GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit bothered by something..a few things actually. But primarily how skinny/scrawny the husband is.

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582303003/Funeral-services-for-Katrina-Smith-this-weekend
The newspaper article states: Investigators say Katrina Smith was beaten to death. “There were several points of blunt-force throughout the body,” Meyers said.

The husband has been with her family, and in and out of the public eye since shortly after she went missing.

Katrina *seemed* to be physically fit. Recent picture(s) indicate she was not a nail biter. (puppy pic)

TS is skinny/scrawny probably not weighing much more than Katrina

We know that she was beaten to death, and we can presume she was placed in the River, possibly placed in a vehicle and removed from the vehicle.

Would this altercation resulted in the perpetrator having bruises, wounds, scrapes etc? Especially a perpetrator that wasn't much bigger than the victim?

I wonder if TS has any bruises, wounds, or scrapes?
Of course MOO and nothing more but I find it possible(and made mention of it much earlier) that in theorizing about estranged husband, Todd's being involved that IMO quite possibly as we've seen in other spousal homicide cases the actual spouse is NOT the actual hand that murders the spouse, but rather is the chief conspirator in premeditating the murder and in that planning chose to keep his hands "clean" of the actual action of committing the murder.. Thus IMO literally killing two birds with one stone in that..
A) He is NOT the actual person that committed the murder
B) This allowing him to actually have the opportunity to establish an airtight, rock solid alibi for the block of time when the actual murder took place.

Tho, as we all know this in reality is in no way "better" or makes him in any way less culpable for the murder as he can still be charged and convicted of first degree murder among other charges re: conspiracy..

So, to cut myself off here in continuing to drone on and on.. IMO at this time I still am of the opinion that *IF* Todd is in fact involved and responsible for Katrina's murder I find it both plausible and possible that there is to some degree an accomplice..and possibly even an accomplice whose hand is actually responsible for the murder...

Again all jmo and nada damn thing more..

ETA: also let not size fool you..as mentioned upthread in the heat of an adrenaline pumping event(which IMO if murdering a spouse is not an adrenaline in overdrive moment then I don't know what is) small stature IMO would not in any way disallow for a death via blunt force trauma..IMO itd not even slow it down..jmo, tho.

I was told that the day after Todd reported Katrina missing they had him come in to answer questions and while he was there LE kicked in his door into the garage to gain entry into the house.

If this is true, he has been a POI for a very long time.

She could very well have been followed & flagged down at the location of her vehicle, coerced into "going for a ride" to discuss their situation & held captive - very possible scenerio. I understand why LE would have gone to this measure. Plus, we don't know what her family told LE about any past experiences. To be honest with you, I am grateful LE cared enough to look "everywhere" for her.

Thieves and carjackers do not tend to beat people to death. The close-up assault of Katrina shows me that the person who killed her was someone who "loved" her or wanted to control her....someone who knew her and whom she knew.
Besides, nothing was stolen that we know of at this point.

So who, other than the person we suspect, would take a woman's car and place it on the side of the road....throw her purse, cell phone, keys and wallet around different places....take off her pants....beat her to death and place her in the water?

I don't see a random killer.....I see someone we all know.....

I know this isn't about me; but back in 1984 my boyfriend kidnapped me in the parking garage at my office building and held me captive for about 16 hours - he was desperate to keep our relationship from falling apart. Yes, I finally manipulated the situation to get free. Our relationship ended a short time later with his suicide.

Bless you, B4igo2it! :hug: I am so very sorry that you had to endure such an extremely traumatic event brought on by zero fault of your own.. Your sharing your experience IMO just further lends credence to what so many of us already know is an established fact.. When a relationship is coming to an end and one of the individuals is abusive or has abusive tendencies and/or is otherwise unstable mentally/emotionally.. It is at this critical and dangerous stage of ending the relationship that poses as the most dangerous and risky time that can often trigger the abusive or unstable individual to harm the very one who he/she claims to love so much.. Almost as if they feel they have nothing to lose at that point(since they know their significant other is moving on) and they feel if they can't have them then NOBODY WILL!

This is becoming more and more recognized as THE MOST CRUCIAL AND DANGEROUS PHASE when the significant other is attempting to move forward, away from the unhealthy and/or abusive relationship.

Hugs to you b4igo2it :hug: ..and thank you for sharing your own personal experience with us..

I know this isn't about me; but back in 1984 my boyfriend kidnapped me in the parking garage at my office building and held me captive for about 16 hours - he was desperate to keep our relationship from falling apart. Yes, I finally manipulated the situation to get free. Our relationship ended a short time later with his suicide.

Wow.... I am sorry you had that experience...

and I am glad you are still alive!:seeya:

From what I have heard from friends on my FB, again this is just RUMOR,
the police were the reason why the door had to be replaced. It wasn't the actual mechanical garage door, but door from garage to house(service type door). When they were notified that Katrina was missing and once the car was found, they entered the home without asking. As in they did a check to make sure she wasn't being held there. I asked why Todd just wouldn't let them in, and have been told he wasn't there & they didn't wait for a key.

I personally think the whole think is just rumor.

For now it is a rumor but a perfectly logical one. From the minute TS reported them missing he was in the crosshairs of many as being the guilty one. If the police went there to look for her and no one was home, they should let themselves in as I stated before, they have probable cause and the right to search the home of someone who is missing as she is the listed and legal owner of the house. No one could actually deny them access as no one has the right to deny them access to the home.

