Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Jelani's phone has been found. By yet another random community member.
Well I suppose if I was driving down that highway and had a flat tire and pulled over to wait for AAA and picked up a phone lying on the highway you could call me a ‘random’ community member.

Whether traveling from the ISU Bone Student Center or the cannabis dispensary in Bloomington, the route to Peru, Illinois (YMCA area) was an easy, 60+ mile drive on I-39N.
While it's possible that a car thief went on a one-mile joyride before dumping his vehicle in the trees, I think it's more plausible that JL dumped his vehicle himself.
^^rsbbm

I think the best way to counter repeated misinformation about this case is for us to continue posting only fact-based data here while looking closely for any clues of vulnerability that could have led to Jelani finding himself in danger on August 24, without the ability to summon help (i.e., after appearing at the student center, JD seemingly abandoned his meeting and class schedule, drove to a cannabis dispensary, and was never again seen alive).

FOUL PLAY?

In reasons why Jelani's death is believed to be a homicide, the family cites, for one, the recovery location of his vehicle and body: CBD is adamant that Jelani had never been to Peru in his life and no earthly reason why he would travel there!

However, given the evidence below of a few of Jelani's trips, it seems to me that with or without CBD's knowledge, Jelani was a very mobile adult.

By all accounts, there appear to be no obstacles that would have prevented Jelani from easily driving himself 60 miles direct to Peru on August 24.

From Peru's Wikipedia, located on the Illinois River, Peru lies 3 miles (4.8 km) west of the intersection of two major interstate highways: Interstate 39 and Interstate 80.

Because the demographics of Peru seem to be an important factor to his family, I'm including them for comparison to other towns that we know Jelani safely visited (i.e., without ending up drowned in the river).

As of the census of 2000, there were 9,835 people, 4,143 households, and 2,672 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,655.5 people per square mile (639.3/km2). There were 4,413 housing units at an average density of 742.8 per square mile (286.8/km2).

The racial makeup of the city was 96.47% White, 0.32% African American, 0.18% Native American, 1.11% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 1.16% from other races, and 0.75% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.08% of the population.

ROAD TRIPS

From earlier public record searches and WS posts, we learned that Jelani had a very poor driving record, and was cited in at least two Indiana counties, as well as towns throughout his home state, IL.

That said, I think it's fair to ask why Jelani might drive to Newton or Knox Counties of Indiana, or Livingston County, IL (each where Jelani appeared in Court), yet allegedly never drive to Peru?

CBD's insistence on NO Peru is a red flag for me.

If asked about the towns below, would the reaction be the same-- rejected as towns Jelani would never travel to?

To be consistent, I'm using Bloomington, Jelani's last town of residence, to calculate the mileage of a few of Jelani's known trips, in comparison to Peru,
at 60 miles from Bloomington via I-39N.

PERU vs KENTLAND, IN?

For the first example, I offer Jelani driving from Bloomington, IL to Kentland, IN (Newton County), which is about 100 miles via US 24-E.

From Wiki, as of the census of 2000, there were 1,822 people, 733 households, and 477 families living in the town. The population density was 1,250.5 people per square mile (481.8/km2). There were 793 housing units at an average density of 544.3 per square mile (209.7/km2).

The racial makeup of the town was 98.30% White, 0.11% African American, 0.27% Asian, 0.82% from other races, and 0.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.96% of the population.

PERU vs VINCENNES?

Jelani driving from Bloomington, IL to Vincennes, IN (Knox County) is about 182 miles via I-74 and IL 1-S.

Vincennes is located on the banks of the Wabash River at the western edge of Knox County; this is also the western edge of the state of Indiana, and Illinois is across the river to the west.

As of the census of 2000, there were 18,701 people, 7,614 households, and 4,332 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,620.3 people per square mile (1,011.3/km2). There were 8,574 housing units at an average density of 1,201.4 per square mile (463.6/km2).

The racial makeup of the city was 94.34% White, 3.28% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.72% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.48% from other races, and 0.88% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.02% of the population.

PERU vs PONTIAC?

The last example is Jelani driving Bloomington, IL to Pontiac, IL (Livingston County) which is about 38 miles via I-55N.

The significance of this location is that Jelani received his last citation here (Driving 20-25 MPH Above Limit) on August 20, four days before he went missing. He had a scheduled court appearance for this violation on Sept 22.

From the ISU class calendar, we also know that the first day of class for the fall session started on August 17. While Pontiac is only about 38 miles away from ISU, I seem to recall that Jelani also drove home to see his mother in Danville which is in the complete opposite direction of Pontiac. (Danville is about 83 miles southeast of Bloomington (via I-74)). I suppose this driving around would explain reports that Jelani had also missed classes prior to 8/24.

Again, all questions relative to why Jelani would never go to Peru on his own, why did he go to Pontiac on 8/20? Just one more timeline question that remains unanswered.

Per Wiki: Pontiac lies on the Vermilion River. On December 4, 1982, Pontiac had the worst flood in the town's history, cresting at 19.16 feet. The most recent flooding occurred on January 9, 2008, cresting at 18.85 feet, the second worst in the town history.

