Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the link:

Raymond says all departments involved have worked tirelessly since Jelani Day's disappearance on August 24, 2021. She says since it's an ongoing investigation, no law enforcement agency can publicly or should publicly comment on any part of the investigation. Raymond says Day's case is a priority for all agencies involved and says “We are also committed to continuing to provide Jelani's family with all information that we are at liberty to disclose”.

[..]

The La Salle County Coroner's Office has said Day died from drowning and that there were no signs of trauma before his death.

My opinion remains unchanged: I think any sources with credible information-- more specifically, information about JJ's state of mind in the days leading to his death, were silenced very early and afraid to come forward and speak publicly on behalf of their friend JJ.

While the Cororner's office reported JJ died from drowning and had no signs of trauma before death, the FBI and others still offered rewards for any information about JJ's death.

If there was evidence of foul play here, I don't think you could keep Dateline, 48 hours, etc. away from this featuring a case about a promising doctorate student drowning days before starting the fall semester.

I'm afraid JJ was under a huge amount of pressure that he couldn't escape. :( MOO

My opinion remains unchanged: I think any sources with credible information-- more specifically, information about JJ's state of mind in the days leading to his death, were silenced very early and afraid to come forward and speak publicly on behalf of their friend JJ.

While the Cororner's office reported JJ died from drowning and had no signs of trauma before death, the FBI and others still offered rewards for any information about JJ's death.

If there was evidence of foul play here, I don't think you could keep Dateline, 48 hours, etc. away from this featuring a case about a promising doctorate student drowning days before starting the fall semester.

I'm afraid JJ was under a huge amount of pressure that he couldn't escape. :( MOO
I agree with you. However, I struggle as to why police have kept the investigation open and have not ruled on his manner of death. Is it normal to keep it open when family does not agree with a suicide theory? Or is there no definitive proof that it was suicide (or homicide) and they are waiting for some kind of evidence…perhaps on his phone?

I agree with you. However, I struggle as to why police have kept the investigation open and have not ruled on his manner of death. Is it normal to keep it open when family does not agree with a suicide theory? Or is there no definitive proof that it was suicide (or homicide) and they are waiting for some kind of evidence…perhaps on his phone?
I believe the case remains open in the hope that somebody close to JJ will come forth with information that confirms what detectives believe to be true or evidence that points them elsewhere. For example, there may have been non-criminal info on his phone and that person may not be willing to talk to LE.

I recall the language in the press release when the FBI announced the $10K reward-- seeking tips/info from sources close to JJ.

This seems like borderline harassment.
This woman is obviously heartbroken, I feel badly for her. I hope she has a good support system around her.

I don’t understand her claims that the police had to “coverup” something in their investigation.

If investigators can’t unlock Jelani’s phone, are they trying a “brute force” attack 24/7 to crack it? A six digit code can take 16 years to be found.

This woman is obviously heartbroken, I feel badly for her. I hope she has a good support system around her.
^^rsbm

Sadly, I think the lack of might be part of the grieving mother's issue. :(

Whether it be the event she recorded at the evidence impound garage or a council hearing, seems to me she's always on her own EXCEPT for when organizations with their own agenda see it advantageous to appear in force while capitalizing on her grief.

JMO

Peru PD Chief Raymond: "I want nothing more than to find out what happened" to Jelani Day​

Chief Raymond

Peru Chief of Police Sarah Raymond

Peru Police Chief Sarah Raymond has been in the position nearly three months, and WLPO's Tom Henson sat down with her to discuss her tenure so far. Of course, the subject of Jelani Day was an important topic of the interview.
It's been nearly a year and a half since the mysterious death of Jelani Day, the 25-year-old Illinois State University grad student whose body was recovered from the Illinois River in September 2021, several days after he'd disappeared. This was more than a year before Raymond was promoted to Chief, but at the time, she set up a task force of agencies that continues to work the case.

In this week's interview with WLPO, Raymond was candid about the prospects of a resolution.

Not Confident

At a recent Peru City Council meeting, Jelani's mother Carmen Bolden Day held Raymond accountable for what she called a lack of communication and action on the case. This week, Raymond said she understands Carmen's frustration. And Raymond says she and her colleagues are frustrated, too.

Never Quit

The La Salle County Coroner's Office has said Day died from drowning and that there were no signs of trauma before his death.

Peru PD Chief Raymond: "I want nothing more than to find out what happened" to Jelani Day​

Chief Raymond

Peru Chief of Police Sarah Raymond

Peru Police Chief Sarah Raymond has been in the position nearly three months, and WLPO's Tom Henson sat down with her to discuss her tenure so far. Of course, the subject of Jelani Day was an important topic of the interview.
It's been nearly a year and a half since the mysterious death of Jelani Day, the 25-year-old Illinois State University grad student whose body was recovered from the Illinois River in September 2021, several days after he'd disappeared. This was more than a year before Raymond was promoted to Chief, but at the time, she set up a task force of agencies that continues to work the case.

In this week's interview with WLPO, Raymond was candid about the prospects of a resolution.

Not Confident

At a recent Peru City Council meeting, Jelani's mother Carmen Bolden Day held Raymond accountable for what she called a lack of communication and action on the case. This week, Raymond said she understands Carmen's frustration. And Raymond says she and her colleagues are frustrated, too.

