Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have evidence the FBI is involved? Everything I'm seeing is showing the family and his fraternity are still seeking FBI involvement.

I've found only an FBI Behavioral Analyst has been assigned to study Jelani's behavior before his death. Any other agents you're aware of?

I don't know specifics as MSM has been pretty vague/general about what precisely the FBI is assisting with.

But i see what you're getting at/inquiring, as an official post on the Justice for Jelani FB page (dated 10/12/21) talks about how JJ's siblings are seeking FBI involvement.

According to an Oct 15 post on Justice for Jelani official FB page, the FBI is not involved. Weird. They also say the FBI is no longer allowing Justice for Jelani's page to tag them...? How is that possible? FBI blocked their FB page or something? This is all so strange.

"Despite the rumors the FBI is still not involved and we need them NOW!! Too much time has passed and we need answers. fbi no longer allows me to tag them but this is why we need help! We won’t let them ignore us. We won’t let them ignore Jelani Day."

According to an Oct 15 post on Justice for Jelani official FB page, the FBI is not involved. Weird. They also say the FBI is no longer allowing Justice for Jelani's page to tag them...? How is that possible? FBI blocked their FB page or something? This is all so strange.

"Despite the rumors the FBI is still not involved and we need them NOW!! Too much time has passed and we need answers. fbi no longer allows me to tag them but this is why we need help! We won’t let them ignore us. We won’t let them ignore Jelani Day."

"Multiple agencies are assisting Bloomington police including the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit, the Peru Police Department, the LaSalle County Sheriff's Office, the LaSalle Police Department, and Illinois State Police."
Jelani Day's fraternity, mother call on federal authorities to take over case (October 16)

THEIR own attorney stated FBI/BAU involvement so I don't know why they are saying 'rumors'.

THEIR own attorney stated FBI/BAU involvement so I don't know why they are saying 'rumors'.

JMO.
The family Facebook page (Justice for Jelani) apparently wants the FBI to take over the case as they believe the Bloomington PD, Peru PD, LaSalle County Sheriff's Dept. and IL State Police have not done an adequate job.
Jelani's family appears to believe the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit is only working on analyzing Jelani's behavior before his death because they think Jelani committed suicide. The family is absolutely certain that Jelani would never commit suicide, for several reasons.
My Opinion Only.

JMO.
The family Facebook page (Justice for Jelani) apparently wants the FBI to take over the case as they believe the Bloomington PD, Peru PD, LaSalle County Sheriff's Dept. and IL State Police have not done an adequate job.
Jelani's family appears to believe the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit is only working on analyzing Jelani's behavior before his death because they think Jelani committed suicide. The family is absolutely certain that Jelani would never commit suicide, for several reasons.
My Opinion Only.

I agree with your assessment.

The family saying rumors of FBI not being involved is just not accurate. They ARE involved, just not how the family wants. The FBI explained why and when they get involved and apparently this doesn't meet the criteria.

Allegations from link above: the first coroner 1) was unprofessional when speaking with Jelani's mother over the phone
2) "didn't follow standard protocol."

1) Can they file a formal complaint?
2) Specifically how? This allegation needs support.

I really feel for this family, because this isn't a clear-cut case, and they have uncertainties about the autopsy.

I do think if they get behavioral analysis results by the FBI that is an uncommon gift in this kind of case, and it's something to take into serious account.

But it's just really crummy that they don't trust the investigative side of the case, because families need to be able to trust that.

Jelani's mother stated in an interview that she was positive her son would never harm himself because their religion taught if a person committed suicide, they went to hell.

The family is convinced that Jelani was murdered.

One of my closest friends grew up with this same belief…and believed it herself. She hung herself last year.

I'm not saying she suspected "criminal endangerment," she probably was worried that he was in a car accident and was in the hospital...or something along those lines.

