Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
is that there was a tip that lead to the location of the body. Someone knew exactly where Jelani's body would be. In this vast expanse of wilderness that he supposedly selected to conceal a suicide, someone pointed LE directly to the body.
RSBM
It wasn't in any expanse of wilderness, but the car, other items, and body were all found within Peru IL city limits. Anyone fishing or boating, or otherwise near the river, could have provided the tip. I guess I can't see why someone would need any foreknowledge or involvement to provide the tip. MOO

No one told LE where the body was, Jelani's ID was found in a ditch near the river. I believe that at first, that was called a tip and we didn't find out until later that his ID was found. A boat search of the river was organized. No one led them to the body, it was found by searchers that were in/on the river. Jelani's mom knows of the witnesses to the wallet drop and clothes discovery and the car being parked. I am convinced that if there was an important witness, she would challenge their information too. Since he disappeared of his own free will, numerous people online were calling for a search of the river when his car was found in Peru. I don't even live there, but when I looked at a map, I also thought they should get to the river since the other search at the car location turned up nothing.

No one told LE where the body was, Jelani's ID was found in a ditch near the river. I believe that at first, that was called a tip and we didn't find out until later that his ID was found. A boat search of the river was organized. No one led them to the body, it was found by searchers that were in/on the river. Jelani's mom knows of the witnesses to the wallet drop and clothes discovery and the car being parked. I am convinced that if there was an important witness, she would challenge their information too. Since he disappeared of his own free will, numerous people online were calling for a search of the river when his car was found in Peru. I don't even live there, but when I looked at a map, I also thought they should get to the river since the other search at the car location turned up nothing.
Coroner: Body Found In LaSalle County Is Jelani Day

"Fermon did not discuss evidence in the case, but he confirmed police received a tip that brought them to the Illinois River where his body was found."

Something that doesn't add up for me to support a very well-thought-out, but incognito self-harm act (ditching wallet, removing tags, turning off phone, etc.) is that there was a tip that lead to the location of the body. Someone knew exactly where Jelani's body would be. In this vast expanse of wilderness that he supposedly selected to conceal a suicide, someone pointed LE directly to the body.

IMO, this is not a suicide or accidental drowning. There are too many people in the community that have uncovered evidence for this to have been a suicide, for those same people to not also be saying, "Jelani often talked about harming himself at this location, that's how we knew where to look." At which point, there would be several witnesses attesting to his suicidal thoughts and behavior. But, I don't think that's what's happening here.

I also don't think he'd go to these efforts to conceal a suicide if he causally talked about it with, say, the person who led LE to his body.

Too many holes and too much reaching required for the suicide theory. I'm glad folks are pushing for a homicide investigation. What a shame it would be to close the books and let a murderer get away with killing such an amazing young man.

IMO
There are too many people in the community that have uncovered evidence for this to have been a suicide

What/who "many" people of what community have uncovered what "evidence" that shows it wasn't a suicide? The community of Peru didn't even know him. Whether he talked of suicide or not, is not relevant and many, if not most, suicide victims tell no one of their plans.

@NoSpoonFeeding, this is the first I have heard about a witness seeing the car being parked. Is there a valid source for this info?
Yes, a resident saw the car enter the turnout and drive into the wooded area. I have to look for it, but Jelani's mother repeated it and the Peru Police also stated it.

RSBM
It wasn't in any expanse of wilderness, but the car, other items, and body were all found within Peru IL city limits. Anyone fishing or boating, or otherwise near the river, could have provided the tip. I guess I can't see why someone would need any foreknowledge or involvement to provide the tip. MOO

That's a good point. It could have been a fisherman that called in the tip.

His

There are too many people in the community that have uncovered evidence for this to have been a suicide

What/who "many" people of what community have uncovered what "evidence" that shows it wasn't a suicide? The community of Peru didn't even know him. Whether he talked of suicide or not, is not relevant and many, if not most, suicide victims tell no one of their plans.
His clothes, wallet, lanyard, and body (unclear on tip since there are no details released) we're all discovered by people in his community (including college) or tips from people in the community.

