Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hundreds march in Twin Cities demanding answers for Jelani Day's death

today at Bloomington:

Jackson spoke before the crowd at the police department and said he doesn't buy the LaSalle County Coroner's autopsy results.

"Eyes gouged out, ,body parts destroyed, suicide, we don't accept that narrative," Jackson said.

i think Jesse does this for the spotlight. And I think CBD does it for it to be considered a hate crime to get FBI involvement.

I am surprised the newspaper doesn’t also include the facts that dispute this claim.

today at Bloomington:

Jackson spoke before the crowd at the police department and said he doesn't buy the LaSalle County Coroner's autopsy results.

"Eyes gouged out, ,body parts destroyed, suicide, we don't accept that narrative," Jackson said.

…….weren’t those rumors dispelled? Yet here he is making it sound like this is part of a horror film??

correct me if I’m wrong, please
Feels to me like Jackson is just lighting a bonfire at a gas station full of leaky pumps….

(not firing at you, rainyday! Just frustrated by the situation!)

today at Bloomington:

i think Jesse does this for the spotlight. And I think CBD does it for it to be considered a hate crime to get FBI involvement.

I am surprised the newspaper doesn’t also include the facts that dispute this claim.
…….weren’t those rumors dispelled? Yet here he is making it sound like this is part of a horror film??

correct me if I’m wrong, please
Feels to me like Jackson is just lighting a bonfire at a gas station full of leaky pumps….

(not firing at you, rainyday! Just frustrated by the situation!)
I don’t disagree at all! Jesse has never wanted peace…in anything.

today at Bloomington:

This is disgusting. The La Salle County Coroner reported no such things as eyes gouged out, body parts destroyed, etc. IMO, this erroneous information is alleged for no other reason than to incite and sensationalize.

Why hasn't the FBI taken the lead on the Jelani Day death investigation?

It smells like a hate crime to me, not a suicide, but a homicide,” said the Rev. Courtney Carson of Decatur, one of the organizers of Friday's march. “Why else would someone murder another human being in such a wicked way?”

The FBI defines a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.”

According to the FBI website, the bureau works with local and state authorities when hate crimes are considered, even when federal charges are not filed, and "The FBI is the lead investigative agency for criminal violations of federal civil rights statutes."

Why hasn't the FBI taken the lead on the Jelani Day death investigation?

It smells like a hate crime to me, not a suicide, but a homicide,” said the Rev. Courtney Carson of Decatur, one of the organizers of Friday's march. “Why else would someone murder another human being in such a wicked way?”

The FBI defines a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.”

According to the FBI website, the bureau works with local and state authorities when hate crimes are considered, even when federal charges are not filed, and "The FBI is the lead investigative agency for criminal violations of federal civil rights statutes."
“Why else would someone murder another human being in such a wicked way”?

We see lots of wicked ways humans are murdered by others, so many threads just on WS.

What is driving the hate crime dialogue and wicked classification for JJ’s death?
I must be missing a large piece of information.

To my knowledge, neither the license tags nor cell phone were located.
I'm wondering if, given the location of the car, wallet, and lanyard, if a third party were involved. Not necessarily a party responsible for Jelani's demise, but opportunist(s) who found the car with the other items near the river and ditched them after a joy ride, maybe thinking they could make a profit from the car later.

This was what happened in Erika Lloyd's disappearance. By finding, then taking and wrecking her car, thus leaving a misleading track of evidence, two people likely blew any chance, however slim, of anyone ever finding her alive in the desert.
Found Deceased - CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

If this were the case, careful processing of the car would be hugely important. Unless I missed something, we've heard very little about that.

I'm wondering if, given the location of the car, wallet, and lanyard, if a third party were involved. Not necessarily a party responsible for Jelani's demise, but opportunist(s) who found the car with the other items near the river and ditched them after a joy ride, maybe thinking they could make a profit from the car later.

This was what happened in Erika Lloyd's disappearance. By finding, then taking and wrecking her car, thus leaving a misleading track of evidence, two people likely blew any chance, however slim, of anyone ever finding her alive in the desert.
Found Deceased - CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

If this were the case, careful processing of the car would be hugely important. Unless I missed something, we've heard very little about that.
Unlike EL's case where there was evidence the vehicle was first crashed, and later stolen by two individuals until they were forced to abandon the vehicle when it overheated, there's no evidence JL's vehicle was stolen. JL's body was recovered not far from where the vehicle was safely hidden without damage in the trees. MOO

Time until Jelani Day's body was found did not affect part of the science

10/28/21

[..]

As the investigation into the death of Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day goes on, the time it took to find and identify the body looms larger, as potential evidence external to the body may have washed away while he was in the Illinois River.

The autopsy report WGLT acquired under the Freedom Of Information Act doesn't help much. Over and over again, there is reference to deterioration and predation from aquatic animals.

Much has been made of how the delay in finding the body might have affected the ability of authorities to discern what happened to him. LaSalle County Coroner Rich Ploch said in at least one respect, that's not the case — in the testing of the body. He said if a body is not deteriorated, they test blood, serum, and sometimes fluid from the eye. If the body has decay the preferred test is liver tissue.