I might have called hospitals if I suspected a car accident, not a detective, who ultimately pulled video from campus of Jelani and started investigating his disappearance. IMO

One thing about this case that bothers me- while I think both foul play and self-harm are possible- is the family's insistence that Jelani could not have been depressed while at the same time saying that his father was going through cancer treatments and that not only was Jelani his match but was one of the primary family members, if not the main one, coming to visit him regularly in the hospital up in Chicago regularly during treatments- and all while working on passing his masters program, and while other aspects of his personal life (friends, any relationships) are being kept very private which is kind of odd for a case if there is foul play. It would be perfectly understandable for any person dealing with these things to be overwhelmed. While foul play is possible (tho less likely to me if law enforcement doesn't suspect it based on the evidence they've collected), the idea that he was dealing with all of these things and family can not accept that he could be struggling mentally, is kind of hard for me to believe.

I might have called hospitals if I suspected a car accident, not a detective, who ultimately pulled video from campus of Jelani and started investigating his disappearance. IMO

I'm not saying the clinic director suspected a car accident specifically but she knew something was wrong when he didn't show up to see his patient and so she called security/police, which was the right thing to do, IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but take a hypothetical situation where JJ is in a hospital. Even if CB knew which hospital and called, the staff couldn't/wouldn't tell her anything, right? Since she isn't a family member.

(i know things can get complicated/dicey with FERPA; there are some frightening stories about students in crisis; see this 2007 article Crisis on campus)

Jelani's mother stated in an interview that she was positive her son would never harm himself because their religion taught if a person committed suicide, they went to hell.

The family is convinced that Jelani was murdered.

Please see the opposite, Jenlani's mother has just given one of the reasons/motives why Jelani would need to bring confusion/doubt as to the circumstances of his death. The truth here is that he loved his family so much, that he went to great lengths, that may it never been discovered/proved that his death was intentional. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Please see the opposite, Jenlani's mother has just given one of the reasons/motives why Jelani would need to bring confusion/doubt as to the circumstances of his death. The truth here is that he loved his family so much, that he went to great lengths, that may it never been discovered/proved that his death was intentional. <modsnip>
I think your theory may be true.
I don't know what happens after we die but I do know many of us do not practice faith in the way our parents taught.
Adults learn on their own, sometimes parents are not privy to much about their children's adult lives and true beliefs, especially those parents who are rigid and hard set in their own beliefs of right and wrong, heaven and hell.

The Truth about Suicide

Christians often assume that suicide is an unforgivable sin and that those who die by suicide automatically go to hell. That’s a misconception that believes in a transactional view of sin and forgiveness, where if we don’t confess the sin of suicide after it takes place, it can’t be forgiven. But that idea comes more from Augustine and medieval theology than the Bible. Scripture doesn’t actually say that suicide separates us from God for eternity. The unforgivable sin is never equated with suicide in Scripture. Somebody like Samson died at his own hand, but he’s still included in Hebrews 11 among the Hall of the Faithful. And there’s the promise in Romans 8 that “neither life nor death,” not even death by suicide, could “separate us from the love of God in Christ.”

If someone takes his/her own life, they are a victim, whether of depression, anxiety, pain, mental illness, etc., but a victim.

There isn't "sin" involved, and they will go to heaven, become an angel, or just be at peace, whatever you believe.
That's it; there should be no judgment or stigma placed upon it.
It is tragic and very sad but deserving of empathy and compassion in the end.

Watch now: Did DNA backlog affect Jelani Day investigation? {The Pantagraph)

He also said the workload for forensic scientists is pretty high, especially in big jurisdictions. “In the old days, it was only murder, rape and violent crimes they tested DNA,” he said. “Now, it’s everything: it's burglaries, lesser crimes, and all kinds of misdemeanor-type events. "The big thing now is gun crimes.”

Illinois State Police: DNA backlog did not delay identification of Jelani Day's body {The Pantagraph)

ISP Sgt. [JW] said Sept. 30 that cases are prioritized in laboratories by considering whether it's a violent crime or a property crime, if it has an upcoming court date, or whether the requesting agency has asked for rushed processing, in addition to other information provided by police or prosecutors.

I also want to point out that the identification of Gabby Petito took 24 days; LE announced human remains had been found on September 19; it was confirmed on October 12 (CNN source) These things can take quite a while.

Agree, good comment. DNA testing has advanced tremendously, but still has a way to go. In the (probably) near future, these tests will be completed even faster, but that's still a way off. In the meantime, as you note, there's a large backlog of cases. Some states haven't funded this work to the necessary level, so the internal budget battles are probably still ongoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enthusiastic