The Illinois Department of Corrections Pontiac Correctional Center is located in Pontiac. Pontiac housed the male death row when it was still legal. Prior to the January 11, 2003 commutation of death row sentences, male death row inmates were housed in Pontiac, Menard, and Tamms correctional centers. Governor Rod Blagojevich threatened to close down this prison in 2008. The community rose up and protested the closing for many different reasons and it was averted.

As of the census[34] of 2000, there were 11,864 people, 4,139 households, and 2,619 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,263.0 people per square mile (874.2/km2). There were 4,379 housing units at an average density of 835.3 per square mile (322.7/km2).

The racial makeup of the city was 85.39% White, 10.90% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.43% Asian, 2.06% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.37% of the population.

In conclusion, I see no credible evidence to support that Jelani had never or would never travel to Peru on his own, or that simply driving to Peru versus any of the other towns outlined above, supports that Jelani was the victim of homicide. MOO
Pontiac, Illinois - Wikipedia
https://provost.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/Academic-Calendar-2018-2028.pdf
Missing Person: Jelani Day

Why wouldn't it be found by a "random community member"? the family has said that JJ had no connections with Peru, IL, that someone took him there, that there was no reason for him to be there. So none of his friends, family, or anybody else that might tangentially know him should be finding anything.
Jelani Day's phone was found on the side of the interstate in Bloomington

The phone was allegedly found in Bloomington, not Peru.

Jelani's phone has been found. By yet another random community member.
Yes, I expect a murderer instead to turn in a phone.

When Bloomington PD announce the phone belonging to JD was turned in to them, I'll believe it. The story as first told is already being edited to another version. The facts don't ever have to be retold. MOO
I am not buying it yet either. And if it is the phone, it likely holds no info if he was indeed planning a suicide. And i find nothing strange about him throwing out his phone if he was having a mental breakdown of some sort. I would expect it.

I almost think this rumor is something to stir the pot against the Peru police dept.

Well I suppose if I was driving down that highway and had a flat tire and pulled over to wait for AAA and picked up a phone lying on the highway you could call me a ‘random’ community member.

Only, I suppose it's possible it wasn't as random as losing a mattress off a truck, going back to pick it up, and then finding a phone. I think the narrative may change when it's reported what this random does for work.

And more, the area where the phone was easily found was an area Jelani's mom requested to be searched, and apparently never was, according to the previously posted interview.

So again, I suppose if you fall into the suicide camp, this is just another instance of Jelani disposing of his belongings before putting himself in the water. But, if you're leaning towards homicide, then this is someone concealing a crime.

DNA tests from the car, any highway video footage they've pulled, and phone records should bring some clarity to both camps. In the meantime, we're still just speculating and watching a mother work relentlessly (under some judgement) to find out what happened to her son. I suppose she gets the same freedom to speculate until there are more facts released.

Only, I suppose it's possible it wasn't as random as losing a mattress off a truck, going back to pick it up, and then finding a phone. I think the narrative may change when it's reported what this random does for work.

And more, the area where the phone was easily found was an area Jelani's mom requested to be searched, and apparently never was, according to the previously posted interview.

So again, I suppose if you fall into the suicide camp, this is just another instance of Jelani disposing of his belongings before putting himself in the water. But, if you're leaning towards homicide, then this is someone concealing a crime.

DNA tests from the car, any highway video footage they've pulled, and phone records should bring some clarity to both camps. In the meantime, we're still just speculating and watching a mother work relentlessly (under some judgement) to find out what happened to her son. I suppose she gets the same freedom to speculate until there are more facts released.

I take issue with the phrasing "suicide camp." Looking at the released evidence, seeing as nothing (so far) indicates a third party was involved, I just don't see a homicide/murder here. Yet.

The self-harm theory has holes/reaching, sure. But are you suggesting that a criminal/crime in progress would have resulted in JJ turning his phone off with the belongings/body/potential crime scene being 60 miles away?

I disagree that she has the same freedom to speculate as we do. She has a platform, and is fueling/spreading incredibly dangerous speculation on the FB Justice for Jelani page. She literally posted a screenshot of the guy's profile (regarding JJ's phone) asking for people to find him so she can talk to them. Someone is sending explicit threats to the Beyond/Hello dispensary employees alleging they are involved with JJ's death. If she hasn't already, she should denounce the threats of violence and doxxing, as it's discouraging anyone from coming forward and fueling into a vigilante witch hunt.

RSBM
I think you're onto something. Maybe it was an organized crime boss or a plain clothes detective? That's exactly the type of person who might be driving a truck with a poorly secured mattress, posing as a "random" for cover, who could also use a quick $80 from Walmart.

But, if you're leaning towards homicide, then this is someone concealing a crime.
I'm afraid I can't follow your logic. How does one conceal a crime by turning in evidence? Wouldn't it be smarter to toss it in a river instead?

