Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically: If this is a suicide, he may have been really distressed. Wanted to get away from his sadness, just escape, so his initial instinct was to drive away from home, away from school. Just drive and go somewhere new. Get away from anyplace familiar. A fresh restart. But when he got to Peru, which was an unfamiliar place for him by all accounts, his problems hadn't gone anywhere. He was still depressed. His mind was still swirling with suicidal thoughts. He felt trapped. There was no escape. He couldn't take it for another second. He saw the river, he saw the bridge: he saw freedom.

That being said, I still feel foul play is just as likely.

In this hypothetical, it would make sense getting in the car and going for a drive, aimlessly. I CAN see that (with someone depressed, but am not/cannot say with Jelani because there is just no evidence about his mental state).

What doesn't make sense (to me) is everything else. While I understand that suicide is (most often) irrational, if he did this, there is too much that doesn't make sense for what is known about him. Assuming he went straight to Peru, it's broad daylight. He doesn't know the area or the river. A lot of risk factors there, assuming there would be enough privacy. Assuming no-one would notice him on his walk to the river, mulling around the river upset, taking clothes off, jumping in.. A lot of.potential opportunities for someone to see him, call authorities.

Also, for a guy who seems to be private (no social media, for example) and who (in this hypothetical) was suffering silently, I would think a more private suicide. I know, I know.. As an irrational act, one is not thinking rationally.

I agree that foul play is just as likely.

I am also conflicted on whether this is suicide or foul play, until more details are known…

I will say - I know he seems “unlikely” to commit suicide, but from my own personal experience, it can certainly happen.

I am a bubbly, happy, social person who had just bought a house and absolutely loved my new job. Yet I silently struggled with depression and substance abuse - not one person in my family/friends knew. One day I showed up to work, ready for the day (as Jelani was dressed and seemingly ready for his), when something just snapped. I just couldn’t do it anymore. I ditched my car in an area I’ve never been (I don’t know why - no reason), and caught an Uber home. I didn’t alert anyone. I likely would’ve died at home had the police not gotten involved, and people would have been very confused - I was happy, showed up at work that morning….then disappeared, car gone.

I only share this story to reinforce that sometimes things just don’t make sense. If he was hiding depression, perhaps he went to class ready for the day and, like me, just suddenly….couldn’t.

If it was suicide, I wish he could’ve gotten help, like I did. I’m so saddened that this was his outcome.

I have not seen anyone speaking about him in msm from his social group plus he’s not visible on social media like TikTok or other sites. There’s just nothing. No former employer or fellow coworkers being interviewed. Nothing even from his neighbors or others in the apartment complex. Not even the property manager. We know very little about him.
:(

A couple of co-workers did speak briefly.. I don't know if they were interviewed on camera because it was print media.
There are friends and classmates who have posted about him. He lived in his current apartment for a VERY short amount of time (days? Weeks?) so why a property manager would speak if they can't offer anything of value.

I disagree that we know very little about him. His family has spoken about him a lot. Is it that unusual for a family to be the main source of information on who the missing/deceased person is/was? That's who media wants to talk to. From what I have seen, friends and classmates have been focused on finding him and figuring out what happened. Moo.

I am also conflicted on whether this is suicide or foul play, until more details are known…

I will say - I know he seems “unlikely” to commit suicide, but from my own personal experience, it can certainly happen.

I am a bubbly, happy, social person who had just bought a house and absolutely loved my new job. Yet I silently struggled with depression and substance abuse - not one person in my family/friends knew. One day I showed up to work, ready for the day (as Jelani was dressed and seemingly ready for his), when something just snapped. I just couldn’t do it anymore. I ditched my car in an area I’ve never been (I don’t know why - no reason), and caught an Uber home. I didn’t alert anyone. I likely would’ve died at home had the police not gotten involved, and people would have been very confused - I was happy, showed up at work that morning….then disappeared, car gone.

I only share this story to reinforce that sometimes things just don’t make sense. If he was hiding depression, perhaps he went to class ready for the day and, like me, just suddenly….couldn’t.

If it was suicide, I wish he could’ve gotten help, like I did. I’m so saddened that this was his outcome.

Thanks for sharing and I am glad you got help.

I totally agree that people can appear fine or even excellent and can take their life, leaving loved ones in disbelief.

