Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is that Jelani's family felt they were disrespected and treated poorly. I'm sure it made Carmen feel like those involved with the case weren't invested, so it doesn't surprise me that she mistrusts them. I believe Carmen when she said Coroner Ploch snapped at her and was cruel to her over the phone. Her lawyer even corroborated it. It's hard to trust someone's professional opinion when they've been nasty and disrespectful to you. That's why victims should always be treated with the utmost respect and sensitivity, because 1) It's just the kind and compassionate thing to do, and 2) It helps to breed trust between victims and investigative team.
If the coroner was rude to her, of course that is uncalled for. But we are not privy to that conversation. I would rather hear less blaming of officials and more statements from family about what they think led him to miss his appointments that day. Something led him to abandon his plans without notifying anyone.

If the coroner was rude to her, of course that is uncalled for. But we are not privy to that conversation. I would rather hear less blaming of officials and more statements from family about what they think led him to miss his appointments that day. Something led him to abandon his plans without notifying anyone.
Bingo. Uncovering why Jelani abruptly left campus, changed his clothes, and drove to the dispensary-- never looking back, is going to lead to the answers how/why Jelani drowned in the Illinois River. MOO

Two things discussed that I'd like verified:

Did JJ family oppose the release of the screenshots and info about JJ being at Hello/Beyond? That info was released on 8/31; the initial report only showed two family photos and the CCTV grab of him at then student center.

Has the coroner or any LE denied or rejected the family's claim that they were rude or barked, "Do you want us to identify your son or not?" during a phone call?

Bingo. Uncovering why Jelani abruptly left campus, changed his clothes, and drove to the dispensary-- never looking back, is going to lead to the answers how/why Jelani drowned in the Illinois River. MOO
Absolutely! This information is crucial to the investigation. But I have not heard family members speak one word about this, unless I missed it. Family is expecting LE to label this a homicide with no evidence (yet) that it was a homicide. They are angry that the death of another person (Gabby) got lots more media attention. LE investigating the death of Jelani had nothing to do with that. JMO

Jelani's clothing was discovered by the two "bored" college students in an area that some consider a lover's lane, according to his mother. However, Jelani had the privacy of an apartment and would likely not have gone there to make out. But since the area is well-known to others, it might have come to mind as a secluded place to dump a body, IMO.

Also, from what I gather from the coroner's report, the COD was more an exclusive statement, i.e, the body was too severely decomposed to find evidence of bruising, strangulation, etc., so since the body was in water, exclusion theory would find drowning.

I don't think Jelani's remains are going to tell the story. A thorough investigation is needed. The police department didn't start out on strong footing, but I hope someone is able to get to the bottom of what happened to this beautiful soul. And kudos to his mother's strength for seeking justice for her son amidst her grieving.

Two things discussed that I'd like verified:

Did JJ family oppose the release of the screenshots and info about JJ being at Hello/Beyond? That info was released on 8/31; the initial report only showed two family photos and the CCTV grab of him at then student center.

Has the coroner or any LE denied or rejected the family's claim that they were rude or barked, "Do you want us to identify your son or not?" during a phone call?
Yes, you can find info out there where family/friends of the investigators saying the opposite of the ‘rude’ story we are hearing. But since it’s not a ‘news’ source I can’t post it. I do recall reading it earlier this week.

Jelani's clothing was discovered by the two "bored" college students in an area that some consider a lover's lane, according to his mother. However, Jelani had the privacy of an apartment and would likely not have gone there to make out. But since the area is well-known to others, it might have come to mind as a secluded place to dump a body, IMO.

Also, from what I gather from the coroner's report, the COD was more an exclusive statement, i.e, the body was too severely decomposed to find evidence of bruising, strangulation, etc., so since the body was in water, exclusion theory would find drowning.

I don't think Jelani's remains are going to tell the story. A thorough investigation is needed. The police department didn't start out on strong footing, but I hope someone is able to get to the bottom of what happened to this beautiful soul. And kudos to his mother's strength for seeking justice for her son amidst her grieving.
I actually recall reading they were walking along the river when they found the clothes. I will try to find the source.

BBM
A thorough investigation is already being done.
Jelani Day's Cause of Death Released by LaSalle County Coroner

This is regarding the two college students,

"Day said police told her two ISU students who went looking for her son found his clothing near the Illinois River, approximately one mile from where his body was found.

Jonathan Jackson with Rainbow PUSH said Bolden Day wanted to thank them for their help and seek answers but was told she could not speak with the ISU students because they have since hired attorneys."

After march in Peru, congressman calls for federal investigation into Jelani Day's death

Exactly.
As nothing has been obvious in this case, every bit of information helps. Family, loved ones, those who knew him well could offer insight that can't be found on electronics, traced by paper trail, or seen on surveillance that day.
I see the presence of ANY member of the FBI as a positive and imo it is a tool to advance understanding and therefore the investigation.

He DID leave campus under his own volition and go to the dispensary. Highly likely he turned his phone off himself too. Their thoughts would be helpful.

Jelani Day autopsy report found 'no evidence' of assault on 'severely decomposed' body
An autopsy report of Jelani Day released Wednesday says there was “no evidence” of assault or altercation on the body and further demystifies several longstanding rumors in the case.

The report was drafted by forensic pathology Scott Denton based on an autopsy that happened Sept. 5, the day after the body was found in the Illinois River in Peru. The report was submitted to the LaSalle County coroner on Oct. 23 and released to WGLT on Wednesday through the Freedom of the Information Act.
Jelani Day autopsy report found 'no evidence' of assault on 'severely decomposed' body

Jelani Day's mother wants the answers she believes national attention got for the Petito family

Two days later, his car was found about an hour's drive north in Peru, dumped in the woods behind a YMCA and in the middle of a residential community.

Where the car entered, according to the former family attorney, looks like a dead end from the paved road.

The license plate had been removed. The clothes Day was seen wearing on a surveillance camera on August 24 were in the car.

His wallet was found "somewhat in the bushes" about a half mile away, according to investigators. Neither the car nor wallet was found near the water, yet Day's body was recovered more than a week later over a mile away off the bank of the Illinois River.

According to investigators, an ID lanyard was found just across the river from the body. Clothing was also found farther east along the river, next to the Illinois Route 251 Bridge.

Jelani Day's mother wants the answers she believes national attention got for the Petito family

Two days later, his car was found about an hour's drive north in Peru, dumped in the woods behind a YMCA and in the middle of a residential community.

Where the car entered, according to the former family attorney, looks like a dead end from the paved road.

The license plate had been removed. The clothes Day was seen wearing on a surveillance camera on August 24 were in the car.

His wallet was found "somewhat in the bushes" about a half mile away, according to investigators. Neither the car nor wallet was found near the water, yet Day's body was recovered more than a week later over a mile away off the bank of the Illinois River.

According to investigators, an ID lanyard was found just across the river from the body. Clothing was also found farther east along the river, next to the Illinois Route 251 Bridge.

there was criticism that police didn’t find the clothes right away, but if u live along the river u would realize that things wash up in their own time and in their own place.

"Day said police told her two ISU students who went looking for her son found his clothing near the Illinois River, approximately one mile from where his body was found.

Jonathan Jackson with Rainbow PUSH said Bolden Day wanted to thank them for their help and seek answers but was told she could not speak with the ISU students because they have since hired attorneys."

After march in Peru, congressman calls for a federal investigation into Jelani Day's death
^^bbm

It seems to me that the former attorney for the family and J Jackson both failed to tell CBD that witnesses cooperating with authorities in this investigation are finding themselves victims of internet bullying, intimidation, and are being left fearful for their personal safety and have no choice but to hire representation.

The Bloomington PD was first to announce that Jelani's clothes [dress attire seen in the student union surveillance] were found inside his car on Aug 26.

Since the witnesses located clothes that Jelani was seen wearing in the Dispensary surveillance video -- which directly contradicts the family's earlier statement that these clothes were inside his vehicle, I agree they have reason to fear for their personal safety and also hire representation.

CBD finally acknowledged she was sent photos of the clothes located on the bank of the river near the location Jelani was recovered and, confirmed the shirt appeared to be Jenlani's Hendrix t-shirt.

MOO

ETA: link
Found Deceased - IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Last edited:

After march in Peru, congressman calls for federal investigation into Jelani Day's death

I'm not sure why Jonathan Jackson of Rainbow PUSH chose to bring up the fact that the two college students who found some of Jelani's belongings chose to protect themselves by hiring attorneys.

Everyone on campus knows what happened to the Clinical Director of the ISU Speech Pathology Clinic after she notified law enforcement about her concerns RE: Jelani being out of contact and missing appointments/classes. She and her family have been relentlessly hounded by the Social Media mob. It's scary, possibly dangerous and impacts your life in a very negative way.

Unfortunately, because of the threat of SM harassment, many are unwilling to speak up. I really don't blame them.

Just My Opinion Only.

Considering what and how much LE has said (very little, basic) vs what and how much we've heard from the family, their lawyer (frm), advocates, and reporters who have spoken on behalf of the family, I'm thinking if by someone IS charged in relation to his death at any point, that person's lawyers are going to have an absolute field day.

Granted, only one of the groups is actually conducting the investigation but the damage they could be doing damage to any future case. Imagine a suspect's lawyer questioning his mom on the stand about 'inconsistent autopsies' and 'how investigators failed' and her belief that there wasn't enough for the coroner to properly conclude cause of death.

If LE has any thought foul play is involved, this must be driving them nuts.

Considering what and how much LE has said (very little, basic) vs what and how much we've heard from the family, their lawyer (frm), advocates, and reporters who have spoken on behalf of the family, I'm thinking if by someone IS charged in relation to his death at any point, that person's lawyers are going to have an absolute field day.

Granted, only one of the groups is actually conducting the investigation but the damage they could be doing damage to any future case. Imagine a suspect's lawyer questioning his mom on the stand about 'inconsistent autopsies' and 'how investigators failed' and her belief that there wasn't enough for the coroner to properly conclude cause of death.

If LE has any thought foul play is involved, this must be driving them nuts.
Very good point.

The family is relying on LE to perform an investigation and answer those questions. I'm sure they are completely befuddled and shocked, and that's why they believe foul play is involved. If they have a specific theory about what happened beyond "he was murdered because he was on the swim team and couldn't drown," I do wish they would share what they can without compromising the investigation.

It's really weird no one has specified when his missed school meeting was. Makes me think the meeting must have been scheduled early morning before Jelani's dispensary trip, and the family doesn't want that information revealed because they worry it will make it look like Jelani left voluntarily.

I get the impression that some crucial info is being held back from the public because the info points more toward self-harm than murder. I'm also wondering if Jelani was hiding aspects of his life from his family. Did he tell anyone about that speeding ticket he got Aug 21? Did his mom even know about his history of speeding and they suspended license or did he manage to keep that hidden from family? Did his family know he used cannabis? Or was this a new thing for Jelani? All questions I wish the family would address, but all topics from which they have steered clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1