"The only difference normally is time frame. That's another reason blood is sent in because those panels can be processed more quickly than tissue samples because it takes extra steps to process a tissue sample," said Ploch.

He said the sensitivity of the tests is the same. And the standards used to determine detectable and significant levels of compounds are uniform and set by federal authorities using decades of experience and scientific research.

Ploch said water and time may have reduced evidence external to Day's body that crime scene investigators might have found useful. But Ploch said it's still too soon to talk about the possibility that it may never be known how Jelani Day came to be in the water.

[..]

One suggested theory was that someone took the car after JJ abandoned it and then drove it to the YMCA. But this before the location of the wallet and lanyard were known, and before the report of a witness seeing near the Lot 14 parking lot (not sure how well-confirmed the witness account is).

Nothing so far has been released about the processing of the car. As I've said before, I am open to changing my mind/reconsidering if there was evidence that someone else had driven the car.

I recall reading a week ago or so that a witness thought the person that dropped the wallet looked like jelani. Does anyone else recall reading that at one point?

Unlike EL's case where there was evidence the vehicle was first crashed, and later stolen by two individuals until they were forced to abandon the vehicle when it overheated, there's no evidence JL's vehicle was stolen. JL's body was recovered not far from where the vehicle was safely hidden without damage in the trees. MOO
You're right. JD's vehicle wasn't crashed. I don't think it would need to be, to be stolen. It was also found over a mile walk from the river. No witnesses tie JD himself to that location AFAIK.

I'm neither in the foul play, nor firmly in the self-harm camps. Just trying to think outside the box. So far there's not clear evidence of a homicide, much less a hate crime. But if it were self-harm, why would he remove the plates, conceal the vehicle and walk 1-1.5 miles to the river? Jumping in the river seems like an impulsive decision. If that's what he indeed did, maybe he left the keys, maybe even the motor running too, on or near a bridge. That's been seen before with other jumpers. Someone maybe saw him leave it, or just happened upon the vehicle similar to EL's case, without knowing where it's owner was. MOO

ETA Can anyone name another self-harm incident where someone removed vehicle license plates?

You're right. JD's vehicle wasn't crashed. I don't think it would need to be, to be stolen. It was also found over a mile walk from the river. No witnesses tie JD himself to that location AFAIK.

I'm neither in the foul play, nor firmly in the self-harm camps. Just trying to think outside the box. So far there's not clear evidence of a homicide, much less a hate crime. But if it were self-harm, why would he remove the plates, conceal the vehicle and walk 1-1.5 miles to the river? Jumping in the river seems like an impulsive decision. If that's what he indeed did, maybe he left the keys, maybe even the motor running too, on or near a bridge. That's been seen before with other jumpers. Someone maybe saw him leave it, or just happened upon the vehicle similar to EL's case, without knowing where it's owner was. MOO

ETA Can anyone name another self-harm incident where someone removed vehicle license plates?

what if he wanted a self harm to appear more as foul play? Instances like that have certainly happened…the recent case with that murdaugh lawyer as an example. Just a thought…or even the hate crime of Jussie smallett. I don’t rule anything out anymore I guess.

Last edited:

Whether traveling from the ISU Bone Student Center or the cannabis dispensary in Bloomington, the route to Peru (YMCA area) was an easy, 60+ mile drive on I-39N.

While it's possible that a car thief went on a one-mile joyride before dumping his vehicle in the trees, I think it's more plausible that JL dumped his vehicle himself.

JL had some serious past and present issues with DMV that might account for him removing his license tags to his vehicle. I recall investigators noted that his vehicle might be missing the tags even before his vehicle was recovered.

I think finding the answer to why JL abruptly abandoned his schedule without sharing his plans is going to explain why both his body and vehicle were recovered in Peru. There will be no manner of death announced until these details are thoroughly investigated.

I remain hopeful the focus by investigators is in locating and determining his contacts and communication on Aug 23. MOO

I recall reading a week ago or so that a witness thought the person that dropped the wallet looked like jelani. Does anyone else recall reading that at one point?

I posted that in the statement made by Jelani's mother, she said that the wallet witness said it was Jelani that dropped the wallet.
https://twitter.com/ABC7Chicago
She doesn't elaborate, so it's unknown if they described him or saw his picture. If this is true, I think it's very telling that she has not disclosed this before. She disclosed it while describing how she wants to have a face-to-face with witnesses. In my opinion, this is very important because it puts Jelani several blocks east of his car's location and in the area where the police asked residents to check their cameras (Chartres St.) It would be hard to believe then that Jelani didn't walk south from there, to the river, where his ID was found in a ditch.
All of this indicates, to me, that he drove the car there and nothing shows he was driving/walking under duress. I also think that if there was any evidence that the family could use to back their position, they would have announced it. That makes me believe that the car had no evidence of any violence, no evidence of another driver, etc. I believe that the car has a navigation system and if it was operating/not intentionally disabled, we would have heard from the family if something suspicious was found, but the information would not be disclosed if the family didn't like the "appearance" of the information in the system.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back