Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing about this case that bothers me- while I think both foul play and self-harm are possible- is the family's insistence that Jelani could not have been depressed while at the same time saying that his father was going through cancer treatments and that not only was Jelani his match but was one of the primary family members, if not the main one, coming to visit him regularly in the hospital up in Chicago regularly during treatments- and all while working on passing his masters program, and while other aspects of his personal life (friends, any relationships) are being kept very private which is kind of odd for a case if there is foul play. It would be perfectly understandable for any person dealing with these things to be overwhelmed. While foul play is possible (tho less likely to me if law enforcement doesn't suspect it based on the evidence they've collected), the idea that he was dealing with all of these things and family can not accept that he could be struggling mentally, is kind of hard for me to believe.
Correct me if I'm wrong...but take a hypothetical situation where JJ is in a hospital. Even if CB knew which hospital and called, the staff couldn't/wouldn't tell her anything, right? Since she isn't a family member.

(i know things can get complicated/dicey with FERPA; there are some frightening stories about students in crisis; see this 2007 article Crisis on campus)

They would say if he was a patient. And had she followed protocol, his next of kin would have been contacted by the school.

It's definitely a possibility JD completed suicide. It just seems unlikely, based on the evidence, IMO - not necessarily based on his faith or his family's value system.

CB's behavior is either highly suspicious or incredibly Samaritan-like, IMO. I would want foul play ruled completely out before I could accept suicide, and even investigators are suggesting "suspicious or unusual circumstances" surrounding his death.

I don’t find the behavior of CB highly suspicious or incredibly Good Samaritan. With a class this small, I would think the reaction would be the same as if it were a coworker. If the person isn’t showing up, there is a normal reaction of concern. This isn’t like it was a class of 100 random kids.

I agree that CB's actions and concern for the absence of a student were nothing out of the ordinary, it still makes me think of the expression "No good deed goes unpunished". Her name has been all over the internet, with demands calling for her to be investigated, some suggesting a romantic involvement, a conspiracy, etc.
Jelani's family has his phone records, which include locations/pings, probably email, and a laptop. They have access to his apartment and bank records. I think they would have gone through everything with a fine-toothed comb. If they found anything suspicious, any odd contacts with CB, it would have been investigated.
As to CB on Jelani's disappearance timeline, I'm guessing that it hasn't been fully disclosed. For instance, Jelani's mother said that in their phone conversation on August 23rd, he had said "I'm going to class now". There hasn't been anything, that I can find, that says when he last actually attended a class. I've seen other postings also wondering why there is no mention of the last time he was seen in person (by someone he knew). On Facebook, Jelani's brother said they were looking for anyone with contact after 5 PM on the 23rd. It has also been questioned why his first missing reports (Wednesday) said he had missed "several days of class". If he missed class and clinicals on that Monday, it would have been even more concerning that, after agreeing to meet on Tuesday morning, he didn't show up and did not answer CB's text message on Tuesday. After he didn't show up for the afternoon class, CB then told her concerns to the university's own police dept. As Jelani lived in Bloomington, their officer went to Jelani's apartment with one of his brothers, on Wednesday. The mother said she found that a campus Starbucks purchase Tuesday morning was his last bankcard activity. The university then checked the videos and that image of Jelani was used for the first missing poster. I don't see anything suspicious about them immediately checking the video for the police and/or the family. Since cameras are all over schools and the parking lots, I am sure there is plenty of video of Jelani arriving and leaving the campus, on that morning and possibly other days. We are not being told all the details (not that we should be) of exactly what Jelani did that morning, but if someone else did anything suspicious, I think we would have heard about it from the family.

Jelani Day funeral arrangements.
https://thesouthlandjournal.com/rev...-murder-smells-like-another-emmett-till-case/

Rev. Jackson to attend burial of Jelani Day—says his murder “smells like another Emmett Till” case (Chicago, IL) — The Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Sr. is attending the burial of 25-year-old Jelani Day 10 a.m. Tuesday, October 19th, at the Spring Hill Cemetery, 301 E. Voorhees St., Danville, IL.

An 11:30 a.m. press conference will be held at 11:30 a.m. at the Grove Street Church of God in Christ (C.O.G.I.C,), 501 E. Grove St., Champaign, IL.

“Jelani was brutally murdered in Peru, Illinois and found faced down in the Illinois River. We are requesting a thorough investigation because local officials have been very difficult to deal with. They have not been forthcoming,” said Rev. Jackson.

“We are requesting that the FBI and the Department of Justice conduct a thorough investigation because it smells like another Emmett Till case all over again,” Rev. Jackson said referring to the murder of 14-year-old Till who was murdered in Money, Mississippi in 1955.

