Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So disturbing that his jaw, upper and lower front teeth were sawed out, according to the autopsy. Clearly it was foul play. He had gone out to a job site, was in a remote area. I noticed on Google maps that there are homes scattered, miles apart. Could this have been a planned attack, someone who knew where he was, a random attack, a hate crime?
Questions surrounding the death of Jelani Day continue
This is the first I’ve heard that he was going to a job site. Do you have a link for this info? Has the coroner or medical examiner confirmed that his jaw and upper and lower teeth were sawed out? The article in your link states that the journalist from Chicago Sun Times is writing personal narrative essays.

Thank You

Oh my, maybe I am getting this case confused with another? I thought he was in a remote area checking on something for work? So, let me get this straight, he was seen on campus in the morning, then at the dispensary later. The dispensary is the last known place he was seen?

This is the first I’ve heard that he was going to a job site. Do you have a link for this info? Has the coroner or medical examiner confirmed that his jaw and upper and lower teeth were sawed out? The article in your link states that the journalist from Chicago Sun Times is writing personal narrative essays.

Thank You
My bad, I must be confused with another case. I have had a weekend full of sleuthing, can't keep my facts straight. Jelani was up on campus. Then he was seen at the dispensary. we don't know what happened after that?

My bad, I must be confused with another case. I have had a weekend full of sleuthing, can't keep my facts straight. Jelani was up on campus. Then he was seen at the dispensary. we don't know what happened after that?
Sounds like perhaps you were mixed up with the Daniel Robinson case :) Unrelated, but well worth checking out for anyone unfamiliar. Family unhappy with LE handling of their son’s case as well.
AZ - AZ - Daniel Robinson, 24, remote job site, Buckeye, 23 Jun 2021

In this interview with the family attorney, the attorney states that Jelani was on the swim team in high school. So I doubt he would jump in the river from that bridge. I can't remember the exact height of the bridge anymore but I think someone had the bridge height upthread? If it were suicide, I would think of two possible scenarios:
1) he would've ingested something to put himself to sleep and then waited in the water, OR
2) he shot himself in the water.
In case #1 hopefully the tox report would find something to support that hypothesis, but I'm doubtful they'll be able to find much considering the decomposed state of his body.
In case #2 they'd presumably find a bullet hole and also perhaps record of a gun purchase. I think that would be easy to rule out.
I just can't imagine Jelani choosing to drown himself as a method of suicide when he was such a skilled swimmer and the bridge (I think?) wasn't even high enough for a surefire death.

I am also conflicted on whether this is suicide or foul play, until more details are known…

I will say - I know he seems “unlikely” to commit suicide, but from my own personal experience, it can certainly happen.

I am a bubbly, happy, social person who had just bought a house and absolutely loved my new job. Yet I silently struggled with depression and substance abuse - not one person in my family/friends knew. One day I showed up to work, ready for the day (as Jelani was dressed and seemingly ready for his), when something just snapped. I just couldn’t do it anymore. I ditched my car in an area I’ve never been (I don’t know why - no reason), and caught an Uber home. I didn’t alert anyone. I likely would’ve died at home had the police not gotten involved, and people would have been very confused - I was happy, showed up at work that morning….then disappeared, car gone.

I only share this story to reinforce that sometimes things just don’t make sense. If he was hiding depression, perhaps he went to class ready for the day and, like me, just suddenly….couldn’t.

If it was suicide, I wish he could’ve gotten help, like I did. I’m so saddened that this was his outcome.
Thank you so much for sharing your story! I know it makes me feel less alone; I'm very happy that you were found in time and got the help you needed. You are brave and kind to share...

I don't know if JJ self-harmed or not, but two helpful numbers to have on hand:
US:
Home 1-800-273-8255
UK:
Contact a Samaritan
Ring 116 123

Side note: I live across the road from a Samaritans for our area. I like to bake and I sometimes take them goodies. There are angels among us.
Thanks for posting these numbers- very thoughtful!

Jelani Day Case: Coroner Responds to Recent Reports With Key Questions Still Unanswered

Updated 4 hours ago

LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch told NBC 5 in a statement Tuesday that Day's cause and manner of death are still not known, more than a month after his body was discovered in the Illinois River following what police said were "suspicious" and "unusual" circumstances.

The coroner reported Day's body was discovered on Sept. 4 "floating near the south bank of the Illinois River approximately ¼ mile east of the Illinois Rt. 251 Bridge."

The cause and manner of death are still awaiting toxicology and histology reports, Ploch said.

Even after that, however, Ploch said he still needs "the police agencies to help with the big piece on how he came to be in the water."

Ploch also clarified recent reports that organs were missing during an independent autopsy ordered by Day's family.

Ploch told NBC 5 "some [organs] were severely decomposed due to the body being in the water," but none were missing.

Day's mother echoed that fact this week, saying that while the search for answers continues following the suspicious death of her son, there are some recent reports she felt needed clarifying.

"Family, We need to hit pause for a moment," a post on a Facebook page seeking justice for Day read Monday. "As outraged and upset as we are, we must stay the course, and stick to the facts in our search for answers."

Jelani Day update: Mother of ISU student pulled from river clarifies autopsy 'contradictions'

10/12/21

OTTAWA, Ill. (WLS) -- The family of an Illinois State University graduate student whose body was pulled from the Illinois River last month is responding to what it calls "contradictions" between two autopsies.

Jelani Day was last seen Aug. 24. His body was found more than a week later in the Illinois River in LaSalle County.

RELATED: Jelani Day funeral: Memorial service held for ISU graduate student found dead in Illinois river

Online reports claim some of Day's organs were missing during a second independent autopsy.