Never Quit

Sadly, I don’t think Jelani’s Mom will be satisfied with anything said by the Peru police department until Jelani’s death is ruled a homicide and a person is charged. It doesn’t appear the police chief is very confident this will happen.

Sadly, I don’t think Jelani’s Mom will be satisfied with anything said by the Peru police department until Jelani’s death is ruled a homicide and a person is charged. It doesn’t appear the police chief is very confident this will happen.
Very true. Her pain is so raw and her loss is tremendous. I'm thinking of a coworker also grieving the loss of a brother and his struggle is invisible to his mother. I just hope CBD remembers she has 4 other children that need her.

Sadly, nothing new in the Chicago NBC video report.

Confirms LE had campus surveillance of JD's arrival and departure from campus under his own power. And it's understandable why nobody that talked to JD at school has come forward. Who can forget what happened to his Director that requested the welfare check?!

A short documentary and very nice tribute to JD by a group of ISU student filmmakers.

Thanks for posting @Silver Spring.

At the end of the video, was this Jelani featured on the stage doing the invocation?

I'm so glad that this young man was recovered on Sept 4 -- only a few days missing but sometimes I ask myself if not finding him might have been easier on his mother. I'm so sorry she had to bury her son -- her favorite child. I hope she can find some joy in building his Foundation. :(

So the NBC Chicago video does confirm the location of where JJ"s phone was found - coordinates of
40.47036, -89.03077

The video states Interstate 55, northbound, around the Mile 158 marker. The intersection of U.S 150 and interstate 55 is Mile 159, so I backtracked a mile.

That area is pretty much a near 1:1 match for what I mapped out just over a year ago. Found Deceased - IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

With the greatest possible sensitivity, this does not follow any kind of playbook of any homicide or cover-up I've ever seen. As far as I can tell, without any evidence that someone else was in or drove the car, or that someone else handled/discarded his items (wallet, phone, lanyard, etc.), I do not believe this is a homicide. IMO.

In the approximately 24 months since Day’s death, investigators have been stymied on key questions such as the manner in which he died, what brought him to the Illinois Valley and how did he spend his final hours? Day’s family, friends, the community and law enforcement are still searching for answers.

Carmen Bolden Day, Day’s mother, said in a recent interview that her son was a strong person. She said he was a donor match for his father, who had been diagnosed with leukemia, and was preparing to help him.

“Why would Jelani take his life? Why would Jelani let something happen to him? He wouldn’t. He had too much to live for,” she said. “Jelani always talked about what he was going to do – what he was going to do for me, what he was going to do for his dad.”

Police have classified Day’s case as a death investigation and said they have no leads. The La Salle County Coroner’s Office has said Day’s cause of death was drowning with no signs of struggle, but his mother maintains her son did not die by suicide and has suspected foul play.

“I have no factual information to prove that it was a suicide, a murder, an accident, or anything other than that, based on what we have right now,” said Peru Police Chief Sarah Raymond, who heads the task force investigating Jelani Day’s death. “All we know is that it is a death investigation and it’s only suspicious in nature because we don’t know. There are so many unknowns.”

Bolden Day said she believes law enforcement has not done enough in her son’s case.

“I want to see them work,” Day said. “I don’t want them to keep telling me there’s nothing because he was not a ghost. ... They’re not doing enough. There’s no urgency for me from the task force to find out what happened to Jelani.”

Carmen Bolden Day with her son Jelani Day.

"She said he was a donor match for his father, who had been diagnosed with leukemia, and was preparing to help him."

This is what makes me wonder if he really would commit suicide considering the circumstances around his father's health. OTOH, suicidal people are not acting rationally.

"She said he was a donor match for his father, who had been diagnosed with leukemia, and was preparing to help him."

This is what makes me wonder if he really would commit suicide considering the circumstances around his father's health. OTOH, suicidal people are not acting rationally.

My thoughts on this haven't changed in more than a year.

I don't think I'd be frequenting a retail MJ store if being a donor for my Father was at the top of my list. The competitive Masters program JD was enrolled in also requires drug testing and if following federal law, MJ is a prohibited substance. JMO

I question if JD could go through with it. I believe there was no doubt in his heart that he wanted to do this but the reality might be different. I'm not sure JD was in the right frame of mind to make that decision. If so, he probably would not have been smoking weed if he was seriously preparing to be a donor where the intent is to infuse healthy blood forming stem cells to replace the recipient's damaged or diseased cells. Typically, donors are expected to be free of chemicals.

My thoughts on this haven't changed in more than a year.

I don't think I'd be frequenting a retail MJ store if being a donor for my Father was at the top of my list. The competitive Masters program JD was enrolled in also requires drug testing and if following federal law, MJ is a prohibited substance. JMO

Marijuana doesn't affect bone marrow production. Prospective donors do need to be tested for various infections like HIV, hepatitis, CMS, herpes, etc, but whether or not they smoke marijuana isn't an issue.

The drug test is a one time thing that students are supposed to get before starting school. Was there info shared that Jelani hadn't yet gotten his drug test? I would be surprised if students would get in trouble for having marijuana in their systems when it's legal in Illinois.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back