I can't see what value the phone will produce. It was tossed in Bloomington so it couldn't track whatever happened 60 miles later in Peru. The only evidence might be any threatening messages Jelani could have received from anyone prior to his demise (unlikely IMHO).

I do find it interesting that Walmart offers $80 for a smashed phone. My carrier won't offer a dime for trade-in on my outdated phone. So I'm heading over to Walmart as soon as I find my hammer.

@NoSpoonFeeding, this is the first I have heard about a witness seeing the car being parked. Is there a valid source for this info?
Yes, a resident saw the car enter the turnout and drive into the wooded area. I have to look for it, but Jelani's mother repeated it and the Peru Police also stated it.
So I'm guessing there really wasn't a valid source and this is just hearsay. I agree with @Seattle1, the amount of misinformation for this case is growing out of control.
I think the best way to counter repeated misinformation about this case is for us to continue posting only fact-based data here
RSBM

Thanks.
Turn in old cell phones for cash at Walmart
From the link:
Fayle adds that she likes the security feature, "no one can just steal my phone, come here and turn it in to get money." You have to have a state issued id and the entire process is recorded.

I think this feature also further supports the non-criminal intent of "random guy" turning in Jelani's phone.

When she demands that Bloomington police NOT look at the phone, but instead hand it over to the FBI…and the FBI won’t officially take over the case, doesn’t that mean no one will end up looking at the phone? And why is Carmen in complete charge of the case? I feel that may hurt the case more than help it! Anyone who helps gets attacked. I just don’t get it.

Bloomington Police

@cityblmPD

The Rainbow Push Coalition has planned a Jelani Day demonstration that will occur tomorrow, 11/5/2021. Please expect traffic delays, however, at least one traffic lane will be open. More info:

google.com
Jelani Day / Rainbow Push Coalition RPC March - Google マイマップ
Jelani Day / Rainbow Push Coalition RPC March

2:32 PM · Nov 4, 2021

Bloomington Police

@cityblmPD

****TRAFFIC ALERT - Today (11/5/21) between 12:45p-2:15p**** ****Main Streets in Bloomington (East St./Main St) to Normal**** ***At least one lane will be open, however, expect traffic delays*** Complete route map and parking:

google.com
Jelani Day / Rainbow Push Coalition RPC March - Google マイマップ
Jelani Day / Rainbow Push Coalition RPC March

10:11 AM · Nov 5, 2021

ETA: Recalling the misinformation by the AGENDA folks that alleged Bloomington PD turned marchers away, and did not allow them to park and attend the event.

So here are the facts: Bloomington PD provided advance information of both the route and the approved parking designated specifically for the event.

Justice for Jelani means allowing authorities to do their job!

Authenticating and investigating "Jelani's phone" for his last communication is critical to determining why he abruptly abandoned his meetings/classes and left campus on 8/24.

Last edited:
I take issue with the phrasing "suicide camp." Looking at the released evidence, seeing as nothing (so far) indicates a third party was involved, I just don't see a homicide/murder here. Yet.

The self-harm theory has holes/reaching, sure. But are you suggesting that a criminal/crime in progress would have resulted in JJ turning his phone off with the belongings/body/potential crime scene being 60 miles away?

I disagree that she has the same freedom to speculate as we do. She has a platform, and is fueling/spreading incredibly dangerous speculation on the FB Justice for Jelani page. She literally posted a screenshot of the guy's profile (regarding JJ's phone) asking for people to find him so she can talk to them. Someone is sending explicit threats to the Beyond/Hello dispensary employees alleging they are involved with JJ's death. If she hasn't already, she should denounce the threats of violence and doxxing, as it's discouraging anyone from coming forward and fueling into a vigilante witch hunt.

What in the released evidence suggests suicide that couldn't also be argued for foul play?

BBM The only 'camp' I'm in is the camp that will bring a truthful and factual resolution to this mystery based on a thorough investigation by appropriate law enforcement agencies. I'm skeptical of manufactured theories. I'll wait.

BBM The only 'camp' I'm in is the camp that will bring a truthful and factual resolution to this mystery based on a thorough investigation by appropriate law enforcement agencies. I'm skeptical of manufactured theories. I'll wait.

Fair, although for clarity, "you" was general, not specific to you. Perhaps I should have used "one".

Would u smash it if u wanted money for it? If u were a criminal and wanted to prevent it from being found, why not throw it in the river…or smash it in a 1,000 pieces and scatter all the pieces?

Oh, I'm not speculating the worker smashed it. I think he totally found it, wherever he found it, already smashed. I'm just speculating it may not have actually been found roadside. Which means Jelani may not have tossed it enroute to suicide.

However it was found, I'm just interested to find out what's inside.

Oh, I'm not speculating the worker smashed it. I think he totally found it, wherever he found it, already smashed. I'm just speculating it may not have actually been found roadside. Which means Jelani may not have tossed it enroute to suicide.

However it was found, I'm just interested to find out what's inside.

Why would the guy who found it lie about where he found it?
He took it to Walmart and had to ID himself with legal ID in order to turn it in and get some $$ for it.
The police were able to locate him to question him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back