Considering the condition Rockford area cities are in, I certainly wouldn't feel safe staying in that home if people thought I was guilty, nor would I allow my daughters to remain in that home. Take it a step further, and I know this will be hard for many but just think for a moment if TS is innocent and had nothing to do with it, wouldn't it make sense that he has concerns about the safety of his daughters if someone took his wife? It makes sense to stay somewhere else for the time being for the safety of everyone that lives there.

<snipped< ...but if the attacker came from behind maybe not? if she was with/around someone that she trusted and did not expect the attack someone could have hit her once hard enough to knock her out and then hit her more while she was unconscious. jmho as far as him appearing too frail to move a dead body...if there is a will there is a way...for anyone not just him....again jmo

i think her last "errand" is where she was attacked or set up to be attacked... somehow the 9pm demarcation is important i think...also just moo...

That's my thinking ... that she was initially struck from behind, then probably no marks on her attacker's body. This was a crime of rage ... her attacker would have had a tremendous adrenalin rush.

The question still is... if he, or another party, drove her car to where it was found, then someone had to be picked up ... which implicates an accomplice.

Is the location where her car was found in an area where you could just call a cab to be picked up??

well, maybe LE did not consider him a POI in the beginning.

I believe they did ... there have been red flags, his history, comments on the Sheriff's Dept press release dated 10-24, "At this point it is unknown if Ms Smith left on her own or if she is the victim of foul play. Winnebago County Sheriff’s Detectives along with Detectives of the Roscoe Police Department are conducting the investigation."

Someone said the house was in her name, so maybe if she was planning on getting a divorce she was doing some "remodelling" with an eye to selling up?

Facebook rumors which were quickly removed, indicated Katrina had told him she wanted a divorce ... thus the rage. I also do not believe he thought that Katrina was housesitting.

Posted Today by IHAVENOCLUE 03:36 PM

but personally.. Even if it WAS a family member.. And I was crying on his/her shoulder, or expecting moral support from him/her, etc. at the funeral... Then found out afterwards that he/she was the perp....I think I would be enraged... JMO

So would I. I feel so sorry for the family. :heartbeat:

The question still is... if he, or another party, drove her car to where it was found, then someone had to be picked up ... which implicates an accomplice.

Is the location where her car was found in an area where you could just call a cab to be picked up??

[/B]

snipped

I believe that Katrina's car was parked within walking distance to the Tetterhall home. It was a very short distance and like an hours walk iirc.

I do not think there needed to be an accomplice in this case.

jmo

3.3 miles. Well within walking distance especially at night where someone can walk home and not be noticed.

For now it is a rumor but a perfectly logical one. From the minute TS reported them missing he was in the crosshairs of many as being the guilty one. If the police went there to look for her and no one was home, they should let themselves in as I stated before, they have probable cause and the right to search the home of someone who is missing as she is the listed and legal owner of the house. No one could actually deny them access as no one has the right to deny them access to the home.

Considering the condition Rockford area cities are in, I certainly wouldn't feel safe staying in that home if people thought I was guilty, nor would I allow my daughters to remain in that home. Take it a step further, and I know this will be hard for many but just think for a moment if TS is innocent and had nothing to do with it, wouldn't it make sense that he has concerns about the safety of his daughters if someone took his wife? It makes sense to stay somewhere else for the time being for the safety of everyone that lives there.

First I don't think we are even sure that the 1 non college aged daughter even lived with TS at all. She could have very well been living with her moms. I don't think the custody arrangements have even been disclosed. I agree if my wife was missing and I truly though she was already dead I wouldn't want to stay in the same house as I would worry that person was also after me.

That said I would have realized that and called police earlier than 24 hours from the last time I saw her. TS is the prime suspect in my mind because of motive, opportunity and a past of having little regard for human life.

This is in reference to the garage door being broken down while Todd was at the police station. Didn't it take LE a week or so to execute the search warrant on the Smith residence? I don't believe the house was searched immediately after Katrina went missing because some of us wondered why it took so long.

While the estranged spouse is often eyed in cases like this, maybe the crime was random (i doubt it, though). So hard to tell because very little has been released publicly one way or the other.

snipped

I believe that Katrina's car was parked within walking distance to the Tetterhall home. It was a very short distance and like an hours walk iirc.

jmo

Living in this area I can tell you it would be a difficult walk to take without being spotted. It is a very high traffic area with very rare foot traffic. Someone seen walking at night would definitely raise a red flag. mooo

Have they asked people to report if they saw someone walking at night on that road? Since they haven't even announced a POI how would people know to report that sort of activity?

3.3 miles. Well within walking distance especially at night where someone can walk home and not be noticed.

I have to disagree. This and the Rkfd area, isn't known for many "walkers", especially the area the car was left at. There are no sidewalks, and it would make someone take notice if you saw a person walking. Someone would have tipped off LE, maybe they have & it hasn't been released.

Living in this area I can tell you it would be a difficult walk to take without being spotted. It is a very high traffic area with very rare foot traffic. Someone seen walking at night would definitely raise a red flag. mooo

We must have posted at the same time, sorry!

Wow. Im sorry but so glad you're here !!

Thanks for responding to my question concerning where Katrina's car was found! I am not good at all with using the google maps! :D

jmo

I have to disagree. This and the Rkfd area, isn't known for many "walkers", especially the area the car was left at. There are no sidewalks, and it would make someone take notice if you saw a person walking. Someone would have tipped off LE, maybe they have & it hasn't been released.

BBM

Maybe they did tip off LE. It must be good for jogging, as early on in the case, a jogger reported seeing the car abandoned in early morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr