Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jelani's disappearance and death are being investigated by LE as suspicious:

To my knowledge, it's uncontested that on 8/24/21, Jelani arrived on campus early morning in his professional dress where he had a pre-scheduled morning appointment with his advisor, an afternoon class, followed by a clinic with a patient.

For reasons still not explained, it appears that not long after he arrived on campus, Jelani impulsively and/or abruptly abandoned his scheduled plans at school and instead traveled to a legal, retail dispensary where he purchased marijuana sometime around 9:30 AM and was never seen again alive. His phone was also turned off or stopped tracking about this time.

By all accounts - Jelani never canceled his appointments or let anybody know he would not be attending classes, and it remains a mystery how his car came to be driven to Peru, IL, abandoned near the YMCA, and his body in the Illinois River.

It would be most unforgiving if investigators did not first question why Jelani abandoned his schedule on 8/24 without explanation. Although it's not illegal for an adult to voluntarily disappear, IMO, from both the trained and untrained perspective, Jelani's personal actions to leave campus that morning appear impulsive or reactionary, and not the result of a criminal act.

This is not to say that Jelani ending up in the Illinois River was not a homicidal act but before one can get anywhere near that conclusion, it follows that the first order is to understand what Jelani's mindset was on 8/24 when he went from a typical morning of arriving at campus, buying a coffee, to changing out of his professional attire to shorts, t-shirt, trainers, and driving to the weed store! Seriously, this is investigative missing persons 101 practice.

What did Jelani learn that morning that caused him to change his mind and his behavior?

Under the circumstances, as reported, it also follows that local investigators have called on the FBI Behavioral Unit to assist in developing a profile for Jelani to answer these very important questions.

Given that the family requested the FBI's involvement, I'm trying to understand why the family appears to NOT want these questions asked.

And I'm also trying to understand why nobody will answer the profiling questions as to what Jelani was doing for the last three years since graduating AAMU (2018) until he entered his Master's program at ISU (2021).

Did he join the military after graduating AAMU?
Was he working in a clinic?
Recovering from an illness, volunteering, traveling?

Most recently, JD's mom told Chicago Public Radio (CPR) host that Jelani was persistent at asking for and receiving money from both his mom and siblings -- especially when he wanted to travel but we also know one of his last messages to his mother was allegedly about confirming repayment arrangements for his Aunt.

By all accounts, JD was an unemployed, full-time grad student when he disappeared which even if his tuition was being covered by other means, leaves the question of how he was paying his rent, food, auto insurance, fuel, etc.

Was his mother supporting him? Did JD borrow money from a source known to retaliate in homicidal violence?

ISU confirms JD was a first-year grad student in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders program but I'd also like confirmation of when Jelani actually enrolled at ISU. While some reports state he'd just entered the program, we know from his mother that she had been requesting copies of his grades from the last semester which she said he finally texted to her not long before he disappeared.

I think these are all reasonable questions of any missing person turned suspicious death. How can there be any developments in this case without such basic information? How can this investigation move forward with justice for Jelani and his loved ones until the elephant is cleared out of the room?

And yes, by all means, LE must be held accountable for any specific violations but until there are facts to support allegations of police involvement and a cover-up, it needs to stop. It's such a disservice to investigators and the medical examiner/coroner to only read how they failed Jelani and his family because one doesn't like the professional finding or results from a thorough investigation.

And I truly hope that Jelani's ISU program advisor that set off the alarm with campus security by requesting a welfare check on Jelani is receiving support. Awful allegations about her on various platforms for exercising her experience and training, under the circumstances. She must fear for her own safety.

MOO

ISU community comes together to remember Jelani Day
It was easy to miss the explanation, because some videos of Jelani's mom talking about money for Aunt Ruby, were cut off. Money was being collected from each family member to pay for an Airbnb for Thanksgiving get-together.

To my knowledge, it's uncontested that on 8/24/21, Jelani arrived on campus early morning in his professional dress where he had a pre-scheduled morning appointment with his advisor, an afternoon class, followed by a clinic with a patient.

For reasons still not explained, it appears that not long after he arrived on campus, Jelani impulsively and/or abruptly abandoned his scheduled plans at school and instead traveled to a legal, retail dispensary where he purchased marijuana sometime around 9:30 AM and was never seen again alive. His phone was also turned off or stopped tracking about this time.