According to his mother, Carmen Bolden Day, the last time she saw her son was Tuesday, August 24, 2021. His body was found on Saturday, September 4th in Peru, Illinois in the Illinois River with no cause of death.

“He was doing graduate study at Illinois State University in Bloomington, Illinois where he was studying to be a speech pathologist,” his mother said. “My son is outgoing, smart. He loves to have fun. He’s energetic. He is sweet and compassionate. He’s kind and caring. He is one of the best things that ever happen to me. I am angry, and I’m hurt,” she said. “In his absence, I am still present. I’m still protecting him. I will still fight for him. I always have and I always will.”

Rev. Jackson is committed to helping Mrs. Day likening her son’s murder to that of Emmett Till, the 14-year-old Chicago native who was killed in 1955 in Money, Mississippi. His mother, Mamie Till Mobley, held an open casket funeral “so the world could see the horrible face of racism.” Mrs. Day said, “I will fight for justice for Jelani forever.”

My own commentary: How can MSM call this a murder with no COD or manner of death released? Rhetorical question.

https://thesouthlandjournal.com/rev...-murder-smells-like-another-emmett-till-case/

According to his mother, Carmen Bolden Day, the last time she saw her son was Tuesday, August 24, 2021. His body was found on Saturday, September 4th in Peru, Illinois in the Illinois River with no cause of death.

My own commentary: How can MSM call this a murder with no COD or manner of death released? Rhetorical question.

Well, technically MSM didn't call it a murder. They were simply quoting Jesse Jackson.

What stuck out to me is the apparent error that Jelani's mom last saw Jelani on Tues Aug 24. That was the same day he was last seen at the cannabis dispensary! Previously articles stated his mom spoke to Jelani over the phone on Mon Aug 23. So is this meeting with his mom on the same day he went missing a revelation or just an error?

Well, technically MSM didn't call it a murder. They were simply quoting Jesse Jackson.

What stuck out to me is the apparent error that Jelani's mom last saw Jelani on Tues Aug 24. That was the same day he was last seen at the cannabis dispensary! Previously articles stated his mom spoke to Jelani over the phone on Mon Aug 23. So is this meeting with his mom on the same day he went missing a revelation or just an error?
It’s probably an error. And thanks for the correction re: MSM reporting.

"Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., (Howard) and NIMHD have launched Brother, You’re on My Mind: Changing the National Dialogue Regarding Mental Health Among African American Men, an initiative to help start conversations about mental health."

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with Jelani. His fraternity chapter at the University of Alabama has been supporting the family's position that Jelani's death was not suicide, and that foul play was involved. Jelani graduated in 2018. It's a coincidence that this initiative has been
launched at this time. And ironic.
Yes, I see that now. Thank you for the correction.

I still put this young man's death as a suicide, though. Too many factors lead me to believe this. Either way, it is a tragedy of immense proportions.

I agree. I don’t think I’ve ever followed a case where there was such inaccurate reporting.

I'm not sure that inaccurate reporting has been that widespread so much as in the instances where it's happened, it has been incendiary and has probably derailed potential for the public to be helpful.

I really can't fault the family for frustration and upset (at their loss, the investigation, anything) but I can fault certain media for running with the family statements of KNOWING he was murdered as fact and proof of coverup, collusion, etc. The investigation is not even closed, and I really don't think investigators KNOW what happened for certain. It seems that law enforcement's not knowing yet has morphed into proof of an active cover-up.

I'm not sure that inaccurate reporting has been that widespread so much as in the instances where it's happened, it has been incendiary and has probably derailed potential for the public to be helpful.

I really can't fault the family for frustration and upset (at their loss, the investigation, anything) but I can fault certain media for running with the family statements of KNOWING he was murdered as fact and proof of coverup, collusion, etc. The investigation is not even closed, and I really don't think investigators KNOW what happened for certain. It seems that law enforcement's not knowing yet has morphed into proof of an active cover-up.
Yes I agree. I’m sad that it has come to this, (media fanning the flames, so to speak). At times they do more harm than good.

Jelani Day funeral arrangements.

“Jelani was brutally murdered in Peru, Illinois and found faced down in the Illinois River. We are requesting a thorough investigation because local officials have been very difficult to deal with. They have not been forthcoming,” said Rev. Jackson.

SBM

Ohhh boy.

I have lost friends to suicide, and to overdoses that we still aren’t sure if they were intentional or not. Coping with that is difficult; I can only imagine it is even more so with your own child. (not implying he overdosed - we know he didn’t based on toxicology - just saying it’s difficult to not know if someone’s death was intentional or not)

…but I think this is making things much worse and more painful for them. Reverend Jackson is intentionally using words that will stir people up, like “brutally murdered” when we have no idea what actually happened, and adding race into it which is a hot topic and sure to draw attention and opinions, when we also have no idea if race played a factor in this at all.