If you don't mind addressing some of the following as I think about how it relates to Jelani's case--

If heaven forbid you hurt yourself and an investigation had to be done.. would LE have been able to find out about the substance abuse? Through financials, phone calls or communication records, interviews with doctors, friends, or anyone who even unknowingly helped provide the substances? Would traces of depression have shown up in a thorough digital forensic exam? Changes in music streamed, Google searches, websites visited?

Thank you for sharing your experience. So glad you got the intervention needed that day, and (presumably) support since to recover / maintain your mental health.

I think it is so unfortunate that the history of shame surrounding mental health challenges and suicide has led to the misperception from the public that suicidal ideation (and completion) only happens in people who “are showing signs”. As I understand it, this dynamic is even more prevalent in Black communities.

While many of the circumstances surrounding JJ’s death don’t seem to make sense, this doesn’t rule out self-harm to me. Suicidal thoughts often don’t make sense (to the person experiencing them, to their loved ones, and to sleuthers alike) - and this is the point.

People who complete suicide have not (always) rationally concluded that self-harm is the best course of action after a prolonged period of emotional suffering. Instead, many who have experienced these feelings describe them as @mewmew did - as a more sudden onset of strong feelings. This is exactly why suicide is such a pernicious problem!

I’m not caught up on the threat but I saw some posts that I could clarify.
1) I went to a state school for my masters and used federal loans to fund it. I worked PT but made 10/hr and my one bedroom apartment was about $800. The govt gave me TONS of extra money. Like I mean $8k/semester for living expenses etc. loan disbursement amounts for graduate school are MUCH different compared to undergrad.

2) if you’ve never been to a dispensary in IL, I would say the experience is similar to a DMV but with facial recognition, more cameras, and just as many lines. You don’t browse the aisles while you shop. You get put in line, walk to a counter and tell the associate what you want. Your id should be out essentially at all times and most stores only accept cash.

Thank you for sharing your experience. So glad you got the intervention needed that day, and (presumably) support since to recover / maintain your mental health.

I think it is so unfortunate that the history of shame surrounding mental health challenges and suicide has led to the misperception from the public that suicidal ideation (and completion) only happens in people who “are showing signs”. As I understand it, this dynamic is even more prevalent in Black communities.

While many of the circumstances surrounding JJ’s death don’t seem to make sense, this doesn’t rule out self-harm to me. Suicidal thoughts often don’t make sense (to the person experiencing them, to their loved ones, and to sleuthers alike) - and this is the point.

People who complete suicide have not (always) rationally concluded that self-harm is the best course of action after a prolonged period of emotional suffering. Instead, many who have experienced these feelings describe them as @mewmew did - as a more sudden onset of strong feelings. This is exactly why suicide is such a pernicious problem!
Extremely well stated (your last paragraph in particular), IMO.

I understand his mum's anger and I appreciate that she's sharing information with the public but the premature information about the autopsy (without actual report being released) has generated a LOT of misinformation amongst people who don't understand decomposition.
Because mum/attorney has said that the organs were gone, people online have jumped to organ trafficking. o_O A YTer I'm usually neutral on (Christina Randall) also posted a video that originally had a clickbait title (it's been changed now but it was smth like 'organs missing????').
I fear this is going to totally derail the public backing on JJ's case. If they DO conclude suicide and find some compelling evidence, the public is not going to believe it because they read a headline about his eyeballs being pulled out and sold on the black market.
Twitter demands justice for Jelani Day after autopsy finds organs were removed from his body
*I'm guessing when or if the full autopsy report is released, it'll be revealed that organs WERE present but were no longer identifiable (not gone), or when the first pathologist did the autopsy, which usually involves removing and weighing/taking samples of all relevant organs, they did not bother putting the very liquified organs back in the body and classified it as medical waste or something.