By all accounts - Jelani never canceled his appointments or let anybody know he would not be attending classes, and it remains a mystery how his car came to be driven to Peru, IL, abandoned near the YMCA, and his body in the Illinois River.

It would be most unforgiving if investigators did not first question why Jelani abandoned his schedule on 8/24 without explanation. Although it's not illegal for an adult to voluntarily disappear, IMO, from both the trained and untrained perspective, Jelani's personal actions to leave campus that morning appear impulsive or reactionary, and not the result of a criminal act.

This is not to say that Jelani ending up in the Illinois River was not a homicidal act but before one can get anywhere near that conclusion, it follows that the first order is to understand what Jelani's mindset was on 8/24 when he went from a typical morning of arriving at campus, buying a coffee, to changing out of his professional attire to shorts, t-shirt, trainers, and driving to the weed store! Seriously, this is investigative missing persons 101 practice.

What did Jelani learn that morning that caused him to change his mind and his behavior?

Under the circumstances, as reported, it also follows that local investigators have called on the FBI Behavioral Unit to assist in developing a profile for Jelani to answer these very important questions.

Given that the family requested the FBI's involvement, I'm trying to understand why the family appears to NOT want these questions asked.

And I'm also trying to understand why nobody will answer the profiling questions as to what Jelani was doing for the last three years since graduating AAMU (2018) until he entered his Master's program at ISU (2021).

Most recently, JD's mom told Chicago Public Radio (CPR) host that Jelani was persistent at asking for and receiving money from both his mom and siblings -- especially when he wanted to travel but we also know one of his last messages to his mother was allegedly about confirming repayment arrangements for his Aunt.

By all accounts, JD was an unemployed, full-time grad student when he disappeared which even if his tuition was being covered by other means, leaves the question of how he was paying his rent, food, auto insurance, fuel, etc.

Was his mother supporting him? Did JD borrow money from a source known to retaliate in homicidal violence?

ISU confirms JD was a first-year grad student in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders program but I'd also like confirmation of when Jelani actually enrolled at ISU. While some reports state he'd just entered the program, we know from his mother that she had been requesting copies of his grades from the last semester which she said he finally texted to her not long before he disappeared.

I think these are all reasonable questions of any missing person turned suspicious death. How can there be any developments in this case without such basic information? How can this investigation move forward with justice for Jelani and his loved ones until the elephant is cleared out of the room?

And yes, by all means, LE must be held accountable for any specific violations but until there are facts to support allegations of police involvement and a cover-up, it needs to stop. It's such a disservice to investigators and the medical examiner/coroner to only read how they failed Jelani and his family because one doesn't like the professional finding or results from a thorough investigation.

And I truly hope that Jelani's ISU program advisor that set off the alarm with campus security by requesting a welfare check on Jelani is receiving support. Awful allegations about her on various platforms for exercising her experience and training, under the circumstances. She must fear for her own safety.

MOO

1000 likes! I’m disgusted at how this is being played out on social media. If I were the program advisor I would hire a body guard.

A search of court records in Vermillion County show he spent time in the Danville area after he graduated. He was ticketed for driving on a suspended license 2018 and driving an uninsured vehicle 2021
Thank you for this information. A suspended license at age 22 (2018) can represent many things and an uninsured vehicle in 2021 could be another indication of money trouble. Nonetheless -- both can be very stressful regardless of age.

My Illinois Driver's License Was Suspended: What Do I Do Now? | John M Quinn

ETA: From the Vermillion Public Record - it's possible that JD was not eligible to seek to reinstate his driver's license until 5/19/21. These driving issues may have prompted JD to remove his plates from the vehicle.

Last edited:
Thank you. I remember that now. So sorry.

It wasn't discussed much when the info first came out -- probably because there really wasn't much info revealed! I hope they are able to get more helpful information from the body in the coming days.

A search of court records in Vermillion County show he spent time in the Danville area after he graduated. He was ticketed for driving on a suspended license 2018 and driving an uninsured vehicle 2021

I checked the Vermillion County site - the link is http://mycase.in.gov - and I only see two cases. In 2017, he entered a plea of no contest to speeding (as I understand it, basically guilty). in 2018, he was charged with reckless driving, but it was later dismissed without prejudice.