If his death is investigated again/more thoroughly and they find it to be foul play, then I will be glad that they went this route. But if it is determined to be a suicide, I just don’t think that they will ever accept that, no matter what the evidence shows.

Very sad for them either way.

SBM

Ohhh boy.

I have lost friends to suicide, and to overdoses that we still aren’t sure if they were intentional or not. Coping with that is difficult; I can only imagine it is even more so with your own child. (not implying he overdosed - we know he didn’t based on toxicology - just saying it’s difficult to not know if someone’s death was intentional or not)

…but I think this is making things much worse and more painful for them. Reverend Jackson is intentionally using words that will stir people up, like “brutally murdered” when we have no idea what actually happened, and adding race into it which is a hot topic and sure to draw attention and opinions, when we also have no idea if race played a factor in this at all.

If his death is investigated again/more thoroughly and they find it to be foul play, then I will be glad that they went this route. But if it is determined to be a suicide, I just don’t think that they will ever accept that, no matter what the evidence shows.
Aaa
Very sad for them either way.

BBM AFAIK toxicology results have not been released yet. But I agree with everything else you’ve said. This approach by activists could have a negative outcome.

BBM AFAIK toxicology results have not been released yet. But I agree with everything else you’ve said. This approach by activists could have a negative outcome.

The toxicology results were actually released 5 days ago. It was discussed a bit here in this thread. Non-toxic levels of cannabis, nicotine, and caffeine found. No mention on any medications or illicit drugs.

Jelani's disappearance and death are being investigated by LE as suspicious:

To my knowledge, it's uncontested that on 8/24/21, Jelani arrived on campus early morning in his professional dress where he had a pre-scheduled morning appointment with his advisor, an afternoon class, followed by a clinic with a patient.

For reasons still not explained, it appears that not long after he arrived on campus, Jelani impulsively and/or abruptly abandoned his scheduled plans at school and instead traveled to a legal, retail dispensary where he purchased marijuana sometime around 9:30 AM and was never seen again alive. His phone was also turned off or stopped tracking about this time.

By all accounts - Jelani never canceled his appointments or let anybody know he would not be attending classes, and it remains a mystery how his car came to be driven to Peru, IL, abandoned near the YMCA, and his body in the Illinois River.

It would be most unforgiving if investigators did not first question why Jelani abandoned his schedule on 8/24 without explanation. Although it's not illegal for an adult to voluntarily disappear, IMO, from both the trained and untrained perspective, Jelani's personal actions to leave campus that morning appear impulsive or reactionary, and not the result of a criminal act.

This is not to say that Jelani ending up in the Illinois River was not a homicidal act but before one can get anywhere near that conclusion, it follows that the first order is to understand what Jelani's mindset was on 8/24 when he went from a typical morning of arriving at campus, buying a coffee, to changing out of his professional attire to shorts, t-shirt, trainers, and driving to the weed store! Seriously, this is investigative missing persons 101 practice.

What did Jelani learn that morning that caused him to change his mind and his behavior?

Under the circumstances, as reported, it also follows that local investigators have called on the FBI Behavioral Unit to assist in developing a profile for Jelani to answer these very important questions.

Given that the family requested the FBI's involvement, I'm trying to understand why the family appears to NOT want these questions asked.

And I'm also trying to understand why nobody will answer the profiling questions as to what Jelani was doing for the last three years since graduating AAMU (2018) until he entered his Master's program at ISU (2021).

Did he join the military after graduating AAMU?
Was he working in a clinic?
Recovering from an illness, volunteering, traveling?

Most recently, JD's mom told Chicago Public Radio (CPR) host that Jelani was persistent at asking for and receiving money from both his mom and siblings -- especially when he wanted to travel but we also know one of his last messages to his mother was allegedly about confirming repayment arrangements for his Aunt.

By all accounts, JD was an unemployed, full-time grad student when he disappeared which even if his tuition was being covered by other means, leaves the question of how he was paying his rent, food, auto insurance, fuel, etc.

Was his mother supporting him? Did JD borrow money from a source known to retaliate in homicidal violence?

ISU confirms JD was a first-year grad student in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders program but I'd also like confirmation of when Jelani actually enrolled at ISU. While some reports state he'd just entered the program, we know from his mother that she had been requesting copies of his grades from the last semester which she said he finally texted to her not long before he disappeared.

I think these are all reasonable questions of any missing person turned suspicious death. How can there be any developments in this case without such basic information? How can this investigation move forward with justice for Jelani and his loved ones until the elephant is cleared out of the room?