But Day's mother said Monday that's not true. She disputes speculation that her son's organs might have been harvested.

IMO, I do not believe it appropriate to include commentary by John Fountain since it's clear his commentary is not fact-checked reporting.

To be clear, the previously linked Chicago SunTimes commentary by John W. Fountain dated 10/8/21 citing Carmen Day and her Attorney Bezner has been recharacterized to MSM by Mom and Bezner as requiring clarifications over contradictions between La Salle County Coroner Richard Ploch's preliminary autopsy report and the second, independent autopsy by Day/Bezner.

Personally, I believe the clarified information should be labeled a retraction and/or correction.

Some things no mother should have to endure 10/8/21

*another graphic trigger warning*
This leads me to a couple of questions. How long was he “floating” to become infested with maggots? Maggot activity usually begins in 24-72 hours with post-mortem access, but it seems like they’d been there quite a while to absolutely “infest” the body and not be in beginning stages. Flies can’t lay their larvae underwater as far as I know... If they’d been active for multiple days then that leads me to question how his body decomp was so water logged and liquified from being in the river if it was actually just on the surface most of the time. Trying to make these two scenarios match in my mind and hoping you can help. It’s awesome that you’re training to do autopsies! I admire that. I’m graduating in 2 months for forensic toxicology but we had to have some general classes (including info on decomp and entomology) before getting into our specialty. Additionally, I just met with a board certified forensic entomologist last week and hearing her talk about experiences (completely unrelated to this case!) it just seems odd to me. I can make one of those fit with zero problem. But both together?
Maybe he got stuck in some branches or debris and was above water long enough for the infestation to occur.

I have not seen anyone speaking about him in msm from his social group plus he’s not visible on social media like TikTok or other sites. There’s just nothing. No former employer or fellow coworkers being interviewed. Nothing even from his neighbors or others in the apartment complex. Not even the property manager. We know very little about him.
:(
I’ve noticed men don’t get much coverage & it’s seemingly rare for anyone to speak up on their behalf outside of their family.

Oh my, maybe I am getting this case confused with another? I thought he was in a remote area checking on something for work? So, let me get this straight, he was seen on campus in the morning, then at the dispensary later. The dispensary is the last known place he was seen?

There's another case of a man from IL going to a jobsite and was later found deceased at the site, but it's not Jelani, maybe you are thinking of that one? I don't think they've prosecuted anyone for that yet. :(

There's another case of a man from IL going to a jobsite and was later found deceased at the site, but it's not Jelani, maybe you are thinking of that one? I don't think they've prosecuted anyone for that yet. :(
Yes, who was this? I definitely remember looking at a case where the person was last seen at a remote job site. I do have the cases mixed up. I realize now that Jelani was seen on campus where he had a meeting scheduled with a professor. When he didn't show for the meeting, the professor went to his 1 o'clock class, and he wasn't there either, so she got concerned and called his parents, or reported him missing? Then we have the dispensary video where he was last seen. Do I have that about right?

Yes, who was this? I definitely remember looking at a case where the person was last seen at a remote job site. I do have the cases mixed up. I realize now that Jelani was seen on campus where he had a meeting scheduled with a professor. When he didn't show for the meeting, the professor went to his 1 o'clock class, and he wasn't there either, so she got concerned and called his parents, or reported him missing? Then we have the dispensary video where he was last seen. Do I have that about right?

The case of someone going missing after reporting to a remote job site was Daniel Robinson and he is still missing. AZ - AZ - Daniel Robinson, 24, remote job site, Buckeye, 23 Jun 2021

You might have recalled his name since it was mentioned alongside JJ's case as one needing more media coverage/attention in light of the major media focus on Gabby Petitio.

The case of someone going missing after reporting to a remote job site was Daniel Robinson and he is still missing. AZ - AZ - Daniel Robinson, 24, remote job site, Buckeye, 23 Jun 2021

You might have recalled his name since it was mentioned alongside JJ's case as one needing more media coverage/attention in light of the major media focus on Gabby Petitio.

Yes! I actually looked into his case because I saw it mentioned when reading about/ watching a video on JJ's case. Thank you! There is a large remote area near where Jelani's body was found. Did he go to that area to enjoy himself, and ran into trouble, or did someone take him there?

Was reading an article from Rolling Stone about Lauren Cho when Jelani came up.

Why It Could Take 'Several Weeks' to Identify Remains Found in Search for Lauren Cho

While several people on social media have questioned why it took so long, Hallie Bezner, a lawyer for Day’s mother, says it was mainly because the body was so badly decomposed. At first, they tried to match the remains to Day’s dental records, but the records they had were too outdated.

“They were not able to make the match, so they had to do DNA testing, and that alway takes a long time,” Bezner says.

“My understanding is they needed to send a bone out to the lab and they had to dry out the bone and extract DNA from the marrow.” At the same time, Bezner thinks police should have acted more quickly after Day’s car was found abandoned on August 26th, two days after his mother reported him missing. “Why did it take 11 days to go search the river?” Bezner asks.

“What state might the body have been in if we’d found him eight days prior? Could we have found out what had happened, and not put the family through weeks of not knowing?”

No cause of death has been released. Authorities are continuing to investigate.

Forgive my ignorance if this is far fetched. I know Jelani was in a masters program. He wasn’t a freshman but…he was new to the campus. He was part of a fraternity. Is hazing gone wrong a possibility? Frat brothers panicked due to an accident?

Forgive my ignorance if this is far fetched. I know Jelani was in a masters program. He wasn’t a freshman but…he was new to the campus. He was part of a fraternity. Is hazing gone wrong a possibility? Frat brothers panicked due to an accident?
This isn't possible due to the timeline, time of day, and the CCTV imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member