Last edited:
I understand his mum's anger and I appreciate that she's sharing information with the public but the premature information about the autopsy (without actual report being released) has generated a LOT of misinformation amongst people who don't understand decomposition.
Because mum/attorney has said that the organs were gone, people online have jumped to organ trafficking. o_O A YTer I'm usually neutral on (Christina Randall) also posted a video that originally had a clickbait title (it's been changed now but it was smth like 'organs missing????').
I fear this is going to totally derail the public backing on JJ's case. If they DO conclude suicide and find some compelling evidence, the public is not going to believe it because they read a headline about his eyeballs being pulled out and sold on the black market.
Twitter demands justice for Jelani Day after autopsy finds organs were removed from his body
*I'm guessing when or if the full autopsy report is released, it'll be revealed that organs WERE present but were no longer identifiable (not gone), or when the first pathologist did the autopsy, which usually involves removing and weighing/taking samples of all relevant organs, they did not bother putting the very liquified organs back in the body and classified it as medical waste or something.

Another reminder of how many people understand so little about basic biology, science, etc. If someone watches any of the fictional crime shows on tv, they would know these basic facts. If only people could use social media for good - to understand real facts, science, etc.

Agree with you completely on this. That opinion piece was not helpful either, even if it is an opinion piece and not a news article, as many seem to be interpreting it to be.
I think some are using it for clickbait, like you said, and others just have a genuine distrust for the law. Shame on the first group, always. For the second group who doesn't trust the investigation, that's fair (I have many questions myself), but posting or sharing anything that is not helpful or not going to be helpful is so counterproductive.

Another reminder of how many people understand so little about basic biology, science, etc. If someone watches any of the fictional crime shows on tv, they would know these basic facts. If only people could use social media for good - to understand real facts, science, etc.
I'm always complaining on WS about the lack of information being released publicly but when I see instances like this...I understand why LE often chooses to keep this stuff to themselves. It'll get misconstrued so quickly.

I hope JJ's loved ones are receiving good guidance and someone to explain the findings. I may be a long time crime hag, but what I don't know could fill an ocean and what I do know could fill a medium sized bucket. And if it came to one of my near and dears, I would probably not be able to process much of anything with any sort of objective thought.

Unfortunately, I think the damage is already done here and I believe many of us here from the beginning saw this when the attorney Bezner came on board seemingly to "control the reporting." IMO, it's also no mistake that no credible MSM reported from the Chicago Sun "commentary" about the autopsy -- days after the mother criticized the FBI's approach. I'm also not a fan of strictly filtering public information via the grieving parent. I belive many wanting to contribute to the facts -- especially the timeline leading up to JD's disappearance got the message early. MOO

ETA: You can't put the Genie back in the bottle. After authorities are appalled at information by the commentary -- and rumors spreading like wildfire, the following statement released:

In a statement on Monday, Jelani’s mother pushed back against the speculation that his organs were missing.

“Some things need and have to be clarified. No organs were missing. I do not want to stray off from the facts. There were contradicting facts from the first preliminary autopsy compared to the second independent autopsy, but this is not a case of organ harvesting, however, my son did not put himself in a river. My son was murdered and my goal and purpose are to find out what happened and hold those responsible accountable!!!” the statement read.

Questions surrounding the death of Jelani Day continue

Last edited:
I hope the cause and manner of his tragic death are clear at the conclusion of the autopsy.
This case badly needs clarity.

The rumors going around shouldn't have been able to take flight. They must be making this so much worse for his family. I wish the authorities were able to make a statement to quell the rumors.

I hope the cause and manner of his tragic death are clear at the conclusion of the autopsy.
This case badly needs clarity.

The rumors going around shouldn't have been able to take flight. They must be making this so much worse for his family. I wish the authorities were able to make a statement to quell the rumors.
This is still a pending investigation where facts have not and should not be released.

Authorities did not make the misleading statements -- that information all came from independent commentary and the attorney allegedly citing from a second, independent autopsy ordered by the family.

JD's mother clarified on Monday:

“Some things need and have to be clarified. No organs were missing. I do not want to stray off from the facts. There were contradicting facts from the first preliminary autopsy compared to the second independent autopsy, but this is not a case of organ harvesting, however, my son did not put himself in a river. My son was murdered and my goal and purpose are to find out what happened and hold those responsible accountable!!!” the statement read.

Questions surrounding the death of Jelani Day continue

On the possibility of homicide, does anyone here find this possibility most likely - What are the known facts that point toward the possibility?

ETA: This is my understanding so far. Please correct me if I'm wrong:
- His vehicle had a missing license plate, his wallet was found in a separate location from his vehicle / himself, he may have never before been to the area where he's been located... What else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz