Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Bloomington, IL - The Bloomington Police Department is seeking help from the public in locating a missing person.

Missing is Jelani J.J. Day, 25, of Bloomington, Illinois and is a graduate student at Illinois State University (ISU). Day was reported missing on 8/25/2021 under UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES by his family and an ISU faculty member.

Day's family last spoke to Day on the evening of 8/23/2021. They made attempts to locate him but were unsuccessful. Day also had not shown up to class the past several days.

Day is reported to be a black male, 25 years old, 6'02'', 180 pounds, short black hair, brown eyes, with some facial hair. Day is known to operate a white, 2010 Chrysler 300 (Illinois registration #CH74067).

Note: The photos were released with the consent of the missing persons family.

Anyone who has contact with Jelani Day is asked to contact the Bloomington Police Department at (309) 820-8888. If anyone has information about Day is also asked to contact Detective Paul Jones at 309-434-2548 or Pjones@cityblm.org

gov-delivery_original.jpg

Missing Person: Jelani Day

Police ask for help to find missing ISU graduate student

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
A couple of very interesting video's, new information about the review of autopsy
Jelani Day update: Fr Pfleger hires private investigator, third autopsy details revealed
https://twitter.com/ABC7Chicago

Jelani Day update: Mother shows why she believes foul play was involved in son's death
I can't get the other links to post, there is a series of videos at ABC7 Chicago

Jelani Day update: Mother shows why she believes foul play was involved in son's death
1) On Aug. 25, one of Day's professors reported he didn't show up to class, and he wasn't picking up his phone.

CORRECTION: On Aug. 25, the speech-language pathology Clinical Director reported Jelani had not showed up for a meeting the morning of 08/24/2021, had not showed up for class the afternoon of 08/24/2021, didn't show up to see a patient in the clinic the afternoon of 08/24/2021, and he wasn't picking up his phone.

1) Day, an Illinois State University graduate student studying medicine
CORRECTION: Day, an Illinois State University graduate student studying speech-language pathology.

2) Investigators said Day was last seen at 7:20 p.m. the night before, at the student center. The following morning, at 9:12 a.m., he was spotted on surveillance video at the Beyond Hello cannabis dispensary
CORRECTION: Investigators said Day was last seen at 7:20 a.m. the the morning of 08/24/2021, at the student center. The morning of 08/24/2021, at 9:12 a.m., he was spotted on surveillance video at the Beyond Hello cannabis dispensary

WGLT - NPR at Illinois State University so far has been a source of accurate information:

Jelani Day timeline: Key moments in the investigation

"Father Michael Pfleger is now joining the fight to get answers in hopes of helping solve the case.

The Chicago priest and activist is donating more than $10,000 towards a private investigation look into his death.

[..]

That's why Pfleger hired local private investigator and forensics expert Sergio Serritlla and his team to help this mom get answers.

"We examined the body, looking for lacerations, incisions, broken bones. Gunshot wounds," Serritlla explained.

Serritella said while his team did not find any obvious signs of external trauma to the body, he did add that it's impossible to say there was no harm done at this point.

"The fact is, mother nature dealt us a very difficult hand. The remains were in water for 11 days and the river washed away a great deal of forensic evidence," Serritlla said. "The heat, the water, which accelerated decomposition, and the environment really made forensic investigation very difficult in this case."

Jelani Day autopsy: Fr Pfleger hires private investigator in vow to get answers for mother

Serritella said he hasn't reviewed the LaSalle County coroner's autopsy and prefers it that way so that he can have an objective review of the case. He added that even if the cause of death is drowning, that doesn't tell us how Day drowned or if someone was responsible.

"The other thing that I did, was obtain DNA samples. That's used to confirm the identification of the remains," Serritlla said.

Serritella said he hopes to have DNA results in the next few weeks and will reveal them to Day's mother as soon as they come in.

Jelani Day autopsy: Fr Pfleger hires private investigator in vow to get answers for mother

I won't quote myself but referring to my two posts above, the hired forensic expert has basically echoed what the coroner said and what LE has been saying ... No obvious signs of trauma, condition of remains made it difficult , drowning COD still doesn't explain how he got in river.

Serritella sounds like he's doing a decent job - I hope his confirmation of ID and some of the facts can help mom a little.

I won't quote myself but referring to my two posts above, the hired forensic expert has basically echoed what the coroner said and what LE has been saying ... No obvious signs of trauma, condition of remains made it difficult , drowning COD still doesn't explain how he got in river.

Serritella sounds like he's doing a decent job - I hope his confirmation of ID and some of the facts can help mom a little.
This is good news for both CBD and the investigation. I'm also hopeful that independent results commissioned by somebody that Jelani's mother trusts will ease her mind where all can focus on the most important question: why did Jelani abruptly leave campus for the dispensary, never looking back?