ETA And potentially his car.

Since he disappeared of his own free will, numerous people online were calling for a search of the river when his car was found in Peru.

I'd say that's speculation, unless you have a source that confirms he disappeared of his own free will.

I'd say that's speculation, unless you have a source that confirms he disappeared of his own free will.

On the contrary, is there any credible reporting/info that he was forced to drive to Peru or that a third party was involved? was the car seat wrong? Are there fingerprints or DNA that someone else last drove the car?

On the contrary, is there any credible reporting/info that he was forced to drive to Peru or that a third party was involved? was the car seat wrong? Are there fingerprints or DNA that someone else last drove the car?
True. It would be speculation either way and should be stated as such as to not confuse actual facts.

ETA: At this point, it's mostly speculation since there's been little evidence released. And I suppose it depends which camp you fall into, suicide or homicide, that determines how you interpret the facts that we do have.

His

His clothes, wallet, lanyard, and body (unclear on tip since there are no details released) we're all discovered by people in his community (including college) or tips from people in the community.

ETA And potentially his car.

There is absolutely no information that supports this. His clothes were found after his body was recovered, by students who came there because his body was found. Nothing ties the finding of the ID /lanyard, the wallet or the car or the body to anyone from his community.

Videos of him at school, walking about, he left and changed clothes, I'm guessing that was of his own free will too, videos of him driving into parking lot, going into a dispensary, leaving. Phone was turned off at same time he was there. All reviewed with nothing suspicious. The car has been processed, if there was anything suspicious, blood, signs of violence, fingerprints, etc, the family would be using that to back their position and LE would then agree that a crime happened. Per Jelani's mother, someone described Jelani as the person that dropped/tossed the wallet. Clothes at the river, no evidence of violence on clothes, because in my opinion, the family would have some real evidence to back their claims. If I see someone moving about freely, I'm going to assume they are acting under their own free will. No evidence of anyone forcing Jelani to leave school, go to Peru, drop his wallet or walk to the river.

Last edited:
CHICAGO (WLS) -- There is a new development in the death investigation of Illinois State University student Jelani Day.

Day went missing in late August and was later found dead in the Illinois River, however, the details surrounding his death remain a mystery.

Father Michael Pfleger is now joining the fight to get answers in hopes of helping solve the case.

The Chicago priest and activist is donating more than $10,000 towards a private investigation look into his death.

More at Jelani Day autopsy: Fr Pfleger hires private investigator in vow to get answers for mother

https://www.cities929.com/2021/11/1...-of-jelani-days-death-over-threatening-texts/

I think this case will go cold forever. Anyone who comes forward with any info is asking for trouble IMO.

Unbelievable. I'm so sorry for these victims that are suffering for no other reason than going to work on a random August day. :(

I've said it before: news releases full of misinformation and details intended to incite are responsible for this kind of reaction. I also think the agenda-driven should be prosecuted. How long before somebody loses their life over this kind of stuff? :eek:

ETA: I hope Father Michael Pfleger speaks up for these victims too.

MOO

Unbelievable. I'm so sorry for these victims that are suffering for no other reason than going to work on a random August day. :(

I've said it before: news releases full of misinformation and details intended to incite are responsible for this kind of reaction. I also think the agenda-driven should be prosecuted. How long before somebody loses their life over this kind of stuff? :eek:

ETA: I hope Father Michael Pfleger speaks up for these victims too.

MOO
And Reverend Jesse Jackson.

Jelani's phone has been found. By yet another random community member.

Why wouldn't it be found by a "random community member"? the family has said that JJ had no connections with Peru, IL, that someone took him there, that there was no reason for him to be there. So none of his friends, family, or anybody else that might tangentially know him should be finding anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back