Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was it disclosed anywhere what he bought at the dispensary? They sell edibles too so he didn't necessarily need to smoke anything. Given past threats, I doubt anyone from the dispensary is likely to ever speak publicly about this.
Bloomington, IL Adult-Use Cannabis Menu - Beyond / Hello
Their product reviews are mildly entertaining.
I only recall seeing that the dispensary said he wasn’t a ‘regular’ customer. I don’t see why the family never mentioned whether he had used before or not. But, everything about his history is a big secret.

Did HE want to be a speech pathologist, or did his mom want him to be? I think this mother-son relationship is telling, and the mom needs to be more forthcoming with the authorities.
I am inclined to think that he wanted to be a speech pathologist. His mother has repeatedly said he was studying to be a doctor. The ISU program however, prepares one to practice as a speech pathologist with a masters degree. A very respectable degree and clinical credentials from a highly selective program, but not a doctorate. ISU doesn't offer a doctorate option so he would have needed to pursue that elsewhere. Maybe that was his long term plan, or maybe his mother was confused about that pathway. Getting this type of MS before entering an MD or OD program seems unlikely but not impossible. School had just barely started, so maybe they both were unsure of what exactly he was getting into.

Getting this type of MS before entering an MD or OD program seems unlikely but not impossible.
Oops. I meant DO, not OD program. But after looking into this further, it seems that it is not uncommon in the speech pathology field to pursue either a Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.) or a Doctor of Clinical Science (CScD) degree.

I also don't know if this was shared previously, but this article indicates his undergraduate degree at Alabama A&M was also in speech pathology. So I'm guessing he had a pretty good understanding of his career and degree options in the field when he entered ISU.
Missing A&M Alum Captures Nat'l Attention, Prayers - Alabama A&M University[/QUOTE]

The ISU Website (and YT) has been updated with some relevant, factual information including confirmation that students have patient clients from the beginning -- which we know JD missed on the date he left campus without informing anyone.

YT below also confirms that the Master's program begins in August (i.e., Fall Term: Aug 17 - Dec 3), and ends in August-- two years later.

I think this academic calendar/schedule is very important specifically because of comments by CBD. She's stated on several occasions about badgering JD for his grades, and I believe the grades JD finally shared with CBD shortly before his death were for the Summer Term: May 17-July 30, 2021, and grades out August 3.

I'm also inclined to believe that JD may have been accepted on academic probation where he was required to attend Summer Term to fulfill some of ISU's Graduate Program entry requirements. (Recalling that per CBD, ISU was not JD's first choice but he was not accepted at another program).

I've previously posted the Fall Term academic calendar including the important Add/Drop/Withdraw course dates which happened to land on the very week that JD disappeared. MOO

Academic Calendars
About the Program | Bayh College of Education

Dr. Vicki Hammen discusses the experiences that each CD student will have throughout the program.

Learner Outcomes
When students have completed the graduate program in Communication Disorders they should be able to:

1. Apply theory and anatomical, neurologic, acoustic, and physiologic bases of speech-language, and hearing sciences to the diagnosis and remediation of communication disorders.
  2. Read, interpret, and integrate research findings into educational and clinical applications.
  3. Competently administer, interpret, and report the results of evaluative instruments and procedures.
  4. Plan, implement, revise, and terminate treatment programs using available data.
  5. Solve clinical and instructional problems by forming hypotheses and systematically analyzing and interpreting data to make informed decisions.
  6. Communicate effectively with clients, caregivers, spouses, and professionals to obtain and share information.
  7. Demonstrate a philosophy of continuing education and professional development.
  8. Discuss issues related to professional practice and ethics.
Degree Requirements
Information about the courses and other degree requirements for the Master of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology can be found by clicking here.

Last edited:
The ISU Website (and YT) has been updated with some relevant, factual information including confirmation that students have patient clients from the beginning -- which we know JD missed on the date he left campus without informing anyone.

YT below also confirms that the Master's program begins in August (i.e., Fall Term: Aug 17 - Dec 3), and ends in August-- two years later.

I think this academic calendar/schedule is very important specifically because of comments by CBD. She's stated on several occasions about badgering JD for his grades, and I believe the grades JD finally shared with CBD shortly before his death were for the Summer Term: May 17-July 30, 2021, and grades out August 3.