ETA: In 2018 the state agreed to defer prosecution which was why it was dismissed (but IIRC "without prejudice" means the state can file charges again). It then says that they attempted to mail something to him in 7/2019 but it was returned.

it seems that the mycase.in.gov website is for all non-confidential cases in the state (at least those that use the system).

ETA 2: I have no idea why Vermillion is sending me to use the Indiana state website, but it's definitely the correct JD, as the birthday and address matches.

ETA 3: There are two Vermillion Counties, adjacent to each other; Vermillion County, IL is on the border of the state of Indiana; the Vermillion County, IL circuit court does not have any records online (see Judici)

Thank you for this information. A suspended license at age 22 (2018) can represent many things and an uninsured vehicle in 2021 could be another indication of money trouble. Nonetheless -- both can be very stressful regardless of age.

ETA: From the Vermillion Public Record - it's possible that JD was not eligible to seek to reinstate his driver's license until 5/19/21. These driving issues may have prompted JD to remove his plates from the vehicle.

Just curious, but what would removing the plates do? Wouldn't that draw more attention to the car and make it more likely that LE might pull him over?

Last edited:
Vermillion county in illinois has its own website…not judici. When searching for him, type his last name first…then first name. Birth year is 1996, and middle name is J. These would be violations on the illinois side. The uninsured vehicle ticket was in April.

while the suspended license and uninsured vehicle aren’t ‘huge’ violations, they aren’t typical of a college graduate…

Last edited:
This summarizes everything I have been thinking. What has he been up to for the past three years?

Jelani worked at a "family advocacy organization" after graduating from Alabama A&M.

"Day was raised in Danville, and was well known throughout town as a man who would make the world a better place.

"It is tough when you find out someone you beloved coworker, a beloved son of Danville, Illinois, is now gone," said Kris Bell, a friend and former co-worker of Day.

After Day graduated from Alabama A&M, the two worked together at a family advocacy organization
to help others with parenting and anger management."

Family and friends of Jelani Day pushing for justice

BBM

Just curious, but what would removing the plates do? Wouldn't that draw more attention to the car and make it more likely that LE might pull him over?
^^rsbm

I don't think the plate was removed by Jelani while he was driving but removed when parked to avoid the vehicle being seized versus towed. Vehicle seizure is a risk if the owner's license is suspended. Since we know the vehicle had plates when seen at the dispensary, I suppose the tags could have been stolen but it's another mystery why it was reported that the vehicle could be missing its tags before it was located.

Also, I wonder if JL had a valid driver's license at the time of his death?

Jelani worked at a "family advocacy organization" after graduating from Alabama A&M.

"Day was raised in Danville, and was well known throughout town as a man who would make the world a better place.

"It is tough when you find out someone you beloved coworker, a beloved son of Danville, Illinois, is now gone," said Kris Bell, a friend and former co-worker of Day.

After Day graduated from Alabama A&M, the two worked together at a family advocacy organization
to help others with parenting and anger management."

Family and friends of Jelani Day pushing for justice

BBM
^^bbm

From KB's description, I think this is the family advocacy organization (treatment center). I hope the FBI Behavioral Unit interviewed KB -- it would be good to know if they also helped Jelani re. deferred sentence and license suspension.

New Directions

MOO

An excellent summarization and questions to be answered.

Maybe someone can answer this, but what bothered me most was his mother wanting to see JD's grades from ???? we don't know. But why did she want to see his grades? Was she worried that he was struggling?

I requested my son send me his grades from school but because he was an adult, he didn't have to and he didn't. The reason: I knew he was struggling and he didn't want me to see how bad it was. He was secretly relieved when we took him out of this particular university because he was in over his head and he didn't want to admit it or disappoint us.

I'm just wondering if the same thing was going on with JD.

An excellent summarization and questions to be answered.

Maybe someone can answer this, but what bothered me most was his mother wanting to see JD's grades from ???? we don't know. But why did she want to see his grades? Was she worried that he was struggling?