Would be much better to hear these things from LE instead of the family.

Though it may be frustrating, I prefer when LE keeps a tight leash and doesn't spread bad info/rumors. Fueling the rumor mill is just not good (like people interpreting "liquefied organs" as them being removed and some kind of organ harvesting going on.)

Criminal justice expert says the Jelani Day death investigation lacks evidence to warrant an FBI takeover

WGLT interviewed an expert who thinks it's highly unlikely the FBI will take over.

I hope the police don’t disclose the name of the college students that found the clothes…or the person that found the wallet. I don’t think those people are safe…there is a strong need to blame someone. Anyone.

I hope the police don’t disclose the name of the college students that found the clothes…or the person that found the wallet. I don’t think those people are safe…there is a strong need to blame someone. Anyone.

Fortunately they have attorneys to protect them somewhat.
There is active conspiracy mongering going on at Reddit about how these students were involved...along with the Clinical Dir.

I can't find the interview but the now former family attorney had mentioned that someone from one of the local law enforcement agencies would be in touch with her daily.. Something along those lines. I took that to mean either victim's advocate or liaison. Don't know what happened with that, or the former attorney, or the PI who the family had hired.

What I fear is happening is that the only people the family is listening to, keeping around are those who support the murder theory. I'm sorry but that is not supporting the family. Everyone should be after truth and clarity, and be open to that no matter what.

His mom is insisting that she NEEDS to meet and speak to the people who found the clothes, the wallet and spotted the car and those with her are saying that's reasonable. It is not. It's an active investigation.
It sounded to me like she thought it was suspicious that ('bored') college students went looking for him and found some items. But they were pleading with people to keep looking, reminding the public (til this day) that his phone, license plate are still missing. It is not okay to attack anyone who helps or gets involved (and then doesn't make themselves available to the family).

Though it may be frustrating, I prefer when LE keeps a tight leash and doesn't spread bad info/rumors. Fueling the rumor mill is just not good (like people interpreting "liquefied organs" as them being removed and some kind of organ harvesting going on.)

Criminal justice expert says the Jelani Day death investigation lacks evidence to warrant an FBI takeover

WGLT interviewed an expert who thinks it's highly unlikely the FBI will take over.

I was simply implying the burden of sharing evidence shouldn't be on the family.

I was simply implying the burden of sharing evidence shouldn't be on the family.

LE shouldn't be sharing evidence. Imo

I agree on both accounts. I also think this case is going to continue to be an exercise in patience. It's been clear for some time that the family's grief is tremendous and therefore understandable that because of the raw emotions, they're most comfortable sharing only allegations supporting foul play. That said, I think it's best to wait on substantiated information released from authorities. Pursuant to TOS, we need factual, verifiable information.

I'm hopeful that the PI hired by the church will be instrumental in bringing the parties together to answer the primary question of why Jelani abruptly left campus and abandoned his schedule without explanation. We need Jelani's digital footprint -- who he was communicating with and why he drove directly to the dispensary instead of carrying on with his schedule.

ETA: New YT with the PI Sergio Serritella: he also cites the importance of locating Jelani's phone to obtain digital forensics:

CBD's grief is real and pray she knows the world wishes her peace and comfort.

Nonetheless, CBD can't expect his cause of death be ruled a homicide simply because she believes that she knows what her 25 -year-old son would or would not do (drive to Peru).

In the dispensary surveillance photo, I get a sense that he did not want to be recognized, be unknown -- in disguise of his normal self. He's was always dressed so fine. I wonder if it was unusual for Jelani to wear a cap?

I agree on both accounts. I also think this case is going to continue to be an exercise in patience. It's been clear for some time that the family's grief is tremendous and therefore understandable that because of the raw emotions, they're most comfortable sharing only allegations supporting foul play. That said, I think it's best to wait on substantiated information released from authorities. Pursuant to TOS, we need factual, verifiable information.

I'm hopeful that the PI hired by the church will be instrumental in bringing the parties together to answer the primary question of why Jelani abruptly left campus and abandoned his schedule without explanation. We need Jelani's digital footprint -- who he was communicating with and why he drove directly to the dispensary instead of carrying on with his schedule.

ETA: New YT with the PI Sergio Serritella: he also cites the importance of locating Jelani's phone to obtain digital forensics:

@SolR1 to be clear, I do not believe that anyone on the previous page of this thread was suggesting that family share evidence. I first expressed on previous page that I would rather see family do less blaming of LE officials and more statements from family about what they think led him to miss his appointments that day, in order to assist in the investigation. It has been discussed previously that having an idea about what led Jelani to make the decisions he made that day could help the investigation move forward. I never suggested that family share actual evidence. If you look at comments on previous page of this thread you will find this to be true.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back