I'm also inclined to believe that JD may have been accepted on academic probation where he was required to attend Summer Term to fulfill some of ISU's Graduate Program entry requirements. (Recalling that per CBD, ISU was not JD's first choice but he was not accepted at another program).

I've previously posted the Fall Term academic calendar including the important Add/Drop/Withdraw course dates which happened to land on the very week that JD disappeared. MOO

Academic Calendars
About the Program | Bayh College of Education

Dr. Vicki Hammen discusses the experiences that each CD student will have throughout the program.

Learner Outcomes
When students have completed the graduate program in Communication Disorders they should be able to:

1. Apply theory and anatomical, neurologic, acoustic, and physiologic bases of speech-language, and hearing sciences to the diagnosis and remediation of communication disorders.
  2. Read, interpret, and integrate research findings into educational and clinical applications.
  3. Competently administer, interpret, and report the results of evaluative instruments and procedures.
  4. Plan, implement, revise, and terminate treatment programs using available data.
  5. Solve clinical and instructional problems by forming hypotheses and systematically analyzing and interpreting data to make informed decisions.
  6. Communicate effectively with clients, caregivers, spouses, and professionals to obtain and share information.
  7. Demonstrate a philosophy of continuing education and professional development.
  8. Discuss issues related to professional practice and ethics.
Degree Requirements
Information about the courses and other degree requirements for the Master of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology can be found by clicking here.
Good info. Thanks. I think this speaks to your suggestion that some critical event with ISU is important to understanding what happened to Jelani.

He smoked, there were butt(s) in the car.
I know that MJ cigs are often referred to as a "blunt" but I'm only finding that evidence from the car only included partially smoked cigar "blunt."

Read the documents: LaSalle County emails give insight into Jelani Day investigation

618ff8fda6fc1.image.png

Good info. Thanks. I think this speaks to your suggestion that some critical event with ISU is important to understanding what happened to Jelani.

Yes -- I've believed this all along -- determine why JD left campus abruptly without canceling his appointment with (very concerned) Program Director, patient clinic, and classes -- and we will have a better understanding of why JD traveled to the dispensary, tossed his phone near the store and arrived in Peru-- exiting his vehicle near the Illinois River.

Regrettably, we've had very little if any input from family or close contacts to work up any Behavior Analysis to better understand JD's state of mind during his last days. I think the closest we have to someone speaking to JD was from the Program Director that's suffered greatly after publicly sharing her final contact with JD. MOO

Was it disclosed anywhere what he bought at the dispensary? They sell edibles too so he didn't necessarily need to smoke anything. Given past threats, I doubt anyone from the dispensary is likely to ever speak publicly about this.
Bloomington, IL Adult-Use Cannabis Menu - Beyond / Hello
Their product reviews are mildly entertaining.
That's true also, he could have purchased edibles. That's a thought too though IMO. If he bought edibles maybe it was an early snack. Or he was going to have it later on in the day. If it was a snack he could have that anywhere as its not going fill the area he's in with a smoky odor. Maybe he was planning to eat lunch later. So a snack in between would help, maybe he thought. If perhaps he was used to edibles and MJ then he may have known his tolerance level to them. So for him perhaps eating an edible before anything scheduled with his studies that day wasn't going to impair him in any way. He could've thought it may relax him and it was far in between what was scheduled on that day for him at school. MOO all MOO!

I was trying to understand the decision to pursue speech pathology. Some of the quotes in these older articles I came across paint a different picture than in some of the more publicized interviews with CBD. Jelani sounded like a dedicated and purposeful person.

Hundreds of people gather at Alabama A&M to remember Jelani Day
His former professor, Esther Phillips-Embden says his goal in life was to help others by studying speech pathology.

“A field where 3.6% of professionals are African American. And 1% are African American male. A field where he would assist others with limited to no voice to be heard,” she said.

Eastern student seeks help finding missing brother
“Jelani is an amazing person. He’s very smart, he’s very athletic, he’s very ambitious. He has big dreams,” D’Andre Day said.