I requested my son send me his grades from school but because he was an adult, he didn't have to and he didn't. The reason: I knew he was struggling and he didn't want me to see how bad it was. He was secretly relieved when we took him out of this particular university because he was in over his head and he didn't want to admit it or disappoint us.

I'm just wondering if the same thing was going on with JD.
I agree. I also think he was struggling. I think he was probably an excellent young man, but he seems like he was in over his head.

1000 likes! I’m disgusted at how this is being played out on social media. If I were the program advisor I would hire a body guard.

I guess I have missed most of the speculation and hostility towards her so I can only imagine, but it sounds like a great campaign to encourage good people to never get involved or sound the alarm when something is amiss.

^^rsbm

I don't think the plate was removed by Jelani while he was driving but removed when parked to avoid the vehicle being seized versus towed. Vehicle seizure is a risk if the owner's license is suspended. Since we know the vehicle had plates when seen at the dispensary, I suppose the tags could have been stolen but it's another mystery why it was reported that the vehicle could be missing its tags before it was located.

Also, I wonder if JL had a valid driver's license at the time of his death?

Is it your opinion that he parked his vehicle in the woods where it was found and removed his plates there or something else?

While previously I considered that someone had taken his car's plate to use on their own cars to commit crimes (which is pretty common especially with abandoned cars which may still have insurance attached), I'm also considering that it's possible that he removed his own license plate and hid it somewhere because he thought the car couldn't be traced back to himself otherwise (didnt know about vin number?) and he wanted to hide a potential suicide :( Perhaps he went for a walk a few blocks away and tossed his plate and wallet (and that's why the wallet was found around that area, someone had removed it from where-ever it was tossed and looked thru it for cash).

Personally I'd rather have my family know I killed myself then to go missing forever and my family never knowing, but judging by what I know from his family and the comments his mother has made about suicide being a sin in their religion, perhaps he DID think that simply going missing would cause his family less grief and perhaps less shame directed towards him.

Last edited:
I can relate to JJ because I also just started my first year of a graduate program this Sept. Ofc I don't know how ISU formatted its first couple weeks but here, it was STRESSFUL! A lot of (zoom) meetings on all the requirements you have to complete, how professional you'll have to be, a lot of noting down hard deadlines, etc etc. If you're already feeling down and not confident on how you'll do, I can see how this could put someone over the edge. I've thought a few times of quitting just hearing about all that's expected of me.

According to the interview I recently posted of his mother, the car belonged to his grandfather. Safe to guess it wasn't registered to Jelani.
I recall mother saying the car was gifted to Jelani by his late grandfather -- and that he wouldn't even let his other siblings drive it and why she believed he would not abandon the vehicle in Peru. Also, public records corroborate JL the legal owner -- JD cited for uninsured vehicle.

Last edited:
Personally I'd rather have my family know I killed myself then to go missing forever and my family never knowing, but judging by what I know from his family and the comments his mother has made about suicide being a sin in their religion, perhaps he DID think that simply going missing would cause his family less grief and perhaps less shame directed towards him.
^^rs&bbm

Wanting your family to know you killed yourself is evidence of your rational thought process. IMO, this is the most difficult burden of every family of suicide -- trying to apply a rational thought process to the victim of suicide. IMO, it's a nasty, devastating, but very common, trap of most survivors.

I found the following an excellent read.

Why mental health advocates use the words 'died by suicide'

It’s a common question in the aftermath of a suicide that, though typically innocent in nature, is loaded with crucial misunderstandings about suicide and, in some cases, mental illness.

What exactly is the problem? Partly it’s in the language. Asking “how someone could do this” puts responsibility on the victim, just as the phrase “committed suicide” suggests an almost criminal intent. Depression and other mental illnesses are leading risk factors for suicide. This is why mental health advocates usually employ the term “died by suicide,” as it removes culpability from the person who has lost their life and allows a discussion about the disease or disorder from which they were suffering.

“In interviewing people who have [survived] suicide, what becomes apparent is that suicide in the moment that they attempt to enact it seems to them a very logical solution to their problems,” says Dr. Anna Lembke, ..... “Most often their problem is feeling profoundly unworthy, profoundly depressed and profoundly burdensome to others. What seems irrational from the outside in their mind is, in that moment, completely rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1