the case actually belongs to the Chicago Police Department.

Ms. Scott was not a match to my Jane Doe and I unfortunately haven’t had any additional correspondence with her family. At this point I don’t believe there has been any closure.
Does anyone know what pending means?

awaiting decision or settlement or closure/"hanging".
Ah,so this likely means she has been identified pending verification? Or does it mean that the state assigned to her case has to file a report now (because it initially started from the coroner assigned to the grundy County Jane doe)

I don't mean to derail from this jane doe. I am just so curious and the mother of Shirley Scott is in her 80s and I wanted to know if this case received colsure or not. I can't seem to find or understand there being any evidence either outcome.

Ah,so this likely means she has been identified pending verification? Or does it mean that the state assigned to her case has to file a report now (because it initially started from the coroner assigned to the grundy County Jane doe)

I don't mean to derail from this jane doe. I am just so curious and the mother of Shirley Scott is in her 80s and I wanted to know if this case received colsure or not. I can't seem to find or understand there being any evidence either outcome.

I think Onfortuneswheels puts it right about the MP Ms. Scott.

The jurisdiction responsible for the case <Ms. Scott's case /The Chicago Police Department> has to take ownership and assign a case number before the profile can be made public in the system. If a case number doesn't exist and the family hasn't refiled the report, it will usually stay pending.

As Ms. Scott's mother has become of age, maybe another family member can refile and advocate for her and pushing LE to change the status from pending to active and/or resolved. Ms. Scott is still missing as far as I know, "hanging" in the system somehow. We know the least that she isn't a match to this Jane Doe. Thank you for asking.

Last edited:
There is a new article, it seams the DDP were able to identify her first cousin but still were not able to identify the Jane Doe, it must be that her biological family/or may be just a father did not know about her

There is a new article, it seams the DDP were able to identify her first cousin but still were not able to identify the Jane Doe, it must be that her biological family/or may be just a father did not know about her

Recently, the Doe project discovered what was “initially believed to be a half-sister” to the victim. However, a few weeks ago, the project learned that person is a first cousin to the victim from New York.

“We have had several close matches like this where it’s a first cousin, second cousin, somewhere in the tree. It just needs that right match, the right puzzle piece, so to speak. To find out who she is, within this family tree, and what her name is. What they say now is it’s possible that our Jane Doe was born in either Selma, AL. or Cincinnati, OH,” Johnson said.

Also interesting that the new article above says there are over 90 ruleouts in her case.

What happens when there are multiple close family matches? Does DDP ask police to request DNA from certain people they’ve identified in the family tree, to try and narrow down the search?

In 1976, a woman thought to be between 15 and 27 years old was found in a Seneca, Illinois ditch, according to the Grundy County Coroner’s Office.

Investigators say she was shot in the head and her body dumped in the ditch.

In December 2018, investigators exhumed her remains for DNA testing, the coroner’s office says.

They started working with the DNA Doe Project and think they have a close match.

As they attempt to identify the woman, the coroner’s office says she might have some family in Cincinnati. Some of her relatives may live in Dallas or Wilcox County, Alabama.

I came across this photo of "S Harris" in a 1965 yearbook from Hughes High School in Cincinnati. The resemblance jumped out at me. She was in 8th grade, so born about 1951 or so. I wasn't able to find her in the 1964, 1966, or 1969 editions. (1967 and 1968 aren't available on Ancestry.)
I'm still trying to find more about her, but was curious what others might think.

Attachments

• S Harris.png
    S Harris.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2023-02-05 13_54_58-Illinois coroner asking for Cincinnati's help identifying Jane Doe.png
    2023-02-05 13_54_58-Illinois coroner asking for Cincinnati's help identifying Jane Doe.png
    609.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02