GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First Post: Im confused abt who was putting their boat in the water at 1:30 today to search and where on FB you see this. Also, Ralston is the area of activity, but Bridge is not far away at all. I would think that would be a feasible search location as well, really just a matter of a few minutes away. I would think the car was parked AWAY from any body or evidence, not near it. JMHO

Probably looking near it as it would be difficult to drag a body a long way if the body come straight out of the car. I still think that she was driving a long way. The body was dropped, then the car was driven closer to home and parked at an area to make people think she was in the river and also gave enough time to walk home.

Anna what is your guess how many people are searching every day? I was just reading a little bit on the fb page and it sounds like lots of people come every day, since two weeks, the support is incredible! Plus local businesses put up billboards and signs and donations, people disribute flyers, it's really really large. I'm so impressed and touched. Katrina might not be with them anymore but she has brought them all together. Bitter sweet.

First Post: Im confused abt who was putting their boat in the water at 1:30 today to search and where on FB you see this. Also, Ralston is the area of activity, but Bridge is not far away at all. I would think that would be a feasible search location as well, really just a matter of a few minutes away. I would think the car was parked AWAY from any body or evidence, not near it. JMHO

I would post my friends FB, but not sure it is allowed? I believe it is also on Katrina's page...
Yes, all the areas are feasible.

his post: at 130 i will be putting a boat in the river with sonar to do some searching i will try my best to cover as much of it as i can from ralston rd bridge in machesney park to martin park in loves park. https://www.facebook.com/Findkatrinasmith

Anna what is your guess how many people are searching every day? I was just reading a little bit on the fb page and it sounds like lots of people come every day, since two weeks, the support is incredible! Plus local businesses put up billboards and signs and donations, people disribute flyers, it's really really large. I'm so impressed and touched. Katrina might not be with them anymore but she has brought them all together. Bitter sweet.

I cannot even begin to guess how many. People I know are eager to leave work every day to go help, and put off weekend plans to pitch in....the businesses are so supportive. It is quite incredible.

https://www.facebook.com/Findkatrinasmith

^^^this is where the search info was about the boat w/sonar...

How far would a body float down river in the week and a half she's been gone?

How far would a body float down river in the week and a half she's been gone?

my source says 1 to 3 miles. based on knowing the Rock this area, and his involvement with prior searches.

It seems weird if LE is leaving searching up to the family though. No matter what they believe happened, Katrina needs to be found and evidence needs to be contained when/if she is. I hope LE is involved in the searching.

Trying to catch up... was husbands home searched? Wouldn't his being the last person to see her be cause enough to get a warrant?
Leaving car by river could be a ruse, seems too obvious...
Seems like a classic case of - recent separation, spouse goes back to where husband is and a big fight erupts.
Karen Swift case comes to mind, but she was still living with husband...

Hubby should know where she was going since he said she was running an errand. LE could verify by checking video surveillance, etc...
Doesn't make sense she would set up residence of her own, yet go back at night to home where husband is.
Wonder how dependent husband is on her financially, wonder if life insurance...
Wonder if lie detector test was given..

It's super sad that this seems more of a recovery now .. Honestly, I felt that from day one. I hate to even admit that. I just know that she didn't leave on her own. Someone made this happen.

Why and how are people do evil? What kills me is that a lot of the time it's someone they trusted. It breaks my soul and actually leaves

IMO I think that we all have an idea who harmed her. I don't know why I would rather it be random as that makes me equally as sad but in different way.

Oops. Typo in a few places but on my iPhone. Ugh. Sorry!

It's super sad that this seems more of a recovery now .. Honestly, I felt that from day one. I hate to even admit that. I just know that she didn't leave on her own. Someone made this happen.

Why and how are people do evil? What kills me is that a lot of the time it's someone they trusted. It breaks my soul and actually leaves

IMO I think that we all have an idea who harmed her. I don't know why I would rather it be random as that makes me equally as sad but in different way.

I have to say I agree with you. I just pray she can be found instead of this being one of those weeks-upon-weeks processes that ties up LE....and prolongs the hurt for loved ones.

I swear, is October 2012 "National Weirdos Who Commit Heinous Crimes Month"?? It just seems it's been crawling out of the woodwork like crazy lately :notgood:

I just started ....so am way behind... And I know these are serious cases...

But I had to laugh at the "National Weirdos Who Commit Heinous Crimes Month" of October reference!

:silly:

I think when someone reports a family member missing, the house should be searched at once, even as outdoor searching is taking place as well. Statistics alone should be enough to grant search warrants. JMO

I totally agree with you, Cluciano!

There is so much info to be gained from the home...

and it doesn't have to mean that anyone in the home is implicated!

it is just common sense to me....

JMO

I'm not thinking this has anything to do with it. Just a terrible coincidence. Not sure how the supervisor would have her address? Who's going to do that and make themselve a suspect by posting fliers like that if they were going to hurt her. Seems very diversionary to me.

Just to let anyone know... I found out that addresses, and neighbors's addresses, are free, and readily available, on Free White Pages...

In fact... It can be a useful tool when sleuthing!

:D

Hi!
I've been following this thread for a while but was waiting to be able to officially post :)

I live just around the corner from where Katrina's car was found. They've been searching for her or clues around our neighborhood for over a week now. There were a few things I wanted to clarify regarding the area.

Our neighborhood (including the area where Katrina was shopping) is a nicer area of Rockford. Our neighbors are all retired, we are one of the few that have children. I wouldn't hesitate to go out at 9 p.m. if I had errands to run.

The intersection of Obispo and Ventura is not a busy area. My husband drove by there on his way home on the night Katrina's car was found. He says he's not 100% sure, but he believes the car was on OBISPO on the north side of the road (the side by the woods). Obispo is a very quiet street.

However, depending on where her 2nd errand took her, she could have gone somewhere else besides that shopping area. Once I went for groceries on the far east side of town, and ended up having someone follow me home and around our neighborhood for a while until I drove to the police station (they didn't follow me there!)

As mentioned, the Rock River is very near to the intersection where they found Katrina's car. However, it has houses that run along that whole area, and I can't think of anywhere near where there would be a public dock or boat launch, or even anything open. The nearest public area that I can think of would be at Atwood Park which is northwest on the other side of the river. There's a very secluded park there with open access to the river and woods.

Just some thoughts. I hope they find Katrina soon, as I can't imagine how horrible this must be for the family.

:welcome4:

thank you for this informative post!:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members