GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking about that bloody paper towel. It doesn't seem like someone would leave behind a piece of evidence like that. I wonder if it is unrelated or if it fell out of her purse or something like that.

I believe it's unrelated. I'd like to see the van she was in and how the inside is. Any sign of foul play?

750-- Has there been a search then of the park a few blocks away from Hilander? I know the condos your talking about & agree someone would have heard something! Last time I was back there construction was booming, isn't there lots more businesses built by the condos now? But, that is a very large, dark, wooded park & not if you're trying to lead LE away with a stag....

This is my first post... As I have lurked since sweet Caylee
I have known this family since before the house fire, although i had never met todd. I no longer have a close relationship with any of them as most of the family has left the area- as have I.

I agree with most of you that this is not looking good for Todd or Katrina, but I have seen innocent husbands get sent to jail for murders they did not commit (Bradenton fl murder of Sherry Brannon and daughters).

Although, his past looks bad, it does not necessarily mean he murdered his wife. Maybe more likely, but definitely isn't a given. I do not believe you will see Todd's parents support him, as I understand it, they are estranged and live out of state.

As for other scenarios- there are RSO close to where her car was found. We have all seen crazy outcomes this month. I hope for the families sake and Todd's daughters that this turns out to be a stalker or stranger.

This is my first post... As I have lurked since sweet Caylee
I have known this family since before the house fire, although i had never met todd. I no longer have a close relationship with any of them as most of the family has left the area- as have I.

I agree with most of you that this is not looking good for Todd or Katrina, but I have seen innocent husbands get sent to jail for murders they did not commit (Bradenton fl murder of Sherry Brannon and daughters).

Although, his past looks bad, it does not necessarily mean he murdered his wife. Maybe more likely, but definitely isn't a given. I do not believe you will see Todd's parents support him, as I understand it, they are estranged and live out of state.

As for other scenarios- there are RSO close to where her car was found. We have all seen crazy outcomes this month. I hope for the families sake and Todd's daughters that this turns out to be a stalker or stranger.

Thank you for posting, winningx3! So glad you are here with us!
:welcome4:

I believe it's unrelated. I'd like to see the van she was in and how the inside is. Any sign of foul play?

I've been confused over this van thing. MSM stated Katrina was driving a 2012 Chevy Cruze, 4-door. 'Tis a compact car.

Well clearly her sister (or is it a friend who's like her sister?) thinks she's dead:

"Sissy, I love you more than words can describe. You are in my heart now and forever. You are a piece of me that can never be taken away. I miss you terribly and the pain that I feel is unbearable. Just know that I will spend the rest of my life here on earth thinking of you, missing you, and loving you unconditionally."~Miraynda

Legally, the police needed to get permission from the homeowner in order to be able to search the home. if they don't get permission ..they have to keep looking for evidence until they can get a warrant. It’s important to remember that it's not clear that they're even looking at the husband, they might be looking for clues in her belongings.

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/Police-Search-Missing-Womans-Home-176493961.html

What the heck is this supposed to mean? No quotes, so this did not come from LE. Is this the reporter's viewpoint? In almost ALL cases, LE gets a warrant even if they have permission to search. Particularly when a potential suspect is a family member and/or resides in the same home.

Well clearly her sister (or is it a friend who's like her sister?) thinks she's dead:

"Sissy, I love you more than words can describe. You are in my heart now and forever. You are a piece of me that can never be taken away. I miss you terribly and the pain that I feel is unbearable. Just know that I will spend the rest of my life here on earth thinking of you, missing you, and loving you unconditionally."~Miraynda

So sad. Katrina's step brother was on local news tonight saying he stands behind Todd until proven otherwise. I wonder if that's real or keeping your enemies close- sorry I do not have a link.

What the heck is this supposed to mean? No quotes, so this did not come from LE. Is this the reporter's viewpoint? In almost ALL cases, LE gets a warrant even if they have permission to search. Particularly when a potential suspect is a family member and/or resides in the same home.

not good writing...obviously they had enough evidence to get a sw and spend 8+ hours going thru the house with a fine tooth comb...moo

Which leads directly AWAY from the condo she was staying in. South, not north.

what i find interesting is that they appear to be withholding the date of the wallet being found...as well as not giving any comment/confirmation if she was seen at or after 9pm that night...these two pieces i think are important...possibly the wallet was planted way far away in an attempt to lead the search out of the machesney park area??

She was staying in Roscoe in a condo off of Hwy 251 by the Highlander grocery store. It was hardly a "housesitting" situation as described by the husband. The girl that owns the condo(a very good friend of Katrina's) had moved out of state several months ago and had recently allowed Katrina stay there to help her get though the separation. Why he would issue a press release telling everyone that they were happily married and still living together is beyond me. The police are well aware of Katrina's attempt to separate from her husband. I was fortunate enough to meet her several times. She is a little quirky, but very cool, compassionate and beautiful. Judging by the information being released it's becoming more and more clear that this won't end well:(

Welcome 750 :seeya:

Thank you for the info! Scratching my head though. Why would he lie about something that can be disputed by others? Is it possible she was not being completely honest with Todd about her reason for staying at the condo?

Can you provide a source for your statement that LE almost always gets a warrant even if given permission to search? I can't find that anywhere.

what i find interesting is that they appear to be withholding the date of the wallet being found...as well as not giving any comment/confirmation if she was seen at or after 9pm that night...these two pieces i think are important...possibly the wallet was planted way far away in an attempt to lead the search out of the machesney park area??

sorry to quote myself...

the only way i can think of how her things got scattered is if her purse and other found items were left in her car when it was left on the road abandoned and one or more people helped themselves to whatever was in the car...

so far i dont think her keys have been found..or at least i have seen that asked multiple times and answered as no her keys have not been found.

and the only thing le has said about any of her belongings is in regard to her car being abandoned and the statement that "its a brand new car" as if they find it strange that someone would take her purse and leave the car if it was a carjacker...

The wallet was found last Thursday according to this article. This location was far from where her car a cell phone were located.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-rights/illegal-search-and-seizure-faqs.html

im not knox but this has a lot of info...

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-rights/illegal-search-and-seizure-faqs.html

THE EXCLUSIONARY RULE

Courts ordinarily suppress evidence obtained during an unreasonable search or seizure and offered against the accused. See Mapp v. Ohio, 367 U.S. 643 (1961). This rule, known as the exclusionary rule, applies equally to both the investigatory and accusatory stages of a criminal prosecution.

The wallet was found last Thursday according to this article. This location was far from where her car a cell phone were located.

Also location, South Main is very ruff, if one is trying to lead LE to think random.... perfect place to pitch it. West side, auburn/kilburn, would be too close. I'm honestly surprised someone turned it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member