One of those big dreams is speech pathology. D’Andre Day said his brother wanted to be a speech pathologist after witnessing a friend with a speech problem being bullying when he was younger.

D’Andre Day said he wants to dispel any rumors going around about his brother and encourage people to look at the sources they receive information from. He said he wanted to emphasize that his brother was not depressed, had no mental health issues and was not a drug user.

Even without a gap, entering a selective graduate program could be intense. The program he was entering sounds vastly different than undergrad life.
I agree its more challenging. Saying that IMO Jelani would know prior to beginning his graduate program of the intensity level and committment that will be required afterall he successfully completed his previous requirements to be accepted into graduate school. Plus its the beginning of the semester so classes were getting ready to become more intense. So IMO knowing the level of effort, committment and work involved for this program was already considered by him otherwise IMO he wouldn't have continued with his studies and pursued something else similar.

I only recall seeing that the dispensary said he wasn’t a ‘regular’ customer. I don’t see why the family never mentioned whether he had used before or not. But, everything about his history is a big secret.
Perhaps not "regular" but he didn't seem unsure of his surroundings at the dispensary, he seemed to behave as if he was doing things in accordance to the store's policies. So IMO it wasn't his first time. Maybe he had been there a few times before, perhaps? A few times doen't necessarily mean "regular" but once in a while every now and then. MOO.

Last edited:
I am inclined to think that he wanted to be a speech pathologist. His mother has repeatedly said he was studying to be a doctor. The ISU program however, prepares one to practice as a speech pathologist with a masters degree. A very respectable degree and clinical credentials from a highly selective program, but not a doctorate. ISU doesn't offer a doctorate option so he would have needed to pursue that elsewhere. Maybe that was his long term plan, or maybe his mother was confused about that pathway. Getting this type of MS before entering an MD or OD program seems unlikely but not impossible. School had just barely started, so maybe they both were unsure of what exactly he was getting into.
Maybe she was referring to a generalization because IMO both would have know prior as they would have to research requirement to get into each of his programs.

Yes -- I've believed this all along -- determine why JD left campus abruptly without canceling his appointment with (very concerned) Program Director, patient clinic, and classes -- and we will have a better understanding of why JD traveled to the dispensary, tossed his phone near the store and arrived in Peru-- exiting his vehicle near the Illinois River.

Regrettably, we've had very little if any input from family or close contacts to work up any Behavior Analysis to better understand JD's state of mind during his last days. I think the closest we have to someone speaking to JD was from the Program Director that's suffered greatly after publicly sharing her final contact with JD. MOO
Another possibility is that he didn't cancel his appointment because he had every intention on making that appointment but it was cut out of his life permanentally as he was unable to attend due to unforeseeable circumstances.

The family is urging supporters to deluge Beyond/Hello and the parent company with demands that the entire video be released. Beyond/Hello even removed their Instagram due to the postings. After all this time, have the internet posters influenced them? If they do release it, I hope it shows he has his cellphone, and the timestamps are visible.
Maybe they can blur the employees and any other customers. I hope it's not just an effort to target/identify all the employees. And it could be that they should be careful what they wish for. Next, I hope they demand to release the full video at the campus.

Perhaps not "regular" but he didn't seem unsure of his surroundings at the dispensary, he seemed to behave as if he was doing things in accordance to the store's policies. So IMO it wasn't his first time. Maybe he had been there a few times before, perhaps? A few times doen't necessarily mean "regular" but once in a while every now and then. MOO.
I believe it was the security guard(who was threatened) who said he recognized Jelani from other visits, but that he was not there too often.

I thought his cell phone seemed visible in his back pocket of the picture they released of him leaving the dispensary?

I thought his cell phone seemed visible in his back pocket of the picture they released of him leaving the dispensary?

I can't tell, the quality is poor. I believe I see it in his hand when he enters, at 9:12 am, It was turned off at 9:19 am, I would like to know what time he left and if he turned off the cellphone inside, or if the timing proves he had to have turned it off immediately after leaving.
updated_pics_from_police_-_jelani.jpg

The family is displeased and insulted that, instead of giving them the full video, Beyond/Hello gave the limited video directly to the Pantograph. Understandable, in my opinion. If the family (only) had the full video, I don't believe they would share it with the public.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back