And yes, by all means, LE must be held accountable for any specific violations but until there are facts to support allegations of police involvement and a cover-up, it needs to stop. It's such a disservice to investigators and the medical examiner/coroner to only read how they failed Jelani and his family because one doesn't like the professional finding or results from a thorough investigation.

And I truly hope that Jelani's ISU program advisor that set off the alarm with campus security by requesting a welfare check on Jelani is receiving support. Awful allegations about her on various platforms for exercising her experience and training, under the circumstances. She must fear for her own safety.

MOO

ISU community comes together to remember Jelani Day

The toxicology results were actually released 5 days ago. It was discussed a bit here in this thread. Non-toxic levels of cannabis, nicotine, and caffeine found. No mention on any medications or illicit drugs.
I believe these were preliminary findings. I recall there are tissue samples still outstanding as it's only been 6 weeks since Jelani's body recovered.

To my knowledge, it's uncontested that on 8/24/21, Jelani arrived on campus early morning in his professional dress where he had a pre-scheduled morning appointment with his advisor, an afternoon class, followed by a clinic with a patient.

For reasons still not explained, it appears that not long after he arrived on campus, Jelani impulsively and/or abruptly abandoned his scheduled plans at school and instead traveled to a legal, retail dispensary where he purchased marijuana sometime around 9:30 AM and was never seen again alive. His phone was also turned off or stopped tracking about this time.

By all accounts - Jelani never canceled his appointments or let anybody know he would not be attending classes, and it remains a mystery how his car came to be driven to Peru, IL, abandoned near the YMCA, and his body in the Illinois River.

It would be most unforgiving if investigators did not first question why Jelani abandoned his schedule on 8/24 without explanation. Although it's not illegal for an adult to voluntarily disappear, IMO, from both the trained and untrained perspective, Jelani's personal actions to leave campus that morning appear impulsive or reactionary, and not the result of a criminal act.

This is not to say that Jelani ending up in the Illinois River was not a homicidal act but before one can get anywhere near that conclusion, it follows that the first order is to understand what Jelani's mindset was on 8/24 when he went from a typical morning of arriving at campus, buying a coffee, to changing out of his professional attire to shorts, t-shirt, trainers, and driving to the weed store! Seriously, this is investigative missing persons 101 practice.

What did Jelani learn that morning that caused him to change his mind and his behavior?

Under the circumstances, as reported, it also follows that local investigators have called on the FBI Behavioral Unit to assist in developing a profile for Jelani to answer these very important questions.

Given that the family requested the FBI's involvement, I'm trying to understand why the family appears to NOT want these questions asked.

And I'm also trying to understand why nobody will answer the profiling questions as to what Jelani was doing for the last three years since graduating AAMU (2018) until he entered his Master's program at ISU (2021).

Most recently, JD's mom told Chicago Public Radio (CPR) host that Jelani was persistent at asking for and receiving money from both his mom and siblings -- especially when he wanted to travel but we also know one of his last messages to his mother was allegedly about confirming repayment arrangements for his Aunt.

By all accounts, JD was an unemployed, full-time grad student when he disappeared which even if his tuition was being covered by other means, leaves the question of how he was paying his rent, food, auto insurance, fuel, etc.

Was his mother supporting him? Did JD borrow money from a source known to retaliate in homicidal violence?

ISU confirms JD was a first-year grad student in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders program but I'd also like confirmation of when Jelani actually enrolled at ISU. While some reports state he'd just entered the program, we know from his mother that she had been requesting copies of his grades from the last semester which she said he finally texted to her not long before he disappeared.

I think these are all reasonable questions of any missing person turned suspicious death. How can there be any developments in this case without such basic information? How can this investigation move forward with justice for Jelani and his loved ones until the elephant is cleared out of the room?

And yes, by all means, LE must be held accountable for any specific violations but until there are facts to support allegations of police involvement and a cover-up, it needs to stop. It's such a disservice to investigators and the medical examiner/coroner to only read how they failed Jelani and his family because one doesn't like the professional finding or results from a thorough investigation.

And I truly hope that Jelani's ISU program advisor that set off the alarm with campus security by requesting a welfare check on Jelani is receiving support. Awful allegations about her on various platforms for exercising her experience and training, under the circumstances. She must fear for her own safety.

MOO

MOO

This summarizes everything I have been thinking. What has he been up to for the past three years?

This summarizes everything I have been thinking. What has he been up to for the past three years?
IMO, it's very relevant and deserves an honest response. It could explain why Jelani may have been the target of foul play and who might be responsible. Or it may help the family understand how Jelani was a master at hiding his struggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enthusiastic